• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Elden Ring General Discussion

My dude, that is the issue here. We are in complete disagreements over what the dialogue from two separate NPCs says.

I literally already gone over the evidence and I don’t find it significant enough for that matter especially when it is not a solid case.

So I being quite frank on disagreement. Heavily emphasized on disagreement
Thats chill, agree to disagree.

"The rings that you’re looking at in the logo are not so much a representation of those factions, as you put it, but more a representation of the law of the world, the rules and the order. This Golden Order is something that the Elden Ring may have once represented, but not directly. It’s more about how you apply those rules and how you enforce them on the physical world and what effects they have on it. So it’s more the influence of these demigods that existed a long time before and how they applied these concepts of order and discipline. That’s what’s being represented by the Elden ring and these overlapping intersecting rings. It gets a little bit more complicated than that, but I’ll leave it there for now [smiles]."

Apparently this came from this interview here:

Again, never brought up universe. Just world as well.

Don’t think we get anything else other than as I look into this.

In all honesty, "World" can have multiple meanings, if he straight up said planet then yeah no confusion

Regardless, while I would love it if we went for Low 2-C, 3-A might be more plausible

In all honesty, "World" can have multiple meanings, if he straight up said planet then yeah no confusion

Regardless, while I would love it if we went for Low 2-C, 3-A might be more plausible
I am aware of this hence why I say it earlier of “World” has multiple meanings as I say in one of the Early replies.

However, we can not deny the multiple statements regarding stars, stardust, comets, and so on.

The fact the item description from one of the comet spell implied a comet.

Edit: Implied, I mean, as it is not actually directly anyway

Also as a friendly remainder, in the Lord of Frenzied Flame ending, we get Melina survive if we burn the Erdtree with the Frenzied Flame as shown here.

Kinda hurts the argument when the land, that Melina is in, being intact.

I think we should only give the Tarnished what he uses in official gameplay videos and screenshots by FROM SOFTWARE and Bandai. There is no way we should account for all types of weapons, spells, talismans and staffs.

Because Elden Ring is an RPG, and everything could be canon. A RL0 build could be canon and the Tarnished would be naked with a club. Or the Tarnished could be a mage, a paladin, he could follow Ranni's steps, become the Lord Of Chaos, there is simply no way you could define canon besides what FROM SOFTWARE has shown to us. The raging wolf set, the bastard sword and a few spells would be what we should consider the canon Tarnished.

Even stuff like the Moonlight could be an optional equipment since it comes from a big quest that changes the game completely.

Because Elden Ring is an RPG, and everything could be canon. A RL0 build could be canon and the Tarnished would be naked with a club. Or the Tarnished could be a mage, a paladin, he could follow Ranni's steps, become the Lord Of Chaos, there is simply no way you could define canon besides what FROM SOFTWARE has shown to us. The raging wolf set, the bastard sword and a few spells would be what we should consider the canon Tarnished.
That feels needlessly restrictive to me. Especially considering that even just taking proportional material, Raging Wolf default isn't at all the only thing that shows up.

I don't think it's restrictive, I think it's a good compromise between nothing and everything. The Tarnished could canonically explore every place and have every single item, at the same time he could not. It's not like we don't have any promotional material to show us what the Tarnished uses, right?

Raging wolf was the first armor set is definitely canon, the one that should be used for the profile render and indexing the equipment. It's the first set used by the Tarnished in the official Shadow Of The Erdtree trailer, having only one minor adjustment in one scene, and appearing a lot more than the others. Actually, the starting classes all appear for a moment or another, always the default look. Samurai, Vagabond, Prisioner etc. The first gameplay reveal also has the Tarnished as the raging wolf. It's clearly implied and intended from FROM SOFTWARE's side that the raging wolf is the canon Tarnished appearence, as it's the most used one, the one they chose to be in the promotional material. That's no different from the other souls games with stablished looks for the main character. The other classes also appears in the trailers, but they could easily be in the gallery profile.

I don't see the issue with assuming a Composite Tarnished when this is pretty commonplace with how we treat RPG characters on the site. It's nearly impossible to account for all the differing paths a player could potentially go unless there is class restrictive stuff, which we usually account for like we do with Commander Shepard for example (where he has several keys with different abilities and stuff depending on which class is chosen). That doesn't exist for the Tarnished however, you can account for all of the abilities and equipment he could have because he isn't restricted by anything outside of player choice.

