• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail 100 Year Quest Discussion Thread: Post-Void Saga

Ya know I have a quick question that hopefully won’t start a huge debate but I just want to ask this question real quick to see how it would affect the verse in anyway

so I was rereading the manga and I noticed somethings about souls and spirts in the manga

and it seems that while souls and ghost/Spirts share some similarities they also share some differences as well

The Similarities being
Both can remain in the world of the living past their vessels death depending on the will and emotions of said soul and or ghost

Semi Differences
A Soul can’t physically touch a living being as seen in the case of Zirconis

but yet souls can be touched by living beings as seen in the case of Natsu and Lucy and happy holding on to there souls to resist Franmalth absorbing them
and we see Franmalth being Abel to touch a soul in order to absorb them

(well wraiths soul attacks can affect living beings so it seems some souls can touch a living being of used as an attack)

(And souls and emotions of all the dead dragons can all affect the dragon cry staff in order to power it up so there’s that aswell

Differences
A soul can be seen and can be talked to and can be heard by living beings as seen in the case of Zirconis and Hades

Where as a ghost/Spirt can’t be seen nor heard nor touched by a living being as seen in the cases of Mavis and Wraith

so how would these similarities and differences affect the verse if at all??

But if we need to save that discussion for later that’s fine to

IDK, I guess it makes regular souls in FT visible, audible, and have selective intangibility.

While those cases similar to Mavis and Wraith are imperceptible to regular or senses and have selective intangibility.

Last edited:
Ya know I have a quick question that hopefully won’t start a huge debate but I just want to ask this question real quick to see how it would affect the verse in anyway

so I was rereading the manga and I noticed somethings about souls and spirts in the manga

and it seems that while souls and ghost/Spirts share some similarities they also share some differences as well

The Similarities being
Both can remain in the world of the living past their vessels death depending on the will and emotions of said soul and or ghost

Semi Differences
A Soul can’t physically touch a living being as seen in the case of Zirconis

but yet souls can be touched by living beings as seen in the case of Natsu and Lucy and happy holding on to there souls to resist Franmalth absorbing them
and we see Franmalth being Abel to touch a soul in order to absorb them

(well wraiths soul attacks can affect living beings so it seems some souls can touch a living being of used as an attack)

(And souls and emotions of all the dead dragons can all affect the dragon cry staff in order to power it up so there’s that aswell

Differences
A soul can be seen and can be talked to and can be heard by living beings as seen in the case of Zirconis and Hades

Where as a ghost/Spirt can’t be seen nor heard nor touched by a living being as seen in the cases of Mavis and Wraith

so how would these similarities and differences affect the verse if at all??

But if we need to save that discussion for later that’s fine to
They are in fact the same, it's just that the magic that was used on them allowed them to be heard by normal people, for example Zirconis and Atlas Flame were only able to be heard by normal people after their soul was affected by Magic in some way, milky way/ Silvers IDSM. Natsu was only able to affect his own soul via Thought Projection Magic. Natsu Lucy and Happy couldn't touch their souls till after it was being affected by Flanmarth's Curse. So it's not that they are different then one another, it's more like you need a magic medium in order to affect the soul in some way.

Oh ok thanks that makes a lot more sense i appreciate ya explaining it

I was confused on why it seemed like both had some similarities but also share some differences despite them pretty much being the same thing

Hope Lucy gets some well deserved spotlight against Selene(Celestial/Star vs Moon).
Lucy deserves some badass moments now and then.
She would literally die if she faced even a Dragon that is not Acnologia level. Lucy is fodder to Selene. Mimi on the other hand is a better suited combatant.

You must have missed the parts where she was fighting the 9 Gates by herself, one shot the golems that Gajeel, Gray and Juvia could barely (if even) scratch, did more damage to said golems in a weaker form as well. So far everyone but Natsu (and Gigajeel) is getting sidelined when the 5DG pull up so if the pattern ever breaks, Lucy makes more sense to step to Selene than anyone else given the theme and she is even on her own rn while the rest are paired off.

