• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deleting inactive and banned members from verse page lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKerf

He/Him
So, since the inactive and banned members are still in the lists of supporters/opponents/neutral/knowledge, it gets quite bothering to find the ones who can actually help. Ant proposed to delete from these lists the profiles of those that haven't visited for more than a year. What do you think, everyone?

I will place a link to this in the highlights thread.

I mean, I don't exactly oppose this. But someone will have to manually go through every single verse page and the knowledgeable member's list and go through each individual profile and remove them. I don't think anyone has the time, or willingness, to do it. If someone's going to dedicate themselves voluntarily, go for it. Otherwise it should be one of those over time things, if you happen to see someone like that to remove them.

I agree that all banned users should have their names removed from any Supporters/Opponents/Neutral and Knowledgable members lists. As for long term inactivity, I'd say it depends how long, unless of of their past input has been significant. Then maybe looking through contributions might have some helpful input. Though, Fandom movement might make those irrelevant thus no longer worthy.

Well, if this gets accepted, I'll remove the banned members from the KML page and from any verse page I look at having them.

I won't touch the inactive people just in casé.

The Calaca said:
Same with the Knowledgeable Members list, which has many users that have been out of the wiki for too long.
This is also a good idea.

Ogbunabali said:
I mean, I don't exactly oppose this. But someone will have to manually go through every single verse page and the knowledgeable member's list and go through each individual profile and remove them. I don't think anyone has the time, or willingness, to do it. If someone's going to dedicate themselves voluntarily, go for it. Otherwise it should be one of those over time things, if you happen to see someone like that to remove them.
Good point, but if 10 or more reliable members each devote a few hours to this, I think that they could get quite a bit done.

However, it is important that they check how old the latest contributions are for each listed member. People are listed as inactive after just being away for a few months. 1 year should be a minimum.

Damage3245 said:
I think that there should be some transparency about who is being removed and for what reason.

There should be some kind of thread that a staff member can post to whenever they remove someone from the verse page list.
I think that this would likely be too inefficient, but only trusted and experienced members should probably be involved in the project.

@Antvasima; it would be more inefficient than just deleting them outright and never mentioning it, but I think it's important to be transparent with who is being removed, and it wouldn't take that much effort for someone to leave a quick post like "Removing user X from verses W, Y and Z for being banned."

@Damage

I suppose that is a good point.

LordGriffin1000 said:
If there permanently banned or have been inactive for so long then it seems fine to remove them.
Yes, permanent bans is probably a better requirement.

Should a user stumble across an inactive individual, you can simply Ctrl + F for their name in the Knowledgeable Members List and see if they have left themselves on any verses there.

Also yes, it should be noted why you are removing them, but surely you can do this in your edit summary.

I'm not sure if we necessarily need a whole thread for it, but I'm not opposed to the idea.

I actually was planning on bringing this up for the longest time, but only for the knowledgeable members list. Now that I see the rest I'm smacking myself for not thinking of involving the other lists as well.

Obviously I agree with the OP.

If this is something we plan to take on immediately, I can assist when I return from work tonight.

It shouldn't take too long if we have all the helping hands we can get.

Simply labeling a user as inactive in the lists when they aren't banned could work as well, granted that just because they aren't on that doesn't discount their knowledge on the verse.

Some members can also be inactive but can be reached out to, if they have offered the means to or someone has the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back