• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Earthquake magnitude to trigger Volcanic Eruptions

I am trying to calculate an earthquake feat that was caused by character's battle that was strong enough to reach all the way from Norway to Eastern China, (roughly 7900 km in radius), the earthquake is strong enough to trigger floods (breaking dams) and trigger volcanic eruptions, I want to know what the magnitude for the earthquake to be in china.

Nevermind, I am using the hawaiian earthquake as a reference to the volcanic eruption (6.5), so the equation would be this

log(base10)500000+3log(base10)[8*861.2]-2.92, how do I plug that into the calculator?

I am using this equation from the Whitebeard Calc .

In Whitebeard calc, the result of the calc said 13.26 or 1.17 Petatons, what does that mean?

I added topics so maybe a calc group member sees this, though you should try and message them about the thread.

Hope you have your question answered!

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
I added topics so maybe a calc group member sees this, though you should try and message them about the thread.
Hope you have your question answered!
Thank you, I will get on that

WeeklyBattles said:
An earthquake with a radius that big would easily be Magnitude 8 maybe 9
ok, thanks, so with that I got 10000000mm

applying that would be this:

log(base10)10000000+3log(base10)[8*861.2]-2.92

CNBA3 said:
In Whitebeard calc, the result of the calc said 13.26 or 1.17 Petatons, what does that mean?
When you say Petatons, do you mean Petatons of TNT or Petatons of force?

Because 1.17 Petatons of TNT is Continent level+.

When you say Petatons, do you mean Petatons of TNT or Petatons of force?

Because 1.17 Petatons of TNT is Continent level+.

That is what I am trying to understand, it doesn't really specify, when NF says petatons they mean small continent in which ever case that is

Well we aren't NF. We don't have a Small Continent level, if I recall correctly.

I think it's because we used to have similar Tier 6 stuff to NF, but at some point we went through a big Tier 6 revision.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
Well we aren't NF. We don't have a Small Continent level, if I recall correctly.
I think it's because we used to have similar Tier 6 stuff to NF, but at some point we went through a big Tier 6 revision.
Ok, well I guess it is continent level, but I still do not know why the result on the calc says 13.26 or 1.17 petatons, unless there is something else to it, when i did the standard calc on the thread, it says the former, but they went with the latter for some reason.

Back