• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Makoto Naegi vs. Nagito Komaeda

-_- I'm trying to think of a time either of their luck failed them. The only one I can think of is Nagito's, when his main goal was seeking hope and defeating Junko but he fell into despair.

The way I remember it, Naegi's luck is more of a "plot armor" kind of luck that prevents any fatalities to himself, considering there is no ending in any of the games or anime where he dies or even "loses" in the sense of not being able to come back as long as he keeps his hope. For example, only for him did Alter Ego reawaken to save him, but not for Kirigiri. Not sure how the wiki treats it, but his plot armor even works to the extent of "not giving up" = rewriting causality to undo his loss (unless this is just considered a "mere game mechanic").

The only exception was IIRC the Danganronpa 2 final trial, where Hinata was essentially under the same effects but took precedence. Or perhaps it was about the fact that Naegi placed his hope on Hinata's group and essentially passed the agency to him that way, or perhaps his "luck" was "preoccupied" with canceling out Junko's despair inducement that normally works like a mindhax on pretty much every single character other than Naegi.

Nagito on the other hand despite having "in general" far superior luck, doesn't neccessarily always get the result he wants and his death doesn't neccessarily get prevented either. His luck is also not retroactive causal, e.g. the one who actually killed him didn't "change" to someone else when the group used his luck itself as a datapoint to determine the culprit, making it weaker compared to Naegi in a "death battle" if we assume the causality game mechanic to count.

So based on all that, my vote goes to Makoto Naegi.

Which you could argue Hajime had Makoto's luck (Ultimate of Ultimates) during Danganronpa 2 and what Kaede didn't have in Danganronpa V3.

Naegi takes this. Strong general luck can't really beat insanely powerful defensive luck. If it comes down to attrition, I don't see the Ultimate Hope giving up anytime soon.

My vote goes to Naegi for the battle of attrition argument. It also goes without saying that Nagito will give up long before he can defeat Makoto by virtue of the fact that he'd be fighting the Ultimate Hope. This might be a decent enough headcanon for how Makoto was able to capture Nagito before the rest of the Future Foundation could.

Zero0zero0zero said:
The point of Naegi luck is that he never loses, rather than being lucky in general. Naegi wins this one.
I think people kind of overestimate his plot armor luck here. Makoto is not as invincible as people think.

He did "lose" at some point, like how he got his memories erased by Junko and also got knocked out by her during the killing game, even got tangled up into it twice.

Nagito on other hand, almost thwarted Junko whole plan if not because Izuru was present during Nagito confrontation with Junko. While sure he got brainwashed in the end, but that because of Izuru was also present in that building during the branwashing process.

Makoto "lost" several times against someone without "luck" while it required the like of Izuru to beat Nagito's luck.

Nagito's luck seems to be stronger to me.

Also. Makoto didn't capture the Ultimate Despair as I recall, it was Izuru who handed them to him.

Bloodlusted: Nagito. He is much more intelligent than Makoto and knows how to use luck much better. He is also in general a far less open book.

In-Character: Nagito lets Makoto kill him.

Back