• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nanatsu no Taizai Discussion Thread 19

Actually the legend is supposed be different I heard

I heard he got a different sword from the Lady of the Lake

And got Excalibur from a witch aka Merlin

There are two main versions of Excalibur's origin.

1- It was the sword in the stone.

2- It was granted to him by the Lady of the Lake after he lost his first sword.

There have been some people speculating that the Lady in the Lake is Dahlia the second Fairy King (Queen).

Siegfried10 said:
There are two main versions of Excalibur's origin.

1- It was the sword in the stone.

2- It was granted to him by the Lady of the Lake after he lost his first sword.
The sword in the stone is Caliburn. My boi Arthur broke that sword and the Lady of the lake gave Excalibur to him.

The sword in the stone is Caliburn. My boi Arthur broke that sword and the Lady of the lake gave Excalibur to him.

Caliburn is just another name of Excalibur, like Caledfwlch. But yeah, thats the most famous version of the myth.

Yeah I thought he got Excalibur first then something happened to that one and he got a new sword from the Lady of the lake

Check this if you want.

What I had read is the same as the guy replying:

"Everyone seems to have found different answers, and again after several years of obsessive research on the subject, I found a slightly different interpretation. What I found was that Caliburn was originally Uther Pendragon's sword, and after he died Merlin took his sword and stuck it into that rock, enchanting the blade so that no one could remove it. It later became known as the king's sword or the sword of the king when after many years of trying no one was able to remove it.

Obviously, Arthur removed it, and it became his main sword. Later, Arthur received Excalibur from the lady of the lake, then several years later returned it to the lady of the lake. The last part is kind of hazy, but, he ends up getting it again, for the final battle, and after his death, during the final battle, merlin throws it back into the lake; returning it to the lady of the lake."

Expecting some outrageous statement like "A single swing of his sword could cut the World itself in half" or something like that.

What place does Arthur really have in the story right now tho, it wouldn't feel right with me if he took down the Demon King and if he took out the Indura, wouldn't it make the rest of the sins useless? I feel they should save Arthur for the so called sequel or spin-off, but maybe I'm wrong

According to author Arthur will likely to be the most powerful character, but Nakaba changes his mind a lot. Well, maybe if Arthur has the power to compete with other god tier characters it's bad for some people, I do not particularly see a problem since it's well explained why.

i dont mind.. bout time we see a human get some love.. merlin might not be humana nd ban dont even count as human anymore

Merlin is confirmed as human, and Ban is fully human now that he has given up his immortality.

If the theory that Arthur is training in purgatory is true, then he would be far more powerful than Ban, just for the crazy time he stayed there.

In addition to what we still do not know about Arthur's ability, it may be something that will allow him to survive in purgatory, or something that will bring him back to life when he is almost dead.

I'm very much looking forward to Arthur, I hope it's not in vain.

Muuuuh said:
Merlin is confirmed as human, and Ban is fully human now that he has given up his immortality.
If the theory that Arthur is training in purgatory is true, then he would be far more powerful than Ban, just for the crazy time he stayed there.

In addition to what we still do not know about Arthur's ability, it may be something that will allow him to survive in purgatory, or something that will bring him back to life when he is almost dead.

I'm very much looking forward to Arthur, I hope it's not in vain.
Nah there's no way Merlin is what you can call a human anymore. Stopped in time, blessed by the gods even when meager demons can transmutate others to demonic creatures.

what does that change?

Having magical powers does not change your race, the level of your power does not change your race.

Muuuuh said:
what does that change?
Having magical powers does not change your race, the level of your power does not change your race.
The entire plot of Taizai used to be about watching how fleeting the human life is to these other worldly beings, giants, fairies. Merlin is like thousands of years old and affected by both demonic and angelic power.

although this has been addressed, the plot does not even come close to being about it.

Also, having power or not getting old does not make you another race. Meliodas did not stop being a Demon for stopping growing old.

Merlin mentioned in the movie that she's something like Ban's "former human" status. While she was born human she received so many magical enhancements she doesn't consider herself human.

Zezu1995 said:
i dont mind.. bout time we see a human get some love.. merlin might not be humana nd ban dont even count as human anymore
Why does Ban not count, tho?

She may not consider, but well, biology does not even exist in that world, it does not make much difference what she thinks in the end. She's just a human with a lot of buffs. If she is not human, Escanor would not be, Arthur would not be, etc ... It would not make sense.

Sure thing, by that logic she is "human". But you have to consider that her physiology has been altered to what is completely beyond anything human or any other species really, even in the context of the series. Her considering herself "former human" is nothing outlandish at all, she has more than 3000 of accumulated knowledge from her studies and experiments, so her word can only be taken as at least highly credible. We also have to consider that we know nothing about the Wizard Clan from Belialuin. It's heavily implied that they themselves were not normal, as Merlin mentioned that her original name is "unpronounceable by humans" and they seem to have been far more connected to magic than the standard Human.

Not really. They have considerable differences in every sense and his profile is very saturated with information and different keys so separating his profiles is a good idea for cleaning purposes. This also helps avoid spoilers for people who are waiting the Anime and not reading the Manga.

Back