• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

This is information regarding that I, my friend, Fandom, and Community Hired are beginning to prepare for the forum migration.

To do this Fandom will backup our current VSBW, JBW, and FCOC forum threads, send them to a programmer who will convert them to the right format, and then Community Hired will install them into the new forum.

However, any posts made after this date will not be saved, and we all also need sufficient amounts of free time to organise the actual moving process, especially myself (who currently has to manage up to 14 hour daily work shifts).

As such, Fandom and CH suggested that we should lock the forums completely while this is going on, and strictly communicate via message wall threads.

However, I did not consider this a realistic option to maintain for possibly a few weeks, especially given that our members still need to unwind and get stress relief from the global crisis that we are all going through, so I think that we should simply halt all wiki revision discussions, and only allow commenting in the Fun & Games forum, the General forum (so our members can talk about what is happening in their favourite fictions), the rule-violation report thread (to notify the staff about troll attacks and similar), and an information thread regarding the moving process in our News and Announcements forum.

We will also likely have to lock the wiki itself for editing from non-staff members while this is going on, to not get overwhelmed with handling too many important tasks at once.

I and the official Fandom staff will create pop-up information messages regarding this for all logged in visitors to the wiki, but I need the rest of the staff to help out with "enforcing" the lockdown of all other discussions by continuously informing the other members about that we are taking a break from all other wiki revisions while the moving process is going on, while linking to this announcements thread, but that they are free to talk about non-serious issues in the Fun & Games and General forums in the meantime (with the knowledge that these will not be saved to the new forum), and that they should all follow and keep themselves updated via the official migration information thread. It is also very appreciated if they help out with calming people down if they get upset about it.

It is also possible that we should keep the Versus forum open, so our members can have their regular fun, but then all of you have to be aware of that none of the new threads or posts there will be backed up and migrated, or referenced in our profile pages.

After everything is finished, Community Hired and Fandom will collaborate to send out email invitations to all of our members who have been active for the last 2 years, have over 100 edits, and are not banned.

Help and cooperation would be extremely appreciated, and please take note that the partial lockdown will only be temporary until Fandom and Community Hired finish with their work.

My superior at Fandom has proposed an export date of April 15 to his engineers, but they still need to confirm that the script updates will be ready by then. And they need to agree to that date.

I have been told that it is probably safe to assume that we'll be able to do the export sometime between April 15 and 30, so nothing from that date will be exported, and we should lock the regular wiki pages for non-staff members, as well as stop all revision discussions, a little before that happens. The partial lockdown will then be active until Community Hired has finished installing the backups of VS Battles, Joke Battles, and FCOC to the new forum.

After that has been finished, the invitation messages with login information to all members with confirmed email addresses will be sent out. If you still have not confirmed your email, you can get information how to do so by clicking here.

In any case, it is now time to start quickly wrapping up the content revision threads that you are already engaged in, and not start any new ones, unless they are extremely important.

EXTRA NOTE TO THE STAFF:

This is just a note that I tried to explain that the transitional period will start around April 14, not yet, and that you should tell our members to stop the discussions and link to an information thread, not close down their threads, as the threads will remain closed when imported into the new forum. Please inform the rest of the staff about this.

First Witch said:
Can we do a final waifu thread then? I mean stuff isnt saved sooooo....
Pics are tho

Moritzva said:
... would it be okay to mess around & make unserious versus threads during this time, as a final hurrah and farewell?
Quick bump. I don't want to waste any time, here.

MistaClean said:
What about our members that has joined less then 2 years ago
It means those who made their last edit at any point of time in the last two years. So yes, they'll get an invite if they fulfil the other conditions.

So our message walls and blog posts would be unaffected by the forum change? If so, couldnt we copy + paste the current on-going CRT's members have made to them just so progress isn't lost?

On this point, in the OP: "we should lock the regular wiki pages for non-staff members", do this mean regular wiki pages will be admin-protected?

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
So our message walls and blog posts would be unaffected by the forum change? If so, couldnt we copy + paste the current on-going CRT's members have made to them just so progress isn't lost?
Message walls will be later replaced with something just like the new discussion system.

This has been a long time coming. Let's hope we can all remain civil about this, and that the forum move can be as painless as possible.

I personally am still concerned about the prospect of linking the matches to the new forum, since they likely won't be displayed the same way as they are now. But, if it can't be helped, then I won't make a fuss.

Moritzva said:
... would it be okay to mess around & make unserious versus threads during this time, as a final hurrah and farewell?
Yes, but only in the Fun & Games forum, the General forum, and the Versus threads forum. Other than that, only the rule-violation reports thread and the information threads about the migration itself should remain open.

MistaClean said:
What about our members that has joined less then 2 years ago
This is about members who have not been active for 2 years or more, not ones that joined more recently.

I'm Blue daba dee daba die said:
How about VS Threads from before the Move, will they be saved
Yes.

Elizhaa said:
On this point, in the OP: "we should lock the regular wiki pages for non-staff members", do this mean regular wiki pages will be admin-protected?
I think that there will be a special setting for the entire wiki that prevent regular members from editing the wiki, but not administrators, content moderators, discussion moderators, and hopefully calc group members.

When you said that you needed to be active for the last 2 years. Does that mean people who joined a year ago for example won't get a email or am I reading this wrong?

Yes.

If so, couldnt we copy + paste the current on-going CRT's members have made to them just so progress isn't lost?

The progress up until April 15 (or a bit later) will not be lost, and the staff also need to focus much of their attention on the migration progress itself, which won't be possible if we have lots of content revision threads going on at the same time.

Dusty Raider said:
When you said that you needed to be active for the last 2 years. Does that mean people who joined a year ago for example won't get a email or am I reading this wrong?
Only the people who have been inactive for 2 years or more will not get an email. If you have made at least one edit in the last 2 years, then you're fine. But someone who made their last edit in 2017, for example, won't get an email.

Yes, but only in the Fun & Games forum, the General forum, and the Versus threads forum. Other than that, only the rule-violation reports thread and the information threads about the migration itself should remain open.

... so, starting tomorrow, I can go wild with threads?

Eheheheh.

Really hope I manage to get that email, haven't been getting any emails from Fandom for a while now, otherwise it's good to know we have a date for the move, thanks for all your work Ant

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Really hope I manage to get that email, haven't been getting any emails from Fandom for a while now, otherwise it's good to know we have a date for the move, thanks for all your work Ant
check just in case go to your prof "My preferences" then the tab that says "email" there you can see if the email is active and confirmed also if you go to the bottom it says "disable all emails" make sure you dont have a check mark on that and is left in blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back