• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grappler Baki: Making a Tier 7 verse Tier 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen Reaper in the comments since then... Perhaps he went to a monastery, or perhaps became a hikkikomori, after these words. The world is cruel... Should we buy him some ice cream?
I just decided not to dignify it with a response lol

But we have no info of the explosive.
Calculate the volume of the plate that exploded and multiply by the density of TNT (1000 kg per cubic meter).
Measure the distance between Retsu himself and Doyle's chest.
Measure the length of the Retsu jump.
Divide the second distance by the first and multiply the difference by the speed of the explosion.

@Shmeatywerbenmanjenson, could you please do this? You adequately approach your calculations and I like them

I'm neutral on the low end leaning more towards a higher magnitude

This quake was felt by everyone even outside which is telltale signs of Magnitude 5 or higher

It also caused a blackout accompanied with it

Though it is hard to deny the fact that the building nearby weren't affected in any meaningful way, they are still well made building on a military base which would definitely help against earthquakes

I don't see this being below a 5 realistically and I'd even support a 5.5 based on how everyone in the manga was struggling just to stand up with the severity of the shaking

Calculate the volume of the plate that exploded and multiply by the density of TNT (1000 kg per cubic meter).
Measure the distance between Retsu himself and Doyle's chest.
Measure the length of the Retsu jump.
Divide the second distance by the first and multiply the difference by the speed of the explosion.

@Shmeatywerbenmanjenson, could you please do this? You adequately approach your calculations and I like them
I might try my hand at it

Though there is no explosive to measure to find the size so I'd just have to assume a explosive size

It's a rollercoaster with that stuff. For the record I still think a magnitude 6 earthquake would be better.

Last edited:
I'm neutral on the low end leaning more towards a higher magnitude

This quake was felt by everyone even outside which is telltale signs of Magnitude 5 or higher

It also caused a blackout accompanied with it

Though it is hard to deny the fact that the building nearby weren't affected in any meaningful way, they are still well made building on a military base which would definitely help against earthquakes

I don't see this being below a 5 realistically and I'd even support a 5.5 based on how everyone in the manga was struggling just to stand up with the severity of the shaking
Panel blur could support a magnitude of 5.5 if there was damage to buildings, but since this is not the case, 5 is the maximum we can give. Glass windows and fences are in no way protected from seismic energy. Magnitude 4.5 is the fairest we can give the verse

Well, what's "the fairest to give" is for the staff (the calc group in this case) to decide, and I'm not sure how accurate 4.5 is

Right now, I'm leaning toward a minimum of magnitude 5

The quake was stopped. It didn't have one time to do damage. And considering how it was mentioned to be big in a country which averages the most earthquakes richter 6 is the least.

Here is the previous thread with the issue https://vsbattles.com/threads/yujiro-earthquake-feat.62685/page-2.

Well, what's "the fairest to give" is for the staff (the calc group in this case) to decide, and I'm not sure how accurate 4.5 is
Clover the earthquake was considered as big to people living in Japan. 4.5 is ridiculous as it's not even a good shake. Literally typing what constitutes a big earthquake starts at 6. And that was in Japan the country with the highest seismogenic activity. To take anything below 6 would be going against a statement by the people who felt it. Because of a fence standing? And the quake was stopped. Also we don't really have a good view of the buildings but a blackout occured.

Right now, I'm leaning toward a minimum of magnitude 5
Don't be so categorical. I just expressed my opinion and the opinion of Therefir

The quake was stopped. It didn't have one time to do damage. And considering how it was mentioned to be big in a country which averages the most earthquakes richter 6 is the least.

Here is the previous thread with the issue.
earthquake had more than enough time to break glass and wire fences. Anything over 5 looks unreasonable.

Don't be so categorical. I just expressed my opinion and the opinion of Therefir
I can be blunt at times, that's just how I am.

I think with the evidence displayed, going below magnitude 5 is less accurate. I more or less share Shmeaty's sentiments atm, especially given that this is a country where earthquakes happen regularly, meaning one that's considered a "big one" would be especially impressive

I think with the evidence displayed, going below magnitude 5 is less accurate. I more or less share Shmeaty's sentiments atm, especially given that this is a country where earthquakes happen regularly, meaning one that's considered a "big one" would be especially impressive
Yeah that's my point. We are going with a fence standing which was used in the story vs a statement by a local on the scale of the earthquake. Also Shindo five should be used here due to this being Japan.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Like see how much the lights on the houses are waving. Can we get anything from this?

Also that fence isn't exactly normal considering it has barbwire on top.
9.jpg

Last edited:

I am not against a magnitude of 5.0, but apart from the words that it is strong, nothing confirms this, while we have more reasons for 4.5

Would a rating of "8-B to High 7-C " be a suitable compromise? That covers the low end of Mag 4.5 based in lack of damage displayed, and the high end of Mag 7 based on it being an especially notable quake in a region where Mag 6 is fairly common

Would a rating of "8-B to High 7-C " be a suitable compromise? That covers the low end of Mag 4.5 based in lack of damage displayed, and the high end of Mag 7 based on it being an especially notable quake in a region where Mag 6 is fairly common
We can't suggest magnitude 7, simply because the footage is blurry. It must be either 8-B or 8-A. I'm happy with both options, but the first option is closer to me

I'm thinking either Magnitude 5 or 6 tbh, given everything that's been said, I'm super iffy about the lower and higher extremes (those being 4.5 and 7)

The extreme would be 4, where, according to the same article, people are afraid of an earthquake, and the walls may crack. 4.5 sounds like a safe bet, but I don't mind a magnitude 5. Let's see what other members of the calculation group have to say

After looking through this I actually think 5.5 to 6 would be the best option

Minimum of 5.5

This chart right here keeps track of all the major earthquakes in japan by year and within the past 14 days

As you can see just within the past 14 days they've had earthquakes ranging from 4.8 to 5.5 and when we look at the yearly review most major earthquakes are rarely below 6

Heres another interactive map showing all the earthquakes above 2.5 in the past year in japan

You can see that most of the major earthquakes are 5 and above with the largest earthquakes capping at 6

So I'd recommend a 5.5 and 6 magnitude end on that calc

Also in regards to the building not being destroyed, once again these are military grade buildings and skyscrapers which are meant to be able to take quakes ESPECIALLY in Japan where quakes are common
The Richter scale even points this out on Wikipedia

Last edited:
Also in regards to the building not being destroyed, once again these are military grade buildings and skyscrapers which are meant to be able to take quakes ESPECIALLY in Japan where quakes are common
The Richter scale even points this out on Wikipedia
This was probably the most well substantiated argument in the entire thread for the subject matter (upgrading to back 7, the earthquake). Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back