• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid V: Dread(ing the future for the franchise)

I'm not quite certain how many we'd need, but depends on how many characters we think of.

1) Should this just be some sort of discussion thread by itself?

2) So far we've thought of characters that more or less start out as the strongest character in their verse (Samus and Doomslayer) or become the strongest very fast (Dante at the end of DMC1). Should we include charaters that end up as the strongest at the end of their story? Would that basically be the bottom tier?

So far I've thought of a few protagonists, but characters that are villains, side characters etcetera should be their own separate list.

Last edited:
I mentioned this a while ago but I made a gif for proof of Samus having Precognition even before Other M:

Notice that when Samus starts typing on the computer keyboard, she stops, looks up as if she realized somehthing is wrong and then looks to the window behind her before the blue light from Dark Samus start to show in the window. Once Samus looks up and stops typing, Rundas then looks at Samus, then towards the window to see what she's looking at.

I still can't believe they did my boy Rundas ******* dirty like that. Shouldn't of been the first to go.

Also, anyone seen this?
I saw the article a while ago but paid it no mind since the job description could just be a job description that sounds nice. Prime 4 being more cinematic or emotional isn't a lot to go off of. Granted, the idea of Nintendo actually starting to give more attention to the story after Metroid being around for over 30 years is promising. One quote from the article is a bit suspect: "This may sound like pretty boilerplate stuff, but again, the original Metroid Prime Trilogy had almost no cinematics and was about as emotionally resonant as a trip to the DMV." Yeah, nothing emotional or exiting happened out side of gameplay. None whatsoever...

>more cinematic and emotional.
After the last time I don't want anything even resembling "cinematic and emotional" touching Metroid.

It's basically guaranteed Sylux is gonna be a big part of 4 so I wonder what's gonna happen with him, given he's been hyped up and been shown in after credits for like a decade and a half now.

Let's hope they actually make it more like Samus and Joey instead of that Other game that doesn't exist.

Prime 4, if it's more cinematic, I hope it doesn't go overboard. Metroid has always been great and excels in environmental story telling or drip feeding. Take Dark Souls for example, it's well renown for doing story in bits, that you gotta look for or with the environment, a show don't tell approach. But Dark Souls sure as **** wasn't the first to do that, Prime 1 and Super did that even before it, with the case of Prime, having the story being given with scanlogs and Chozo texts. Something akin to that would be best suited to Metroid's vibes and aesthetic, of course some cinematics and point blank story telling is fine too like in Prime 3 (I actually like Prime 3 a lot, some parts can be a tad excessive but overall it's good, the scene posted above is a good example of it doing it right), just don't go overboard and make it Metroid Prime 4: Guns of the Patriots is my thoughts. Focus on what makes Metroid so atmospheric and simply supplement it with cutscenes and forced scripting.

Anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk.

I'm fine with an emotional story and more personality for Samus, I just don't think the man who was in charge of her writing in that game should be allowed anywhere near that aspect of it again.

The only good characters in Other M were Ridley, Anthony, and the monster enemies.

I'm guessing the shock eventually wears off and Samus decides to just, go along with it.

iu

Out of curiosity, if Samus' weapons and abilities were "scaled down" to be somewhat comparable to what's in Halo, what would we end up with? Some crossovers have characters from different series get scaled up or down so no one is left in the dust.

The Power Beam is about on par with the Plasma Rifle, Missiles the Missile Pods, Super Missiles are a tad stronger than Spanker rockets. Not sure what Power bombs would be, making them as strong as nukes would be appropriate but maybe a bit too strong? With the Ice/Wave/Spazer/Plasma Beam Samus would basically be shooting three Fuel Rod rounds at a time with rapid fire, infinite ammo, charge for a more powerful shot as well as going through cover, armor and transparent energy shields. On top of that, if you somehow aren't dead from one shot, you're frozen solid by the Ice Beam effect so you might as well be dead. The question is how would this effect someone like the Didact? I remember reading that his armor's shields can eventually become immune to something if the Didact gets hit enough by it. Energy Tanks could work like over shields worth of strength, but more on the strength of Gold Armor Elites instead of Spartan 2s.

