• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel DeMatteis Word of God Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Excel said, this thread isn't about tiering. It's about determining if the WoG can be used so I can do an actual Tier thread sometime in the not so distant (maybe a few days to a week at most) future. No matter what Tier 1 is a thing if that was a concern. Like, even with barebones assumptions Tier 1 is legit. There are also still DeMatteis' Comics I still need to read through to ensure I'm not missing anything that'd drastically change everything (like that one description of Avatar Eternity I almost missed where he's described as completely beyond all dualities & concepts to the point he's actively refers to them as limitations, but unsure exactly what that results in due to FAQ Rulings and such).

Seems to me like the WoG statement got rejected.

Yes, I also much prefer to only scale from in-story information,
Fact is that as long as the WoG doesn't go against the DeMatties style of work i don't see anything there to reject.

especially given that DeMatteis does not actually own Marvel Comics as a whole.
Yes but He still wrote for Marvel. Different authors has their different styles of writing especially when it comes to things like concepts of Gods, Cosmology etc.

Well, I think that our current long-term plan is to separate Marvel Comics cosmology by eras rather than by authors, but if somebody can figure out a workable and sensible way to separate it by the most prominent authors instead, feel free to send me a private message.

There should be a Cosmology split here. There shouldn't a reason to conclude how Matteis interprets God to match anything of Marvel.

So saying it's an aspect of TOAA is very contradictory to that idea. This Nexus is written differently from the Nexus of Reality. I think a split is somewhat necessary. That's my two cent.
This will handle part of the split. Every writer has their own interpretation of God.

The problem is that we cannot split off DeMatteis alone. We would have to identify the main cosmologies established by different writers within Marvel, including Mark Gruenwald and Al Ewing, and then split off each of them into a separate cosmology after performing the necessary research.

If we are doing it by Writer than DeMatteis being his own thing, with his own interpretation of God supported by his own works, both Word of God , Interviews, and in comics, then there really shouldn't be a problem then. It's not like I'm trying to say it applies to all of Marvel. It only applies to his works, which is consistent only if you don't try to blend his ideas with other writers.

But other Marvel Comics writers likely also built cosmologies that do not truly fit with each other in terms of scale or nature.

But other Marvel Comics writers likely also built cosmologies that do not truly fit with each other in terms of scale or nature.
The problem is for the most part they add from previous understanding. Al Ewing almost set the standards for Cosmology. Matteis's writing is nearly different and essentially makes his own canon.

Well, I think that a project that involves myself needs to be done to investigate if the Gruenwald and Hickman/Ewing cosmologies truly fit with each other, for example.

Hm so it seems our views on what exactly to do aren't entirely disproportionate. Honestly depending on what happens it either makes what I'm doing easier or just adding a few extra steps. If adding it into another era is the way to go I just have to add whatever Era is wrapped up with DeMatteis' Cosmology and edit some reasonings. If we do separate it by which cosmologies/stories fit better into their own sections then I already did a lot of the legwork (aside from reading a few Spider-Man DeMatteis Comics which I'm unsure would change anything but would be shocked beyond belief if it does)

Hm so it seems our views on what exactly to do aren't entirely disproportionate. Honestly depending on what happens it either makes what I'm doing easier or just adding a few extra steps. If adding it into another era is the way to go I just have to add whatever Era is wrapped up with DeMatteis' Cosmology and edit some reasonings. If we do separate it by which cosmologies/stories fit better into their own sections then I already did a lot of the legwork (aside from reading a few Spider-Man DeMatteis Comics which I'm unsure would change anything but would be shocked beyond belief if it does)
Cosmology based on Writers ideas rather than Era will be better and easier

So do we have any volunteers for initiating such a project?
@Eficiente @Qawsedf234 @SuperAPM @Firestorm808 @EmperorRorepmeTwo @Ehnkr2beboh @Elizio33 @MarvelFanatic119 @catzlaflame @Lightning_XXI @Deagonx @Vasco @Eseseso @Marvel_Champion_07 @LuciferX @Excel616 @Immortalgodd @LephyrTheRevanchist @ByAsura

Would any of you be interested in helping out with research to split Marvel Comics' cosmology by the most prominent writers who respectively defined it? Mark Gruenwald, Al Ewing, J.M. DeMatteis, and possibly others.

Well, we would mainly need help with gathering research results here, not necessarily already known pre-knowledge.

Thanks a lot. It is extremely appreciated. 🙏

I will write down your username in a list for this project.

Are you also interested in helping out, Excel616 and VeryGoofyToddler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back