• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto's Genjutsu Equalized Electric Boogaloo thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowbokunohero

VS Battles
Content Moderator
let's hope things can go smoothly

As of recently, there has been a lot of contention in regards to Genjutsu in naruto and how it's Applicable to verse equalization, the lack of a consensus means that we have gotten dozens of threads asking the same question without a clear answer. It's for this reason that I wanted to create this revision thread so that future questions may be directed to this thread for the reason why or why not Genjutsu is applicable in versus debates.

Relevant Thread

Scan 1

Scan 2

The first thing I think we should tackle is the Jiraiya statement which is often the source of all these discussions, the statement in question is often misinterpreted as saying “Genjutsu effects the 5 senses via controlling the flow of chakra in the brain” however the actual statement implies the inverse, Genjutsu effects the 5 senses to take control of the chakra within you, this might at first seem arbitrary but it in fact completely changes the mechanics of how genjutsu works because it implies the sensory manipulation happens first and the control of chakra is just a natural consequence of that.

This is consistent with how most genjutsu is portrayed within the series, where the idea is to target your opponent's senses first, because if the entirety of the genjutsu is created after the fact then that begs the question of what's actually being affected Initially, in which case i don't particularly find the other interpretation consistent or logical (why target the senses at all)

However the most important thing I want you to take away from this is that Jiraiya’s state is inherently an esoteric one, it’s a rule of thumb for shinobi dealing with genjutsu not a statement of fact in regards to how genjutsu operates in every instance, this is because Genjutsu isn't a specific ability, it’s an umbrella term for Illusion based techniques some that have their own internal mechanics, some genjutsu uses the chakra of the victim as a medium, some genjutsu directly sends the users chakra into the victim while other genjutsu has very little to do with internal anatomy of your opponent and are mostly external Genjutsu that act more like conventional illusions. so i find it weird that this statement has become the pillar and unifier for the series treatment of genjutsu regardless of how inconsistent it becomes with different variables, it often feels like the statement is often given the most importance because under certain interpretations it’s more charitable to the idea for a specialized system that cant be equalized that results in its ineffectiveness.

This is the section where it branches out into different sub-arguments but ill do my best to cover everything so let's first start with the premise.

Chakra isn't Inherently needed to be affected by Genjutsu, Chakra within the body that is, the easiest example to illustrate is the Infinite Tsukuyomi, a Genjutsu that was used to enslave mankind thousands of years ago, long before humans were gifted the ability to create chakra By Hagoromo and by proxy long before humans likely had a chakra system within their anatomy. However, this type of genjutsu isn't restricted solely to just that jutsu. It has been replicated by more pedestrian genjutsu Like Kabuto’s sleep genjutsu that affected an entire stadium of normal citizens or Itachi using genjutsu to control a regular woman.

These examples are important to highlight because normal people in naruto do not passively have large amounts of chakra flowing through them, specifically not the amounts that are needed for genjutsu chakra needs to be consciously created by mixing your physical and spiritual energy, so while everyone can make chakra they don't have it running through their system 24/7, at best they have small amounts located at their centre. This is exacerbated by the fact that's it’s extremely hard to actually get chakra to flow to specific parts of your body away from the centre, as a reference this is how shinobi look when they are not focusing chakra in specific parts] of their system let alone normal people, the discrepancy between normal people and shinobi is also further explored in the Shikamaru novel.

[https://imgur.com/PQRLK5s Scan 1]

[https://imgur.com/qCwRERA Scan 2]

However, this premise, in turn, has branched into different types of arguments so let's tackle them one by one.

'“ This does not Particularly matter if people don't themselves have chakra because chakra is still being sent into them"

This one isn't Super important to the overall point but I thought I'd discuss it anyway in which case this is Partially true, sharingan Genjutsu actively pours chakra into the enemy to take control of their senses, however more common genjutsu affects the senses to control the chakra already inside the person, yet these people still fall prey to the effects of Genjutsu despite actively not having chakra poured into them or having the required amount of chakra to control their flow, the implications here support the premise that Genjutsu is first and foremost sensory manipulation before chakra manipulation and that the latter is simply a consequence of the former as opposed to an intrinsic mechanic of the jutsu. It also supports the argument of Jiraiya’s statement being contextual to Shinobi’s who actually do have chakra flowing constantly within them during combat.

