• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to classify the attack potency of feats like the Hulk punching through the space-time continuum (He did it at least twice)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SavageHulkStrikingPower08135-1-
Hulk Shatters The Time Barrier Indestructible Hulk 015 019-1-
I made calculations about the first feat. Since Kang's time machine surpassed the speed of light, with no discernible evidence that it accessed hyperspace, and considering that it is possible to surpass the speed of light before accessing hyperspace (Silver Surfer has done that multiple times), so i concluded that the time machine was fueled by more than infinite relativistic kinetic energy, according to special relativity (i know it is impossible in the real world, but it's fiction). Therefore the Hulk had to strike with a third level of infinite force. More than a massive object that achieves the speed of light from an inertial frame (first level of infinity). More than Kang's time machine, that surpassed light speed, but the impact on the dimensional barrier was unsuccessful (second level of infinity). What do you think?

You might want to read this:

Power-scaling Rules for Marvel and DC Comics

Nevertheless, it is a display of power that is ridiculously above his normal showings (i.e., Planet and Star busting), so stuff like this is generally treated as outliers due to the fact that comics are notoriously inconsistent.

Thanks for the link. However, in my researchs i found at least three displays of infinite force (the multiversal earthquake, this feat above, and Hulk escaping from the infinite attractive force of a black hole). I think this configures a relatively high regularity. Besides, the Hulk's power fluctuates by definition, and so it is hard to define "outliers" on this context. Anyway, i appreciated your attention. Thanks!

The problem is that this is a huge inconsistency.

If Hulk had this level of strength on a regular basis he could sneeze on someone and they'd be instantly gibbed. The only explanation is that this is writing inconsistency as he's generally shown to be on Thor's level.

I understand. However, i dont think he has this level of power on a regular basis. It is a high end feat, consistent with his ever increasing power, and he only achieves this level of power when extremely enraged. That is why i said this is "relatively" frequent. Besides, i think even Thor can generate some kind of infinite force. He can also escape from black holes, for example. The difference is that the Hulk uses brute strength to accomplish that, while Thor uses his mjolnir-based powers.

Punching through space-time doesn't make sense from a perspective of physics at all. You can warp space-time, but not break it.

FTL beings do not have infinite energy. That is because no object will ever reach FTL as long as physics are followed and because once you are FTL relativity would predict that you have imaginary energy.

In terms of fiction it is also impractical to assume that they have to gain the relativistic amounts of energy while approaching FTL because most writers don't follow physics in that point. See here for regulations regarding that.

Lastly cardinal numbers can to my knowledge not even describe energy.

So this whole argument relies on false physics.

Ir you read my first comment you will notice that i anticipated this objection. Indeed, many things in fiction does not make any sense in the real world physics.The "real" physics does not always apply to fiction.

^wouldnt it than make sense to rate it as a hax? i mean he did it twice and it is clearly not only working because of his strength, do we need more qualifications in order to list it simply as a ability?

^but what else is required? cant we add it into his ability-list and simply say "can destroy a space-time continuum with his punches"?

Archangel 1980 said:
The real life science is clearly normative in the fiction world, but it is not absolute.
In other words you are cherry picking the parts that serve your reasoning and disregard everything else.

Quite obvious why that wouldn't be accepted, isn't it?

@GreatestSin: I guess one could add that he is capable of doing that (though in other formulation, since like that its sounds like he outright busted a universe)

I dont know the rules of this space. I am new here. And i am not suggesting a change in the Hulk's bio. I just made a question out of curiosity.

Im not "picking" partes that serve for me. I think you didn't read my introductory comment. I discarded the alternative, that is the hyperspace itself, and then concluded in favour of my argument.

Even building level characters have shown the capacity to tear small portions of space-time. It's simply regarded as hax.

As Don't Talk said we don't apply real world physics to FTL speeds as fiction indulging in such never follows them (for example, Flash's "infinite mass punch" is only Star level.

As for Hulk's multiversal earthquake feat. Since it only involves the destruction of physical matter it's only 3-A, however Hulk has been absolutely manhandled by 3-B characters such as Zeus consistently and even more consistently, been shown to weild much lower scopes of power, hence why his current bio has its current statistics.

Also, we differentiate between black holes in fiction and reality.

In that particular case, Kang's time machine, imbued with infinite relativistic kinetic energy, did not get to penetrate the continuum. Thus, by simple deduction, the Hulk had to create more than infinite kinetic force. It does not mean that it would destroy the universe, for the effect is localized (like in black holes, whose singularity with infinite gravity resides in the "center", and the attractive effect is limited in area, since it decreases in direct proportion to the distance).

About the multiversal earthquake, this feat is based on the premisse that the Hulk shows different levels of power, depending upon his degree of anger at a specific moment. The Hulk's power is dynamic. Besides, the Hulk who did this feat was the mindless Hulk, who was free from Banner's influence, and therefore more prone to anger and increasing power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back