• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yujiro Earthquake Feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think 5.5, which is a viable option, fits best with what's shown and with other showings from the cast's high tiers. So just keep it as is imo.

Not a 5 on the Richter scale?! Where did that come from? It's a 5 on the Japanese scale. On the Richter scale the argument is for 6-7.

I'll say my counter argument again. We can't use "lack of damage" as an argument for having less than 6.0 when we couldn't clearly see the buildings. We have to use statements and how the crowd reacted to gauge the magnitude, and going off of statements, how the crowd reacted and stats about earthquakes in Japan, the magnitude is at the very least a 6.0 and more likely closer to 7.0.

We can get more staff input before moving forward cause it's very clear how everyone who has contributed their thoughts stands on the matter.

@Qawsedf

Okay. That seems fine then. We should preferably close this thread soon.

Qawsedf234 said:
Personally I think 5.5, which is a viable option, fits best with what's shown and with other showings from the cast's high tiers. So just keep it as is imo.
Honestly MCB is pretty consistent with their other 8B feat. Unless there's another

Not a 5 on the Richter scale?!

Shindo scale 4/3.5―4.4 is equal to a Mercalli V―VII earthquake. Even a Shindo scale 5 (Lower) is a V-VIII. Only 5 (Upper) goes into the VI-IX scale, and the damage in a Shindo 5 (Upper) was not at all shown in the chapter.

• Mercalli IV-V = Richter 4.0 to 4.9
  • Mercalli VI-VII = Richter 5.0 to 5.9
  • Mercalli VIII-IX = Richter 6.0 to 6.9
The most I see from it is a VI, which is about a 5.5

Amlad22 said:
We can get more staff input before moving forward cause it's very clear how everyone who has contributed their thoughts stands on the matter.
I'll clarify for myself personally: I agree that structural damage isn't a good way to identify its magnitude, due solely to the fact that it was stomped by Yujiro very shortly after it started, leaving character statements as the only reliable source of dictating its magnitude. There in lies the problem of interpreting what they said, and in my personal opinion, if a 7 is a "big one" as an average of Japan's EQ history, I'd say at least 6.5 should be reasonable

Also i see biased, not only do we see glass breaking from the far off buildings, but in the closer scenes where others are standing we see the background behind hanayma and the security guards clearly behind them we also see violent shaking with glass breaking. Going off of consistently, Japan being responsible for 6.0 earthquakes yearly in the Tokyo area i see no reason to believe it's not at least 6.0 there's more supporting evidence on our side for it being at least a magnitude 6.

I'm not going to lie.

If we are going to use the whole "We need proof that that it was X magnitude" then Yujiro shouldn't be Low 7C to begin with and we need to Lowball it to 8A.

If we want to go with a reasonable assumption like what Amlad is saying then we go with what tier he brings up

Either way, Low 7C strikes a rather odd balance of being speculatory because it's not the Lowball, but not too high to where the feat is too much speculation

Either way, I think the tier needs to change.

Do we use radiated waves or total seismic energy for scaling this feat?

If we decide to lowball the feat based on what is shown, Magnitude 5, MCB, which is actually more consistent with other feats in the series.

If we decide not to do this, we go with Amlad's suggestion.

Personally I would go with the more consistent end with 8-A rather than a unverifiable upgrade to 7-C.

If we lowball them to 8-A all we are doing is making the verse even less consistent. You can't make the argument of "this feat is too high and therefore not consistent" when it's done by the god tier of the verse. That's just flawed logic.

I've made my arguments for why a minimum of 6.0 is good and nobody has made a single solid counter argument besides "it's inconsistent" even though it isn't. I get I'm not a mod, but I'd like to see proper counter arguments be made.

I'll say my points again, since we can not clearly see the buildings in the distance outside of a violent amount of shaking and the fact that the earthquake lasted for a very short period of time before being stopped. The main and fair way of deciding the tier of this feat is to trust the members of the cast when they comment on it. If the martial artists living in Japan are used to earthquakes that are minimum 6.0-7.0, they wouldn't lose their shit over a 5.0, that's just common sense I shouldn't even have to argue that.

None of the buildings were notably damaged, and all of the other effects can be attributed to smaller earthquakes. It's not inconsistent, I just don't see any real evidence for taking 6.0 over 5.5 or 5.0 outside of wanting to upgrade the verse.

Again, I'd have to agree. If there are two means of figuring out the magnitude of the EQ, and one of them is unreliable, we'd go with the other, no? A "big one" wouldn't be quantified as something they feel on a regular basis, and if Yujiro stopped it quickly (which for all intents and purposes he did), then I don't see how it could be below what is considered a "big one".

"None of the buildings were notably damage"

Again I say. Firstly, we couldn't see the buildings clearly besides violent shaking. Second, the earthquake was stopped before large amounts of damage could occur.

We can't use something that we can't clearly see or didn't have time to happen as an argument to go against the statements of the cast and facts about earthquakes in Japan.

I'm not going to comment on whether or not the Feat is higher or not, but I'm saying this.

8A is actually moreso consistent then Low 7C, as it justifies further why characters who at best scale to Yujiro's casual 8B feat, are able to onconvience him

The very next feat is 8B, 8A is extremely consistent

Antvasima said:
Okay, so should we use 8-A then?
Like I said, I'm not going to say which one is more likely or not

But if it's decided overall that the Earthquake should be lowballed as we don't know, then yes, 8A is good.

But we do have a good idea of the magnitude? I am beyond confused at what is not getting across here. Is this wiki heavily against character statements or something? I've seen many profiles where stats have been determined by statements that are accurate

This wiki has a massive policy towards statements being consistent or not, I can't even tell you how many statements can be considered hyperbolic in some way.

So someone saying the earthquake is "a big one" is unreliable. I mean I guess if you're really against them. But that statement is pretty basic and straightforward to me

I can see where Oliva "Affecting the entire planet" can be seen as hyperbole, but an EQ being referred to as a "big one" can only be interpreted so many ways. It simply doesn't make sense for the EQ to be below average if referred to as a "big one". It's being directly contrasted against the average, which is 5.0-5.9, meaning it would have to be higher. How much is debatable (a lowball is the safest bet), but to be lower than 6.0 doesn't seem to make sense in the context of the scene

BakiHanma18 said:
I can see where Oliva "Affecting the entire planet" can be seen as hyperbole, but an EQ being referred to as a "big one" can only be interpreted so many ways. It simply doesn't make sense for the EQ to be below average if referred to as a "big one". It's being directly contrasted against the average, which is 5.0-5.9, meaning it would have to be higher. How much is debatable (a lowball is the safest bet), but to be lower than 6.0 doesn't seem to make sense in the context of the scene
Agreed.

Tbf, in context Olivia was effecting the entire planet. Just not in a way that's AP scalable.

BakiHanma sums up why the statement is accurate pretty well. I don't have anything to add to his response.

True, but wouldn't that fact just lend more credibility to the argument that the statements about the EQ are, in fact, reliable ways of dictating the magnitude of the EQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back