• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Kefla" name is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, just wanted to talk about "Kefla"'s name.

"Kefla" is an error from english dubs subtitles. Her real name is "Kafla" and I think it would be better to correct it to not misslead a lot of people (there are a lot already)

Thank you in advance

The official subs say Kefla, gotta go with Kefla. However, can't just rule out the possibility of it being Kafla because Herms is trustworthy but it would be best to keep it Kefla until further proof.

@Matty

Òé▒Òâ╝Òâ½=Keeru

In this case, Kale sounds better

The reason Keeru is written Kale is because of the long vowel (ee because of the Òâ╝ in her name which extends the Ke to Kee) therefore it is pronounced and written as Kale.

Kefura doesn't have that (having only the Òé▒ which is Ke) which is then written and pronounced as Kefla.

The same is applied to words like ÒâçÒâ╝Òé┐ (Deeta) because of the long vowel (ee) it is written and pronounced as Data

Honestly apart from that, i can't say more than this

Darkmon cns said:
There is not a English dub of that yet.....
True, my bad, I confused dubs and subtitles (english is not my main language really sorry).

Anyway, this doesn't come from me but from DBTimes, french's reviewer who speak Japanese fluently, and said that the real translation is "Kafla" not "Kefla". They also said that "Ultra Instinct" is not correct and a brutal translation from "Migate No Gokui" (can't explain myself why, it's pretty hard but they said why), so, they prefer to not use this term because it only comes from english's subtitles and it's not an official translation, they don't want to misslead people :)

Aside from the basic Katakana, yeah it's Kefla.

For example: Vegito

ÒâÖÒé©Òâ╝Òé┐ = Bej─½ta

Òé½Òé½Òâ¡ÒââÒâê = Kakarotto

Making ÒâÖÒé©ÒââÒâê = Bej─½tto

In this case:

Òé▒Òâ╝Òâ½ = Keeru

Òé½Òâ¬ÒâòÒâ® = Karifura

Therefore...Òé▒ÒâòÒâ® = Kefura or Kefla.

Translation wise, Kafla does not make sense, just like Vegetto or Vegerott.

KamiYasha said:
Aside from the basic Katakana, yeah it's Kefla.
For example: Vegito

ÒâÖÒé©Òâ╝Òé┐ = Bej─½ta

Òé½Òé½Òâ¡ÒââÒâê = Kakarotto

Making ÒâÖÒé©ÒââÒâê = Bej─½tto

In this case:

Òé▒Òâ╝Òâ½ = Keeru

Òé½Òâ¬ÒâòÒâ® = Karifura

Therefore...Òé▒ÒâòÒâ® = Kefura or Kefla.

Translation wise, Kafla does not make sense.
I agree and don't agree.

I agree with the japanese part where you say Òé▒ÒâòÒâ® = Kefura because it's the direct translation from Japanese.

However, if you wan't to do an official translation in english for her name you have to combine Kale and Caulifla, making Kafla and not Kefla. Her name is Kefura or Kafla

>Combine Kafla and Caulifla

Kami combined Keeru and Karifura = Kefura= Kefla

Dunno why you mixed Kafla and Caulifla

And i will post this again

• The reason Keeru is written Kale is because of the long vowel (ee because of the Òâ╝ in her name which extends the Ke to Kee) therefore it is pronounced and written as Kale.
  • Kefura doesn't have that (having only the Òé▒ which is Ke) which is then written and pronounced as Kefla.
  • The same is applied to words like ÒâçÒâ╝Òé┐ (Deeta) because of the long vowel (ee) it is written and pronounced as Data

ALRF said:
>Combine Kafla and Caulifla
Kami combined Keeru and Karifura = Kefura= Kefla

Dunno why you mixed Kafla and Caulifla
Yes sorry, again my bad, I meant Kale, not Kafla ^^

Okay, I will say my piece.

