• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

We will now use bold text for Intelligence, Stamina, and Range statistics

We've already had this conversation (maybe multiple times?) when working out the capitalisation of these ratings.

It seems really weird to rehash this argument here of all places, or for Tllm to unilaterally decide to change that.
I can't speak for Tllm, but I don't know where that was discussed. I don't actually care to debate it, I'm just trying to go against the idea that this is some underhanded thing if it was addressed already.

I still think that it's redundant to list the word "Range" in a small selection of stats in a section already called "Range", in the same way that I don't think we should rename our intelligences to "Average Intelligence", "Genius Intelligence", etc.

If people insist, aight. Shit's a small point.
The problem is that "Standard Melee" and "Extended Melee" are incomplete phrases and we cannot apply incoherent/inconsistent bolding standards that almost nobody will be able to keep track of.

@Tllmbrg

You need to make corrections in any pages that you messed up here. My apologies. 🙏

Yeah, I believe "Below Standard Melee," "Standard Melee," and "Extended Melee" are fine in terms of naming.

Again, those are not complete phrases. It is extremely bad slang English.

Also, we would have to revise many thousands of pages for no gain.

Personally, I tend to agree with Agnaa and Ant. This is an atrocious amount of work for something that, in the end of the day, isn’t very noteworthy.

(About to yap)
Also, yea, that English is definitely flawed. “Melee” is a noun. The words we use on our profiles are descriptive, i.e., words that describe the category. When we do use nouns (like in the AP/Durability section) the word is followed by another word like “Level” to show the preceding noun was intended to be descriptive. In every other instance we conjugate the noun (like say how we use “Planetary” or “Universal”).

@Tllmbrg

Again, you are required to help fix all of the pages that you messed up. My apologies.

For ranges Galactic and above, they're slightly incongruous with AP, LS, SS, and Durability in that they use "-versal" instead of "verse level", but the latter sounds a bit awkward. What do you all think?

Yeah, "Standard Melee" and "Extended Melee" aren't complete on their own. By themselves they don't mean anything. And not bolding the "range" at the end just looks pretty horrible, as shown in my screenshot.

It's not like intelligence at all. Words like "genius" and "average" hold a lot of meaning by themselves in reference to "intelligence." They're fine like that.

With the risk of being slightly rude, but with no personal disrespect intended, I honestly think that the notion of not using full bolded phrases with words that have their beginnings capitalised in the same manner as the other range statistics is quite stupid.

Can we move on beyond this argument and begin to clean up all of the pages that were messed up please?

For ranges Galactic and above, they're slightly incongruous with AP, LS, SS, and Durability in that they use "-versal" instead of "verse level", but the latter sounds a bit awkward. What do you all think?
I do not think that our current solution is perfect, but it isn't harmful either, and as you said, the alternative isn't really an improvement, so, given that we will not gain any benefits from changing our range naming conventions, that we are already trying to apply the statistics key moving project and the intelligence/stamina/range bolding project at the same time, that Dread might be unavailable to help us out with a mass-editing bot, and that we need to initiate Damage's infobox adding project afterwards, I really do not think that this is a good time at all to focus on such issues.

I do not think that our current solution is perfect, but it isn't harmful either, and as you said, the alternative isn't really an improvement, so, given that we will not gain any benefits from changing our range naming conventions, that we are already trying to apply the statistics key moving project and the intelligence/stamina/range bolding project at the same time, that Dread might be unavailable to help us out with a mass-editing bot, and that we need to initiate Damage's infobox adding project afterwards, I really do not think that this is a good time at all to focus on such issues.
Okay. I've completely cleared out outdated Striking Strength names that got missed for Tier 11-Tier 4, but the Range ratings are interfering with my attempts to set up queries to do the same with Tier 3-Tier 2, so that'll have to wait.

Okay. I've completely cleared out outdated Striking Strength names that got missed for Tier 11-Tier 4, but the Range ratings are interfering with my attempts to set up queries to do the same with Tier 3-Tier 2, so that'll have to wait.
Oh. I see. Yes. I suppose that is a problem.

Can your mass-editing program simply detect instances of this occurring and then let you handle the changes manually, for safety reasons?

Okay. Thanks a massive lot for your help. 🙏

Regarding “Range” bolding, as per my understanding, and through my code, I bolded them. I also made sure, it is specifically those terms, and not any keyword “range” in the page.

