• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kung Fu Panda - Po and Chi Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GyroNutz

VS Battles
Administrator
Recently, I've been watching through most of the Legends of Awesomeness episodes, checking out obscure abilities and powers that Po may have. I haven't watched all the episodes, but I've seen the vast majority of them, so this should cover nearly all of Po's abilities. The following abilities apply to Po's second key. The text in single square brackets is the name of the episodes that the abilities come from, anything from one of the movies I'll try and get a youtube clip for.

• Resistance to Mind Manipulation and Possession (Ding took over Po's mind and was erasing Po's conscience, but after improving his mental strength, he was able to regain control of his body and fight off Ding's possession. Later resisted the mind control of Pang Bing. Ding's mind control sent dozens of monks to jump off a cliff, Pang Bing was capable of mind controlling the entire Furious Five, several of the Emperor's guards, and Pang Bing was planning to mind control the entirety of China, though this would have been through a ritual which Po shouldn't scale to [The Spirit Orbs of Master Ding, Emperor's Rule])
  • Resistance to Paralysis Inducement (Resisted the breath of Hopping Ghosts which was stated to be capable of paralyzing their opponent. He's also resistant to Tai Lung's nerve attack [The Po Who Cried Ghost])
  • Darkness Manipulation (The Silken Moon Touch has the aftereffect of turning the area dark temporarily [Mouth Off])
  • Statistics Amplification (Optional Equipment; the Kung Fu Shoes drastically improve Po's skill. They made it so that Po could toss three needles in the air, and kick them with such precision that one needle would pass through the eye of the second needle, and then hit the third needle straight down the middle so it splits [Kung Shoes])
  • Memory Manipulation REMOVAL (Although Po learned the Fluttering Finger Mindslip, at the end of the episode he used it on himself to forget about it. So he no longer has it [Fluttering Finger Mindslip])
Mastery of Chi Po: Resistance to Transmutation (The chi he was gaining prevented and reversed Kai's transmutation, before he broke out of it, as shown here. Furthermore, Paws of Destiny states that Po's chi here was the Hero's Chi, meaning that everyone who has Hero's Chi (Jindiao, Oogway) should get this resistance. And as a sidenote, it was stated that when Oogway passed away, he gave his Hero's Chi away to Po [Enter the Dragon])

Tigress and Monkey: Non-Physical Interaction (Harmed hopping ghosts, which have been shown to travel through walls and have been referred to as spirits [The Po who Cried Ghost])

Monkey and Oogway: Resistance/Likely Resistance to Mind Manipulation (Monkey overcame Scorpion's mind control which was potent enough to previously enslave the entire Valley of Peace, bar Oogway. The mind control is done via a poison injected via Scorpion's stinger, which broke when Oogway blocked it with his shell. However, he also brought the entire village back from Scorpion's mind control, fought Master Ding directly and is stated to have great mental strength)

Shifu: Explosion Manipulation (Via the Five Finger Blast Punch, which causes anything it hits to glow white and explode. It's unknown whether this can lead to durability negation, as when it was used directly on somebody, it simply immobilised them [Five is Enough])

Tai Lung: Tai Lung's Sword as standard/optional equipment, given that when he was at the Jade Palace, it used to belong to him [Master and the Panda]

Oogway: Dream Manipulation (Sent the universe mail, Paws of Destiny affirms that he does this by entering someone's dream, which he does to Po on two seperate occasions), Telekinesis (Disarms Monkey, upscaling from Wellspring Guardians who accidently performed telekinesis after gaining access to their chi powers), Body Control (Can contract his limbs and head into his shell)

Chi should be upgraded to being Low Multiversal in range. It's already been established that the Spirit Realm and the Mortal Realm (aka the general universe) are seperate universes. In Kung Fu Panda 3, we have 3 instances of chi breaching the gap between the Spirit Realm and Mortal Realm. Kai uses Oogway's chi to return to the Mortal Realm, Po casually uses his chi at the end of the movie to travel back to the Mortal Realm(Jindiao does something similar in Paws of Destiny, where he quite literally creates a gap in the Spirit Realm to travel to the Mortal Realm), but perhaps the most convincing evidence is where all of the villagers, Mr. Ping and Tigress send their chi to Po from the Mortal Realm, as shown here.

Paws of Destiny top tiers (Jindiao and Po in their dragon forms, the four constellations when amped) should be upgraded. They currently scale to Black Tortoise blocking a meteor with just his chi, said meteor being a threat to the Earth, and Jindiao tanked a combined beam from all four constellations, Po scales directly to Jindiao. It's very selective who scales to this, so there wouldn't be any outliers, but three possibilities have been brought up. However, I'm bringing these up as discussion points; we've already discussed this for over 400 posts before so I'd rather if the additions above were discussed first/prioritised.