We are a site that uses English. Therefore, we'll use the official English translation (well...some Digimon being an exception. Creepymon is just stupid, especially compared to Daemon). Ash Ketchum isn't Satoshi, and Vegito doesn't have two t's in the name.

DBTimes, youtubers who claim that it's Kafla and not Kefla have a website http://www.dragonball-ultimate.com/encyclopedia/characters/kafla

As it's french I know that you don't understand what is written, but the only important part is on the right under the picture of Kafla, it's written "Original Name : Òé▒ÒâòÒâ® "Translated name : Kafla" "English name : Kefla (Streaming sites)"

They added "Streaming sites" next to the English name because for them it's an error from English subtitles (in this case : CrunchyRoll) and know it has been spreeded all over the english community, therefore calling it "English translation" but the real translated name is Kafla

From my point of view I can't debate more about this because I don't speak japanese... But I trust them because they often correct subtitles errors (They watch every episode in Japanese, then in English, then in French).

And just to debate about it, they also say that "Ultra Instinct" is a false translation of "Migatte no Gokui" made by english subtitles who tried to translate it in an easy manner, but "Ultra Instinct" =/= "Migatte no Gokui", so we should not say that Goku's transformation is "Ultra Insctinct" for the moment but "Migatte no Gokui" waiting for an official translation because "Migatte no Gokui" can't exactly be translated. So what about also changing Goku's page and put Migatte no Gokui over Ultra Instinct ? I don't want to be oppressive but it's better to use correct words instead of using unofficial (and maybe false) translations :)

It really shouldn't be this complicated.

Name in Japanese text - Òé▒ÒâòÒâ®

Pronunciation in Japanese - Kefura or Kafla

Name in English text - Kefla

Done.

Just saw this title on a news site : "'Dragon Ball Super' gives first look at Kafla/Kefura". it goes in the direction of what I say, it's either Kafla or Kefura, but "Kefla" has nothing to do there.. Kefura =/= Kefla you mix up spelling and pronunciation.

So we basically have this :

Òé▒Òâ╝Òâ½ : Kēru / Òé½Òâ¬ÒâòÒâ® : 'Karifura'

Òé▒ : Ke ÒâòÒâ® : Fura -> Kefura

and

Kale / Caulifla

-> Kafla

Don't wanna be mean, but for the moment every fluent japanese speakers say it's Kafla, on the contrary, everyone who just read the Crunchyroll's subs affirm it's Kefla

The real cal howard said:
Okay, I will say my piece.

We are a site that uses English. Therefore, we'll use the official English translation (well...some Digimon being an exception. Creepymon is just stupid, especially compared to Daemon). Ash Ketchum isn't Satoshi, and Vegito doesn't have two t's in the name.
I agree with you, it's a site that uses English. Well if we have a look at this site we see :

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Kale : Kale

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Caulifla : Caulifla

Making Kafla, not Kefla.

Given KamiYasha's and ALRF's explanations, I also think that we should keep Kefla.

Antvasima said:
Given KamiYasha's and ALRF's explanations, I also think that we should keep Kefla.
But their explanations are wrong.

Keru and Caurifura makes Kefura and not Kefla

Kale and Caulifla makes Kafla

Kefla is only the pronunciation of Kefura, but isn't equal to it

"Kami combined Keeru and Karifura = Kefura= Kefla" this is false

"Kami combined Keeru and Karifura = Kefura (pronunced Kefla)" this is right

Therefore, her name is Kefura or Kafla.

Hmm. I suppose that we should go with the official subtitle translation then, in lack of better options, to avoid confusion for our visitors.

No, her name isn't Kefura, that's the pronunciation of Òé▒ÒâòÒâ®.

Just like in Krillin's case, where in Japanesse it's pronounced as Kuririn.

Herms had a vote deciding what he should call her.

everyone voted Kafla. However he only does that on twitter, in the subs, she goes by Kefla...

Kefla is official iirc. Kafla was just a poll Herms made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back