Basically, the assumption with the Tarnished profile would be one at maximum level with all abilities and equipment unlocked and acquired, which is completely feasible within the game. It might not be feasible within a single playthrough, but I don't see the rationale to assume only the initial playthrough is all that should matter here.

It's nearly impossible to account for all the differing paths a player could potentially go unless there is class restrictive stuff, which we usually account for like we do with Commander Shepard for example (where he has several keys with different abilities and stuff depending on which class is chosen).
You don’t count for different paths, we never did that. We have know the Tarnished went on to defeat Radagon and the Elden Beast, and we know the game has mandatory bosses, like Godfrey, Gideon, Maliketh and at least two Great Rune bearers. So we already have the basics of the journey.

We know, from official trailers, screenshots and different promotional content that the Tarnished wears the Raging Wolf set. We know the sword is the Bastard Sword. We know the Ash Of War they use. FROM SOFTWARE has shown us what the “canon” Tarnished would look like.
That doesn't exist for the Tarnished however, you can account for all of the abilities and equipment he could have because he isn't restricted by anything outside of player choice.
How can we account for everything if a bunch of quests contradicts each other? How are you going to make a composite Tarnished profile if quests have choices that you should make? How are you going to index the Tarnished choosing to side with Jerren and Sellen at the same time? Choosing Jerren will lock you from picking up Lusat’s set and Azur’s set.

Millicent’s questline also has a choice that can give you one of the most powerful Talismans in the game and one that gives you a weaker version. Either one or another.

I don’t understand how the game having player choices is a justification to add every item in the game to Tarnished’s profile.

Basically, the assumption with the Tarnished profile would be one at maximum level with all abilities and equipment unlocked and acquired, which is completely feasible within the game.
How and why are you assuming that? When does the Tarnished becomes max level? When does he get all the items? All of this is arbitrary.

Just add the items and weapons as Optional Equipment at worst. This seems to be a hang up you'd have with RPG characters in general rather than the Tarnished.

Yeah, some questlines counter each other. This is not unique to the Tarnished either. Composite game profiles are of no issue nor are they new.

Just add the items and weapons as Optional Equipment at worst. This seems to be a hang up you'd have with RPG characters in general rather than the Tarnished.

Yeah, some questlines counter each other. This is not unique to the Tarnished either.
This is what I’m telling… the optional equipment section is there for some reason. The default, standard Tarnished equipment is the ones that FS has shown us.

This is not related to RPG characters, it’s just that the Tarnished has more solid, concrete evidence about a canon journey than the others characters by FS.
I mean did we not already do composite profiles previously with the other player characters such as the Chosen Undead or Ashen One? Why would this be any different?
You’re just giving me more motivation to do the same with them.

This is what I’m telling… the optional equipment section is there for some reason. The default, standard Tarnished equipment is the ones that FS has shown us.

This is not related to RPG characters, it’s just that the Tarnished has more solid, concrete evidence about a canon journey than the others characters by FS.

You’re just giving me more motivation to do the same with them.
OK, regardless of what we decide, you're vastly overselling how much Fromsoft decides is a canon journey.

The Raging Wolf set is semi-iconic due to being easy to market and an identifiable figure. But; he's not the only archetype we see in the promotional material. He's not even consistently the Tarnished within any single trailer/set of images.

This feels a lot like pigeon-holing the Tarnished you have in your mind into the profile rather than just treating him like we treat any other RPG characters.

IThe Raging Wolf set is semi-iconic due to being easy to market and an identifiable figure. But; he's not the only archetype we see in the promotional material. He's not even consistently the Tarnished within any single trailer/set of images.
Now I think you’re underselling what FROM SOFTWARE decides what’s canon or not. Nothing makes the Raging Wolf set easier to market, it could be any of the sets in the game, D’s, Vyke’s, any of the starting classes, etc.

I don’t think anyone here even disagrees that the Tarnished’s canon look is with the Raging Wolf set.

