• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean he just steals coins
Fair
power star
Yeah I got mixed up there lol
I am not sure should consider them the same given the wonder flower's involvement
I mean, it looks like King Boo, I'd say it's decently fair to use. Though, fair enough.
Boo area plus I think that game lead to big boo's getting Invulnerability
I don't think that matters, he can still hurt you, and he clearly doesn't have Invul given you can hurt him.
Boo area plus a paper boo kidnaps Paper Mario, hell I think a group of boos sperated the entire group
I mean that's an inconsistency but it doesn't mean King Boo doesn't scale to them as a boss.

Why would "boo area" matter? I'm sorry, we probably shouldn't be getting hung up on King Boo at all, but what do you mean by that?

I mean, usually in a debate you should argue against your opposition's points, and my points are contained in that blog. I'm not putting some bizarre rule on the verse, I just made some arguments that I would like people to be aware of.
Right, but there's a difference between arguing points and opposing points, and framing a debate with addressing only specific points when there could be other points to consider that can be excluded through such framing. I'm only on addressing point 1, so I guess I'll see as we go if any inconvenient points are excluded
Nobody said that the Scarescraper was non-canon. The part that was considered too questionable to be canon is its endless mode, which is an option unlocked after beating it several times, with no real backing for its existence beyond its existence as an option. If the Scarescraper were always endless, rather than that being an unlocked mode, I would have been in favor of accepting the 2-A upgrade. Similarly if you normally fought Bowser in hand to hand combat, and defeating him with bombs were part of a side mode with no canonical backing (stretching the metaphor a bit but you get what I mean) I would consider that Game Mechanics.
You are correct: Nobody explicitly said it was 'non-canon.' But it was disregarded as evidence on the basis it was just 'game mechanics.' The modes occurring there are 'game mechanics,' sure. But the building and it's properties are canon. A building having strange properties in a series where the supernatural and magic have been nearly ubiquitous since the very first games seems like one of the more mundane things to have in such a series. Again, it is true the player can determine modes on the spot for gameplay purposes, but the building can't just be void of properties outside the bare minimum of 'it has ghosts' because for gameplay purposes, modes can be selected for Luigi to do things within it.

So I ask a bit more elaborately: Why would the developers deliberately make the choice to create such a specific building, The Scarescraper, and include it across games when they could have simply inserted the modes in a menu without any in-lore context or specific building it takes place in in both Dark Moon and 3?

Right, but there's a difference between arguing points and opposing points, and framing a debate with addressing only specific points when there could be other points to consider that can be excluded through such framing. I'm only on addressing point 1, so I guess I'll see as we go if any inconvenient points are excluded
Fair, I might have worded that poorly but the intention was just to stress "please read this before you comment", I'm not trying to restrict people.
You are correct: Nobody explicitly said it was 'non-canon.' But it was disregarded as evidence on the basis it was just 'game mechanics.' The modes occurring there are 'game mechanics,' sure. But the building and it's properties are canon. A building having strange properties in a series where the supernatural and magic have been nearly ubiquitous since the very first games seems like one of the more mundane things to have in such a series. Again, it is true the player can determine modes on the spot for gameplay purposes, but the building can't just be void of properties outside the bare minimum of 'it has ghosts' because for gameplay purposes, modes can be selected for Luigi to do things within it.
I, at the very least, didn't disregard the Scarescraper as game mechanics or as anything other than a place that really exists in the mario world. I disregarded the endless mode as game mechanics, there is a real difference between the two, and while you may be right in saying that the endless mode could be contextualized through the supernatural location it happens in, that would be quite the assumption with little backing, and if I recall correctly nobody really thought to make it in the first place. I would disagree with it, for the record, but that's outside the boundaries of this thread.
So I ask a bit more elaborately: Why would the developers deliberately make the choice to create such a specific building, The Scarescraper, and include it across games when they could have simply inserted the modes in a menu without any in-lore context or specific building it takes place in in both Dark Moon and 3?
Maybe because they thought it'd be fun, or maybe because the mansion didn't fit the concept of the side mode very well. I couldn't know and it doesn't really matter, the endless mode which is what was relevant is not contextualized at all, and that's why we rejected the thing.

clearly doesn't have Invul given you can hurt him
By turning on the lights and also we seen Big Boos get harmed before
I mean that's an inconsistency but it doesn't mean King Boo doesn't scale to them as a boss.
or maybe boos are consist shown to be comparable if weaker than the main cast
Why would "boo area" matter? I'm sorry, we probably shouldn't be getting hung up on King Boo at all, but what do you mean by that?
boos are said to stronger the more of them there are in an area in Luigi’s Mansion I am doing this pretty much just to argue minions downscaling but I suppose it might be better to wait

boos are said to stronger the more of them there are in an area in Luigi’s Mansion I am doing this pretty much just to argue minions downscaling but I suppose it might be better to wait
Huh, I see. I guess yeah, fair to keep it for a different thread.

