• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

KRYPTONIAN Reaction and combat speed reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, people were shooting at their location so methinks subsonic.

Also, Faora was moving in straight lines while in burst, but looked like it was only travel speed as she only looked to be punching post-burst.

Nope he reacted to Doomsday's heat vision which was confirmed "light" via the BvS tech (companion) guide. It should actually be much faster.
Heat

it was obviously not lightspeed. should we put batman at light speed now? No. Supes is subsonic.

Call it PIS (I say he anticpated the attack but still, fictional logic) if you want but the canon guide confirms it. Also, regarding the transference of heat (conduction, convection and radiation) only radiation makes sense for Superman. I mean the man has X-Ray vision (X-rays are light speed) so it makes sense that via electromagnetic/ thermal radiation, heat vision is light speed as well.

it was obviously not lightspeed. should we put batman at light speed now? No. Supes is subsonic.

Call it PIS (I say he anticpated the attack but still, fictional logic) if you want but the canon guide confirms it. Also, regarding the transference of heat (conduction, convection and radiation) only radiation makes sense for Superman. I mean the man has X-Ray vision (X-rays are light speed) so it makes sense that via electromagnetic/ thermal radiation, heat vision is light speed as well.

it was not light speed, rewatch the movie, supes has never shown anything above subsonic.

But he has reacted to heat vision. Iirc his heat visioned clashed with doomsday's heat vision. That's a reaction feat. On that note wonder woman has reacted to doomsday's heat vision too.

Your under the impression that heat vision can be debunked as light speed, but it can't as canon confirms it to be. At most you can say it is PIS if the special effects goofed it up. Example: if thor's lighting is calced to be slower than actual lightning, is it not real lightning? And as I mentioned the laws of thermodynamics have to apply to heat vision, unless superman is simply a magical being that draws powers from the sun, which he is not; he's an alien who utilizes biology to do so.

Well, if you can get a calculation for the feat of avoiding Doomsday's light beams, we can probably use that.

Also, please stop repeatedly quoting each other back and forth. It spams the page, and is against the site rules.

Apologies for the quote spam, force of habit.

I'm not quite sure we should use the batman dodge for heat vision. Unless it is okay to give a peak human, super human feats? I know there was a clash of heat vision between supes and doomsday. And I know wonder woman intercepted doomsday's heat vision in order to protect batman. I think that clip is floating around somewhere.

Well, for Batman it would have to be aim dodging, or a massive outlier, but we do need something useful to scale Superman's speed from, as well as the characters scaled from him. Subsonic seems far too low.

Well, when he was having a punchout with another kryptonian in MOS, they were being pelted with bullets and the soldiers were even reacting to them jumping around and stuff.

When they jumped, the soldiers immediately followed with shooting upwards.

Make of it as you will as all I see is subsonic to maybe transonic.

Hmm. Okay. Although it does seem odd, given that considerable superhuman speed is usually a standard for Superman. I am not very familiar with the Zack Snyder version though.

He does appear faster in BvS though. He bull rushes a terrorist before he can shoot lois. His reaction speed is a bit inconsistent like the senate scene but that was due to plot and even the character admits to being careless. He does without a doubt react to doomsday's heat vision with a counter from his own. Still I can understand if everyone wants to wait for the blu-ray to release but we should keep this companion guide in mind. I wish I could find more scans tbh, interesting stuff, mainly for batman.

@gemmysaur, I believe they get tagged a lot simply because they don't care to dodge. In the scene where faora takes down multiple soilders, you can see she appears to inadvertently dodge a few bullets. Also, supes and zod where creating shock waves repeatedly when they were hitting each other. Wouldn't that in itself be supersonic?

@Heatforce:

Faora does seem to have better movement speed than Supes and the other guy, but it seems rather limited to movement and not combat to me. She zips, stops and punches, or zips with her hand outstretched into a punch, or something of that sort.

That's just how I see it though.

May I ask whether or not normal humans can react to people who are Supersonic though? I mean when Supes and that other craptonian who I could not for the life of me remember the name jumped, everyone shooting pointed to the air, following them and is pretty close though slightly behind on actually hitting them again.

I don't remember the shockwave punches though so I'll have to rewatch it again.

