• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EXTREMELY URGENT: Gfycat is shutting down completely on September 1st. Please help out with replacing all of our wiki gif links to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Gfycat has now announced that they're shutting down, and that all data will be deleted on September 1st.
@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Shadowbokunohero @Ogurtsow @QrowBarr @Crazylatin77 @Zaratthustra @Just_a_Random_Butler @ElixirBlue @Tllmbrg @Nehz_XZX @Dereck03 @Marvel_Champion_07 @JustSomeWeirdo @Theglassman12 @Eficiente @DarkGrath @Moritzva @DemonGodMitchAubin @Duedate8898 @Planck69 @Armorchompy @CrimsonStarFallen @LordTracer @Emirp sumitpo @Lonkitt @LephyrTheRevanchist @Deagonx @Executor_N0 @Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan @Therefir @DMUA @Jasonsith @Migue79 @Psychomaster35 @CloverDragon03 @KLOL506 @M3X_2.0 @Dark-Carioca @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Aguywhodoesthings @Dalesean027 @DemiiPowa @Flashlight237 @The_Divine_Phoenix @ZackMoon1234 @MistaClean @MonkeyOfLife @FinePoint @Propellus

This is a massive problem for us that we need as much help as possible with handling properly.

All Gfycat-hosted gifs and images linked to in our regular wiki pages and important blog posts need to be downloaded, preferably reuploaded to our wiki, or if you really have to, Imgur, and then have the links to them updated as quickly as possible. All other wiki revision projects are far less urgent to apply, and should be placed on hold in the meantime.

Also, help from all of our experienced regular members who know what they are doing with applying these revisions would also be extremely appreciated.

Here are all of our current gfycat links:

You can obviously ignore all of the ones linked to from stored old wiki forum posts and probably sandbox pages as well, but the regular wiki pages and calculation and explanation blog posts urgently need to be handled quickly.

After Gfycat has been shut down it is also very likely that Fandom will globally prevent such links to be added to our pages, which will make all wiki pages with Gfycat links impossible to edit until the links in question have been removed.

Here is the page where you upload files to our wiki:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Upload

Update:

I have created a much easier overview of the pages that need to be updated, thanks to Agnaa's and Just_a_Random_Butler's instructions.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User:Antvasima/DPL2

You should all start with the pages that are not blog posts, and after you have finished with a few of them, simply click the edit button and then save for my page that I linked to above in order to update the lists in it.

Here is a step by step instruction procedure:

• Go to a page in the first section of this list.
  • Go to every gfycat link (most easily through ctrl+f for "gfycat", with "highlight all" ticked).
  • Open them in a new tab.
  • Right-click the playing video, and click "save video as".
    • It's probably best, but not mandatory, to keep the default name.
  • Upload the video onto the wiki through this page, using the add new image button (the add new video button doesn't work for this).
  • Once the video is added, open the video in a new page by right clicking its thumbnail.
  • Replace the gfycat link. It would originally be formatted something like [https://gfycat.com/ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye description of the feat]. This should be changed to [[Media:ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye-mobile.mp4|description of the feat]].
    • To elaborate, an extra square bracket "[" "]" needs to be added at the start and at the end, the link needs to be replaced by "Media:Filename.format", and the space between the link and the text needs to be replaced with a vertical line "|".
  • Repeat this process for each Gfycat link in the page, then save it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will follow for now, but I will need to get some sleep soon. But yes, this does seem like something where as much help as possible is appreciated.

Are any of our members willing to volunteer for helping out with this project please?

I'm going to finish dinner and some studying, then get started on some pages. I should begin in the next hour.

I've done a test upload; how should I link to it in profiles?

Like this, like this, like this, or in some other way?

Never mind, figured out that it's done by linking [[Media:FlawedDimpledHuemul-mobile.mp4|like this]] on-wiki.

I'll get started from the link after https://gfycat.com/flawedcomplexbellfrog (near the start of page 2).