Fair, I might have worded that poorly but the intention was just to stress "please read this before you comment", I'm not trying to restrict people.
I have reworded that section a bit

Framing is pretty important, and so is wording.
I, at the very least, didn't disregard the Scarescraper as game mechanics or as anything other than a place that really exists in the mario world. I disregarded the endless mode as game mechanics, there is a real difference between the two, and while you may be right in saying that the endless mode could be contextualized through the supernatural location it happens in, that would be quite the assumption with little backing, and if I recall correctly nobody really thought to make it in the first place. I would disagree with it, for the record, but that's outside the boundaries of this thread.
In Bowser's arena, you fight bowser and beat him with bombs. In the Scarescrapper, there is far more diversity in ghost catching, and in one instance, you climb an uncountable amount of floors to catch ghosts. It's really not that crazy of an assumption: It's literally just taking what's presented in the games and accepting them for what they are. That said:
Maybe because they thought it'd be fun, or maybe because the mansion didn't fit the concept of the side mode very well. I couldn't know and it doesn't really matter, the endless mode which is what was relevant is not contextualized at all, and that's why we rejected the thing.
So then, why is a boss room fine to be considered canon, but an entire building in the series that was a deliberate developer choice is soley, and only a 'game mechanic?'
Games are supposed to be fun. I know the current state of the industry muddles that, but you actually kind of gave the game away on this first point, right?

You're admitting that 'developer's deliberate choice' is actually entirely arbitrary when it comes to what's actually in a game.

I was going to argue death of the author at some point, but now seems as good as ever: You insist on, and assume greater intent on the part of the developers to argue against the validity of certain aspects from the games to pick as what actually 'matter.' I've seen this happen with various other locations and pieces of lore in other threads for Mario, but I think this mundane building has been a really good example of this approach. The Scarescraper is a place in game, and so is Bowser's arena(s). The developer's intend players to have fun with what is presented, and play through the challenges there. What's presented in both is obviously different - boss battle vs fighting various enemies that aren't bosses - but what's in the games (and in any piece of media really) are what they are, and this is flagrant picking-and-choosing.

Agree with un-splitting the verse and Mario scaling to Power Star users being circular reasoning, neutral on what tier Mario characters should be downgraded to but Foxthefox is kinda right about anti-feats being inconsistent. According to Armor's own blog, Super Paper Mario alone has tier 9, tier 8 and tier 7 anti-feats in the same game.

Last edited:
In Bowser's arena, you fight bowser and beat him with bombs. In the Scarescrapper, there is far more diversity in ghost catching, and in one instance, you climb an uncountable amount of floors to catch ghosts. It's really not that crazy of an assumption: It's literally just taking what's presented in the games and accepting them for what they are. That said:
I've seen this happen with various other locations and pieces of lore in other threads for Mario, but I think this mundane building has been a really good example of this approach. The Scarescraper is a place in game, and so is Bowser's arena(s). The developer's intend players to have fun with what is presented, and play through the challenges there. What's presented in both is obviously different - boss battle vs fighting various enemies that aren't bosses - but what's in the games (and in any piece of media really) are what they are, and this is flagrant picking-and-choosing.
One of these is a set in stone event in the main story, one of them is a questionably existent, questionably canon mode with absolutely zero context that you unlock after you beat the side mode proper. There is an obvious difference between the two and that difference is why one can be considered canon and one can't. You claim the endless mode is "one instance", i rebuke it by saying that there is absolutely no proof that said instance exists in the world of the game and is not just a fun, apocryphal mode added in (which is the explicit reason it got rejected, mind you), whereas it is unquestionable that in Mario 64, Bowser is defeated by throwing him into small bombs.
I was going to argue death of the author at some point, but now seems as good as ever: You insist on, and assume greater intent on the part of the developers to argue against the validity of certain aspects from the games to pick as what actually 'matter.'
... Stretch. You were the one who asked me why I thought the developers added the Scarescraper as a physical place. I answered, because I thought you were trying to prove some point, rather than whatever this is, and I noted, anyways, that I couldn't know, and that it didn't matter. From this, you seek to claim that I pretend to know the developer's intent, and that it is a big part of my argument, when I explicitly said the exact opposite.