@Gemmysaur, I don't beleive normal humans can react to supersonic movement. That stated I guess we could say they weren't moving supersonic at all times. If you go to about 1:29 of the video, you see when superman and Zod hit each other they are creating shock waves in rapid succession: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAw3E_mLh8

Also, at the begining of the fight when they bullrushed each other they created a much bigger shockwave like Hulk Buster and Hulk did in AoU.

If you hit something with enough power and speed to create visable shockwaves, that is supersonic, right?

Attack Potency and Speed statistics are usually kept mostly unrelated to each other within fiction.

But they did react to each other. I'm not the best with physics but isn't the fact they are creating sonic booms with each hit in rapid succession, and reacting to them via blocking (mainly Zod), enough to justify supersonic reactions?

There's also this scan (he can think as fast as he moves/ flies):

Super-speed
Super-Speed

Let me know if it's hard to see the scan. For some odd reason it is for me.

Everyone, just to ble clear (as I was corrected) there are techically three companion books that are associated canon with the film: The Tech Guide, Dawn of Justice: The Art of the Film, Guide to the Caped Crusader / Guide to the Man of Steel: Movie Flip Book

The images I posted did not come from the tech guide but the Caped Crusader/ Guide to the man of steel: movie flip book. Here is a link with all the images with much better quality: http://imgur.com/a/Lwf2G

@Jucaslucas, it's debatable as far as I know. Like iirc clark sees more whales in the novel then what was shown in the movie, after he saved everyone from the oil rig.

Well, with those nigh-irefutable evidences, then I'm sold if others are too. On that note, wont the shockwaves from their punches due to strength and not speed? We know that they're physically stronger than the big guns of the avengers and Thor and Hulk has demonstrated the ability to make shockwaves as well, Thor moreso considering Malekith only blocked. Just a question.

@gemmysaur, I'm not sure tbh. I would think it would require speed as well as strength to create the shock waves.

@Jucaslucas, I called them shock waves. They don't appear to be making sonic booms when they punch as they miss sometimes and you don't see the shock wave or hear the boom. Zod does miss a haymaker though and you can hear the air screeching and his arm blur but other wise no sonic boom. Zod was also reacting to Superman when he was flying and when they punched they still made shock waves. When superman flies that's his travel speed and that's hypersonic.

@Heatforce, I'll try pulling a gif for us to look at. Just give me a moment.

Zod reacting to Supes flying though looks to me to be reacting after he's been hit already.

If anything though, it might be that they're just strong enough to make charged-hammer Thor level hits in a constant basis.

Lol well its cool man. I found this article (like I said, I barely physics lol): http://physics.info/shock/

And here are the interesting parts:

Unlike ordinary sound waves, the speed of a shock wave varies with its amplitude. The speed of a shock wave is always greater than the speed of sound in the fluid and decreases as the amplitude of the wave decreases. When the shock wave speed equals the normal speed, the shock wave dies and is reduced to an ordinary sound wave.

When an object travels slower than sound, the ratio in this equation is greater than one, and the equation does not have a real solution. This makes absolute sense as there is no shock wave to speak of at subsonic speeds.

Also this from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

Code:
An Australian bullwhip.
The cracking sound a bullwhip makes when properly wielded is, in fact, a small sonic boom. The end of the whip, known as the "cracker", moves faster than the speed of sound, thus creating a sonic boom.[2] The whip is probably the first human invention to break the sound barrier.

As I mentioned above, when Zod and Supes are fighting on the ground you can literally hear the air screech as Zod misses with his haymaker.

Well, if they are producing sonic booms, I am fine with listing them as supersonic. However, the force of a blow, and accompanying shockwaves, are usually unrelated to speed within fiction.

Of course, since a guidebook lists Superman as supersonic, I suppose that an overall upgrade is in order.

However, it would be good if somebody could link to a better scan within Superman's profile.

Yes. You can link to this image, and upgrade Superman, Zod, Faora, Wonder Woman, and Doomsday to Supersonic speed if you wish.

@Antvasima, okay just an FYI: I've never altered a wiki page before. Not that I'm a complete dunce, I'll figure it out, just might not happen right away.

It seems like Matthew Schroeder fixed it. Thanks Matthew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back