I wanna see what he looks like at least

but I already feel like something has happened to him like maybe the leader of the Diablos guild has already eaten him and that’s why he wants more dragon god meat as he has already had a taste and now he can’t get enough of it

or maybe the real white wizard has done something to him like drained his power or maybe they are working together something to take over the world or something

because I still wanna see the real white wizard make an appearance and to do something maybe that could help Jellal and Erza better their relationship if they take out the real white wizard together because I’m sure Jellal is still on his mission to find the white wizard and take her out or take her into custody and as soon as this arc is over I’m sure the crew will inform him about how Fairs was a fake

Because im actually more hyped for the real white wizard to make an appearance than i am the dragon gods but that’s just me

I must have missed this on my initial reading
JGVD0Y9.jpg

Faris took in massive amounts of magic power from the White Cult itself and doing so influenced her mind and made her lose control, that explains why she acted so evil and like she really was the White Wizard, because she had absorbed too much of the White Cult’s magic power

You must have missed the parts where she was fighting the 9 Gates by herself, one shot the golems that Gajeel, Gray and Juvia could barely (if even) scratch, did more damage to said golems in a weaker form as well. So far everyone but Natsu (and Gigajeel) is getting sidelined when the 5DG pull up so if the pattern ever breaks, Lucy makes more sense to step to Selene than anyone else given the theme and she is even on her own rn while the rest are paired off.
She didn't fight the all 9 of the demons herself, only base Jackal. Cana mentioned herself that they were all able to destroy the Golems, it was just off screened. Plus the Golems keep on making more just like how Wolfen did. And no Gray and Juvia got their moment there in defeating Metro which pretty much outshines the Golden part. If you think Lucy scales to that much power in the first place, why can't she fight off Mira and Elfman then earlier then? Regarding the Dragon Gods, the "theme" was never really a factor. If you think because Lucy and Selene have so-called similar power, then Gray (or Juvia) should've had their step up against Mercuphobia because their powers are similar but it hasn't because even Gray or Juvia would get pulverised by Dragons. Since Lucy is no where near Dragon level, I don't see how it makes any sense for her to step up when in reality her power is fodder compared to Selene.

If you want to dismiss the demons that her Spirits fight like with Loke and Torafuzar and only count the ones she directly fought, then sure she only fought Jackal.

Everyone couldn’t scratch the Golems besides Lucy, Gajeel and probably Mira. Gray and Juvia blatantly couldn’t damage them either and only managed to harm Metro with internal attacks and UR, the same Metro who doesn’t even scale to his Golems seeing as the very same stuff that didn’t affect his Golems managed to harm him. Metro is trash, and Gray and Juvia are trash.

You might not realise but Lucy was fighting the Strauss Siblings at their peak. Of course she can’t beat them. Compare this to Gray who you think is stronger for beating the glass cannon Metro. Dude could barely beat two of the Siblings with a type advantage after Lucy hit them with Dress Mix (>>> Kyuubi Lisanna > Snake Lisanna > Taurus Dress >= Gajeel > Gray) and left them to fight a protracted battle against Skullion (bopped Tf outta Devil Gray) and Madmole (took FDKM to the face and was still going) who hard counter Elfman and Mira. All this while Gray recovered from what? A kick from Bickslow and Evergreen, and using his IDSM for 5 seconds? Gray is honest to god trash in 100YQ compared to Lucy and being stronger than him does not equate to sweeping aside Mira and Elfman.

Way to ignore context. Juvia isn’t part of the Quest, the arc was to introduce Diabolos and hype up the Dragon Gods, Team Natsu couldn’t do anything to Merc before Ignia helped out, the entire thing is a set up arc for the rest of the story. Rn we are in the third arc, the squad got sent to a dimension that amps them with Lucy having shown the clearest indication of better magic, she is by herself against one of Selene’s goons while the rest are paired off just to fight one themselves, she still has more Dress Mix to show off (and they are stronger than the rest of her Team besides Erza and Natsu’s transformations), said Dress Mix work based on how many Spirits you have out and we know Lucy can maintain 3 with the stamina aspect of 3 way Dress Mix being circumvented with a dimension that amps your magic, a new energy system that is looking to be a big thing in Elentir is based on spirits (guess who uses spirits from another dimension?) etc. There being a potential theme is not my entire argument but a small part of it. There is so much more evidence that points to the possibility that you elect to ignore because of this bizarre opinion that no one can step to the 5DG besides Natsu when Gajeel with a little help did just that against Aldoron.