Also, the Raging Wolf set IS the most consistent armor set you’ll see in the game, it appears more in trailers and has more screentime. Heck, in one of the trailers where FROM SOFTWARE showed the first cutscene with Melina, the Tarnished was using the Raging Wolf set.
This feels a lot like pigeon-holing the Tarnished you have in your mind into the profile rather than just treating him like we treat any other RPG characters.
How yall treat any other RPG character in the wiki is honestly not of my business and not relevant to Elden Ring at all. Each game is a game and we have a canon route for the Tarnished.
Because ultimately the Tarnished IS a self insert character. Not any set in stone character but a self insert that the player themself shapes.
Now answer my question. Why should we give everything to the Tarnished. Everything you said in this quoted comment means nothing.

Yeah, the game hammers that in repeatedly. You're not a set character whatsoever, you're a Tarnished of no renown. The Raging Wolf armour doesn't belong to you initially, you wrench it from Vargram's corpse. Same as most of your weapons and items.

I mean I can kinda see the point. Some of the stuff you do locks you out of certain routes, which in turn prevents you from getting certain item, weapons etc. So its not like the Tarnished can have absolutely everything. But at the same time since they're not a set character you might as well give them what they are capable of having.

Hell I can even use the same arguments as yall. Why are we using the Knight’s class set for the Ashen One’s profile, the Faaram Set for the Bearer, and WHY does the Chosen Undead has the Elite Knight set that belonged to Oscar rather than, idk, anything he uses.

"We have a canon route for the Tarnished" He doesn't even consistently become Elden Lord, what?

And I do disagree that it's his canon look. It's the player character's most iconic and recognisable look. But no more. From having marketing consistency isn't hard canon for a character with variable gender, race, and origin, that's of "no renown". And certainly not armour that belongs to a character that canonically exists separate from you.

I'm not sure how you can say you can disregard how we treat RPG characters on the site, given that's all the Tarnished is. He's no exception to that rule nor does he have anything going for him in the game proper that would say otherwise.

I dunno about you, but what we have with the game takes precedent over marketing to me and most others on this thread. It can be discussed how his tabbers will look. But saying there's a canon set Tarnished just flies in the face of the game itself.

Hell I can even use the same arguments as yall. Why are we using the Knight’s class set for the Ashen One’s profile, the Faaram Set for the Bearer, and WHY does the Chosen Undead has the Elite Knight set that belonged to Oscar rather than, idk, anything he uses.
....Are you talking about profile images? If so, dude, that's just their most recognisable look. This would go for any character with customisable appearance.

We'd use Vargram's set for the Tarnished image too if need be. Or hell, use the starter classes if we wanted to be pedantic. Not cause that's their set look but just so people who click on the page know what their looking at.

"We have a canon route for the Tarnished" He doesn't even consistently become Elden Lord, what?
When did I say that he becomes Elden Lord? I said the Tarnished has a canon route. To beat the game, you need to beat Godfrey, Gideon, Spirit Godfrey, Maliketh, Morgott, Radagon and the Elden Beast.

You also need two Rune Bearers to enter the Capital, and if you include the DLC as canon, which I’m pretty sure we are, then they can be Radahn and Mohg. But I’m sure Godrick would likely be the first since the level design of the first idk, 1 and half hours basically begs you to go there and beat him.
And I do disagree that it's his canon look. It's the player characters most iconic and recognisable look. But no more. From having marketing consistency isn't hard canon for a character with variable gender, race, origin that's of "no renown". And certainly not armour that belongs to a character that canonically exists separate from you.
....Are you talking about profile images? If so, dude, that's just their most recognisable look. This would go for any character with customisable appearance.
What the hell were you thinking then if not by the characters images. Planck I literally said that in my previous comments. The canon look of the Tarnished is the one he’s the most recognizable with, that being the Raging Wolf set. If FS and Bandai uses it as the default Tarnished look in trailers and screenshots then that’s very much what he would look like if a canon Elden Ring happened.

I mean I've seen more people use the piss pants armor in DS3 than the starter knight set, if think that's more recognizable

I think we should only give the Tarnished what he uses in official gameplay videos and screenshots by FROM SOFTWARE and Bandai. There is no way we should account for all types of weapons, spells, talismans and staffs.
Is this just for Standard Battle Equipment? Either way I feel like it’s kind of restrictive. I can understand restricting the tarnished’s ability in keys, but the tarnished can use literally everything given enough levels. Plus, I don’t think we have any sort of similar restrictions for other souls characters.

Back