• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gojo Calc Resolution/Earthquake Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The points he brings up dont really matter unless they for sure prove Gojo is moving the tectonic plates in order to create these earthquakes
This is incorrect and a part of why this thread is up. The stated reasoning was that earthquakes originate dozens of KM underground and hence that is why seismic moment and th like is applicable, I have more than proven that wrong with actual information backed up by evidence.

Not single response has been given that has answered these contentions about the rationale behind the feats. The closest has been Klol's post which I also demonstrated was not what happened in that thread.

So please refrain from derailing with inflammatory remarks based on your opinion when they don't recall reflect the nature of this thread.

@DontTalkDT @Mr._Bambu @Executor_N0 @Therefir @Flashlight237 Your assistance in this thread is required.
If I could get a sitrep to avoid reading two pages of weeb discussion, I'd appreciate it.

I read the OP, and it basically is asking that we, pretty please, allow the use of our more generous natural earthquake calculation as opposed to just calculating the radiated waves that Earthquakes produce, on the basis that this is fiction and suspension of disbelief allows us to assume whatever we like and thusly there's no reason to not assume this feat shook the very literal tectonic plates. Is that correct, or has there been development in these two pages?

If I could get a sitrep to avoid reading two pages of weeb discussion, I'd appreciate it.

I read the OP, and it basically is asking that we, pretty please, allow the use of our more generous natural earthquake calculation as opposed to just calculating the radiated waves that Earthquakes produce, on the basis that this is fiction and suspension of disbelief allows us to assume whatever we like and thusly there's no reason to not assume this feat shook the very literal tectonic plates. Is that correct, or has there been development in these two pages?
The basis for the natural earthquake is more in line with the what is presented with the feat. Gojo is place in the Japan trench off the coast of Japan in the subduction zone. Gojo in the prison realm has been directly placed in the subduction zone, with the subduction zone being the the point that the tectonic plates converge and one subducts down. You can see from these diagrams. Gojo has placed directly in/between the the plates in that zone. The Japan Trench is one main causes for the earthquakes in Japan, with seismic activity coming in Japan occurring along the subduction zone. There is also this source that talks about the relationship of earthquakes and subduction zone and that earthquakes can occur less than 25km below. There is also this video that explains earthquakes in Japan. Essentially:

-The feat is a earthquake.
-Gojo causes through his breaking out of the Prison Realm.
-The area that Gojo was placed is highly related to the earthquakes of Japan.
-He is placed in between in the tectonic plates of the subduction zone, the area that tectonic plates converge and subduct.

To me it seems pretty clear cut that the earthquake would have been caused by Gojo interacting with the tectonic plates when breaking out of the prison realm. Originally there was an argument about how shallow for it to be a natural earthquake, however, these dataset lists how listings of natural real world earthquakes that have happened in areas just as shallow. The feat happens in 221.

The basis for the natural earthquake is more in line with the what is presented with the feat. Gojo is place in the Japan trench off the coast of Japan in the subduction zone. Gojo in the prison realm has been directly placed in the subduction zone, with the subduction zone being the the point that the tectonic plates converge and one subducts down. You can see from these diagrams. Gojo has placed directly in/between the the plates in that zone. The Japan Trench is one main causes for the earthquakes in Japan, with seismic activity coming in Japan occurring along the subduction zone. There is also this source that talks about the relationship of earthquakes and subduction zone and that earthquakes can occur less than 25km below. There is also this video that explains earthquakes in Japan. Essentially:

-The feat is a earthquake.
-Gojo causes through his breaking out of the Prison Realm.
-The area that Gojo was placed is highly related to the earthquakes of Japan.
-He is placed in between in the tectonic plates of the subduction zone, the area that tectonic plates converge and subduct.

To me it seems pretty clear cut that the earthquake would have been caused by Gojo interacting with the tectonic plates when breaking out of the prison realm. Originally there was an argument about how shallow for it to be a natural earthquake, however, these dataset lists how listings of natural real world earthquakes that have happened in areas just as shallow. The feat happens in 221.
@PowerToScale the OP isn't arguing about it being in the subduction zone. That's a whole different argument that they never agreed with.

You're saying "it's in the subduction zone, it had to manipulate the tectonic plates"
He's saying "it shouldn't have to manipulate the tectonic plates to use total seismic moment"

I would heartily disagree with the OP's position on the basis of Occam's Razor alone- it takes requires of us to assume that there are merely vibrations rather than outright tectonic shifts. Suspension of disbelief is hardly a dissuading factor to that notion.

PowerToScale's position may hold an implication here, but I don't think it's a strong enough implication if that's all there is to it. Unless there's more than these summaries, list me in the disagree column, please.

@PowerToScale the OP isn't arguing about it being in the subduction zone. That's a whole different argument that they never agreed with.

You're saying "it's in the subduction zone, it had to manipulate the tectonic plates"
He's saying "it shouldn't have to manipulate the tectonic plates to use total seismic moment"
I understand that, however, I am providing the context and information relating to the feat itself. So it isn't purely judged on the basis "This feat should be done via Seismic energy" , but that "regardless of that argument, the feat in itself heavily indicates it do be done through its context".

