• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fate Ishtar's Noble Phantasm downgrade

Matthew Schroeder said:
Shall we downgrade literally every single character in fiction whose attacks don't do max collateral damage every time? Because this is simply the Aoe Fallacy.

Dante from Devil May Cry is ranked as Town / City level at his weakest, and yet you spent a huge chunk of his games fighting in-doors, and yet you never even destroy the room you're standing in.

Should Dante be Wall level?
Your point? Also Dante is City Block to Multi-City Block level, with Small City level+ being the slight possibility.

AnonymousBlank said:
@Matt
The DMC example is a false equivalency. The environment wasn't destructible so it was for all intents and purposes invulnerable.
Missed my point entirely. Even in cutscenes we never see Dante destroy anything more than some walls. He's only as strong as he is via scaling.

And even in stuff like Dragon Ball, characters don't planet-bust with every strike. Obviously doens't make them weaker.

You're acting like scaling and AoE aren't a thing.

RebubleUselet said:
Your point? Also Dante is City Block to Multi-City Block level, with Small City level+ being the slight possibility.
My point is that the attack destroying a mountain range isn't indicative of it being only mountain-busting.

I never said she fires Venus physically, she fires Venus conceptually, which is why the physical Venus is still there.

RebubleUselet said:
And assuming it is stronger than that is a textbook No-Limits fallacy.
It's not when you understand what the attack actually is and see her attacking it.

@Kaltias

I'm pretty sure that's easily reconcilable with the arrow becoming smaller, or that she wasn't actually larger than the planets, but that it was merely a trick of perspective.

I mean, is the arrow stated to become smaller or something? Inconsistent visuals are a thing, but if the premise of the calc is "she is firing a planet and blasting people with that", that needs to remain planet sized.

And if when she uses it in lore she nukes a mountain instead of a few continents, it's evident that she isn't actually firing Venus

Nps are recreations of Legends

Ishtar's Np is the recreation of her destroying a Mountain range.

Np rank is Anti-Mountain not Anti-Planet

Ishtar's best feat with the attack is nuking Uruk.

Why are we still debating that it's conceptually hitting as hard as the actual Venus would? When it is clearly not that powerful.

Please don't make me write an explanation of how Conceptual Venus shit works from the age of gods...

Because it's very clearly showing a planetary feat in the visuals? And again, it destroying a mountain and being ranked as anti-mountain doesn't diminush the actual power it has.

Just a thought, there's nothing to say that a servant can't control the blast radius/yield/size of their noble phantasm scale.

Arjuna, for example, is able to limit the scale of his NP as tight as possible in order to eliminate a group of demon pillars while making sure that he could give his allies a chance to escape.

Current range on Ishtar's Np is 999-??? with a maximum amount of targets at ???

There is a potential that Ishtar theoretically could destroy the planet, but we all know that the World would take measures to prevent such a thing. Thus, she has to limit the scale in a way that the planet will find acceptable.

There are simply too many rules in regards to what a servant can or cannot do on earth. Thus, we can only put on a tacky maybe on what Ishtar can do.

Just want to point out that there are frequently characters with descriptions that put them waaaaaaay lower than there actual feats. The demon Hekatoncheir from Bayonetta for example is stated to destroy mountains yet he has feats that put him at multi continent level

WeeklyBattles said:
Just want to point out that there are frequently characters with descriptions that put them waaaaaaay lower than there actual feats. The demon Hekatoncheir from Bayonetta for example is stated to destroy mountains yet he has feats that put him at multi continent level
Hekatoncheir has High 6-A feats, while Ishtar doesn't have any Tier 5 feats. Yeah...

@Matt

My point is, not only in the visuals she converts the planet into some sort of energy before firing it, but if it is stated that she is firing a concept, you can't calc that using the GBE of Venus.

A concept doesn't have a GBE, she can use it to smack people because lolfiction, but you can't equate it to firing the actual planet

As it stands now, we don't know if Ishtar possesses the power to:

1. Obliterate the planet

2. Can, but isn't able to because of the planet's defense system and is thus forced to limit it.

3. She can't because she's a useless goddess.

All of the divine spirits we have seen so far are horribly gimped in some way besides Tiamat (Thought even her mats say that she's sub-consciously gimping herself). Skadi is horribly weakened because she's trying to stop Surtr from escaping and Surtr claims to be able to burn the entirety of the world, but he's a different Surtr from our Surt so there's that.

with the next upcoming lostbelts being heavily tailored towards divine spirits and gods, we should get more information then.

Hmm...alright so since most say to downgrade than to not, I would take it that Ishtar, and Ere's to an extend since she's scaled to it...somehow, I assume 6-C is fair enough?

Again, the at least 7-A was more of me not knowing where mountain range busting tier goes so...again fair enough?

@Balo I heavily doubt that Ishtar's full power Venus buster is tier 5. Considering Super Surtr who is far above the Norse Kamigami doesn't have any tier 5 feats either. Ereshkigal's NP (which is mountain range level) states that it is in the same ballpark as Ishtar's np as well.

"The same as Ishtar's An Gal T─ü Kigal Shē, but instead of a shot from the great heavens to the great earth, this is the goddess of the underworld's punishment from the great below to the world above. An earth impact that crumbles Mt. Ebih through earthquakes and alterations to the very terrain. While its firepower falls short of Ishtar's venus buster."

Idk if this is readable but This is where they idea of her small planet level comes from. Also, by rank scaling if we used CCC encloypedia's index. EX-rank Noble phantasms are considered "Anti-Planet" and Ishtars is A++ just a peg down from that.

Also, she used a spear to destroy Mt. Ebih not her Bow.

TheUpgradeManHaHaxD said:
EX-rank Noble phantasms are considered "Anti-Planet" and Ishtars is A++ just a peg down from that.
Except no we aren't. If that was the case, Excalibur and everything comparable to it would be Small Planet level.

Right now is just a matter of what to write for Ishtar on that. Ere's fine other than downgrading it, but I'm thinking so far that Ishtar's can be something like "Destroyed an entire mountain range in her legend" and the aforementioned scaling of other NP's of similar ranking like Excalibur.

Whichever works best.

Also, I would assume the attack speed of Ishtar's NP is okay to keep? Unlike the AP, I actually have zero problems with keeping that one on her page. I just want to know where everyone has a stance on that real quick before we decide to edit (or is in the process of when I making this comment)

Back