• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Harry Potter characters durability

Lycanthropy is a magical illness known to be spread by contact between saliva and blood; thus, when a transformed werewolf bites a human, the bitten will become a werewolf themselves. Most Muggles, however, will die from the extent of their injuries in the instance of a werewolf attack as noted by Professor Marlowe Forfang.

It is extract from arry Potter wiki

Doesn't it indicate that wizards are more durable than muggles physically?

Peak Human level. I don't recall werewolves ever being shown to demolish trees or walls.

This logia does have a hole in it though. These are wizards, it's possible that they are able to mend injuries and their own broken bones to survive without medical attention through magic.

Magical healing wasn't shown as very superior to conventional one during the series (with exception for Phoenixes and Bezoars). I guess that it applies to all wizards permanently- they ave traits that muggles don't have even without wands. They can perform some tricks in their very young age and they can see Dementors and a lot of other things. Harandy co. survived jumping from dragon during their escape- it wasn't very big feat (as it was in the water) but looking how they werent injured during that indicates that wizards in fact are slightly superior to muggles in terms of durability.

I agree that wizards/witches are physically superior to your average human. But as TheMightyRegulator stated above, peak human is most likely. I doubt they even have wall level durability.

I agree with Aiden, so far Werewolf haven't shown anything regarding their biting power and seeing how small their mouths are their bite would probably kill mugles due to the disease the carry.

However, they could get an upgrade from surviving hits from... That tree (I don't remember the name, but it was a living tree)

The Womping Willow? Did Ron and Harry take a direct hit from it? My memory of the books is rather hazey.

AidenBrooks999 said:
However, they could get an upgrade from surviving hits from... That tree (I don't remember the name, but it was a living tree)
Whomping Willow

That thing couldn't even destroy a small car. Best it could manage was to damage the hood and roof of Weasley's Ford Anglia. It would have likely crushed the car only with a blow packing its full weight (which Ron avoided). It's barely wall level I think.

Darkanine said:
The Womping Willow? Did Ron and Harry take a direct hit from it? My memory of the books is rather hazey.
Ron and Harry never took a direct hit from it.

AidenBrooks999 said:
Forgot about that scene.

Someone should do a calc for the scene in Chamber of Secrets where the Whomping Willow damages Weesley's Ford Anglia. Then that will give us a good idea of its attack potency and we can finally judge the durability of these characters properly.

I stand by my contention that it's barely even wall level.

@Soldier Blue except they didn't get hit by the same branches, the ones that damaged the car (around Street level) were much larger than the ones on the video.

Kkapoios said:
@Soldier Blue except they didn't get hit by the same branches, the ones that damaged the car (around Street level) were much larger than the ones on the video.
So forever street level Harry Potter characters then?

If we give Street level durability, what about Athlete level AP for Quidditch-playing Wizards' physical strength? We have Beaters who 'trade blows' with Bludgers that can crack wizard skull or bones.

This could even be Street level with a bladed weapon.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_of_Gryffindor

Author's comments

• "The question of why a wizard would need a sword, though often asked, is easily answered. In the days before the International Statute of Secrecy, when wizards mingled freely with Muggles, they would use swords to defend themselves just as often as wands. Indeed, it was considered unsporting to use a wand against a Muggle sword (which is not to say it was never done). Many gifted wizards were also accomplished duellists in the conventional sense, Gryffindor among them."

So, Athlete/Street level Harry Potter physically?

Yup, however Rowling's comment on sword-wielding Wizards wasn't specifically meant for the usage of SoG; the comment was just referred in the SoG article.

Many gifted wizards were also accomplished [sword] duellists in the conventional sense

Not all of them would have carried the Sword of Gryffindor, heh. : P

So boys like Harry and Ron may get 10-A physically, girls like Hermione would be 10-B.

Reasons could be like 'have the physical fitness of Quidditch athletes'

@Heinkel Astrea I don't really see a reason why quinditch would give someone Athlete level AP, yes they may have Street level AP with a bat but anyregular human can do that .So let's not be too quick to judge.

I think Athlete level durability with high endurance would be more of the case, wizards in the HP world aren't said to be superhumanly strong or anything.

It's just an opinion I had, I wondered what you guys thought about it.

Athlete level is only like 100 joules of AP (tackling someone with your arm/leg at maybe 20 kph of broomstick speed against each other) so it may not be very high. If their durability scales to their AP during grappling scenarios, it might scale.

Just my opinion.

For example, the arm power to throw Quidditch balls like American football or basketball athletes. This would not necessarily scale to everyone (it certainly won't scale to Hermione or Molly).

We might even be able to actually calc this: how much joules of energy is released by one arm when propeling a Quaffle to speed exceeding Harry's Firebolt/Nimbus broomstick. Quaffle is stated to have the size of a football, so if it's all compressed air wrapped in thin fabric, should be around 400 g.

I just ran that calc and came up with 347.22222222028 joules (which is Street but should be an outlier since only World Cup level Keeper athletes can do this). If I reduce that to outspeeding a slower Nimbus 2000 from behind it (lower than Firebolt but higher than Cleansweep 7), it's 154.32098765346 joules. Athlete level.

Oops, I used kph instead of mph, which would increase the yield with the corrections but that's the general gist.

Harry and Ron clearly are not physical fighters, so what's even the point of find out their strength? (Also, with that said, why they will even have something superior to Human level?)

Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that Harry Potter Characters have no true reasons to fight H2H, they have swords like the last source, but they use their wand and magic to fight

In that case though, should we just standardize the wizards and scale them to their magic only? Dumbledore already has no physical tier right now, only magic, so maybe we can do the same for other wizards as well. It's unlikely to be used in most VS scenarios anyway.

Just a small suggestion.

Heinkel Astrea said:
In that case though, should we just standardize the wizards and scale them to their magic only? Dumbledore already has no physical tier right now, only magic, so maybe we can do the same for other wizards as well. It's unlikely to be used in most VS scenarios anyway.
Just a small suggestion.
Nah, I think that it's ok

And about the Durability, Athlete level seems reasonable

Back