• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Grappler Baki: Making a Tier 7 verse Tier 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would a big earthquake be?

A big earthquake is one that has a magnitude of 7.0 or greater. Earthquakes of this magnitude can cause widespread damage and loss of life.

Literally the answer of Ai. So it fits pretty good.

...i can't find the context you're refering to that suggests the earthquake is a 7 in any way shape or form?
That's the context though... The scene/scan of Yujiro stopping the earthquake.

Again, I'm not authoritatively saying it is 7, or has to be.

I'm willing to entertain that it could be only 4.5-5 magnitude as NikHelton suggests (which would absolutely be the bare minimum magnitude of this earthquake is going by the context and clues, and would still be an upgrade to Yujiro). The guidebook could provide an even lower (or higher) magnitude if/when translated. The context clues we do have, and information surrounding earthquakes in Japan though simply suggest it is, in fact, a notably strong earthquake all characters present are perceiving/commenting on, something that's not very uncommon in Japan, which would likely be a 7 magnitude.

If the translated guidebook says it's a 3 or something, then rip I guess. I'd just need more than rejecting the context, context clues, and information we have about Japan and frequency/magnitude of earthquakes to believe otherwise.

That's the context though... The scene/scan of Yujiro stopping the earthquake.

Again, I'm not authoritatively saying it is 7, or has to be.

I'm willing to entertain that it could be only 4.5-5 magnitude as NikHelton suggests (which would absolutely be the bare minimum magnitude of this earthquake is going by the context and clues, and would still be an upgrade to Yujiro). The guidebook could provide an even lower (or higher) magnitude if/when translated. The context clues we do have, and information surrounding earthquakes in Japan though simply suggest it is, in fact, a notably strong earthquake all characters present are perceiving/commenting on, something that's not very uncommon in Japan, which would likely be a 7 magnitude.

If the translated guidebook says it's a 3 or something, then rip I guess. I'd just need more than rejecting the context, context clues, and information we have about Japan and frequency/magnitude of earthquakes to believe otherwise.
Damn there is a guidebook? Also as I said Bard says a big one would be 7 or greater.

I'd say that mag 6 or 7 is totally implied for a particularly large earthquake in Japan, but I'll entertain this for the moment.

I really don't get how you can say the visuals of this quake (which, might I add, was stopped far earlier than a natural quake and wouldn't have done anywhere near the same damage anyway) don't match an earthquake of that magnitude. What visuals? The buildings that we don't even see clearly, but are still shaking enough to have motion blur? The people falling flat on their asses because of the earthquake?

Last edited:
What would a big earthquake be?

A big earthquake is one that has a magnitude of 7.0 or greater. Earthquakes of this magnitude can cause widespread damage and loss of life.

Literally the answer of Ai. So it fits pretty good.
And is there proof it is in fact a big earthquake because so far, using a AI to answer questions isn’t a guarantee the answer given is the correct one and ngl, I prefer more sources on the matter than just a AI given one

I'd say that mag 6 or 7 is totally implied for a particularly large earthquake in Japan, but I'll entertain this for the moment.

I really don't get how you can say the visuals of this quake (which, might I add, was stopped far earlier than a natural quake) don't match an earthquake of that magnitude. What visuals? The buildings that we don't even see clearly, but are still shaking enough to have motion blur? The people falling flat on their asses because of the earthquake?
I will admit, they didn’t show the full panel as I was looking at this scan here.

The visual you provided is a bit more clear, but is the aftermath also shown the buildings going down as well?

