• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DOOM Speed Re-Wording

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
Short and simple, the reasonings for infinite speed in the verse seem to come from this character, which...

And when you look the statement...

The very first creations molded from the void in Urdak. Seraphs are bound to the Father's will. The angelic creatures helped build the Father's works, assisted his research, and once winged through creation to do the Father's bidding. After the Battle of Isonkast, the Father stripped them of their wings.

Not only it's quite vague on how much they traveled to begin with, we don't grant infinite speed just because a space is infinite, as a distance traveled within a infinite universe isn't inherently infinite, you can even see that with how we don't rate every single character in an High 3-A verse or above as infinitely fast just by moving within that infinite universe.

Last edited:
damn clickbait, anyway

i'm pretty sure you can interpret the statement as, they flied through creation as the creation here mean literal entire multiverse, not just distance between some universes

The page currently just mentions "universe", and given that the cosmology blog makes a clear difference between the "regular" universe and bigger cosmological structures, at best that'd require a rewording on the page.

Either way, traveling across qualitatively superior 4-Ds, 5-Ds or whatever structures isn't inherent proof of infinite speed either for similar reasons outlined in the OP and this

Either way, traveling across qualitatively superior 4-Ds, 5-Ds or whatever structures isn't inherent proof of infinite speed either for similar reasons outlined in the OP and this
i mean, creation in contexts here is refering to the entire multiverse, which is 2-A, you can see in Firestorm blog, winged through creation mean they flied through the entire 2-A multiverse

Range: Extended Melee Range (Is three meters tall), unknown with Telekinesis. Far higher with Demonic Crucible | Standard Melee Range physically, unknown with powers | Standard Melee Range, Tens of Meters with powers
This heavily implies this is in a 3D scale, and so it wouldn't be valid per what's said in the OP, or may require some editing too, I guess.

AFAIK, yeah.

Although a mod can correct me or something on that regard, it's not like i particularly know this verse, after all.

Also, as a broad reminder, infinite speed has high standards, it has to fit narratively without it raising plot holes when scaled to other characters, as no cinematic timing would make something that happens in an instant not happen that quickly if that was the case.

Also, as a broad reminder, infinite speed has high standards, it has to fit narratively without it raising plot holes when scaled to other characters, as no cinematic timing would make something that happens in an instant not happen that quickly if that was the case.
Okay. Name an instance where the wing stuff is contradicted outside of gameplay (which is from Doomguy's perspective anyway).

When it comes to scaling such speed to other attacks or characters a high amount of scrutiny is necessary. Often these speeds don't scale to any regular attack or other characters. Fictions tend to prove this fact by the attacks and/or movement of characters not starting and finishing simultanously, even if the characters are moving a finite distance, despite the fact that this should be the case for infinitely fast characters. Generally, to scale such speed feats to characters or other attacks the verse needs to provide solid evidence for it and consistently portray the character/attack and those that scale as moving that fast.

And all of that just from a single feat? Ehh... I'm not a fan.

How is this not solid evidence, Bob? Someone is travelling with wings across a whole multiverse, and there are infinite space-time continuums and each of them are infinite in size, travelling through two universes gives infinite speed?

I don't get the issue here, but I disagree with downgrade, the current needs rewording.

Oh, when you put it like that it sounds more appropiate, but I'd want to also evaluate it's consistency while we're on that, high standards and all of that.

Evaluating the cosmology is a bit different topic, but if it is accepted, I am unsure of what you want to revise exactly? Its validity? Seems a bit different topic to current thread's premise.

Oh, you are asking for a possibility of anti-feats in question? Since this is a bit, your burden to prove if they exist any.

Okay, can you please edit the page accordingly? I'm not into the verse, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back