If you want to dismiss the demons that her Spirits fight like with Loke and Torafuzar and only count the ones she directly fought, then sure she only fought Jackal.

Everyone couldn’t scratch the Golems besides Lucy, Gajeel and probably Mira. Gray and Juvia blatantly couldn’t damage them either and only managed to harm Metro with internal attacks and UR, the same Metro who doesn’t even scale to his Golems seeing as the very same stuff that didn’t affect his Golems managed to harm him. Metro is trash, and Gray and Juvia are trash.

You might not realise but Lucy was fighting the Strauss Siblings at their peak. Of course she can’t beat them. Compare this to Gray who you think is stronger for beating the glass cannon Metro. Dude could barely beat two of the Siblings with a type advantage after Lucy hit them with Dress Mix (>>> Kyuubi Lisanna > Snake Lisanna > Taurus Dress >= Gajeel > Gray) and left them to fight a protracted battle against Skullion (bopped Tf outta Devil Gray) and Madmole (took FDKM to the face and was still going) who hard counter Elfman and Mira. All this while Gray recovered from what? A kick from Bickslow and Evergreen, and using his IDSM for 5 seconds? Gray is honest to god trash in 100YQ compared to Lucy and being stronger than him does not equate to sweeping aside Mira and Elfman.

Way to ignore context. Juvia isn’t part of the Quest, the arc was to introduce Diabolos and hype up the Dragon Gods, Team Natsu couldn’t do anything to Merc before Ignia helped out, the entire thing is a set up arc for the rest of the story. Rn we are in the third arc, the squad got sent to a dimension that amps them with Lucy having shown the clearest indication of better magic, she is by herself against one of Selene’s goons while the rest are paired off just to fight one themselves, she still has more Dress Mix to show off (and they are stronger than the rest of her Team besides Erza and Natsu’s transformations), said Dress Mix work based on how many Spirits you have out and we know Lucy can maintain 3 with the stamina aspect of 3 way Dress Mix being circumvented with a dimension that amps your magic, a new energy system that is looking to be a big thing in Elentir is based on spirits (guess who uses spirits from another dimension?) etc. There being a potential theme is not my entire argument but a small part of it. There is so much more evidence that points to the possibility that you elect to ignore because of this bizarre opinion that no one can step to the 5DG besides Natsu when Gajeel with a little help did just that against Aldoron.
Reason why I mentioned Juvia because there were other fans who wished Juvia battled the Mercuphobia. Of course I knew the context, it is just that there are fans who are deluded and overhyping characters. So I was just planning ahead.

The fact you just say that Lucy is stronger than Gray means that you don't know how to interpret who is stronger. Gray can at least defeat a Spriggan while Lucy can not.

Just because Lucy is by herself, doesn't necessarily mean that she has the clearest indication. There were many characters who were by themselves in previous arcs and they didn't face the final boss. I doubt Mashima is gonna make anyone who is weaker to face Dragon Gods who are strong as Acnologia.

Well, it's the truth. Gajeel may have done something but it wasn't much. Whereas Natsu when he clearly can mix the flames of the strong fire dragons whom he inherit or eaten from and unleash it. Who else is powerful enough to at least fight a Dragon God? And has been implied by Erza and Elfseria in Chapter 3 that Natsu is the last hope in facing the Dragon Gods. The help from Ignia during Mercuphobia was clearly indicating that Natsu needs to get stronger if he were to fight Ignia. It is pretty clear that the Dragon Gods are basically the stepping stones for Natsu to get stronger. Lucy can't stand any chance against a Dragon God and just hearing that you think she could just makes me LOL. I only get the general flow of what would most likely happen, not favouring characters like you do.