Sun Wukong made a pocket dimension with a bright natural light in it, which could be a sun, and therefore High 4-C. However given Sun Wukong's powers being based around trickery and illusions, this could just be another illusion. The Wellspring is stated to be the source of all light and chi in the universe, which would be either a 4-B or 4-A feat if taken literally, and Jindiao absorbed the entire Wellspring. Finally, the Wellspring was stated to be an 'endless' source of light and chi on two occasions, which would translate to infinite energy and hence High 3-A, if taken literally. Further supporting High 3-A is that Jindiao escaped from the Spirit Realm using his chi, which was stated by Master Black Tortoise to be only possible if you have a strength equal to or greater than the Spirit Realm itself, which is implied to be infinite in size.

Summary

Po should get Darkness Manipulation, Shapeshifting (Optional Equipment), Resistance to Mind Manipulation, Possession and Paralysis Inducement as well as Memory Manipulation removed for his second key, everyone with Hero's Chi should get resistance to Transmutation, Oogway should get Dream Manipulation, Telekinesis, Body Control and (Likely) Resistance to Mind Manipulation, Monkey should get Resistance to Mind Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction along with Tigress, Shifu should get Explosion Manipulation and Tai Lung should get his sword as optional equipment.

Chi should be Low Multiversal in range.
- All Accepted

Paws of Destiny top tiers could be either High 4-C, 4-B/4-A or High 3-A. - Discussion Point

On a side note, I've found some feats for the Furious Five and KFP2 Po.

Crane has survived a direct lightning strike, Po tanked a lightning strike with a lightning rod connected directly to his head before surviving an explosion + high fall, both in the episode Mind Over Manners.

Monkey lifts a giant rock and throws it at Po in Scorpion's Sting, could be a lifting strength upgrade for the Furious Five.

Legends of Awesomeness Po has also survived hits from Kim the Invincible, who tore the Great Wall of China in half [Camp Ping]. This Po has feats of actually harming himself with his hits; in one episode, this was a major plot point.

Funnily enough, somebody made a respect thread for Kim the Invincible around the time I made a calc request for his wall of china feat.

Legends of Awesomeness isn't really ma jam. But this looks pretty accurate from your descriptions.

So, skimming through this, by optional equipment does that include one-off stuff like the Phantom Crystal or the hopping ghost curse?

Also, not sure about removing the mindslip. Yeah, he used the mindslip on himself, but he probably had the Alabaster Pot used on him to restore his memory, and he probably also read all the sacred scrolls in his time training, so he may have gotten it back anyway.

All the Furious Five are probably capable of hurting ghosts if Monkey can, so they should get non-physical interaction as well.

Also feel like Oogway should get a key for his Hero's Chi, since he did have it and thus should be comparable to at least Black Tortoise. Kai probably wouldn't since both times he fought Oogway I don't think Oogway had Hero's Chi.

Other than that I agree with the rest of these.

The new abilities seem fine, but the suggested power levels would too strongly contradict all of the displayed destructive feats in the Paws of Destiny show.

Heavily disagree, since the Constellations and Po are god tiers massively up scaling off of Black Tortoise's feat. It's not even like cosmic level stuff is new to the series, it's appeared as far back as Legends of Awesomeness.

The problem is that their lives are consistently repeatedly threatened by tier 8 situations, and they never manage to just outpower threats of that scale.

JJSliderman said:
So, skimming through this, by optional equipment does that include one-off stuff like the Phantom Crystal or the hopping ghost curse?
One-off stuff, yeah. Phantom Crystal probably wouldn't count though, since Po only wielded it when he took it off the wolf guy iirc

ok fandom deleted my comment, sorry if this turns out to be a double post

For the fluttering finger mindslip, that seems like it's based off of guesswork. Besides, if Po did relearn it, he'd just repeat his actions that he did in the original episode until it comes to a similar/the same conclusion.

Dunno if we can scale abilities like that, but if we can Shifu should get it at least.

I assume we have Golden Lotus Clap on there already for blindness inducement, but also there's Po moving before the beginning of time (as well as Fenghuang), The Kung Fu shoes enhancing Po's Kung Fu prowess, paralysis inducement with Chao-Wa Punch Kick, Wu-Xi finger hold maybe being Death manip since the Spirit a World is the afterlife, Mind Reading with Nao Yuedu, and Increased damage against demons with Hero's Chi. Most of these Po doesn't have anymore, and stuff like Attack Reflection and Paralysis is already on there, this is just what he gets those from. Reflection from Wind Hammer and Paralysis with the Punch Kick.

Po lost Nao Yuedu as well at the end of the episode, and the sapphire was destroyed.

Po's Wuxi Finger Hold being death manip was discussed before and rejected, though I do see the arguments for it. Everything else I think is already on his profile.

