• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

EXTREMELY URGENT: Gfycat is shutting down completely on September 1st. Please help out with replacing all of our wiki gif links to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does seem excessive. It may not be wise to wait, then, given the potential consequences.
Sometime tonight I could start a recruitment drive from Ascendant Craft and the FineVerse.

If we're using outside help, they'd obviously need to know what they're doing, though.
Could someone compile a list of links or instructions for someone who doesn't current have an account to help?
The process of replacing the links seems relatively straightforward, at least.
I can only give partial instructions here. I don't know what the signup process is like nowadays, but after they sign up (and wait the waiting period that I think we have?), they should....

• Go to a page in the first section of this list.
  • Go to every gfycat link (most easily through ctrl+f for "gfycat", with "highlight all" ticked).
  • Open them in a new tab.
  • Right-click the playing video, and click "save video as".
    • It's probably best, but not mandatory, to keep the default name.
  • Upload the video onto the wiki through this page, using the add new image button (the add new video button doesn't work for this).
  • Once the video is added, open the video in a new page by right clicking its thumbnail.
  • Replace the gfycat link. It would originally be formatted something like [https://gfycat.com/ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye description of the feat]. This should be changed to [[Media:ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye-mobile.mp4|description of the feat]].
    • To elaborate, an extra square bracket "[" "]" needs to be added at the start at the end, the link needs to be replaced by "Media:Filename.format", and the space between the link and the text needs to be replaced with a vertical line "|".
  • Repeat this process for each Gfycat link in the page, then save it.
With that out of the way, I'm gonna start going through pages again.

Current page(s): Done for the night.

Last edited:
Again, the full list of links is misleading, as it mostly features saved posts from our old wiki forum.

This list seems far more useful to start with:

However, given that only administrators can edit blog posts, should the last (blog-focused) section of the page linked right above be handled by them, while the other sections are focused on by other members?
Some of the blog links (Particularly the ones of mine on that list) are quite outdated, regardless, I've updated them all with non gfycat links.

Thanks a lot to everybody who are helping out here. Should I update my first post in this thread with Agnaa's step-by-step instructions?

Okay. I will do so then.

So do any of you have any updates? There seem to be quite a lot of pages remaining to edit.

I'm going to keep helping out whenever I have time, prioritising it above my other wiki duties, but not above my personal life/sanity.

I won't get to it tonight, but I'll keep working at it whenever I can.

Last edited:
If this new list is all that actually remains, then it's only 504 regular pages, which is a drastic improvement from what was previously believed, and we may not need external help after all.

I will dedicate a few hours tonight to it and then update you.

Thanks a lot for helping out. All help is greatly appreciated. 🙏

Back to it.

At JARB's request, I've made a thread for contacting verse supporters, when Gfycat links are dead or incorrect.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all of your help. It is extremely appreciated. 🙏

I would greatly appreciate if our staff members with administrator rights focus on the blog posts.

Also, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Agnaa, and Just_a_Random_Butler, did my Dynamic Page List script that I linked to above cover all the relevant Gfycat links in our wiki, or are there alternative URLs that lead there as well?

Hmm. Lots of regular pages are still listed as containing Gfycat links:

Thanks a lot for all of your help. It is extremely appreciated. 🙏

I would greatly appreciate if our staff members with administrator rights focus on the blog posts.

Also, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Agnaa, and Just_a_Random_Butler, did my Dynamic Page List script that I linked to above cover all the relevant Gfycat links in our wiki, or are there alternative URLs that lead there as well?
So far, yes. I've been using my DPL though.

The only links I see so far are:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/
https://gfycat.com/

Which is covered by %gfycat.com%, pretty much.

Hmm. Lots of regular pages are still listed as containing Gfycat links:

The fact that there are still 500+ more pages to go on the Main namespace is crazy, but we have plenty of time remaining.

Also, Ya Boi King Kai said it wouldn't cause issues, regarding the Gfycat links, which is great news. Although I've already been doing it to some extent. And in the past three days alone, I have uploaded a total of 1,310 Gfycat MP4s.

Will do.

Yes. You can obviously skip the profile drafts.

Yes. You can obviously skip the profile drafts.
Here is a DPL that lists out blogs about calculations only, if people need it:
Code:
<dpl>
  namespace = User_blog
  category = Calculations
  linkstoexternal = %gfycat.com%
</dpl>
There are probably important blogs that aren't just calculations, but I'll focus on calculations first.