In my arguments, I am not making any presumption to know what the developers intended by putting something in a game- it is simple fact that a specific set-piece does not fit our definitions of game mechanics, and that is that. Your efforts to make that relate to some baseless assumption about the Scarescraper are not something I have to acknowledge.
Agree with un-splitting the verse and Mario scaling to Power Star users being circular reasoning, neutral on what tier Mario and friends should be downgraded to but Foxthefox is kinda right about anti-feats being inconsistent. According to Armor's own blog, Super Paper Mario alone has tier 9, tier 8 and tier 7 anti-feats in the same game.
I address that in point 10 of my blog. Any verse's ratings will always be inconsistent, especially one as big as this one's, but that does not allow one to ignore all anti-feats, and I do think that my new rating is a massive improvement in terms of consistency, even though it isn't, because it cannot be, perfect.

Last edited:
I address that in point 10 of my blog. Any verse's ratings will always be inconsistent, especially one as big as this one's, but that does not allow one to ignore all anti-feats, and I do think that my new rating is a massive improvement in terms of consistency, even though it isn't, because it cannot be, perfect.
True. I'm neutral on the subject since there's just as much proof for Mario being Tier 8 or 9 as there is for Mario being Tier 7 or Tier 6 so you can just pick and choose whichever tier you want for the most part.

One of these is a set in stone event in the main story, one of them is a questionably existent, questionably canon mode with absolutely zero context that you unlock after you beat the side mode proper. There is an obvious difference between the two and that difference is why one can be considered canon and one can't. You claim the endless mode is "one instance", i rebuke it by saying that there is absolutely no proof that said instance exists in the world of the game and is not just a fun, apocryphal mode added in (which is the explicit reason it got rejected, mind you), whereas it is unquestionable that in Mario 64, Bowser is defeated by throwing him into small bombs.
..So again, picking and choosing. One location of one game is more valid than one location of another game because game mechanics. You can just say that if that is how you want to approach what you will and won't consider for the verse.

That's how it was last time too. I don't think it's a good approach, but it certainly is one.
... Stretch. You were the one who asked me why I thought the developers added the Scarescraper as a physical place. I answered, because I thought you were trying to prove some point, rather than whatever this is, and I noted, anyways, that I couldn't know, and that it didn't matter. From this, you seek to claim that I pretend to know the developer's intent, and that it is a big part of my argument, when I explicitly said the exact opposite.
You framed the first argument through 'developers deliberately choice.' You said to 'construct your arguments around the ones made in it' (it being the blog). So I worked with your point, and complied with the request to be arguing around the ones made in your blog. I simply did what you asked.

Additionally, I did make a point. I tried to state it very clearly. I try to with all points I make, but as always, maybe I could be more clear and succinct.

Maybe you consider it a 'stance,' or 'view,' but the point I made was that the product is distinct from the developer. Once it's out, it is the sum of it's contents. The creator(s) are just that. Creators. I didn't claim you pretend to know the developer's intent. You don't know the developer's intent. I don't know the developer's intent. Nobody can get into the heads of other people (yet). The best any of us can guess as to intent is 'fun,' being a game.

I can link death of the author again if you just didn't feel like reading that point in it's full. The term for that point is literally 'Death of the author' for future reference.

But like the last thing, if you don't feel like reading the point, and want to just say that actually, I made no point to even respond to, I guess that's an alright approach to counterarguments as well. It's your prerogative as a moderator to chose what you will and won't engage with.
In my arguments, I am not making any presumption to know what the developers intended by putting something in a game- it is simple fact that a specific set-piece does not fit our definitions of game mechanics, and that is that. Your efforts to make that relate to some baseless assumption about the Scarescraper are not something I have to acknowledge.
Oh yeah, right there. That's fine. Your prerogative to pick and choose as a moderator.
I was trying and go one by one. I want to approach the arguments and downgrade in good faith.

If they're layered to a point where I have to literally address multiples, or every one all at once... I guess that's inherently kind of too steep to do, huh?

As for point 10, with verse ratings and consistency: If that's the case, would then the notion that, given the legitimate feats and canon in which Mario consistently has cosmic level feats (you don't even have to agree tier 3, but at least tier 4, especially considering a certain mainline series with a cosmological term in it), at least the downgrade could be 'varies from tier 9/8/7 to 4-3?'

See, I think Mario's only gotten more consistent with the cosmic tiering as more and more years of content is released, and lore about stars, star stuff, etc. is introduced and commonly used. But that's just me I guess. And other supporters of the verse. For everyone, then, wouldn't a 'varies' make more sense than a straight downgrade?