"Even if the characters send chakra into their opponents it wouldn't work because people outside naruto dont have an energy system connected to their nervous system which is what is required for the jutsu to take effect”'

This is Incorrect, this limitation is never established within the series and is entirely assumed based on a statement that infers a different meaning with a genjutsu mechanic that's entirely different from what the Sharingan genjutsu does, the only connecting tissue here is that they both happen to be called genjutsu. Another issue with this argument is that it adds characteristics to the chakra pathway system solely based on the fact that it’s connected to the actual thing that reproduces those characteristics, this doesn't really make a lot of sense because regardless of your stance of when the manipulation takes place, the fact of the matter is that it’s still the physical senses that are producing those effects, chakra is merely the catalyst and if you can replace that catalyst with something that can replicate the same effect then it really doesn't matter.

However, the biggest oversight this argument makes is that the mechanic of sending chakra into your opponent's eyes to take control of their chakra system involves the user's chakra flowing through the nervous system to connect to the chakra pathway anyway. It’s particularly egregious when Shinobi themselves have a specific ability called chakra flow which allows them to flow chakra into a variety of things, ranging from wood,steel,water,flesh,corpses ect yet we are expected to draw the line at the nervous system a feat that chakra has objectively demonstrated to do just from the opposite end of what this argument assumes. It's the equivalent of arguing that it's impossible to get nutrients into a man with no mouth despite the existence of IV's

While I feel that this topic should be put to rest, I should also mention that the fact that the Sharingan can affect tailed beasts while they are sealed in their host and lack a physical form is also fairly strong supporting evidence, while not inherently impressive because tailed beasts are entirely made out of chakra and thus likely easier to control than having to manipulate through a specific medium it does still dismiss the idea that it’s the chakra system’s unique anatomical position that allows genjutsu to work as opposed to what the system is carrying (chakra) something that can be replicated without the need for a pathway.

“Kurama can knead chakra which likely implies he has chakra network of some kind”

Being able to build up chakra isn't evidence of a chakra network, because the chakra pathway doesn't create chakra it distributes it. You don't need to distribute it when your entire being is made out of chakra.

* You don't even need the chakra system to inherently channel and distribute chakra or even use ninjutsu, Sasori had an entirely artificial body with the only organic element being his heart and was doing very well for himself.

* Kurama was able to gather nature energy and create senjutsu while being a Chakra Avatar.

An excerpt was used as evidence that Sharingan Jutsu bypasses the need for a chakra pathway system, while the opposition argued that the mention of the chakra flow as evidence that it was needed even for the sharingan and that the only difference between the Mangekyo sharingan and the regular sharingan was the timeframe for the jutsu’s effect.

The issue with both of these interpretations is that it uses the term “Flow of chakra” as a synonym for the chakra pathway within someone, this isn't the case the term Flow of Chakra here is literally referring to the act of chakra flowing, it’s not a noun but a verb, we know this because the sentenced is attached to a larger one which is explaining the actions needed to perform the specific ability

“for the visual jutsu of a normal sharingan, your gaze has to intersect with

the gaze of your intended target to some degree. You need that direct action,

"and the flow of chakra.”

This is also because this is meant to contrast with what comes next

“But the Mangekyo sharingan allows me to sidestep all

that a bit. I just have to look at my target’s eyes, and I can pour my chakra in,

even if our gazes aren’t intersecting. And the amount of chakra is several

times more than with normal sharingan. So the target falls into the visual

jutsu instantly.”

Instead of requiring the gaze to intersect the user can now freely perform the genjutsu as long as they can see their target’s eyes, the Mangekyo also increases the amount of chakra improving the potency of the jutsu allowing the victim fall instantly into the genjutsu.

This Part of the sentence “and I can pour my chakra in,even if our gazes aren’t intersecting”

is referring to the same thing as “and the flow of chakra” in the earlier sentence because they are referring to the same action, the only difference is the removal of the limitations of the gaze and the chakra amount.

