• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

hyperbole discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in One piece it was said that don chinjao could destroy a continent in his prime time.

Or that Whitebeard was cabable to destroy the world. quote from sengoku a former fleet admiral.

and many many more.

that was hyperbole.

But when some strangers in fairy tail are saying that Acnologia could destroy a country then it isnt hyperbole or what I dont get the hyperbole system tho.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ksfiSo5uY...gcS2yLthQGT9CKk3YiyG6wCHM/s16000/0254-018.png

Or ezra sliced a meteor. wow doflamingo fujitora and law did the same so why are those not 6C likely higher ?

and those arent even the last "Hyperbole" upgrades from fairy tail

the same with the speed upgrades in fairy tail. ezra massively hypersonic + for slicing a meteor ? allright

Huh interesting. Well for one thing the "Acnologia" can destroy a country thing has been considered hyperbole for the longest time, it only very recently passed because of the results that Irene's meteor feat presented, even now it still isn't completely passed considering it is only stated as a possibility on his profile. And speaking of Irene's feat in comparison to Fujitora feat; the results were significantly different Irene's meteor was pulled in from massive distances that were clocked to be in the sub-relativistic range while there is no evidence that Fujitora's were moving anywhere that fast, hence Erza destroying it would present itself as more impressive. And finally the speed was a result of re-evaluations of Laxus lightning and considering whether it did in fact behave like lightning the meteor feat just bolstered that argument.

The reason why the claims in one piece are considered as hyperbolic is simply because no one in one piece has shown feats even remotely close to the statements made.

Davidsteel1 said:
The reason why the claims in one piece are considered as hyperbolic is simply because no one in one piece has shown feats even remotely close to the statements made.

Acnologia show nothing feat to destroy a Country....

But he is here Country lvl because someone say this, if they use for upgrade why is Whitebeard dont Planet lvl or Don Chinjao Continent lvl???

Franciscuu said:
So in One piece it was said that don chinjao could destroy a continent in his prime time.
Or that Whitebeard was cabable to destroy the world. quote from sengoku a former fleet admiral.

and many many more.

that was hyperbole.

But when some strangers in fairy tail are saying that Acnologia could destroy a country then it isnt hyperbole or what I dont get the hyperbole system tho.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ksfiSo5uY...gcS2yLthQGT9CKk3YiyG6wCHM/s16000/0254-018.png

Or ezra sliced a meteor. wow doflamingo fujitora and law did the same so why are those not 6C likely higher ?

and those arent even the last "Hyperbole" upgrades from fairy tail

the same with the speed upgrades in fairy tail. ezra massively hypersonic + for slicing a meteor ? allright
Wendy or Lily are island lvl+ Massively hypersonic+ too...

Lol what is this shit??

They are in same speed league as Madara or Sasuke??? LOOOOL

Lily cant even destroy a house and they upgrade him to island lvl.

U didn't seem to read my above post. Acnologia isn't completely accepted as country level it's on his profile that it's just a possibility, and that possibility is due to the results of Irene's meteor feat with potential KE results ranging from island to small country level, that is y he's considered a possible country buster. One piece on the other hand has nothing even remotely close to continent and planet ending feats so they can't be accepted if there are no feats that lend credibility to the statement. For instance say there was at least 2 other continent lvl feats in one piece then the statements that Whitebeard could wreck the planet would make sense but as it is now there is literally none so planet level just seems far too ridiculous.

Please don't quote, it makes it extremely annoying to try to read what you are saying, just use @ and the name of the person you want to speak to.

^there are people that are relativistic and can maybe destroy a building.

Acnologia has possibly country lvl not only for that statement of dragon's being able to destroy a country but also because etherion is a weapon that can blow up a country and Acnologia's roar had a reading of ethernano even superior to his. And I repeat a possibly isn't necessary a country lvl only a possibility.

For Whitebeared it was shown to be only a hyperbole cause bloodlusted Whitebeared never came close to thing like that for chinjao you need to ask someone more knowledge of one piece than me since I barely remember him.

The meteor Erza sliced had a sub-relativistic speed when entering the atmosphere and it was done as MHS+ for Erza since we consider that meteor is a slower once it entered the atmosphere.

While the one of doffy and Fuji destroyed were much much slower.