May be the last thing I say idk but there's various examples you use that are just so blatantly misrepresented.

The shit you say harms a character or takes a character out literally doesn't in a good amount of cases. Characters literally get right back up after almost all of these. Characters that are "significantly injured" just kinda shake it off.

Lord of Lightning is just electricity it's not really tied to durability. Even then he's literally fine after.

Falls? Yeah there's more examples of Mario just plucking himself out of the ground after a fall with barely any weakness showing than him actually being significantly affected.

I could go on really. I'm not even touching actually wall level tier 9 anti feats because everyone should have the common sense to realize almost any verse has these and they shouldn't even be listed.

If you want to clean this up find examples where the characters are actually just completely effected and actually knocked out or near death and not just stunned or merely inconvenienced.

To my knowledge there's only like a couple of these at best.

But hey armor while you're at it can you find anti feats for Sonic and Kirby and downgrade them too? Would really appreciate it if we wanna be the perfect little wiki full of consistent ratings for verses :)

Oh yeah, right there. That's fine. Your prerogative to pick and choose as a moderator.
I have explained that there is a clear objective difference between the two repeatedly. I will not be responding to this "point" again given that we're just going in circles, especially given that you're being pleasant enough to throw some accusations into the mix too.
As for point 10, with verse ratings and consistency: If that's the case, would then the notion that, given the legitimate feats and canon in which Mario consistently has cosmic level feats (you don't even have to agree tier 3, but at least tier 4, especially considering a certain mainline series with a cosmological term in it), at least the downgrade could be 'varies from tier 9/8/7 to 4-3?'

See, I think Mario's only gotten more consistent with the cosmic tiering as more and more years of content is released, and lore about stars, star stuff, etc. is introduced and commonly used. But that's just me I guess. And other supporters of the verse. For everyone, then, wouldn't a 'varies' make more sense than a straight downgrade?
It would not be a Varies, because Mario's power level does not canonically vary. It would be an At least/possibly rating, but I simply do not believe that tier 3 or 4 are consistent enough to get even a possibly rating, given the sheer amount of evidence against them - I do not think tier 4 has much backing behind it at all, there's like, what, 2 non-banned tier 4 feats? And they're pretty questionable too.
The shit you say harms a character or takes a character out literally doesn't in a good amount of cases. Characters literally get right back up after almost all of these. Characters that are "significantly injured" just kinda shake it off.
Being hurt by something counts as an anti-feat, they don't need to be maimed by it. I've addressed that in point 5- I really wish people read the sandbox, I put quite a bit of work in it.
Lord of Lightning is just electricity it's not really tied to durability. Even then he's literally fine after.
A 3-C character would not be hurt by lightning. Beyond a certain point heat resistance is related to durability.
Falls? Yeah there's more examples of Mario just plucking himself out of the ground after a fall with barely any weakness showing than him actually being significantly affected.
That doesn't make the showings where he does suffer some damage not anti-feats.
I could go on really. I'm not even touching actually wall level tier 9 anti feats because everyone should have the common sense to realize almost any verse has these and they shouldn't even be listed.
You're right, any verse has them. Not any verse has literal dozens of them.

Also just realized I never commented on unsplitting the verses

I dunno, I’m fine with Wario being merged with Mario because that’s very much so an offshoot of the Mario series to a recognizable enough degree, but I still think DK deserves some degree of separation, especially since it’s far away from the cosmic stuff argued for Mario here and there, and generally were split into two rather different franchises long ago. I suppose it would become consistent with the Tier 6 downgrades but I feel DK generally operates on its own world with its own conventions and is split enough from Mario to be his own thing. DK stars in Mario’s games frequently enough, but Mario doesn’t generally Star in DKs.

I wouldn’t be against keeping a specific key for DK using explicitly DKC / DK stuff but I’m sorta outnumbered on this opinion.

For everyone, then, wouldn't a 'varies' make more sense than a straight downgrade?
From my perspective (and I'm just saying this as a general statement, I'm not saying this is only in Mario's case), a Varies rating seems more like a compromise than a solution.

For one, a Varies tier suggests that Mario's power fluctuates regularly and under circumstances, as we have used for Varies ratings time and time again. While there is certainly a wide range of feats spanning from as low as Tier 9 (albeit I don't think those are really what Mario should be rated as low as) to Tier 3 with the cosmic stuff, a majority of the feats under Mario's belt are done in his standard state. No power-ups, no Power Star enhancements or anything - hell, there's an entirely separate key for him on his page with a Power Star - just his standard state. Now yes, we are made at least somewhat aware that power-ups and the like can affect his strength, albeit the profile doesn't necessarily reflect this. But again, most of the feats we are presented with is done by base Mario. And taking into account the MASSIVE amount of feats that are done by standard Mario that aren't Tier 3, issues, such as the argument of outliers or inconsistencies, start to arise and it calls into question the legitimacy of such ratings.