There were some dead Gfycat links that redirected me to Redgifs though, which is quite annoying, as it's a **** site.
Hmm. That isn't good. My apologies for that you had to endure that. 🙏
Then we should prioritize removing redgifs, after which we can add a spam filter to stop links there. I only found one, though:

The 4th of July distracted me, but I did talk about this with the team over at Ascendant Craft. While I don't think a full recruitment drive will be needed anymore, our head of human resources, @QueenCripple has agreed to personally come and assist us as well.

I'm confident that with the time remaining, and the clear dedication from the people helping out, that we'll be able to complete this project in time.

Queen, if you'd like to introduce yourself here and/or ask any questions to get started, then go ahead. You can reference this post for some simple instructions:

I can only give partial instructions here. I don't know what the signup process is like nowadays, but after they sign up (and wait the waiting period that I think we have?), they should....

• Go to a page in the first section of this list.
  • Go to every gfycat link (most easily through ctrl+f for "gfycat", with "highlight all" ticked).
  • Open them in a new tab.
  • Right-click the playing video, and click "save video as".
    • It's probably best, but not mandatory, to keep the default name.
  • Upload the video onto the wiki through this page, using the add new image button (the add new video button doesn't work for this).
  • Once the video is added, open the video in a new page by right clicking its thumbnail.
  • Replace the gfycat link. It would originally be formatted something like [https://gfycat.com/ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye description of the feat]. This should be changed to [[Media:ComplicatedNeedyAyeaye-mobile.mp4|description of the feat]].
    • To elaborate, an extra square bracket "[" "]" needs to be added at the start at the end, the link needs to be replaced by "Media:Filename.format", and the space between the link and the text needs to be replaced with a vertical line "|".
  • Repeat this process for each Gfycat link in the page, then save it.
With that out of the way, I'm gonna start going through pages again.

Thanks a lot for being willing to help us out. All competent help is highly appreciated. 🙏

Thank you very much again. 🙏🙂

-deleted everything that was here- Oopsie~

I am going to re-check everything from the Edit Source, as I was just checking the base page.

Last edited:
Thank you very much again. 🙏🙂
No problem!! When FinePoint asked if I would like to help with this, I happily agreed. I apologize if any of my messages sound a bit robotic, I get a bit stiff and awkward in new situations, but I will warm up as I get comfortable. One thing I do in my spare time is watch YouTube videos about lost media, so preserving media is in fact something I am passionate about, and I am more than happy to help.

@Antvasima
Would it be possible for QueenCripple's wiki account to be set to autoconfirmed manually so that they don't have to wait four days?
Right now they're unable to edit the articles to actually replace the links.

Well, I do not have that kind of access to wiki settings, but our wiki manager Ya Boi King Kai might be able to help them out.

-deleted everything that was here- Oopsie~

I am going to re-check everything from the Edit Source, as I was just checking the base page.
What do you mean more specifically?

Well, I do not have that kind of access to wiki settings, but our wiki manager Ya Boi King Kai might be able to help them out.
I have no idea how to contact them. Would it be possible for you to ask?
Otherwise, we'll have to wait a full four days before Queen is actually able to replace any links.
What do you mean more specifically?
Just a small confusion over needing to use source editing to easily see all of the links, since Agnaa's instructions neglected to mention it.
I've already clarified it for them.

Last edited:
Update:

Earlier, I discovered new domains for Gfycat links, such as "giant.gfycat.com". Additionally, there were some links that only started with "//gfycat.com", but these links would still fall within the scope of the %gfycat.com% DPL query, so there should be no concerns.

These links were found in various calculation blogs. And speaking of which, I have removed all instances of Gfycat links from the calculation blogs, including the newly discovered links mentioned above.

All blogs with "Calculations" categories have been cleared. BUT, there are most likely still calculation blogs that don't have the "Calculations" category.

Last edited:
Update:

Earlier, I discovered new domains for Gfycat links, such as "giant.gfycat.com". Additionally, there were some links that only started with "//gfycat.com", but these links would still fall within the scope of the %gfycat.com% DPL query, so there should be no concerns.

These links were found in various calculation blogs. And speaking of which, I have removed all instances of Gfycat links from the calculation blogs, including the newly discovered links mentioned above.

All blogs with "Calculations" categories have been cleared. BUT, there are most likely still calculation blogs that don't have the "Calculations" category.
If new domains are a problem, I threw together some wildcard searches to help:
  1. https://*.gfycat.com
  2. http://*.gfycat.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back