There is a clear difference between them and now. Juvia wasn’t even on the right continent, Juvia hasn’t been showing off new forms and beating/scaling above people she wouldn’t have before, doesn’t have the potential to do so with her currently established power set/growth etc. Lucy on the other hand does. I don’t get why you are so hung up on putting other people’s ideas down when they are just excited for a possibility.

Spriggans? That’s your method of judging who is stronger? The guys from a year ago? A year where Team Natsu have trained, gotten stronger, fought new and stronger enemies, with new feats and scaling? There is nothing to interpret. Lucy smacked around people who Gray couldn’t scratch. She was out here one shotting people stronger than Gray. Lucy > Golem > Gray. ABC my guy. Current Gray has nothing on current Lucy as of now and she would kick the crap out of any Spriggan Gray could beat without a rage amp because that’s the only way he could accomplish anything.

You keep doing this, singling out one part of a whole and only addressing that part as if it is the whole. It isn’t any single point I brought up that led me to believe Lucy getting higher scaling has a good chance but the numerous

Who said Lucy can fight Dragon Gods? Definitely wasn’t me. My whole point is that she has the potential to do so (given that how her powers function easily allow for it to happen whereas the rest don’t) and that it would happen in this arc if it was going to at all. I don’t get why you are so hung up on putting other people’s ideas down when they are just excited for a possibility.

Me: “I think X is possible because of Y. If X is going to happen, it will happen in Z arc. I think it would be hype af.”

You: “X won’t happen because ABC.”

Me: “Like ..... all of that is wrong and has nothing to do with X being possible and happening in Z because of Y if it does happen.”

You: “ABC.”

I love when people still think Spriggan level is a high bar... I mean Team Natsu has long since surpassed Spriggan level, Spriggan level was for X792, we in X793 now and who knows much stronger everyone got in a year, I mean from the one year of X791 to X792, the whole cast went from struggling against Demon Gates to now battling and matching Spriggans, who are far stronger than Mard Geer, so if they can all jump that high in a year, god knows how much stronger they are in X793, all I know is that they are an entire scaling tier above Spriggans

I love when people still think Spriggan level is a high bar... I mean Team Natsu has long since surpassed Spriggan level, Spriggan level was for X792, we in X793 now and who knows much stronger everyone got in a year, I mean from the one year of X791 to X792, the whole cast went from struggling against Demon Gates to now battling and matching Spriggans, who are far stronger than Mard Geer, so if they can all jump that high in a year, god knows how much stronger they are in X793, all I know is that they are an entire scaling tier above Spriggans
Guess you may have a point. I guess the problem is that Gray hasn't done much yet throughout the 100 Years Quest. But that doesn't mean he's weaker than Lucy. Obviously, he definitely had trained throughout the timeskips given that he was supposed to be one of the strongest characters in Fairy Tail. Note, he's not even my favourite character and I always prefer Natsu over him. I guess maybe because I see him get screwed over lately.

Issue with Gray is that he's pretty much featless in 100 Year Quest, dude hasn't really done any good feats on screen, beating Mira and Elfman is solid, but we have no idea what forms they used, I mean was it Devil Slayer Gray that did it or his Base Form and what forms were Mira and Elfman in?

Really wish we got to see that fight

Issue with Gray is that he's pretty much featless in 100 Year Quest, dude hasn't really done any good feats on screen, beating Mira and Elfman is solid, but we have no idea what forms they used, I mean was it Devil Slayer Gray that did it or his Base Form and what forms were Mira and Elfman in?

Really wish we got to see that fight
Probably if we have the possibility that 100 Years Quest gets animated. Therefore it could show scenes where the manga left out.

Hopefully gray gets a new form or a new spell of something in the upcoming battle against the snow wizard from Selenes group
He and Natsu are up against Hakune, for this battle and for the first time ever saying this, I actually want to see more of Gray in this fight against Hakune over Natsu. Of course, Natsu would have to be involved in some way, but Gray has to perform more feats. Natsu probably has to be saved for Selene in the end because he is definitely the strongest of his group.