And secondly, taking an excerpt directly from the Attack Potency page:
“Varies” ratings should only be given to characters who have a canon explanation for why their statistics fluctuate. This does not include characters who are simply inconsistent or have unexplainable variations in their displayed power level. The fluctuations in power must have a clear and logical basis within the character's respective canon.
There has been no such canonical explanation for why Mario's feat range so wildly in tier. He could be swinging and pounding away at Tier 3 enemies in Super Mario Galaxy (2), but get consistently picked off by non-Tier 3 feats and enemies within subsequent games following Galaxy without an explanation or even some sort of allusion to reasoning as to why Mario is demonstrably weaker in that regard. Yes, obviously, they're not going to come up with some sort of powerscale-y type explanation, but something as to why his feats range as much as they do is necessary for a Varies rating.

For those reasons, I'm personally against a Varies rating.

especially given that you're being pleasant enough to throw some accusations into the mix too.
What, that neither of us know author/creator intent? Come on, man.
It would not be a Varies, because Mario's power level does not canonically vary. It would be an At least/possibly rating, but I simply do not believe that tier 3 or 4 are consistent enough to get even a possibly rating, given the sheer amount of evidence against them - I do not think tier 4 has much backing behind it at all, there's like, what, 2 non-banned tier 4 feats? And they're pretty questionable too.
I agree it doesn't canonically vary. It's pretty consistently Tier 4/3. It's a shame you don't seem to like or care about the various games that make this consistency obvious, especially with how many of them there has been at this point, but if you're going to disregard them, or be ignorant to them all, the least you could give is a 'varies' if you otherwise only know about the absolute minimum end of things that have happened within the series.
You're right, any verse has them. Not any verse has literal dozens of them.
If you're so hellbent on the validity of anti-feats, want to read some counter blogs someone seemed to have made years in advance to a lot of what you present? You don't have to consider my points - again, your prerogative - but at least maybe consider the literal lists countering what you present?

Also just realized I never commented on unsplitting the verses

I dunno, I’m fine with Wario being merged with Mario because that’s very much so an offshoot of the Mario series to a recognizable enough degree, but I still think DK deserves some degree of separation, especially since it’s far away from the cosmic stuff argued for Mario here and there, and generally were split into two rather different franchises long ago. I suppose it would become consistent with the Tier 6 downgrades but I feel DK generally operates on its own world with its own conventions and is split enough from Mario to be his own thing. DK stars in Mario’s games frequently enough, but Mario doesn’t generally Star in DKs.

I wouldn’t be against keeping a specific key for DK using explicitly DKC / DK stuff but I’m sorta outnumbered on this opinion.
I dunno, K. Rool appeared in a Mario baseball game

From my perspective (and I'm just saying this as a general statement, I'm not saying this is only in Mario's case), a Varies rating seems more like a compromise than a solution.

For one, a Varies tier suggests that Mario's power fluctuates regularly and under circumstances, as we have used for Varies ratings time and time again. While there is certainly a wide range of feats spanning from as low as Tier 9 (albeit I don't think those are really what Mario should be rated as low as) to Tier 3 with the cosmic stuff, a majority of the feats under Mario's belt are done in his standard state. No power-ups, no Power Star enhancements or anything - hell, there's an entirely separate key for him on his page with a Power Star - just his standard state. Now yes, we are made at least somewhat aware that power-ups and the like can affect his strength, albeit the profile doesn't necessarily reflect this. But again, most of the feats we are presented with is done by base Mario. And taking into account the MASSIVE amount of feats that are done by standard Mario that aren't Tier 3, issues, such as the argument of outliers or inconsistencies, start to arise and it calls into question the legitimacy of such ratings.
Yeah, I agree it'd be a compromise.

But some don't seem to think that he's consistent enough to keep one single tiering, and I don't think it is tenable to say such low ratings are the actual consistent tiering when there are plenty of occurrences, dialogue, and lore across games, and as games go on to show far greater tiering than 9.
And secondly, taking an excerpt directly from the Attack Potency page:

There has been no such canonical explanation for why Mario's feat range so wildly in tier. He could be swinging and pounding away at Tier 3 enemies in Super Mario Galaxy (2), but get consistently picked off by non-Tier 3 feats and enemies within subsequent games following Galaxy without an explanation or even some sort of allusion to reasoning as to why Mario is demonstrably weaker in that regard. Yes, obviously, they're not going to come up with some sort of powerscale-y type explanation, but something as to why his feats range as much as they do is necessary for a Varies rating.

