• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid V: Dread(ing the future for the franchise)

I mean, considering they revised most of the lore between the NA and GBL releases, Nintendo JP and EUR don't seem to disagree with Retro. Not to mention they revised it (albeit slightly in comparison to the other versions) with the MPT release, still not changing the math tho. Other sources?

IR1762 (common name: Planet Zebes)
Secondary planetary revolution of fixed star FS-176 : 287.341
Rotation cycle: 13 hours 21 minutes 33 seconds
Equatorial radius: 5201.156 km
Polar radius: 5187.987 km
Surface area: 3.197x10^8 sq km
Volume : 5.851×10^11 cubic km
Weight: 4.974×10 ^24 kg
Average density: 9.18 g/cc
Ecliptic inclination angle: 12.18°

Japanese Super Metroid guide apparently. Also I mean, that could still just be a case of not caring or not knowing how to math. Im not saying it's wrong, but it's almost certainly a case of them not knowing what they're saying.

Actually, Retro does know math. They made a lot of corrections in various remakes, and fixed typos, but the 960 G thing has been left untouched. Plus, the only other source was actually made by a company even worse at math. Ape is the same company that said Earth was only 5.9 * 10^21 kg when it's more like 5.9 * 10^24 kg. Which would explain the 4.9 * 10^24 as opposed to 4.8 * 10^27. Furthermore, Tallon IV and the other 3 planets are still completely uncontradicted, including one of the gas giants that heavily dwarfs Jupiter. Also, Zebes and Tallon are both described as "Super dense planets" and mentions that Chozo being one of the few races strong enough to live in such environments.

We're well aware of that guidebook, I addressed that. It's non-canon and made by a 3rd party company where as the other comes from a 1st party company and consistent with the numbers of the other 4 planets. Also, Metroid is far from realistic given the lore that can get real crazy. Casual planet busters, Massively FTL+ as casual space travel intergalactic ships, Cosmic distortion plagues, ghosts who exist above and beyond all time and space, DBZ like physics regarding how the Arm Cannon functions, ect.

Ape Inc.'s guidebook? Hmmm, strange. Not only does the translation (By Metroid Database) not cover much of Zebes at all, the actual book doesn't mention anything like that. So that wasn't something that would come into mind.

Doing some more digging, it seems that someone added false info into the Zebes page regarding the guidebook discussing the statistics of Zebes. Their page covering the guidebook even links everything translated. Might have to ask them more about that.

Oh yeah, wasn't that discovered by some guy who literally got banned from a lot of places for "Vandalism" and what not? And he deleted his Twitter account out of shame when he got caught or something? I know the first time anyone heard of this guy was on Spacebattles. And it was someone passionate about the classic Master Chief Vs Samus Aran debates that have been deemed stomp every since Metroid's lore has been elaborated.

In that case I'd just assume both are bad at math, at least in retro's case, I doubt they figured anyone would try and get a gravity value off it even if the values are intended to be correct.

Given its not really as straight forward as you're making it, there's contradictions all over, both for and against it.

I accept it and have no issue with it being used, should probably make that clear, but mostly because it's the best we got, it probably does have extreme gravity, the 955g is probably a unintended side effect of canon numbers being used to gather info that was glossed over by the developers. That doesn't make it wrong, and this is all just conjecture, but still.

The funny thing, is that in Europe for example, Billion is 10^12 and Trillion is 10^18 as opposed to NA's respective 10^9 and 10^12 numerals. So if Nintendo of Europe agrees with it, Zebes would actually have 960,000,000 G's. Now that would be whack as it would basically make Zebes a black hole. LOL

What? I have no issue if what I quoted is bullshit. If it's from some asshole giving false info then yeah, **** it.

But 995g is a bit excessive given other info we have, like Mother Brain saying humans can naturally survive in Crateria (even though iirc, choco shielding doesn't cover that section so it'd be subject to the full natural effects), other planetary objects and environments that should be comparable to Zebes being nowhere near lethal, etc. Like I get having high gravity, but nearly 1k seems to be an unitended side effect when looked at with other info, given that's enough to instantly kill someone a bunch over, not exactly what I'd call a place humans can naturally live in. Though it's also the only canon info we have so it's technically not wrong either.

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you meant meta contradictions, yeah, I could see what you're talking about.

@DDM Black Hole Resistance when?

