• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
So, I've been thinking this over for some time, and looking at the feats of Pokémon and the Earthquake Power Chart, I believe that earthquakes in the verse should have to do with seismic energy, not radiated waves.

Reason one why I think that is the nature of the moves Earthquake and Magnitude. They do more damage if the opponent is underground, signifying that they're closer to the initial impact of the attack. Radiated waves are the things that shake the surface of the earth, so that's not going to be why. Reason two comes from Dugtrio. Dugtrio triggers huge earthquakes via digging 60 miles underground, which is relatively close to where the tectonic plates are. It's safe to say that the surface has nothing to do with that. The move Earthquake is said to trigger and Earthquake and the animation for the move nowadays is more than just shaking the surface, as it creates fault lines and whatnot and you can see what appears to be lava underneath (though that orange light from underground can be a number of things). What's more, Earthquake and Fissure (the move where the ground opens up deep) seem to have a correlation, as Pokémon Contests have them linked. Whiscash gained the ability to predict earthquakes that are explicitly stated to be real earthquakes, and it gained that ability through its own earthquake causing, showing their relation.

Why does this matter? A handful of Pokémon (like the infamous Tyranitar and the aforementioned Dugtrio) have feats of causing crazy earthquakes. Seismic energy for them would be crazy.

Either that or being underground while it's shaking simply does more damage than just standing on it. Also a possibility.

It all depends on where Tyranitar's mountain crumbling earthquakes would place them. It would need a calc. For the power of the earthquake, not the mountain destruction (for the umpteenth time).

For radiated waves. This thread would be about using the other version, because of the relation to real earthquakes.

I think Dugtrio's earthquakes would be about a 7.5, given its 60 mile radius. That's island level+. Tyranitar in the other hand...

Weekly plz read the thread. Cal's entire argument is about how Total Seismic Energy would be more appropriate here due to how the Earthquakes are produced. Whether or not he's right is up in the air though.

We summon thee, calc group members.

Also this thread is officially banned in Japanese due to containing Earthquake and Whiscash.

Something tells me that Tyranitar is gonna be a humongous outlier. Like, making Lugia look like Jigglypuff outlier.

Well, let's not apply EVERY Earthquake to that logic. Stuf like Whiscash and Tyrannitar still produces Earthquakes by sheer force and not like Dugtrio does.

Whiscash is actually the most irrefutable for real earthquakes lol.

That said, most of my evidence is about how the move Earthquake/Magnitude/Fissure in general relies on seismic energy.

You shouldn't apply how one Pokémon does the move to all other Pokémon capable of doing it. Remember that a lot of different mons can execute the same move differently.

A lot of the evidence is for the move itself rather than Dugtrio/Whiscash. The animation, the description, and the mechanics all have to do with it. Tyranitar's descriptions post earthquake about topography needing to be changed directly correlate to how actual earthquakes operate.

It just says that he does so much damage, maps must be changed. It doesn't relate it to actual Earthquakes beyond its effects.

That would mean... Large Island level Pokemon... lots of dragons in Pokemon...

Life.gif

Would this scale to any Pokemon that learn Earthquake or Magnitude, or just top dogs like Tyranitar and such?

Back