For those reasons, I'm personally against a Varies rating.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he should have a varies either. But a straight downgrade seems far worse. Like, you actually have to throw out nearly 20 years worth of games to support such a position. It's regressive in the absolute worst way.

Happy halloween. I shall be busy in like an hour, but thats not important. Anyways, before I address everything I'll give you a sneak peak. The first few antifeats I wanna are taken with twisting perception and hard downplaying on purpose.

How, is this an antifeat. Just conveniently forget about striking strength entirely, the bombs at worst bothers the characters on screen at worst instead of harming. might as well go through sonic secret rings and shuffle to dig for antifeats if we use this method of scaling.

How is this a sign of being hurt? All that happened was bouncing off a meteor? You cant even make a spacejam reach without having a bias to indicate someone being hurt or damaged.

Edit: since wikia links dont work here, just check the blog and click them. Should show,
test.PNG

If you're so hellbent on the validity of anti-feats, want to read some counter blogs someone seemed to have made years in advance to a lot of what you present? You don't have to consider my points - again, your prerogative - but at least maybe consider the literal lists countering what you present?
I wish some of these blogs didn’t consistently go out of their way to bring up Sonic or Kirby stats and bemoan how Mario is oppressed on the Wiki or whatever because it really doesn’t help any of the points they make and just make them and their arguments seem worse. Armor doesn’t work with Sonic or Kirby stuff and isn’t the most knowledgable on either verse, and both verses are managed by completely different groups of people with completely different arguments, and both verses have had their own histories on this wiki in terms of what they could or couldn’t get away with.

Oftentimes their arguments or statements about how other verses are “just as, if not more inconsistent” aren’t even true or could be heavily contested. Just leave Kirby and Sonic out of Mario stat arguments. If you know just how inconsistent those verses are, make a CRT using the same logic about this one.

I agree it doesn't canonically vary. It's pretty consistently Tier 4/3. It's a shame you don't seem to like or care about the various games that make this consistency obvious, especially with how many of them there has been at this point, but if you're going to disregard them, or be ignorant to them all, the least you could give is a 'varies' if you otherwise only know about the absolute minimum end of things that have happened within the series.
"It's a shame you don't like Mario and also don't know anything about it otherwise you'd see my opinion as blatantly obvious"

How do you expect me to react to this? Seriously, what's the plan here? Because, I'm not very likely to be convinced by this.
I swear to god if it's superbe- Man.

I have read those blogs in fact. My counterarguments, which you people clearly have not read as otherwise you would be aware of this, are based around them, among other things. My lists were created to avoid the pitfalls they outline. I was aware of them before I even made the first thread.

Last edited:
I wish some of these blogs didn’t consistently go out of their way to bring up Sonic or Kirby stats and bemoan how Mario is oppressed on the Wiki or whatever because it really doesn’t help any of the points they make and just make them and their arguments seem worse. Armor doesn’t work with Sonic or Kirby stuff and isn’t the most knowledgable on either verse, and both verses are managed by completely different groups of people with completely different arguments, and both verses have had their own histories on this wiki in terms of what they could or couldn’t get away with.
I don't agree with anti-sonic or anti-kirby stuff. I like those verses, and don't consider anti-feats valid regardless of verse.

That said, there's much more to those than 'ugh sonic and kirby.' Like sure it doesn't reflect well on those users, but come on, now. Engage with the actual points, not presentation.
Oftentimes their arguments or statements about how other verses are “just as, if not more inconsistent” aren’t even true or could be heavily contested. Just leave Kirby and Sonic out of Mario stat arguments. If you know just how inconsistent those verses are, make a CRT using the same logic about this one.
Simply linked them for the counterpoints to common (and mentioned) anti-feats.

taken with twisting perception and hard downplaying on purpose.
Is this necessary? You're just poisoning the well. I'm not even mad I'm used to it but like, why do this. What's the point.
How, is this an antifeat. Just conveniently forget about striking strength entirely, the bombs at worst bothers the characters on screen at worst instead of harming. might as well go through sonic secret rings and shuffle to dig for antifeats if we use this method of scaling.
I literally just listed that (and the other one) as an example of MP characters being hurt by minor stuff rather than as a "proper" example. But it is a legitimate anti-feat, there is no audio but they do cry out in pain, and the goal of the game is to briefly incapacitate them by landing enough hits.
How is this a sign of being hurt? All that happened was bouncing off a meteor? You cant even make a spacejam reach without having a bias to indicate someone being hurt or damaged.
Same thing as before, fairly sure they cry in pain. I was originally linking to gfycat, I think moving them to the wiki (not handled by me, although I am extremely grateful to the content mods that did it) removed the audio, so unfortunately the scans don't have full context anymore. So fair enough on them not making much sense as is, but no "hard downplaying on purpose" I fear.

