• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The forums will be backed up sometime between April 15 and 30. Then it will take some days to convert the discussion threads to the right format and install them in the new forum, and then invitations will be sent out.

I have been told that this community will get as much extra time as possible by Fandom to get this done properly in any case.

On a lighter note, I noticed my e-mail was confirmed back in 2013, is that the earliest of anyone on the wiki ? Or is there someone who beats even me ?

We will have to try to invite them manually via the private wiki chat function, but have to handle one thing at a time.

I also want to inform that there is another account that has the same name as the one i am using because i forgot the password of the old account and created this one (the one i use) just wanted to mention this in case some problem presents itself because of the other account

It is probably not a problem, but you need a confirmed email address that you use for it.

Yes. We have created an external forum that we will move to. The rest of the wiki will remain where it is though.

We'd probably be able to link to/embed them on the external site, but we wouldn't upload it to the site itself.

The plan is that we upload the images to this wiki, and then link to them in the new forum, to save traffic costs and to guard ourselves against copyright complaints.

Anyway, a new important issue to bring up:

After the forum move is done, we will need to start a massive revision project to redirect several thousands of versus thread links to their new location. This is extremely important, both to provide a good overview, and to increase the traffic to the new forum from casual visitors, so we get enough advertisement money to pay for it.

The redirection process itself has been set up to be very logical, and I will tell you about it later, but it will require an awful lot of editing for a prolonged period of time to get it done, and it will clutter our recent changes page to the point that I, Elizhaa, and the content moderators will not remotely be able to keep up and inspect all of the suspicious edits while this is going on.

The question is, should we prolong the partial lockdown of the wiki, so only staff members can edit the profile pages, until this is done, so I and others do not get completely overworked, and the staff can handle it on their own? Or should we simply create public messages that all editing not related to this is forbidden while the revision project is going on, and get help from trusted regular members?

The former option seems safer to me, and also far less likely to give me prolonged overexhaustion, as staff edits seldom need to be patrolled/inspected by me and others.

First option also seems more practical. I don't think public messages are gonna stop the casual editors from editing. Extending the lockdown seems like a good idea but we'll also need a lot of staff support since there are about 25K profiles to go over.

Can we not grant a temporary staff status or something like that to the trusted regular members who might be able to help?

Watch someone getting promoted and then the actual staff forgets to demote him

Thank you for the input. I think that granting temporary discussion moderator rights to trusted regular members who volunteer to help out could be a good idea.

Well, the Fandom staff will likely get more tools to combat them with the system update that will be applied soon, and our new forum itself will initially be invitation (from staff members) only for some months until we get everything in order, so the troll problem there will be minimal during that time. After this, Community Hired has told me that we will have more advanced blocking tools at our disposal than Fandom is currently able to use.

I hope that we might be able to block VPNs in their entirety, as Wikipedia does, but don't know if this is possible yet.

I hope so at least. The staff options in the new forum can be a bit complicated in some respects.

Well, we should always use blogs for that in the first place, so preferably yes.

Anyway, it takes considerably more effort from the trolls to spam us with nonsense than it takes for staff members with WHAM to remove them. They are still rather tiresome and annoying to deal with, but we shouldn't exaggerate the problem either.

Antvasima said:
...our new forum itself will initially be invitation (from staff members) only for some months until we get everything in order.
Just a heads up (sorry for my seemed-absence, I've been around and keeping my eyes on this thread), I'll be helping with this directly, as well, in case some users are getting issues. Should help alleviate any bumpiness in this regard.

Okay. Thank you. We will obviously give you regular admin or bureaucrat rights in the new forum.

Antvasima said:
Anyway, a new important issue to bring up:

The redirection process itself has been set up to be very logical, and I will tell you about it later, but it will require an awful lot of editing for a prolonged period of time to get it done, and it will clutter our recent changes page to the point that I, Elizhaa, and the content moderators will not remotely be able to keep up and inspect all of the suspicious edits while this is going on.
Another solution I can offer is to give only the main contributors from the staff on this wiki "Bot" status on their account. This will remove some clutter from Recent Changes and will need to be removed ASAP because it can cause issues if you need to contact support and they need certain tracking information from edits.

I was just given important information by the Fandom staff.

The VSB, Joke Battles, and FCOC forums will be backed up around 00:00 UTC on April 15. After that nothing will be saved.

As such, it is very good if the Joke Battles and FCOC staff create highlighted threads that explain this to their communities as well.

We can also apparently extend the partial wiki lockdown a while after the move, so we can get the revision done.

@NoGround

I suppose that could be an idea to hide their edits, but it would require yourself to become actively involved with granting these rights. I do not have a high enough rank to do so myself.

I'm aware, it's pretty normal for me to grant bot status requests. It's also a part of my job lol, so feel free to ask me to. I'm extending the offer because I'm able to enable a new solution not possible otherwise.

Okay. Thank you. It would simplify the process of quickly overviewing which accounts that need to have their new rights removed afterwards as well.

I tend to clean up Discussions once a month by deleting all of the polls placed in the wrong forum (since it takes too long to move them all).

I would appreciate help from discussion moderators with this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back