Edit: I was referring to whatever that qualified as a Magnitude 7 Earthquake.

i'm willing to entertain that it could be only 4.5-5 magnitude as NikHelton suggests (which would absolutely be the bare minimum magnitude of this earthquake is going by the context and clues, and would still be an upgrade to Yujiro).
you kind of have to, because with the context given a mag of 5 is the best it can be given

The context clues we do have, and information surrounding earthquakes in Japan though simply suggest it is, in fact, a notably strong earthquake all characters present are perceiving/commenting on, something that's not very uncommon in Japan, which would likely be a 7 magnitude.
...it really feels weird, seeing people advocate against using physics to prove a feat is supernatural in nature using irl information and data

just because an earthquake is not uncommon doesn't mean people exclaiming that there is an earthquake an indication of it's magnitude. that's just them exclaming about a dangerous natural phenomenon
if the guidebook says 3, the guidebook can go to hell, because it's wrong and clearly contradicts the showing of the feat

just because the author says his character that can blow up planets in a single punch is wall level doesn't mean that he is,again, this is what i've been stating and what was dissmissed as "mental gymnastics"

the creator statements dont always supersede their work as It laregely depends on if the statement makes sense for that universe, in which case the fictional work should be checked for accuracy and for how consistent it is with the statement made

anltough if this ended up getting accepted, i may make a downgrade thread where my low self esteem doesn't imped my ability to argue ig, or i may comment here tommorow

edit: accidently posted it, hold on

Last edited:
It is impossible to move at will due to the intense shaking, which can throw those who do not secure themselves around.Most heavy and unanchored furniture moves or becomes displaced.In most buildings, wall tiles and windowpanes are damaged and fall. In some cases, reinforced concrete-block walls collapse.Most or all residences collapse or receive severe damage, no matter how earthquake-resistant they are.Most or all buildings (even earthquake-resistant ones) suffer severe damage.Electrical, gas and water service are interrupted.The ground is considerably distorted by large cracks and fissures, and slope failures and landslides take place, which can change topographic features.

The source came from this page and this is described the effects on the surface of the location having a Magnitude 7.

Anyway, I will stay neutral since I am unsure about the place having magnitude 7 earthquake on a daily basis as that itself actually requires proof to say the least.
I really don't get how you can say the visuals of this quake (which, might I add, was stopped far earlier than a natural quake and wouldn't have done anywhere near the same damage anyway) don't match an earthquake of that magnitude. What visuals? The buildings that we don't even see clearly, but are still shaking enough to have motion blur? The people falling flat on their asses because of the earthquake?
I should word that more carefully. What I mean is it doesn’t seems to qualify as a Magnitude 7 on the Shindo scale.

However, if we using the Richter scale.
It would seem to being this one.

IV to VNoticeable shaking of indoor objects and rattling noises. Felt by most people in the affected area. Slightly felt outside. Generally causes zero to minimal damage. Moderate to significant damage is very unlikely. Some objects may fall off shelves or be knocked over.10,000 to 15,000 per year
5.0–5.9ModerateVI to VIICan cause damage of varying severity to poorly constructed buildings. Zero to slight damage to all other buildings. Felt by everyone.

The visual you provided is a bit more clear, but is the aftermath also shown the buildings going down as well?
A mag 7 doesn't destroy buildings of that scale. At best, it might down some residential or wooden houses.

But, I do see your point. There is an overall lack of information. I'll try to see if we get anything later in the manga.
IV to VNoticeable shaking of indoor objects and rattling noises. Felt by most people in the affected area. Slightly felt outside. Generally causes zero to minimal damage. Moderate to significant damage is very unlikely. Some objects may fall off shelves or be knocked over.10,000 to 15,000 per year
5.0–5.9ModerateVI to VIICan cause damage of varying severity to poorly constructed buildings. Zero to slight damage to all other buildings. Felt by everyone.
At the very least, a mag 5 is acceptable, but mag 4 (literally a daily earthquake) is just ridiculous.

A mag 7 doesn't destroy buildings of that scale. At best, it might down some residential or wooden houses.

But, I do see your point. There is an overall lack of information. I'll try to see if we get anything later in the manga.

At the very least, a mag 5 is acceptable, but mag 4 (literally a daily earthquake) is just ridiculous.
According to the visuals, the buildings seem to being intact. Shaking, yes, but them being intact as we can see the Earthquake shaking prior to that and it look like a blackout occurred as a result of the Earthqauke in question assuming what I looked at that scan you show me correctly.