Alright, I am going to be going to bed, don't turn the thread into a shitshow while I'm sleeping.

"It's a shame you don't like Mario and also don't know anything about it otherwise you'd see my opinion as blatantly obvious"
... you're not serious, are you?
How do you expect me to react to this? Seriously, what's the plan here? Because, I'm not very likely to be convinced by this.
I at least expect good faith, like I've been giving you.

Like I said, I try to state my points clearly. You blatantly just straw manned an entire comment of mine though.

And I know:

You keep telling me it's your prerogative to ignore arguments and points I make.

I'll just tell you this; it doesn't reflect well on one to keep openly admitting that, man.
I swear to god if it's superbe- Man.

I have read those blogs in fact. My counterarguments, which you people clearly have not read as otherwise you would be aware of this, are based around them, among other things. My lists were created to avoid the pitfalls they outline. I was aware of them before I even made the first thread.
Not gonna lie, don't really think you did. Sorry if that seems not good faith, but if you've given them the same amount of bad faith as you've given me here, I don't really believe you're engaging with this entire subject in good faith to to be honest with you. I mean, you're literally using a genetic fallacy to ignore counter arguments and points, But that's ok too.

VS Battles Wiki can be the odd one out compared to other fiction battles wiki's and have Mario at a bizarre tiering if your really feel like that's necessary man.

But some don't seem to think that he's consistent enough to keep one single tiering, and I don't think it is tenable to say such low ratings are the actual consistent tiering when there are plenty of occurrences, dialogue, and lore across games, and as games go on to show far greater tiering than 9.
Yes, obviously there are feats and such that are Tier 3, that much is undeniable. However, this does not address the sheer quantity of feats that are significantly below Tier 3. Now again, I'm not saying Mario should be as low as Tier 9 or even Tier 8, because that is pretty absurd, in my opinion. However, the evidence speaks for itself: there is a monsoon of non-Tier 3 feats that are done that include standard Mario. And this also doesn't address that when that same standard Mario is doing Tier 3 stuff, there are more feats and such that follow these Tier 3 things that are significantly lower than Tier 3.

If he should receive a Varies rating, as you suggest he should (even if you begrudgingly believe so), there needs to be an explanation - explicit or implicit - that tells us why Mario's feats have such a wide range between Tiers 9 and 3. But, because we have no such thing, we can't apply a Varies rating. Again, the AP page says such a thing is a requirement. We don't apply a Varies rating simply because these feats have such a broad range in terms of tier.

Additionally, if we want to take a look at the verse page's Calculations section. . .
Notice just how many feats are in the Tier 9, 8, and 7 range compared to the single Tier 3 calculation.

This is what I'm referring to: there are significantly more feats that are below Tier 3, and even Tier 4, than there are that support it. That is why such things like outliers are being considered here.

I don't agree with anti-sonic or anti-kirby stuff. I like those verses, and don't consider anti-feats valid regardless of verse.

That said, there's much more to those than 'ugh sonic and kirby.' Like sure it doesn't reflect well on those users, but come on, now. Engage with the actual points, not presentation.

Simply linked them for the counterpoints to common (and mentioned) anti-feats.
I simply don’t think we need to discuss the complexities of Kirby and Sonic and why they’re scaled how they are when discussing Mario and how he’s scaled.

It opens up multiple completely separate barely related conversations that not everyone will be prepared to have and aren’t even guaranteed to be accurate.

I could go off the cuff and name multiple verses that I think don’t get away with nearly as much as Mario does, for instance, but you don’t bring it up because it’s just muddies the water and opens up unnecessary conversations. These verses are ultimately irrelevant to Mario’s stats. There’s very, very few instances where bringing up other verses should really matter in a CRT like this.

I at least expect good faith, like I've been giving you.
No you haven't. You don't get to attack my knowledge, call me biased, and then claim that. That is the opposite of good faith. You don't get to accuse me of bad faith literally in the same post and then say you've been giving me good faith. Just keep on arguing whatever you want and I'm going to try to think you're taking this honestly.
You keep telling me it's your prerogative to ignore arguments and points I make.