Actually, I'll use those links to find pages, then just change every link on that page. This could cause issues with links appearing on multiple different pages, but this already catches some of those, and that seems like a better issue to have than the alternative, where pages need to be edited over a dozen times, once for each gfycat link.

Current page(s): Done for the night

Last edited:
I work today and have plans scattered across the next few days. Regardless, I will do what I can. 10,245 total links is less than expected but still a tremendous amount.

Is there a way to search for gfycat profiles with DPL? I'd like to prioritize replacing them in my profiles.

Is there a way to search for gfycat profiles with DPL? I'd like to prioritize replacing them in my profiles.
I'm surprised, but there actually is! I demonstrated a way to do so here.

We could possibly use this overall, to filter out links that aren't in blogs/userspace. Although, then we wouldn't be able to as easily spot when multiple pages link to the same gfycat URL.

It is my brother's birthday today, but I will do what I can as soon as I am able.

You can obviously ignore all of the ones linked to from stored old wiki forum posts and probably sandbox pages as well, but the regular wiki pages and calculation and explanation blog posts urgently need to be handled quickly.
Is it not possible to exclude these somehow?
I think that would drastically speed up the project as well, since those sorts of posts will quickly clutter the list.

Collectively, we'll need to replace about 300 links a day to achieve this.
If it seems like we're unable to do this alone in the coming days, then I could also recruit from my other communities if the task isn't too complicated.

Is it not possible to exclude these somehow?
I think that would drastically speed up the project as well, since those sorts of posts will quickly clutter the list.
I think it's pretty easy to skip over them, but if it's necessary, I could quickly whip up a DPL that only covers main/blogspace.

Some blogs would still need to be ignored, due to being profile drafts, but some would need to be included so we don't miss calculations.

I work today and have plans scattered across the next few days. Regardless, I will do what I can. 10,245 total links is less than expected but still a tremendous amount.
Only a smaller part of them are not in our saved old wiki forum posts though.

We could possibly use this overall, to filter out links that aren't in blogs/userspace. Although, then we wouldn't be able to as easily spot when multiple pages link to the same gfycat URL.
That is an amazing discovery. Thank you extremely much. 🙂🙏

Maybe we can set up intersection lists for Gfycat links and the Characters, Items, Real World, Verses, and Blog post categories? That would probably help a massive lot.

That is an amazing discovery. Thank you extremely much. 🙂🙏

Maybe we can set up intersection lists for Gfycat links and the Characters, Items, Real World, Verses, and Blog post categories? That would probably help a massive lot.
I think namespace would be easier; I can essentially use that to select for all pages on the main part of the wiki, or for all pages that are blogs.

Is there any reason why you'd want me to go by those categories instead?

How can I even download Gfycats GIFs to upload them elsewhere? I can't figure it out.

I have created a much easier overview of the pages that need to be updated, thanks to Agnaa's instructions. Thanks a lot again.

You should all start with the pages that are not blog posts, and after you have finished with a few of them, simply click the edit button and then save for my page that I linked to above in order to update the lists in it.

Last edited:
How can I even download Gfycats GIFs to upload them elsewhere? I can't figure it out.
Right click > Save video as works for me, using Firefox on Linux.

If that doesn't work for you, I know that youtube-dl can be used to download off of it, but it does so by default in a higher quality that makes the files too big for the wiki's own upload feature, so you'd either have to use imgur or ask me for further instructions on how to download in different qualities.

Well shit, done for the day, and it took me about 4 hours to replace ~110 links.

If we do actually need 300 link replacements a day, that means we'd need ~12 hours of collective effort per day.

If anyone can bring in anyone else to help, that may be necessary.

That does seem excessive. It may not be wise to wait, then, given the potential consequences.
Sometime tonight I could start a recruitment drive from Ascendant Craft and the FineVerse.

If we're using outside help, they'd obviously need to know what they're doing, though.
Could someone compile a list of links or instructions for someone who doesn't current have an account to help?
The process of replacing the links seems relatively straightforward, at least.

Well shit, done for the day, and it took me about 4 hours to replace ~110 links.