Mag 5 would be the lowest but better find one the lowest estimate of a big earthquake. I don't think anything below 6 is considered a big one.

This site claims 6 and above as strong and 7 and above as major.

Well I asked bing also and the answer is the same. A big earthquake would probably refer to 7 or beyond. Here is Bing's answer:

Earthquakes are classified based on their magnitude, which is a measure of the energy released during an earthquake. Here's a general classification¹³:

• 2.5 or less: Usually not felt, but can be recorded by seismograph. These occur millions of times each year.
  • 2.5 to 5.4: Often felt, but only causes minor damage. There are about 500,000 of these each year.
  • 5.5 to 6.0: Causes slight damage to buildings and other structures. There are about 350 of these each year.
  • 6.1 to 6.9: May cause a lot of damage in very populated areas. There are about 100 of these each year.
  • 7.0 to 7.9: Considered a major earthquake, causing serious damage. There are about 10-15 of these each year.
  • 8.0 or greater: Considered a great earthquake, can totally destroy communities near the epicenter. These occur once every year or two¹.

So, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 or higher is generally considered "big" as it can cause serious damage³. However, the impact of an earthquake also depends on other factors such as depth, distance from the epicenter, population density, and local building standards.

There are also sources for these. No idea if you would like them also.

Last edited:
The buildings would be intact if it was mag 5-7. These aren't homes, they're skyscrapers and what looks to be an airport.
Are they confirmed as a skyscrapers? There are tall buildings without them necessarily being skyscrapers if memories serve right.

Hell, I think in order to qualify as a skyscraper. It will need to being more than 100 feet tall and higher than that IIRC.

However, it is mostly because of the visuals ain’t that clear and the author not wanting to put more details (The latter is a reasonable assumption in this case)

Baki is set in Tokyo, so there'd at least be skyscrapers in this shot. But, even if there aren't, same difference my guy, the point was that these buildings wouldn't get demolished.

Nevermind as according to the wiki article regarding skyscrapers
“A skyscraper is a tall, continuously habitable building having multiple floors. Modern sources currently define skyscrapers as being at least 100 meters (330 ft)[1] or 150 meters (490 ft)[2] in height, though there is no universally accepted definition, other than being very tall high-rise buildings.”

Although not in a broad sense for sure though.

Regardless, I will remain neutral overall

I think everything points to at least a 6 but most likely a 7. Hope the guidebook has the exact magnitude.
That is now how this works as you do need to sure that people are killed, buildings has been damaged, and so on.

Also, I already listed the effects of Magnitude 5 of the richer scale here.
I should word that more carefully. What I mean is it doesn’t seems to qualify as a Magnitude 7 on the Shindo scale.

However, if we using the Richter scale.
It would seem to being this one.

Almost any feat on this site can be accomplished by an ordinary person in real life.
That's why I asked if he wanted to retranslate it-
Shut up Reaper, just yesterday a guy flew past my window and punched the air to generate shockwaves that would destroy the entire universe. But the God of Fire rewrote history and nullified his open defiance of physics. Would have been a close call but a magical girl flew at faster than light speeds to my rescue.

Baki is set in Tokyo, so there'd at least be skyscrapers in this shot. But, even if there aren't, same difference my guy, the point was that these buildings wouldn't get demolished.
Right now it is more appropriate to find the exact chapter for the panel being used as I am more curious on the fight that was supposed to happen, but got interrupted by the Earthquake.

If any of the buildings are still shown to being intact after that feat, then that is indeed a argument against using Magnitude 7

But the earthquake was stopped so it's not gonna cause much damage. Also there is nothing else. He stopped the earthquake and the fights continues. As it's night and I'm going to sleep I can't post scans but yeah there is nothing else beyond Strydum saying that even the earth is powerless before the confidence of the creature known as the world's strongest.

It doesn't matter since the quake was stopped nearly instantly. Beyond their reaction and the view shaking we have nothing else.