I'll just tell you this; it doesn't reflect well on one to keep openly admitting that, man.
I am not saying that I am going to ignore arguments. I am saying that I will be refusing to engage in circular stonewalling. When I refuse to acknowledge an argument it's because I already have done so.
Not gonna lie, don't really think you did. Sorry if that seems not good faith, but if you've given them the same amount of bad faith as you've given me here, I don't really believe you're engaging with this entire subject in good faith to to be honest with you. But that's ok too.
VS Battles Wiki can be the odd one out compared to other fiction battles wiki's and have Mario at a bizarre tiering if your really feel like that's necessary man.
I don't even know how you want me to respond to this.
Notice just how many feats are in the Tier 9, 8, and 7 range compared to the single Tier 3 calculation.
Some of those are from alt canons to be fair

Yes, obviously there are feats and such that are Tier 3, that much is undeniable. However, this does not address the sheer quantity of feats that are significantly below Tier 3. Now again, I'm not saying Mario should be as low as Tier 9 or even Tier 8, because that is pretty absurd, in my opinion. However, the evidence speaks for itself: there is a monsoon of non-Tier 3 feats that are done that include standard Mario. And this also doesn't address that when that same standard Mario is doing Tier 3 stuff, there are more feats and such that follow these Tier 3 things that are significantly lower than Tier 3.

If he should receive a Varies rating, as you suggest he should (even if you begrudgingly believe so), there needs to be an explanation - explicit or implicit - that tells us why Mario's feats have such a wide range between Tiers 9 and 3. But, because we have no such thing, we can't apply a Varies rating. Again, the AP page says such a thing is a requirement.

Additionally, if we want to take a look at the verse page's Calculations section. . .

This is what I'm referring to: there are significantly more feats that are below Tier 3, and even Tier 4, than there are that support it. That is why such things like outliers are being considered here.
I get where you're coming from. I still feel like a lot of this can be explained by A. Much of the statements and evidence of higher tiering being within dialogue and lore without nearly as many feats as the lower end stuff, and B. Things just changed a lot as the series has gone on, in many ways. One of the ways was the increasing power creep of final boss battles in scale and scope, among other things. Galaxy is far more modern than something like World, and pun intended, there is a world of a difference in power level stated and displayed between them.

I do understand that through sheer feats, Mario would be a bit low in tier. But as someone said at some point (don't remember who, but it was in relation to scaling DBZ from early Saiyan saga): "There's only so many planets you can destroy."

No you haven't. You don't get to attack my knowledge, call me biased, and then claim that. That is the opposite of good faith. You don't get to accuse me of bad faith literally in the same post and then say you've been giving me good faith.

I am not saying that I am going to ignore arguments. I am saying that I will be refusing to engage in circular stonewalling. When I refuse to acknowledge an argument it's because I already have done so.
Actually, I have been engaging in good faith, and you can't tell me otherwise by now. I will openly say you are engaging in bad faith at this point, because all you've done is consider my good faith in trying to argue within your guidelines for the thread, and your points directly 'bad faith.'

Seriously: If respecting how you want to discuss/debate a topic, and directly trying to address your points is bad faith, what do you consider good faith?
I don't even know how you want me to respond to this.
Idk. How do you want to respond to it? Conversation goes both ways.
Some of those are from alt canons to be fair
Yeah, that too. A good amount of mario movie calcs were done.

Actually, I have been engaging in good faith, and you can't tell me otherwise by now. I will openly say you are engaging in bad faith at this point, because all you've done is consider my good faith in trying to argue within your guidelines for the thread, and your points directly 'bad faith.'

Seriously: If respecting how you want to discuss/debate a topic, and directly trying to address your points is bad faith, what do you consider good faith?
Good faith is just arguing, you're throwing nothing out except Arguments against the opposition's arguments. Arguing in bad faith, is going to the other side of the wall; poisoning the well with venomous nothings like "bias",
The second you dropped this little gem(I could probably find something else earlier) you were arguing in bad faith, so yeah...

Good faith is just arguing, you're throwing nothing out except Arguments against the opposition's arguments. Arguing in bad faith, is going to the other side of the wall; poisoning the well with venomous nothings like "bias",

The second you dropped this little gem(I could probably find something else earlier) you were arguing in bad faith, so yeah...
Damn bro, you still mad over Spongebob? 💀

See, that's actual bad faith.

Seriously though: Are you actually still this mad over my involvement on the other side in a spongebob thread like a month ago? Move on, pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back