All that this proves is that Sharingan genjutsu is sent into the eyes of the target and awakening the Mangekyo gives you access to more chakra that makes the Jutsu deadlier. Nothing more and nothing less.

Genjutsu should work as long as one of two criteria are met, the person in question has senses tied to a Physical body or is made out of energy that can be equalized to chakra, of course, how effective the genjutsu is will entirely rely on a case to case basis, either the specific genjutsu, the person performing the ability and how it matches with other verse mechanics. however, the bigger point here is that not having chakra or a chakra pathway system does not give you Inherent resistance to Genjutsu.

'''Post Credit Scene'''

Next CRT

Agree: 19 (UchihaSlayer,Lordtracer,God900,Arckuroi,Rocker, AdNiBN002,Kidkinsey,animesfreaks2,Blastx2,Baken384,joshpiece,gokusparkle,Naruriasuzumaki, Painto12,Roygundam,XSoulofcinderx,Darkdragonmedeus,The_Alxhemist,XXKingxx69)

Disagree: (jieldre)

Neutral: 1 (LordGriffin9000,Loyd)

Last edited:
Cringe name.
yes-giga-chad.gif

"a Genjutsu that was used to enslave mankind thousands of years ago, long before humans were gifted the ability to create chakra by Hagoromo and by proxy long before humans likely had a chakra system within their anatomy."

Frankly i think this should be quite conclusive.

I'd also like to expand upon this by mentioning that Ino's Mind-Transfer Jutsu is also described to have the same premise of "mixing your physical and spiritual energy" as was stated during the Chunin exams.
The same Mind-Transfer Jutsu that capable of taking over a simple bird, which naturally shouldn't have a chakra network (as far as we know lol).

0072-010.png
0332-008.png

we don't know, however, I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to make and I think it's fine to take both Positions to believe or not to believe they are similar.

I think a case can be made that not a ton of chakra flows within them as creating more chakra requires a level of sentience and Intelligence normal animals are not capable of.

Chakra isn't Inherently needed to be affected by Genjutsu, Chakra within the body that is, the easiest example to illustrate is the Infinite Tsukuyomi, a Genjutsu that was used to enslave mankind thousands of years ago, long before humans were gifted the ability to create chakra By Hagoromo and by proxy long before humans likely had a chakra system within their anatomy.
How does this affects Boruto's Otsutsuki lore? The Shinju, as far as I remember, is now supposed to be a Jūbi planted in the planet to suck the chakra out of all the living beings in the planet in order to bear the fruit; something quite anomalous if nobody had any chakra at all before Kaguya ate it.

How does this affects Boruto's Otsutsuki lore? The Shinju, as far as I remember, is now supposed to be a Jūbi planted in the planet to suck the chakra out of all the living beings in the planet in order to bear the fruit; something quite anomalous if nobody had any chakra at all before Kaguya ate it.
the text specifies humans, not life in general. also, the Boruto manga tends to use Chakra as a blanket term for life energy in a more homogenized way as not only do these Tree's suck up genetic information but reduce entire planet's to wastelands and it's specifically noted that things like water and tree's ect are made of nature energy and not chakra.

Yeah, I think I'd like to clear up a certain point about Chakra vs other forms of energy in Naruto.

Chakra isn't something that's naturally there within everyone; it's a form of energy that is actively produced by Shinobi. Its primary components, however, are indeed present within all living creatures.

These components are what we know as Mental and Physical energy. By mixing these two together, chakra is produced, which is then used for a variety of reasons.

It should be noted that "chakra" and its primary components are used interchangeably within the series A LOT.
So when the Ōtsutsuki lore mentions the Shinjū absorbing the planet's "chakra", it's more than likely referring to all manner of life energies that reside within creatures, be it mental/physical energies, kneaded chakra, or even Nature Energy. This makes sense as the majority of the Earth's population are not even capable of creating chakra, but they do possess its primary components.
This makes even more sense when we consider the fact that Kaguya used the Infinite Tsukuyomi long before Hagoromo taught people how to produce chakra.

