• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Rating Revamp Project (Why 4-B is wrong whether or not it's an upgrade or downgrade)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something that has been brought up before, but was never actually properly addressed, so I'm going to have to do that now.

The Solar System Level ratings that we currently give to DC are not very good. As it currently stands, there are a few reasons for this.

Reason #1: Our Two Calcs

The two calculations that give DC this rating... well, first of all, that's an issue in itself. For characters that are supposedly Solar System Level most consistently, according to the staff in charge of managing the pages, they only have two feats calculated at this level: Pushing away the Sun and the Infinite Mass Punch. That's two feats, across almost 90 years of comics now, that we use to justify scaling for every single page.

1) Pushing Away The Solar System

This feat was performed by Superman, as calced by @The_real_cal_howard.

The issue here, of course, is that the calculation is false. FanofRPGs recalculated the feat to be within the exatons and zettatons range, something which was placed in the comments of the blog, as well as on her own analyzing Superman's various feats. While I have a great littany of problems with that blog in general, the fact is that this isn't a valid Solar System level feat.

2) Infinite Mass Punch

This ability is considered to be a very special attack from speedsters (Who as of recent revisions literally vary anywhere from Tier 8 to Tier 1) that doesn't scale to Physicality under most circumstances, and as it stands now this is literally the only other feat that they have for 4-B. I think scaling the entire verse to the hardest Wally has ever hit is kind of ridiculous and I shouldn't need to explain why this is our standard for the entire verse.

Now with all this said, they COULD still be 4-B without it, but...

Reason #2: Uncalced Feats

ALMOST ALL OF THE DAMN FEATS AREN'T CALCULATED.

Like, look at Superman's page.

(Contained a mini-black hole that was about to destroy the entire solar system.[5] Took attacks from the Void Hound, which had previously destroyed ten star systems during a test-drive.[6] He withstood an explosion at a point-blank range equivalent to 50 Keplar Supernovas while severely weakened by red sun radiation. Tanked multiple red solar radiation blasts from a Sun-Eater, which was capable of destroying entire suns and star systems)

Nothing here has any calculations associated with it, and from the actual justifications listed in the scans, many of these are far lower. The Sun-Eater feat is the most egregious one considering that it is never actually stated to destroy star systems, just consume suns. The Void Hound is the same; the method of destruction is never stated, only that "Ten systems died", which could mean anything from 4-C to 4-A.

If 4-B is to stay, these feats need to be evaluated and indexed, or thrown out if they aren't usable. People also need to find more feats for DC characters, as literally all they currently have on the site are 9-A and 4-B. I'd really like the verse to have accurate tiering with proper feats to back it up; I don't particularly care what the actual results of this end up being, be it a downgrade or an upgrade, but something needs to be done about it.

Well the Kepler feat is 50% 4-B but I agree, we need to look and calc several more feats, relying on only 2 I'd dumb.

Yeah, this definitely makes sense. I always sort of wondered why a **** ton of DC characters were 4-B for seemingly no reason.

@Amelia_Lonelyheart has dilligently been working to help us fix our DC Comics statistics lately by finding and calculating useful feats for various different characters.

I would appreciate if others could help her out by finding useful feats for her to calculate.

Anyway, from what I recall, Hal Jordan/Green Lantern was explicitly portrayed as High 4-C/supernova level in terms of Joules output by Grant Morrison in his recent comic book run (as in, the amount of Joules was stated outright), and Superman is usually portrayed as roughly comparable.

I don't think the mini-black hole feat would be Solar System level, but i dunno. it could in theory destroy the solar system by destabilizing gravity in the sol system i guess? anyways, from the calcs i seen like 2 meter black holes were dwarf star level.

I just wanted to comment this. I don't read up on DC Comics

Anyway, from what I recall, Hal Jordan/Green Lantern was explicitly portrayed as High 4-C/supernova level in terms of Joules output by Grant Morrison in his recent comic book run (as in, the amount of Joules was stated outright), and Superman is usually portrayed as roughly comparable.
Is there anyone else who would scale to that?

The only valid one (from superman justifications) was the Kepler Explosion feat, and even then he was close to it, but not close enough to where he was hit by the full blast, only portions.

I agree that unless new feats are shown, 4-B definitely isn't a good tier to stick with.

Anyways, in terms of feats that could possibly be calced, in Green Lantern #166/167, Kyle Rayner contains a pseudo-black hole/Quantum Singularity which would destroy a star/solar system (though the means aren't really known). Over a year ago, Fan told me it was possible to calc, but it was annoying to do, so he didn't end up doing it. Not sure if it's actually useable, or if it's been calc'd by someone else in the meantime, but it's the only feat I remember off the top of my head.

I never understood why everyone and their grandma was 4-B at DC, so the feats definitely needs to be redone.