Most humans who lived on Zebes have actually been genetically engineered via other sources to increase survivability. And others may or may not have access to suits that enable them to resist gravity. But planets like Aether do have unknown levels of gravity and thus we'd avoid high numbered assumptions.

What about Galaxy wide mind manipulation? @SomebodyData

Oh I'm sorry for bringing off-site stuff here It's just that places like DB will now be using those arguments potentially to argue for a nerfed Samus and I just think it's kinda strange.

But they've been recently boosting tons of anime and comic characters while aeemingly finding dirt on game characters (like apparently Mario a few months back was said to have his speed nerfed).

I still think 5-B is fine and MFTL+ and I just don't want to see my girl get downplayed if she comes back to DB.

Though speaking of 5-Bs, where would we say Samus ranks in terms of the hax scale?

No idea, light novel 5-Bs tend to take the cake when it comes to hax.

Outside of that, when it comes to the wiki I'd say upper 50%ish

Yeah, she's no where near all those Light Novel/Visual Novel levels of hax, but she's very haxed for First Person character standards without any doubt. And would pretty much solo most of Pre-Super Canon Dragon Ball. Her hax scale is considered roughly Classic Megaman tier. Also, if we're talking about YouTubers, I'd say Just A Robot and ProtoDude are probably the YouTube channels that actually debate characters the right way.

The 960g thing sounds silly, but it might as well be true since, in Metroid Other M, Samus walked through heavy gravity just fine and was able to do this:

Samus didn't even seem to put much effort into this. She moved herself to left using just her legs and turned her Grapple Beam off, causing the Vorash to be launched into a wall so hard it died.

Also, isn't there a calc somewhere for the heavy gravity Samus walked through in Other M?

I recall it being calculated that gravity or not, Samus would need like Class M lifting strength to effortless run through lava with such ease. Also, it was accepted she already has Planet Class striking strength since her punches daze foes with Planet level durability. I also already have it calculated that Kraid is Class M on Zebes via sheer size.

A section that always makes me giggle is when Samus gets smacked by the Pirate Commander near the end of Prime 3:

Even without precognition Samus had plenty of time to dodge but she just... doesn't, and make a very ungraceful landing to boot. I'm gessing Samus doesn't dodge for the sake of having a boss fight and there's not much more to it, but the only posible explanation I can think of is maybe Phazon corruption has dulled her senses and movement to a degree when she isn't in Hyper Mode.

Or maybe she was just pulling a Goku, purposely taking a hit to test how strong her foe is.

Well we know phazon damages precognition users, and samus seems pretty sickly after every leviathan battle.

Phazon does null precognition and a bunch of other stuff, but Samus does develop resistance to it with each encounter.

If that was the case, Samus has a competitive side to her. Interesting.
Samus was able to establish herself as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy fairly quickly before the first Metroid game and is known as the Galaxy's Greatest Warrior. She's not in it for titles, but she is a warrior and doesn't want to lose her status now that she has it. There's also plenty of times where Samus does flips and tricks while flying her gunship and does the Super Hero Landing plenty in Samus Returns. It seems to me that if Samus is presented with the opportunity to be flashy, she will take it.

Oh yeah, Samus is a badass with a friendly heart. I’ve read the Metroid manga.

They presented Samus much better than Other M...

It's funny how both of the manga seems to have better characterization of Samus than the game made by the main person behind the series, even after he stole was inspired by both.

There was character in Metroid Fusion also, in which she's also similar to her manga personality. Where's she's exceptionally loyal, albiet may question authorities. And very smart albeit a bit temperamental. She's not the 14 year Daddy's girl Other M made her yes.

It always goes back to Metroid being a "realistic verse"
To some extent I get why people would have this impression. Metroid is about atmosphere and immersion, making you feel like you are Samus exploring an alien world, however fantastic or ridiculous it might be. That and the games aren't a one to one representation of Samus in lore.

Currently on my work lunch break.

Honestly, is any verse in fiction "Realistic" given the existence of calc stacking and what not?

Say... Would have other M worked better as a prequel? Always got that feeling, especially with the way Adam is mentioned in Fusion as someone who kinda "isn't there" anymore, and Samus' characterization would actually kind of work a little better if she actually was a young and naive soldier and this was before she started her bounty hunter career on her own toughening up and finding her own pace on her job. Just a random thought, though

Even the actual manga prequel has Samus having a much better personality. Though, the idea of a game prequal to the original Metroid sounds cool.