PowerToScale's position may hold an implication here, but I don't think it's a strong enough implication if that's all there is to it. Unless there's more than these summaries, list me in the disagree column, please.
Fair enough, what more would there be needed to say that that he did interact/create an earthquake via the tectonic plates? From what I've seen all other calcs relating to tectonic plates have direct statements, and there isn't a nuanced case like this. So would direct statements be the only way to use the Seismic Formula then?

Fair enough, what more would there be needed to say that that he did interact/create an earthquake via the tectonic plates? From what I've seen all other calcs relating to tectonic plates have direct statements, and there isn't a nuanced case like this. So would direct statements be the only way to use the Seismic Formula then?
Quite frankly, I'd want explicit confirmation that the plates moved (or something equivalent). Direct statements have precedent for sufficing (I recall Superman being stated to physically move the plates in a newspaper being accepted somewhere or other, for example).

Quite frankly, I'd want explicit confirmation that the plates moved (or something equivalent). Direct statements have precedent for sufficing (I recall Superman being stated to physically move the plates in a newspaper being accepted somewhere or other, for example).
Okay then, would a possible as well given as you also said it "holds an implication". This also wouldn't cause any issues as only two characters would scale (with the 3 being very top of the verses by a huge margin). Essentially:

Gojo: X level (Reasoning for current Level), possible 6-C (Implied to have created an earthquake through interacting with the tectonic plates when escaping the subduction zone).

While I agree that it is possible that you're right, we do not hand out the "possibly" rating for possibilities unless they surpass a certain threshold of reliability. Based solely on what I've seen here, so far, I do not think that this passes that threshold in my estimation.

I think I’ll disagree with the OP’s premise for the same reasons as Mr. Bambu and KLOL. Suspension of disbelief really doesn’t seem like a convincing reason to start using unsupported methods to me.

Hello Mr. Bambu, my specific concerns were better outlined in these posts [1] [2], since the OP was trying to kill two birds with one stone.

The major issue presented is this being the only rationale I have found for natural earthquakes only scaling if occurring hundreds of KMs underground.

"As for it being natural or not, the Japan Trench is only 8020 meters deep, and natural earthquakes occur hundreds of kilometers underground, far below the trench itself, it being the place where the tectonic plates meet doesn't mean causing an earthquake from there would make it natural."
Based on the IRL example I gave and other evidence going against this notion, it does appear the rationale for earthquake feats is not quite in line with the evidence of how Earthquakes and their measurements work IRL. The Northridge Earthquake, for instance, had a hypocenter of only 18km, yet still had a large magnitude calculated for its seismography.

No, I'm just rather busy these days and didn't see your message (or, if I did, I moved to another tab without remembering to come back).

Your concerns still don't really make sense as a reason to massively upscale how we currently treat earthquakes. Fictional earthquakes not acting totally 1:1 in-line with how IRL earthquakes doesn't quite explain why you feel we ought to assume fictional shaking feats to be moving the actual physical tectonic plates rather than just causing similar radiated waves (unless specified otherwise). Nothing you've presented really supports that notion. Dunno what else to tell you, really.

No, I'm just rather busy these days and didn't see your message (or, if I did, I moved to another tab without remembering to come back).

Your concerns still don't really make sense as a reason to massively upscale how we currently treat earthquakes. Fictional earthquakes not acting totally 1:1 in-line with how IRL earthquakes doesn't quite explain why you feel we ought to assume fictional shaking feats to be moving the actual physical tectonic plates rather than just causing similar radiated waves (unless specified otherwise). Nothing you've presented really supports that notion. Dunno what else to tell you, really.
Sometimes, fictional earthquakes simply generate radiated waves that can cause similar shaking effects, while other times, fictional earthquakes seem to genuinely move the tectonic plates themselves.

Sometimes, fictional earthquakes simply generate radiated waves that can cause similar shaking effects, while other times, fictional earthquakes seem to genuinely move the tectonic plates themselves.
This thread was concluded 3 months ago

as far i read this, i think some points were missing like gojos power shifting the world under prison realm.

his existence shifted the balance of power towards sorcerers, to say that he single-handedly shifted the whole world just by being born is too hyperbolic or impressive at the same time.

The earthquake in the Prison Realm was caused by the barriers Kenjaku placed there. While Gojo's death may have an impact on the balance of power, it's unlikely to have anything to do with tectonic plates shifting.
https://img.spoilerhat.com/img/?url...*****.com/file/CDN-M-A-N/jjk_221_gain_009.png

Just like an earthquake, a shift in power is technically a shift in the world. But when we refer to tectonic plates shifting, it's a physical phenomenon. So, while Gojo's birth and return do represent a shift in balance, they would not physically change how tectonic plates shift.

in the most blunt way possible:
what are you talking about
as Sun said, this revision has since been concluded (and should have been closed to be honest)
if you have comments to make you would be better off making a NEW CRT and tackling arguments and such there rather than necro-ing this thread

in the most blunt way possible:
what are you talking about
as Sun said, this revision has since been concluded (and should have been closed to be honest)
if you have comments to make you would be better off making a NEW CRT and tackling arguments and such there rather than necro-ing this thread
ik it bruh, i just replied from 3 months ago

This thread was not 'officially' concluded, but it'd still be more appropriate for any further contentions about this topic to be handled in a new CRT. So I will close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back