Last edited:
I agree 100% plus when sasuke checks to see if team 7 is under GJ during the chunin exams their chakra network literally isn't messed up and there's more examples
I used to just argue sharingan Genjutsu works out of verse because arguing non occular was a headache but not anymore😭

@Shadowbokunohero

GOATED THREAD

based-gigachad.gif

Also thank u for clearing up that misconception fr on the first part

Genjutsu manipulates the 5 senses to control your chakra.....not the other freaking way around:

5041786-7966438633-Genju.png

Genjutsu is something that works on your opponent's 5 Senses.....To control the chakra flowing and linking their cranial nerves

Also some more evidence just to add

My friend made a whole thread on this years that went into much detail

All I hear is that Itachi is the strongest character in fiction #Dont@me + ratio + cope + Itachi literally lives rent free in your mind + skill issue + Itachi cancelled your life Izumi Tsukuyomi style gg + 80 years in 1/100 of 1/100 of 1/1000 of a second

In all seriousness, I appreciate the breadth of effort that was put into this. I’ve read it like three times before I felt confident enough to comment my agreement without feeling like I’d have to defend my position for 5 pages on end. Shadow touched on some points and aspects that even I felt would be difficult to cover in favor of genjutsu mechanics.

Well done.

All I hear is that Itachi is the strongest character in fiction #Dont@me + ratio + cope + Itachi literally lives rent free in your mind + skill issue + Itachi cancelled your life Izumi Tsukuyomi style gg + 80 years in 1/100 of 1/100 of 1/1000 of a second
Cope Madara solos

and I agree, good that we got it clarified

its just me or I don’t see the point of all of this?

Jiraya statement indeed imply that the senses are manipulated by the manipulation of the chakra flow, because he then say that by stopping it, genjutsu can be undone that is why external people can free you from genjustu by changing your flow. People in naruto have a chakra pathway system even around the brain, by inserting chakra here you manipulate it. That’s why the novel statement. That’s how they manipulate the brain.

I can agree somehow that people with energy systems can be affected (that depends by energy equalisation) but I don’t see nothing in this thread that proves genjutsu work on people without a form of spiritual energy.

its just me or I don’t see the point of all of this?

Jiraya statement indeed imply that the senses are manipulated by the manipulation of the chakra flow, because he then say that by stopping it, genjutsu can be undone that is why external people can free you from genjustu by changing your flow. People in naruto have a chakra pathway system even around the brain, by inserting chakra here you manipulate it. That’s why the novel statement. That’s how they manipulate the brain.

I can agree somehow that people with energy systems can be affected (that depends by energy equalisation) but I don’t see nothing in this thread that proves genjutsu work on people without a form of spiritual energy.
ive addressed all of this within the OP.

I'm neutral. I have my own thoughts on genjutsu and how it works in other verses but that's more of my personal preference/interpretation. However that's not to say I disagree with the OP's personal so I'm not against what's being suggested so if enough people agree, I don't have a problem with that.

I have a few contentions that I hope to bring up before this thread concludes mainly regarding the Jiraiya statement and overall how we treat some resistances in Naruto. Overall however I do agree with the overall proposal that genjutsu should work under the verse equalization standards and would work on characters from other works as well

I disagree mainly with the suggestion given for the interpretation of the 2 scans provided here. Jiraiya states two separate sentences here. It is not perfectly clear to infer from these statements whether genjutsu controls the senses first which leads to a subsequent after effect of control of chakra in the opponent’s body or it’s the other way around as a case can be made for both the interpretations. The only way to infer more about this is to go through different scenarios of the usage of genjutsu and how it’s broken out of to come to logical conclusion on which one is it, which is what I will kinda do here.

First I would like to bring more attention to the statement made by Jiraiya on the control of chakra in the opponent’s cranial nerves. I feel this is important because the user of the genjutsu is targeting the brain specifically which is interlinked to all of your body’s 5 senses and helps us process the signals sent out by our sensory organs. The specific usage of cranial nerves also seems to point out to this as cranial nerves are what transfer sensory information from different parts of one’s body to their brain. This consist of sensory nerves which help transmit info on smell, touch etc you get the deal. This is important because controlling one’s chakra in the cranial nerves would help one control all their 5 senses and how a person perceives things.