One question I will always have about 100 Year Quest is whether or not Mercphobia was only at half of his power when he was fighting Natsu
r5MRO2R.jpg

On the left, we have SorcererWeekly Translations, and on the right, we have the Official Manga Translations

SorcererWeekly Translations seems to suggest he is restricted to only using half of his power and that he can't use his Full Power if he wanted, but the Offical Manga Translations seem to suggest that he just hasn't chose to use more than half of his power yet, Ignia says that "Merc isn't even really fighting", implying that the reason he's not using his Full Power is that he's toying around with Team Natsu and hasn't gotten serious yet, there is nothing that implies he is prevented from using his Full Power if he wanted to and got serious

So I am eternally confused on whether he did use his Full Power against Natsu

I think he did end up using his full power since when he goes for the roar, they say it’s a serious roar or something to that effect.
See, that's my thought process, but people constantly argue that Merc was restricted to 50%

Wendy said it was a serious roar so maybe up until mercuphobia using the roar he wasn’t serious and was only using half of his full power
but maybe after mercuphobia used the serious roar and foward he was serious from that point on

Of course being serious doesn’t necessarily mean mercuphobia was using 100% of his full power but him being serious shows that he saw Natsu as a threat to some extent

but I don’t think he was restricted to only 50% of his power

I mean, Natsu fondled the 50%/not trying Merc and then we got a statement for a serious roar so it doesn’t make sense why he wouldn’t be trying now when we already know that he definitely can try as seen when he rained on Ignia’s flames to protect himself. If he has the awareness to try against god tier flames that aren’t even touching him at all, he can try against the god tier flames that are wailing on him.

According to the japanese version, the correct version seems to be the SorcererWeekly one.
vMIHH1I.jpg
Ok, but why? Could you explain why the SorcererWeekly version is more accurate please?

Does it specify that Merc is restricted to only half power?

I mean that’s fair, but google translate is still iffy, it doesn’t really effect scaling that much thankfully

I also think him being at 50% just makes more sense narratively . We got several statements about the God Dragons being on the same level, and yet Mercphobia was getting manhandled by Natsu amped by eating the flames of Ignia.

If Merc was at 100% then that implies that Natsu was actually stronger than Ignia in that instance, which just makes little sense, given all the buildup Ignia is being given. Not to mention that Natsu just ate the flames of one single attack from Ignia, which is likely far from his true power, which is implied to be equal to Mercphobia's true power.

So far Natsu has only beaten Dragon Gods in their weakened state (once with Ignia's help and afterwards with his own power), which makes sense narratively since Natsu still needs to grow in power in order to match Ignia whenever we get to the end of the sequel. Natsu already being at that level would make things far more boring.

Last edited:
I also think him being at 50% just makes more sense narratively . We got several statements about the God Dragons being on the same level, and yet Mercphobia was getting manhandled by Natsu amped by eating the flames of Ignia.
If Merc was at 100% then that implies that Natsu was actually stronger than Ignia in that instance, which just makes little sense, given all the buildup Ignia is being given. Not to mention that Natsu just ate the flames of one single attack from Ignia, which is likely far from his true power, which is implied to be equal to Mercphobia's true power.

So far Natsu has only beaten Dragon Gods in their weakened state (once with Ignia's help and afterwards with his own power), which makes sense narratively since Natsu still needs to grow in power in order to match Ignia whenever we get to the end of the sequel. Natsu already being at that level would make things far more boring.
To be fair, it could just mean that Ignia has become way stronger than the other Dragon Gods, plus even if Merc was at half power, Natsu still was dominating him and would therefore be very close to a Full Power Dragon God in that moment

It doesn't really effect scaling that much anyways since we treat Dragon Form Acnologia and Dragon Gods>Fairy Heart Zeref, but we have 0 idea if half of Merc's power would be weaker than or stronger than Fairy Heart Zeref, plus even if we scaled him to 1/2 of his original power, he'd still be High 6-A for all his keys

Yeah, narratively I wish it was clear that Merc was nerfed to half power, because currently to me, it sounds like Merc could still use his Full Power and Natsu still dominated him and even if Merc was at half power, Natsu shouldn't really have been able to handle him so easily, even if I still love the fight

Back