I did not keep up the discussion beforehand. What exactly did we agree on the non-official range/other statistics?

Converting them all to “Unknown” or to some all-agreed specific range since? I need to modify my code before mass-editing them all

I’ve been doing edits by hand tbh
Thank you very much for trying to help out. 🙏
Regarding “Range” bolding, as per my understanding, and through my code, I bolded them. I also made sure, it is specifically those terms, and not any keyword “range” in the page.

I did not keep up the discussion beforehand. What exactly did we agree on the non-official range/other statistics?

Converting them all to “Unknown” or to some all-agreed specific range since? I need to modify my code before mass-editing them all
I think that we agreed to let them be and let others gradually correct them, but may misremember.

Alright. I will do tier 1 today after the check-up for keys replacement project. I will leave the unofficial rating as they are.

Will do rest on weekends.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, our official statistic terms should be bolded, and usually have their first letters capitalised, and you are free to convert inaccurately used terms to our official standard terms in cases where said conversion is obvious, and then use bold text for them afterwards, but it will likely take far too much time for you to realistically do so, so it is likely a bad idea.

Thanks a massive lot for your help in any case. 🙏❤️

Just to clarify, our official statistic terms should be bolded, and usually have their first letters capitalised, and you are free to convert inaccurately used terms to our official standard terms in cases where said conversion is obvious, and then use bold text for them afterwards, but it will likely take far too much time for you to realistically do so, so it is likely a bad idea.
Yes, my code covers all this:
  • Search for all aforementioned keywords in the official pages
    • Is strictly not allowed to search anywhere in the page except those 3 sections, which they all follow the same formatting.
      • Otherwise it would replace all aforementioned keywords which would damage the page
  • Bold those keywords
    • In case there is no capitalisation, it should capitalise them.
  • Convert all “irrelevant” range to “Unknown” range
  • Convert all “infinite” to “limitless” stamina
My issue would start if the page is inconsistent with formatting in general, so if the page:
  • Does not have '''[[Range]]:'''/'''[[Intelligence]]:'''/'''[[Stamina]]:''' but instead of any other, it won't scan them and replace any
  • The page itself does not have those sections
  • False spelling of those keywords
  • Unofficial rating (this could be solved through consensus)

FYI, this comes across as unnecessarily harsh Antvasima. Try to avoid accidental rudeness when interacting with other users.
Okay. My apologies about that then. I just want him to help correct the errors that he added, especially as he has not responded regarding the issue. These are just generalised standard instructions that I give to members who make bad edits, and are not targeted toward Tllmbrg specifically.

Yes, my code covers all this:
  • Search for all aforementioned keywords in the official pages
    • Is strictly not allowed to search anywhere in the page except those 3 sections, which they all follow the same formatting.
      • Otherwise it would replace all aforementioned keywords which would damage the page
  • Bold those keywords
    • In case there is no capitalisation, it should capitalise them.
  • Convert all “irrelevant” range to “Unknown” range
  • Convert all “infinite” to “limitless” stamina
My issue would start if the page is inconsistent with formatting in general, so if the page:
  • Does not have '''[[Range]]:'''/'''[[Intelligence]]:'''/'''[[Stamina]]:''' but instead of any other, it won't scan them and replace any
  • The page itself does not have those sections
  • False spelling of those keywords
  • Unofficial rating (this could be solved through consensus)
That mostly seems fine, but our official highest Stamina statistic is currently "Infinite", not "Limitless".

That bot that’s being sent out? It’s not exactly doing what it should be

Not all stamina sections have been properly edited. And if words like “gifted” or “genius” dare to appear anywhere else on the page? They get bolded too

Yeah, I’m gonna stick to doing things by hand (which was already my plan tbh)

Mind showing me exactly those pages that bolded the keywords anywhere else in the page? Because I was doing this by my own hand, and I did not find any? My code excludes any of those terms outside of aforementioned sections. Yes, it is possible.

Alright, seems there are also cases (I did not know that the words can be repeated in the same section and sentence), so I now modified it that it excludes any aforementioned keywords if they are inside a sentence/brackets.

Thanks, @Lonkitt, for pointing out.

Thanks a lot for helping out, both of you. 🙏

Are any members willing to check through and correct the previous Bot edit errors please?

Also, if you are going to edit lots of pages Lonkitt, do you want temporary content moderator rights in our wiki, and if so, for how long do you need them/is this project going to last for you?

Back