Samus' weapons seem to be the only power ups that can get scaled down, everything else like Gravity Suit and Space Jump should work as normal. That by itself would make Samus one of the strongest characters in Halo, even if her physical abilities ended up being a little less than a Spartan 2. A Metroid crossover haven't happened outside of Smash and Samus is a very powerful character so I've been wondering how Samus' abilities would work somewhere else.

Why does Samus' Scan Visor never get brought up in VS debates? It's a very powerful tool that I've never seen brought up in all the Samus debates I've seen.

Well, we did back when me and SD used to partake in a lot more Vs Threads. But I have since started caring less for Vs Threads given how much drama or even sometimes nonsensical things can get.

Badass.

Other M always makes me sad.

It had several ideas that were quite interesting, if only it had done literally anything at all with said ideas.

I genuinely don't think anyone I've talked to about it realizes the sheer scale of how much potential Other M had, and how thoroughly it ****** up.

Samus's trauma over the death of her adopted child.

The Baby having given Samus new abilities hitherto never heard of, possibly even living on within her.

The resurrection of Mother Brain in a human body, with an established conflict between her original and new personalities.

The implied possibility of a reincarnated Mother Brain as an ally.

Ridley's life cycle, and the revelation that he retains not only his incredible cunning, but his memories and hatred of Samus even in death. Like, goddammit Nintendo you were this close to having the most kickass and personal archnemesis relationship in any of your games.

The additional reveal of Ridley's ability to make other organisms more violent and aggressive, and Mother Brain's ability to keep even the most violent creatures organized, explaining why they relied on each other to lead the space pirates and how they formed such a terrifying army.

Mother Brain and Ridley now having access to an entire ecosystem of potential bioweapons.

Metroids now immune to their only weakness.

A battle between Ridley and a Queen Metroid.

The possibility of corruption within the Galactic Federation.

Samus's relationship with Adam, the man who would eventually become the consciousness of her ship.

The entire character of Anthony, a likeable former compatriot and fellow badass who chose to remain with the Federation while Samus went solo.

The origins of Nightmare.

The revelation of Phantoon as an eldritch entity that is far more powerful than it originally appeared.

Or even, since it's a ship collecting unique organisms from around the universe, the return of the cute little critters from Super Metroid. Maybe even Crocomire or some other former creatures.

Like, ****, Nintendo. How do you have THIS MUCH potential, and let one man **** it up so thoroughly.

Last edited:
Metroid's Universe has always had a lot of ****** up shit; but it goes to show how badass Samus Aran would have to be to live in such as verse.

Ian Malchovich's death is implied to be the reason why Samus left the GF military. This has loads of potential as well. I figured Samus would have left eventually, but the death of someone she thought she could have saved (even if she couldn't) being the catalyst to be come a bounty hunter could be cool, but it's only used to explain why Adam apparently holds a grudge against Samus despite not being hostile when Samus and Adam talked to each other in the backstory manga:

sc_metroid_v02_ch0099.png

Something I just thought of, how much strength is required to get out of lava after being fully submerged? Samus can do this in her weakest suit, yet characters Samus is compared to (like Master Chief) would get killed by this. Even if some like Chief has a lava proof suit, could they even get out? Asking "can [blank] survive getting submerged in lava" sounds random out of context, buy it could be an easy question to separate the wheat from the chaff as it were.

What's the biggest thing Samus ever killed? For a while I thought it was Other M Phantoon until I saw this:

Rg2ozn8.jpg

Warrior Ing are a LOT bigger than I thought they were, no wonder they're so tanky. If you want a size comparison for Other M Phantoon, here it is next to Other M Ridley:

iu

Back