If there is ever going to be some sort of Metroid crossover outside of Smash Bros (game, comic, TV show, doesn't matter), what crossover would you like to see and why?

I'd most like to see a crossover with Doom and/or Halo since I'm a fan of both, especially Halo. If only one of these can be done, I'd choose Doom since based on Doom lore so far, the threats Samus and Doomslayer face/feats they accomplish, a Doom crossover would gel better than Halo.

Part of me would like some sort of DC crossover. Mostly to see Samus become a Green Lantern even though she could probably qualify for most of the rings on the emotional spectrum. Part of me wants a DC crossover just to see Samus get some sort of stat boost depending on who she goes up against.

Part of the fun of a Metroid crossover would be what power ups Samus could get but I can't think of something I'd love to see outside of a Green Latnern Ring.

I think Metroid crossover with Bayonetta would actually be interesting; it be a duo of kickass female protagonists in a dark environment. They'd be kicking the asses of angels, demons, aliens, and gods alike.

Also, Samus appearing in DC or marvel would be cool; she's actually kinda similar to Blue Beetle. Though, a Star Wars crossover would actually be awesome; particularly Legends. Samus would be like the ultimate Jedi hunter; it seems like her character was made to be the worst nightmare of Jedi or Sith. She has her own precognition to counter those of the Jedi, she's also notoriously strong and fast, her Ice Beam could freeze ligthsabers or she could disarm them with her Grapple Beam. And a lot of other stuff.

I'd love to see some sort of sequel or spiritual successor to the Project Cross Zone games on Switch, where throughout the story, the solo unit of Samus teams up with the pair unit of X and Zero. Any sort of crossover with Megaman X, or even the Zero or ZX games, would be awesome.

I've thought of a sort of "Tier List of Characters That are the Strongest in Their Verse." The different tiers don't indicate how strong the characters are, just how much trouble they have. Tier 1 are characters like Doomslayer, Tier 2 are characters like Dante from Devil May Cry, and Tier 3 are characters like Samus.

Samus is Tier 3 since despite being the strongest person in her verse and having the best genetics (Chozo DNA Infusion)/tech/training/experience/connections etcetera, it's still barely enough sometimes. There are plenty of threats that have given Samus trouble like Ridley, Dark Samus, Mother Brain, Gorea and so on. She's the best and everyone knows it, yet she encounters plenty of threats that can give her grief. The fact that she always triumphs in the end proves she is the best regardless.

Tier 2 is Dante is since he knows he's the strongest and only two other groups could possibly give him a hard time. Mundus, one of the strongest demons ever (which Dante can solo pretty handily after DMC5) and immediate family members (Vergil/Nero). Due to this, Dante can flex on everyone and everything without fear.

Tier 1 is Doomslayer since he's the strongest thing ever and nothing ever really gives him trouble. It's lore that he's unstoppable and always wins. Who knows, the upcoming Doom Eternal DLC might change that, but for now my point stands.

I'm guessing you're only including protagonists and video game characters? Because, if other mediums are considered; Saitama is the perfect candidate for a category like that.

I'm guessing you're only including protagonists and video game characters? Because, if other mediums are considered; Saitama is the perfect candidate for a category like that.
The list isn't limited to video game characters. Off the top of my head Doomslayer, Dante and Samus were the first characters I thought of and they happened to be video game characters. Didn't put too much thought into the list, not sure if there was already something like this. However, I know for sure that the tiers are based on how much trouble the characters have and not necessarily how powerful they are. Maybe add another tier or two in between my already established tier 3 and 2.

Last edited:
Doomslayer has been called the Saitama of video game characters yes. But, I wouldn't quite consider him as "Overpowered compared to those around him" as let's say the Dovahkiin from what I heard.

Doomslayer has been called the Saitama of video game characters yes. But, I wouldn't quite consider him as "Overpowered compared to those around him" as let's say the Dovahkiin from what I heard.
I agree that Doomslayer hasn't been shown to be quite Saitama level, since Saitama can beat the other top tiers of his verse without much effort in about a minute or two max. However, Doomslayer did defeat what everyone considered to be God with the Khan Mayker an disrupted the order of heaven and hell practically forcing the "True Gods" of the Doomverse to set the record straight. Once again, gotta wait for the Doom Eternal DLC to know for sure how this will lay out.

How many tiers would you supose a list like this should have?

Back