WilliamShadow said:
The meteor Erza sliced had a sub-relativistic speed when entering the atmosphere and it was done as MHS+ for Erza since we consider that meteor is a slower once it entered the atmosphere.
Except for this, the rest is correct

Erza is MHS+ because she wasn't as fast as the meteor, that it was moving at costant speed

Concerning The Gamer, Lighning Arrow does not move at light speed, because Han Jee Han claims that Lightning (An average lightning bolt moves at 224,000mph/Mach 291.94449) moves at the speed of Light (Mach 874,030) which is obviously not true. Light is more than a thousand times faster that lightning going by their mach numbers. The reason why he cliamed so was most likely because the author doesn't know their speeds.

http://www.*************/manga/the_gamer/c157/ (You can even see the Tsukkomi's saying that's wrong.)

I have some concerns regarding how users commonly tend to incorrectly brand statements (which may, or may not be wrong) as hyperbolic, for reasons which wouldn't even make the statement in question hyperbolic.

For example, let's say I made a comic book; within the comic book I make a character use a technique called light boost jump, I then create a guidebook for this series and say "the light boost jump makes the user jump at light speed"; if by chance someone calculates what speed the light boost jump really is and gets hypersonic, they view the statement as hyperbolic as result.

Is the statement in the guidebook wrong? Well yes, it is; the technique has only been calculated to be hypersonic within the actual series. But is this statement hyperbolic? Not at all, because the statement is meant to be taken literally. This may seem like semantics, but it can lead to some problems down the line; lead us astray, I'll provide an example.

Statements (like I've described) within guidebooks, stated by characters or word of god even can easily be dismissed if someone just says these to be hyperbole; they may not even have to provide any proof for why the statement may be incorrect either as a result.

Well, my original problem was the viewpoint that we should never label the statements as either inaccurate or as hyperbole, only as outliers.

However, I suppose that we should gauge these types of claims on a case-by-case basis.

Let me be sure I understand what ur saying AMM; while a statement might be incorrect it doesn't make the statement a hyperbole correct? If so then what are ur thoughts on statements mentioned by the OP above concerning Whitebeard's power? I'm genuinely curious

"Let me be sure I understand what ur saying AMM; while a statement might be incorrect it doesn't make the statement a hyperbole correct?"

Yep.

(Disclaimer, I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to One Piece. I'm just analyzing the panels in question which contain the statement in question.)

"If so then what are ur thoughts on statements mentioned by the OP above concerning Whitebeard's power? I'm genuinely curious"

The exact quote referring to Whitebeard, in the viz media volume release of One Piece is "That man... HAS THE POWER TO DESTROY THE WORLD!" Seeing that moments before this was stated, the characters (including the one who said the aforementioned statement) witnessed this guy create seaquakes which result in tsunamis. Then that statement does make sense, but not in the way you'd expect. Allow me to elaborate.

If there was a guy who just suddenly appeared in our world; demonstrated the same abilities Whitebeard had, I can only imagine the mass hysteria that would follow. They may be right in a very technical sense but in a literal way of just completely smashing the Earth apart with a single blow? I don't think so, mainly because Whitebeards feats (to my knowledge) have not demonstrated even 0.00001% of that power. And to extrapolate on such a scale like that, would be unwise.

To make a long story short, I doubt the guy was being hyperbolic; he wasn't particularly wrong either. But, to interpret that statement in a way that Whitebeard could one shot the planet in DBZ fashion given prior evidence of Whitebeards abilities would simply be incorrect.

So basically we should put down the statements to being the characters responding due to the difference in power and a lack of an understanding of the limitations or drawbacks such power holds?

Not necessarily, remember that the characters aren't wrong technically, but they would be wrong in the sense that the person they're talking about can just slam their fist on the Earth and completely destroy it; it's possible the character in question didn't say the statement with that in mind either.

It all really depends on context; as Antvasima said we should investigate such statements on a case-by-case basis.

Ok I won't lie this is beginning to go over my head. But one more attempt to get it right; the statements are not so much hyperbolic that they are contextual? So even if they are not completely correct in that the character can destroy the world in one shot they could still be correct that they could destroy everything over a period of time or when certain specifications are met depending on the series in question?

Davidsteel1 said:
Ok I won't lie this is beginning to go over my head. But one more attempt to get it right; the statements are not so much hyperbolic that they are contextual? So even if they are not completely correct in that the character can destroy the world in one shot they could still be correct that they could destroy everything over a period of time or when certain specifications are met depending on the series in question?
Yeah, you got it right.

I'd like to provide a very brief and concise summary of my viewpoint regarding this topic; my proposal for how we should tackle statements, so anyone can look over it; understand without giving themselves a headache or getting the wrong idea. I've had some difficulty, but here's what I've come up with.

When presented with a statement, whatever it may be. Whilst keeping the context in consideration, we extract the most coherent interpretation from it.

Well, I think that we already try to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back