Imo, the manor lanterns are fine at 4B, so we can leave the aside for now. They have their own solar system feats (Johns solar system reaction and HAL who scales from Orion). And Kyle has his own feats.

Others definitely needs recalcs.

image0.jpg
I believe there’s stuff pointing towards a Variable Superman, like Lex Luthor determining his solar energy levels correlate to his emotional state and increase the more stress he is under. We can hypothetically give Superman a Tier 5 low-end so absolutely everyone won’t be 4-B, like how we handle Marvel.

(Source: Adventures of Superman #636)

Oh, I forgot about John recreating the Solar System. Yeah that probably still stands. Couldn't we also use the scale of Post-Crisis > start of Rebirth Superman (stated by Clark himself) > New 52 (stated by Swamp Thing)? Or do we not scale between continuities like that?

Also, the proposal of a variable tier seems fine for Superman, but for other we might need to try finding other reasons (unless we just go with the holding back thing, but iirc that was rejected in the past).

Speaking frankly, I don't agree with how John's solar system creation is treated on this wiki. He's not creating a space big enough to create a solar system, only the individual planets and sun. Even putting all those together wouldn't be 4-B. If we went by that logic anyway, his normal constructs would be much lower. The exceeding of the ring's capacity came from the size and volume of things he was creating rather than the actual potency of it IMO

I mean if we're finally gonna go through variable tier can be finally be open to making Post-Crisis Superman Tier 2?

I don't think the mini-black hole feat would be Solar System level, but i dunno. it could in theory destroy the solar system by destabilizing gravity in the sol system i guess? anyways, from the calcs i seen like 2 meter black holes were dwarf star level.

I just wanted to comment this. I don't read up on DC Comics
The black hole was said to be the size of a "speck of a dust" by Atom.
JLA_1997_-_JLA_1997_77_-_10.jpg

Yes, because if it escapes the magnetic field it will begin to absorb the matters in its surrounding.

Definitely agree that the current 4-B justifications are really shaky and could probably be discarded for better ones should they be available.

Well, I agree with this, but the pain of editing all of the profiles will be legendary! Seriously, I do not envy the people who would take up the task.

Can we do this later we have a DC revision upcoming here to address 4-B scaling
I am fine with this. Please save all of the useful scans and issue references from above first though, so they can be used by you and Amelia later.

And I believe holding back shouldn't be rejected. It's the biggest part of Superman and vital to his feats.
I definitely think Supes holding back shouldn’t be rejected but idk about the 5-A, 4-B at peak thing. It kinda assumes these characters always vary arbitrarily between those two specific levels and it makes it a headache with actual scaling.

Plus it just looks gross imo

I just think we should scale folks like Diana to their own feats and we see tons of feats for the Herald tiers out there (Diana has no less then three planetary feats iirc and there’s more for the Lanterns)

Characters like Darkseid avatars (or Desaad just cosplaying) and potentially Brainic (certain models at least) could pretty easily scale to Supes going all out but that definitely would extend to a very limited number of characters (I think Ares killed him in an alternate timeline so him and Zeus could scale)

There’s also the era proposal but I have no idea if we’re even doing that at this point
I’m fixing the RMP (relativistic mass punch) scaling later, it still works. If you want I can do it here?
could be good, might well be handy since Supes tiers would likely upscale and I believe Diana tanked a few from Thawne
Yes, because if it escapes the magnetic field it will begin to absorb the matters in its surrounding.
i also think the black hole was expanding exponentially so it could theoretically reach 4-B power with enough time, just that it didn’t yet

There’s definitely a lot of feats that we’ve just eye balled at 4-B without thinking in depth tho

Last edited:
could be good, might well be handy since Supes would likely upscale and I believe Diana tanked a few from Thawne
Exactly and it was Hunter actually that Diana fought. We have no exact value for Hunter's AP though since "at lightspeed" is probably an overestimation considering he likely isn't exempt from the "punch a hole in the universe" thingy, but the way the scaling works this isn't a big issue since we know he was using relativistic attacks. There's also Flashpoint Diana tanking a "kick with the relativistic mass of a small moon" during Convergence, if that's canon.

Exactly and it was Hunter actually that Diana fought. We have no exact value for Hunter's AP though since "at lightspeed" is probably an overestimation considering he likely isn't exempt from the "punch a hole in the universe" thingy, but the way the scaling works this isn't a big issue since we know he was using relativistic attacks.
I always get confused with Zolomon, Thawne and Zoom

But yeah that could make sense and I believe there’s a good feat for Supergirl and Stargirl tanking a black hole out there

Edit: Stargirl not Stargirl

Last edited:
So should we close this thread and wait for Amelia's and Impress' revisions project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back