Kakashi throughout the series notes how Sakura is a genjutsu type due to her adept and exceptional chakra control which would be very difficult for even seasoned and experienced shinobi like Jiraiya to accomplish. This is further backed up when she easily breaks out of Kabuto’s genjutsu during the chunin exams by disrupting her chakra as well as helping others out of it as well. . Sakura was considered a genjutsu type purely because of how exceptional her chakra control is which is essential for a genjutsu type since they would have to control the chakra in their opponent’s body with precision to make them fall into illusions.

We see this trend of disrupting chakra all throughout the series one instance being Killer Bee breaking out of Sasuke’s MS genjutsu due to Hachibi disrupting his chakra flow for him and stating that it wouldn’t work on people who have timed their tailed beasts because they would do the same further reinforcing what Jiraiya stated. (Albeit Sasuke was new to his MS and might not know how to control it properly and use genjutsu’s as proficient as Itachi. )

Not disagreeing with anything specifically here. Just wanted to add that we see Hinata use the 8 trigrams 64 palms on the ten tail clones during the war which trargets acupoints in the chakra network. It could be that tailed beasts have chakra networks. If the ten tail clones have acupoints that Byakugan techniques work against meansthey would have a chakra network. If clones of ten tails has a chakra network I would assume that the main body does so as well as well as other biju since they are kinda similar in physiology overall even though there's a massive difference between each of their power.

Excluding the tailed beast section all the above factors considered it does seem to logical in general that most genjutsu work on the principle of controlling the senses of one’s opponent through controlling the chakra flow in their cranial nerves which is responsible for processing all information related to our 5 senses and which also probably why good chakra control is required for shinobi that have potential with genjutsu.
Note: There are exceptions to this like Kotomatsukami, Infinite tsukuyomi etc which have more factors and complications invloved but in general this seems to be the case.

Since the cause is the control the opponent has on your chakra flow which is making one vulnerable to their opponent’s illusions then the most logical counter measure would be to break free from this control and disrupt the chakra flow within you that the genjutsu user is controlling.This seems much more logical than control of chakra merely being an after effect of a person’s 5 senses being affected and somehow disrupting this totally unrelated after effect leads to breaking out of the genjutsu (control of the 5 senses) imo.

Now this part of the response is totally unrelated in sense but I do find important to address since the topic of genjutsu has come up here. Feel free to ignore this if you feel like it's derailing from the topic. Hopefully people who made it till this portion read this when you get the time as I feel this is an important issue that should be clarified.
1. While going through the profile I noticed that characters like Sakura in part 1 have resistance to mind manip listed for I assume her feat of breaking out of Kabuto's genjutsu during the Chunin exams. My issue or clarification I need regarding this if it is actually resistance or is it sort of like an unconventional resistance/ weakness due to how genjutsu works in the verse. Whether the control of charka leads to control of senses or the other way round whatever the case might be character's in Naruto have clearly shown for general genjutsu ( ignoring broken ones like tsukuyomi and such) just purely disrupting one's own chakra flow helps them break out of it. But outside of Naruto verse there are plenty of characters whose mind manip doesn't work in the same manner and just disrupting their own chakra flow doesn't help them get out of it. So would a character like Sakura when facing off against such a character be able to break out of his/her mind manip/illusions regardless of potency of the hax? If yes why so?
2. The biju are able to break their hosts out of genjutsu in the same manner as pointed above i.e by disrupting chakra. Assuming in a vs debate both sides have complete knowledge of each other and their weaknesses and the opponent of the genjutsu user has proficient control of their energy would they be able to disrupt the flow of their energy to break out of the genjutsu? (Again I am talking about regular genjutsu here and not op ones's like izanami, izanagi etc.) If not why so?

Special thanks to everyone who made it till here. Here's something great to keep you guys entertained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back