• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important urgent information about Discord-hosted image-links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
First, please take note that this issue will not significantly affect our wiki, due to that I took the precaution to initiate a revision project to, among other things, replace all of our Discord-hosted image-links a few months ago, and several of our most helpful members were extremely kind enough to apply all of the required editing in practice through lots of hard work.

However, I think that our community might still find this information relevant, so here are the quotes that Medeus informed our staff about a few hours ago:
@everyone Please pass this to EVERY SINGLE POWERSCALING SERVER YOU'RE IN. This is not a drill - Discord file links will expire within a few hours starting soon, meaning all scans currently hosted through Discord will eventually be LOST unless backed up. Consider archiving everything you rely on with the Wayback Machine and using new image hosts for your scans. I personally recommend ImgBB the most, but it's really up to you. I apologize for using an everyone ping, but I'm fairly certain that this is important enough to warrant one, especially for profile authors.
1000049586.png

Last edited:
There's probably gonna be some users who'll lose stuff on JBW and FC/OC.
I've said it before but always keep local back ups.

It appears that only blog posts are left, and only our administrators have the ability to replace them.

No, as far as I am aware, we have handled our VS Battles wiki blog posts as well:

Yes, definitely, and I think that we should continue to do so with more replacement edits for all unreliable or illegal external links in our wiki.

Thanks a lot for helping out so much. 🙏🙂💖

Something related I've noticed is that, for some people (including myself), all sufficiently old direct DMs in Discord have been wiped. I distinctly remember a few months ago having conversations going back to 2017, but now, I have none older than November 2022.

As far as I can tell, this is done through a raw number limit. Opening a DM conversation with someone who I hadn't messaged since 2019 made it newly visible, and hid the previously-oldest DM conversation I could see. Here's a screenshot showing a before and after of this.

Pressing the cross to "hide" certain conversations doesn't let older ones appear.

The messages are still saved in Discord's servers, so if you start messaging the person again, they'll re-appear.

Conversations can be hidden for one person, but visible for the other.

If you have anything important saved there that you'd like to access later, back it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back