If we do actually need 300 link replacements a day, that means we'd need ~12 hours of collective effort per day.

If anyone can bring in anyone else to help, that may be necessary.
Again, the full list of links is misleading, as it mostly features saved posts from our old wiki forum.

This list seems far more useful to start with:

However, given that only administrators can edit blog posts, should the last (blog-focused) section of the page linked right above be handled by them, while the other sections are focused on by other members?

After Gfycat has been shut down it is also very likely that Fandom will globally prevent such links to be added to our pages, which will make all wiki pages with Gfycat links impossible to edit until the links in question have been removed.
Can we get some elaboration as to what this means? How will it be impossible to edit them?

Can we get some elaboration as to what this means? How will it be impossible to edit them?
If Fandom places an illegal or unreliable site on its global block list, pages that contain such links will not be possible to edit until after the links have been removed.

However, I am just speculating, but it seems very plausible if the Gfycat domain name turns up for grabs after the site shuts down.

I’ve already been making Imgur links for stuff like dead YT links so this just reinforces that’s I have to keep doing that I guess
Well, in theory Imgur could also eventually shut down, so it is safest to use our wiki for image and gif uploads instead.

When using the external links search tool, I would advise everyone to omit the closing slash in a link and check for http://, https://, http://www, and https://www parameters separately to catch more URLs.
  1. https://gfycat.com
  2. http://gfycat.com (Already done)
  3. https://www.gfycat.com (No results, but including for completeness)
  4. http://www.gfycat.com (Already done)
I'm going to be helping by systematically deleting Test: pages, as my computer is too slow for me to download and upload so frequently.

Last edited:

I've been using DPL for weeks now to eliminate inappropriate categories in namespaces (like user or blogs), and there is a more specific way to do this, since we also have to narrow our scope down so we can focus on the more important parts, therefore, it should be:

For Main (Like our pages)
Code:
<dpl>
namespace =
linkstoexternal = %gfycat.com%
</dpl>

For Blogs (Important blogs)
Code:
<dpl>
namespace = User_blog
linkstoexternal = %gfycat.com%
</dpl>

This way, we have more control over the DPL results, and what we want to specifically focus on.

This DPL usage is also possible with full FANDOM links and full forum links, I've been experimenting here.

Last edited:
Well, in theory Imgur could also eventually shut down, so it is safest to use our wiki for image and gif uploads instead.
Where did you hear about this? It doesn't seem to be shutting down anytime soon

That time ain't any time soon, though if imgur shuts down you're shit out of luck anyway, since the wiki is inconsistent with what scans to allow and what not to allow, and gif sizes are far too large for FANDOM's side of things to handle. This would be alleviated if FANDOM initiated a file size increase for better quality GIFs and what have you (50-100 MB file size limit would be the best possible outcome but I guess a small stepping stone to 25 like what Discord did would be nice), but that's already putting a strain on their servers, and it would not solve the issue of us lacking an albums feature for linking one line of text with a link to multiple feats, like say, combat skill feats or translation collections+proof and so on.

That time ain't any time soon, though if imgur shuts down you're shit out of luck anyway, since the wiki is inconsistent with what scans to allow and what not to allow, and gif sizes are far too large for FANDOM's side of things to handle. This would be alleviated if FANDOM initiated a file size increase for better quality GIFs and what have you (50-100 MB file size limit would be the best possible outcome but I guess a small stepping stone to 25 like what Discord did would be nice), but that's already putting a strain on their servers, and it would not solve the issue of us lacking an albums feature for linking one line of text with a link to multiple feats, like say, combat skill feats or translation collections+proof and so on.
Pretty much this. Imgur is just far too convenient and covers grounds not even wiki’s site can handle (ex. having translations paired with scans in different languages, videos with audio)

Pretty much this. Imgur is just far too convenient and covers grounds not even wiki’s site can handle (ex. having translations paired with scans in different languages, videos with audio)
The main wiki can handle videos with audio now!

Sadly, all the other points where it's lacking still stand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back