Actually, the kung fu shoes aren't on Po's profile, but the Shift Stones are. Whoops.

Resistance to Void Manipulation. It'd also be an infinite speed feat, along with moving in the Spirit Realm, but it's a pretty big outlier.

When Po gained Mastery of Chi in his fight with Kai, he changed the color of the spirit realm from green to orange, wouldn't that count as some form of hax?

Basically what happened there is that the Spirit Realm is affected by the level of chaos in the realm.

Since Kai was pure chaotic evil, he turned the spirit realm chaotic with his presence. When Po achieved Chi Mastery, his peaceful energy overpowered Kai's chaotic power and turned it golden. That's why it turned green again when Jindiao was there.

Not the guy who calls outliers, but. Cosmic 3-A to po and Jindiao especially since this is just statements makes this seem to flowerly to be legitimately qualified and should be in Likely Far higher. However, an AP buff to High 6-B or whatever the turtle did seems reasonable.

Agree on the abilities

I'm inclined to believe the statement since in Eternal Chord, Po's chi was 1/6 of the energy needed to power the Eternal Chord which sustained the existence of the universe. And he broke out of the spirit world, a tangible feat requiring more power than the infinitely sized Spirit World. There's also the part about it being the source of all light in the universe, which is not metaphorical since upon the Wellspring being freed, plants grew, the sun came back from behind the clouds, and the drought ended.

Didn't the wellspring still exist after Jindiao was restored to full power by it? That would imply that he didn't absorb anywhere near all of it.

Also breaking a small hole in the wall of the spirit realm is obviously nowhere near equivalent to destroying all of its infinite expanse.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the new abilities should probably largely be fine to add, but we have to try to not use unclear potential feats that are too high above the general displayed power levels.

Antvasima said:
Didn't the wellspring still exist after Jindiao was restored to full power by it? That would imply that he didn't absorb anywhere near all of it.
It was completely gone until Jindiao was defeated.

I'll start adding the abilities then

Okay. In practice he didn't display anywhere near that kind of scale in the physical world though.

The size of the hole is irrelevant. The point was that to break out of the Spirit Realm, at all, he had to have more power than the Spirit World.

I have watched almost all of Paws of Destiny as well, and the feats are consistently of a tier 8 level at most.

I think that there is a misunderstanding about what was intended with what Blue Dragon mentioned in passing. All that was likely required is to be stronger than a small portion of the walls of the spirit realm, not to be stronger than an infinite amount of energy. It wouldn't make any sense with an infinitely powerful being damaged by falling pieces of a building or cave and the like.

No. He was very clear. To escape the Spirit Realm requires more power than the Spirit Realm itself. Also trying to use the whole "rocks falling on him" argument isn't valid. That's like trying to say Goku is super weak because he was one-shot by Sorbet's dinky laser.

It was an offhanded comment that is likely interpreted to vastly unreasonable degrees by us.

The point is that the scale of the series has consistently been portrayed as tier 8 with no explicit feats anywhere remotely of an infinite or even stellar scale.

My apologies, but such a massive upgrade when Po and his students had to focus all of their power in order to stop approaching lava and could cause no damage to a large magical robot is extremely unreasonable. We have to go by some measure of strong reliability and consistency. Goku was explicitly at risk of destroying the universe when much weaker than currently, and there have been repeated references to such a scale afterwards, for example.

As such, I am never going to accept this. Sorry.

Just because you don't accept it, doesn't mean it's not true. That magical robot was powered by the Wellspring, which is the exact same thing Jindiao was powered by. I'm sorry but this blatant downplay of Po just really frustrates me. It is valid, there's so many things pointing to an at least Tier 4 Kung Fu Panda that disregarding it makes no sense to me.

Sigh........

Why is this getting heated again. Do we need every Paws of Destiny revision to turn into if Po/ Jindiao is Tier 3?????

We have to add the powers to the profiles then close this because we don't want heated debates

The powers are added, Po/Jindiao being upgraded or not is the only thing left to discuss.

No, don't close this. If it's closed then nothing will get resolved. There's no actual reason to disregard the stuff mentioned aside from just incredulity.

Look, we only have an offhanded comment without further specification, that could just as well be interpreted as simply being stronger than the local walls of the spirit realm, to go by, and this would strongly contradict the scale of every single other feat displayed in the series. As such this would at best be an extreme outlier and at worst just a misunderstanding.

Would it be better to get some other people to weigh in on this? I feel like this is going around in circles.

Assuming it was just the walls of the Spirit World requires a lot more assumptions than just saying "More power than the Spirit World itself."

Not only because that is the direct quote, but because that is also the only thing that's said in terms of the requirements. They don't say "Well maybe there's a weakspot he could get through", they're very up front about it. As such, the simplest option is the most logical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back