The thread was here. The calc was dismissed because the thread said he stopped movement of the Tectonic Plate itself, which would be 294+ Megatons since its total seismic energy and was therefore an outlier.

Don't know how that conclusion was reached but that's why it was removed.

Mag 5 would be the lowest but better find one the lowest estimate of a big earthquake. I don't think anything below 6 is considered a big one.

This site claims 6 and above as strong and 7 and above as major.

Well I asked bing also and the answer is the same. A big earthquake would probably refer to 7 or beyond. Here is Bing's answer:

Earthquakes are classified based on their magnitude, which is a measure of the energy released during an earthquake. Here's a general classification¹³:

• 2.5 or less: Usually not felt, but can be recorded by seismograph. These occur millions of times each year.
  • 2.5 to 5.4: Often felt, but only causes minor damage. There are about 500,000 of these each year.
  • 5.5 to 6.0: Causes slight damage to buildings and other structures. There are about 350 of these each year.
  • 6.1 to 6.9: May cause a lot of damage in very populated areas. There are about 100 of these each year.
  • 7.0 to 7.9: Considered a major earthquake, causing serious damage. There are about 10-15 of these each year.
  • 8.0 or greater: Considered a great earthquake, can totally destroy communities near the epicenter. These occur once every year or two¹.

So, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 or higher is generally considered "big" as it can cause serious damage³. However, the impact of an earthquake also depends on other factors such as depth, distance from the epicenter, population density, and local building standards.

There are also sources for these. No idea if you would like them also.
Felt by everyone as a big one but no buildings collapsed is a richter 5.5 to me.

And it is likely caused a natural earthquake - a tectonic plate movement.

So Yujiro is likely stopping a seismic energy at richter 5.5. Not just shockwaves. But haxxed at richter 5.5.

Felt by everyone as a big one but no buildings collapsed is a richter 5.5 to me.

And it is likely caused a natural earthquake - a tectonic plate movement.

So Yujiro is likely stopping a seismic energy at richter 5.5. Not just shockwaves. But haxxed at richter 5.5.
So, Small Town Level would be the minimum, or acceptable level?

Not the exact kind of town level I'm sure many were hoping (I'll admit, I'm still partial to the context suggesting higher), but Low 7-C still sounds good to me.

11cfdafb70a02247bfae65690fbc489862ca02c7bca76750240c0e12c9a6063a_1.jpg

I remember doing this tomorrow morning!!
I think I've become a meme

So, Small Town Level would be the minimum, or acceptable level?

Not the exact kind of town level I'm sure many were hoping (I'll admit, I'm still partial to the context suggesting higher), but Low 7-C still sounds good to me.
Hah, no

It's City for 5.0
and
It's City+ for 5.5

Conservation of energy is one of the most basic laws of physics and it's constantly treated as just a suggestion throughout fiction, with there being a distinction between Attack Potency and Destructive Capacity because of it. So yeah, physics does gets treated like a myth in powerscaling, as a consequence of it being treated like a myth in fiction
Ah, I remember all the people trying to use Destructive Capacity as if it renders the concept of Attack Potency invalid or some shit LMAO, plus some copious amounts of "arguments from incredulity" because blowing up spacetime continuums is apparently "inapplicable" as a feat of strength in reality according to these mooks.

Oh really? Try replicating this feat IRL.

11cfdafb70a02247bfae65690fbc489862ca02c7bca76750240c0e12c9a6063a_1.jpg

I remember doing this tomorrow morning!!

Shut up Reaper, just yesterday a guy flew past my window and punched the air to generate shockwaves that would destroy the entire universe. But the God of Fire rewrote history and nullified his open defiance of physics. Would have been a close call but a magical girl flew at faster than light speeds to my rescue.

I love this people

P.s.: Don't say nasty things to Reaper, he's good

He was playing along with Reaper LOL, no ill will intended in that comment xD
I haven’t seen Reaper in the comments since then... Perhaps he went to a monastery, or perhaps became a hikkikomori, after these words. The world is cruel... Should we buy him some ice cream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back