• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the followed threads of each user also get transfered to the new forum?

I wouldn't like having to search for each thread individually after the forum move, as it seems many are kinda expecting that isn't the case.

As far as I have been told, every thread that you have ever replied to will be automatically placed in your followed list.

I do not know yet. We need to backup the forum, and install said backup first, along with making sure that everything works properly, and preparing the lists of usernames that will be sent the email invitations.

Well, I hope that we will be able to handle remaining personal invitations via the private wiki chat.

They won't really be.

We won't allow non-staff to edit profiles during the move to reduce the workload, and we'll need to redirect any links to versus threads to the new forums, but aside from that nothing's happening to the profiles for now.

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Well you can edit your own user page to get edits.
That is also a good idea, yes.

So, sometime in the next 24 to 48 hours, our forums here on VsBattles.Fandom will begin being backed up & transferred, & until the move is complete, revisions will have to be put on hold?

During this time where most threads except the Fun & Games forum, the General forum, the Versus threads forum, the rule-violation reports thread & the information threads about the migration itself, will publishing Calculation Blogs still be worthwhile?

will publishing Calculation Blogs still be worthwhile?

Sure, but as part of the lockdown you won't be able to edit pages, so you won't be able to apply them to pages or make new pages.

IIRC Ant did confirm that Calculation Blogs will remain untouched and we can still just carry on with them like always a few comments up once the wiki is open again.

EDIT: SORRY I MEANT THEY WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED

Will there be email notifications for the new forum?

We could technically use that option, but the service would cost a lot of money to apply, so it might be better if we strictly use internal notifications instead.

Imaginym said:
So, sometime in the next 24 to 48 hours, our forums here on VsBattles.Fandom will begin being backed up & transferred, & until the move is complete, revisions will have to be put on hold?

During this time where most threads except the Fun & Games forum, the General forum, the Versus threads forum, the rule-violation reports thread & the information threads about the migration itself, will publishing Calculation Blogs still be worthwhile?
I think that this option technically won't be shut off for regular members (although I am not certain), but it is probably best if you avoid publishing them unless they are very important, as it would take up a lot of my time to keep helping out with around 40 blogs each day, and I both really need a break and for both me and the staff to be able to focus sufficiently on the moving process.

If there is a currently ongoing discussion in a blog post, you can probably continue as usual with that though, and inform the calc group members about new important responses via their message walls.

16 hours left actually, cuz 12.00 am UCT time.

You can message calculation blogs to calc group members on message walls I suppose.
That is our preliminary deadline at least.

KLOL506 said:
IIRC Ant did confirm that Calculation Blogs won't be untouched and we can still just carry on with them like always a few comments up once the wiki is open again.
The blogs will be untouched according to the information that I have been given, yes.

They will disappear in May because Fandom want to replace all forums with discussions (which doesn't work for us).
That is correct, yes, although it is largely because the old forums use an outmoded and bad programming system, so with the general system update they won't work anymore.

What will happen to all the previous matches that were added? The thread would be deleted, of course. Would that mean we have to go archive the discussions, or remove the match?

Those threads will be archived and copied onto the new forum. We'd need to replace links to go to the new forum, but the matches will stay.

Are there any issues with, at this time, disclosing what title &/or sender the invitation notification email will have when users receive it? I assume it might be subject to change in the near future or the like, at least or that there may be concerns that disclosing such info could be a security concern.

Speaking personally, I often stress that I might somehow not receive it, despite being confident the system likely won't glitch or the like, & I'm think many users receive many email notifications per day from Fandom about followed threads & the like. Among so many such emails, it may be difficult for a user to locate an email if the user does not know what title or sender to look for.

I'm not sure, Fandom sends it I presume.

By the time we get the notification email we won't get forum notifications anymore since they'll be nuked lol.

I am not sure. I told everybody my own setting for email notifications at least, to minimise the risk that the relevant ones are lost in the mail.

Pour one out for the forums

Also there's always the associated Discord if y'all want to chat while the migration is u derway

This forum won't be shut down for chatting during the migration. We will just stop with all of the revisions, and nothing will be saved after today.

Yeah we can still chat in the forums, it's just that everything you say won't be saved.
Unofficial versus threads can take place too.
Hehehehehehe...

When you say nothing after today will be saved, do you mean threads made after the forum change starts? Or any/all of the on-going threads already made?

I mean new posts and threads made after today. If you make a backup of the contents of your computer today, and then add lots of new files to your computer later, the old backup will not automatically contain said new files or modified versions of the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back