• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cthulhu mythos Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, saying the universes aren't themselves infinite dimensional is reaching. Them also having indefinite dimensions isn't really a contradiction since the latter is observation and research that a human wouldn't be able to fully prove while the other is confirmation via an omniscient being.

The veil here is the veil in the sense of "veil of reality"
Like in Islam, where reality is just a projection of Allah that is separated by a veil (Al-Hijab). If the veils are revealed, the entire reality (Al-Alam) will be burned by his light (Nurullah).
I'mma be real with you chief.

I doubt mfin H.P "Black man racial slur" cat Lovecraft.... is using Muslim theological aspects in his works. Also again, "Beyond the Veil" is just a very common phrase.

I think taking a moment and reading the book front to back without scaling it in anyway would do a lot of people good. Scaler brain rot worries me greatly.

I doubt mfin H.P "Black man racial slur" cat Lovecraft.... is using Muslim theological aspects in his works. Also again, "Beyond the Veil" is just a very common phrase.

I think taking a moment and reading the book front to back without scaling it in anyway would do a lot of people good. Scaler brain rot worries me greatly.
Actually, Lovecraft was HEAVILY inspired by Muslim beliefs and Religion.

Hell, he was even inspired by the books like, "The Thousand and One Nights".

The whole "History of the necronomicon" is full of references to Muslim beliefs.

Tbh, Udl is right in that reading or experiencing a work of fiction without constantly scaling it helps a lot.

Bro, you are talking to his fans right now, I even read Lovecraft without knowing VS debates before.

And yes, Lovecraft is very much inspired by Islam theology. Just look at the beast that carries seven dimensions in Islam and his similarity with Lovecraft gods. As a Muslim and Tasawuf student, I know what the context of "Beyond the veil" Lovecraft means.

As Gasper stated above.

Hell, he was even inspired by the books like, "The Thousand and One Nights".

The whole "History of the necronomicon" is full of references to Muslim beliefs.
Hell, even Umr At-Tawil literally means "The long-aged or ancient (or it can even mean the age of unknown as Ta'wil means the unknown truth and quality which are known only to God or just long as Thowil)" in Arabic.

Ah ah, yeah... inspired...

Him reading 1,001 Nights when he was five definitely isn't the introduction to Muslim theology that you think it is.

Thousand and One Nights features very, very little Muslim theology and is mostly centred around the Arabic stories during the Islamic Golden Age.

Essentially, what you're arguing is the same as someone reading Record of Ragnarok and then claiming things they worked on decades after the fact must be inspired by Buddhist theology.

Bro...

History of the Necronomicon was absurdly racist, pulling on every Western trope about the Middle East with Exoticism and Orientalism.

It's as full as references to Muslim 'beliefs' as Mein Kampf is to Jewish beliefs in 1920s Germany

Thousand and One Nights features very, very little Muslim theology and is mostly centred around the Arabic stories during the Islamic Golden Age.
Actually, if you read it. It contains A LOT, of Muslim theology. This is speaking from a Muslim perspective lol.
History of the Necronomicon was absurdly racist, pulling on every Western trope about the Middle East with Exoticism and Orientalism.

It's as full as references to Muslim 'beliefs' as Mein Kampf is to Jewish beliefs in 1920s Germany
I really want to laugh very hard as a Muslim and Scholar that learned in the Middle East before.

Some of them are actually on spot. Not just western tropes about Exoticism and Orientalism (no seriously, why did you think?).

Ah ah, yeah... inspired...

Him reading 1,001 Nights when he was five definitely isn't the introduction to Muslim theology that you think it is.

Essentially, what you're arguing is the same as someone reading Record of Ragnarok and then claiming things they worked on decades after the fact must be inspired by Buddhist theology.
No not really, "hell he was even" this dosen't mean he was only inspired by The Thousand and One Nights.
Bro...

This dosen't really have to do with anything?

Bro, you are talking to his fans right now, I even read Lovecraft without knowing VS debates before.

And yes, Lovecraft is very much inspired by Islam theology. Just look at the beast that carries seven dimensions in Islam and his similarity with Lovecraft gods. As a Muslim and Tasawuf student, I know what the context of "Beyond the veil" Lovecraft means.

As Gasper stated above.
And I genuinely don't buy it.

In fact, being a Muslim, you are going to be more likely to read Muslim Theology into Lovecraft's work.

I'm leaning more on what would be common vernacular.

Actually, if you read it. It contains A LOT, of Muslim theology. This is speaking from a Muslim perspective lol.
No, that's not what that means. You can have references and discussions about Muslim people and existences and even touch on themes without it being a deep dive into Muslim theology.

There's a reason why it's a branch of research and you don't just learn it from 1 book which is a collection of fables and stories from the Islamic Golden Age.

Journey to the West is such a book. It has themes and touches upon topics, but it isn't a theological book. Reading Journey to the West, no matter what the people on here might think, does not make you an expert or even knowledgeable on Buddhist or Daoist theology.

I really want to laugh very hard as a Muslim and Scholar that learned in the Middle East before.

Some of them are actually on spot. Not just western tropes about Exoticism and Orientalism (no seriously, why did you think?).
This isn't even just my opinion, this is the opinion of academics on the topic who've reviewed Lovecraft's work, many amongst them being Muslim critics and academics who view the work as obscenely racist.

Constantly referring back to you being a Muslim is absolutely nothing to do with this, this is literally just trying to pull rank.

I can likewise, as a Buddhist, read a lot of Buddhist themes into Lovecraft's work, because Humans are pattern seeking animals, but you're reading depression into the blue curtains when they're just blue curtains.
No not really, "hell he was even" this dosen't mean he was only inspired by The Thousand and One Nights.
This dosen't really have to do with anything?
Yes, it does.

Because you're making out indirectly that Lovecraft was some scholar of Muslim theology and that because he read 1 Arabic book when he was 5 that he must know so much about Muslim theology, enough to know about vague references to deeper Muslim themes when the dude held racist beliefs about the Middle East.

To then claim that "Beyond the Veil" is some genuine reference to Muslim theology, to a term so vague and obscure I can't find many things even discussing it, even when I look through Muslim theological websites with discourses on the topic.

To claim that rather than Lovecraft using common vernacular, he's referring to some obscure Muslim theme about God pulling back the veil of light and him doing so would scorch everything he sees is a stretch even Mr. Fantastic cannot make
Either way, we should stop derailing.
It's not derailing, because the topic is discourse on the veracity of the Veil even being a tier thing.

While you agreed he probably isn't referring to anything along the lines of tiering stuff, the reasoning behind it should be made clear for readers.

It's not derailing, because the topic is discourse on the veracity of the Veil even being a tier thing.

While you agreed he probably isn't referring to anything along the lines of tiering stuff, the reasoning behind it should be made clear for readers.
And i still do agree with you. The Veil can have multiple different interpretations from the two quotes but the safest is what you said.

I can't find many things even discussing it, even when I look through Muslim theological websites with discourses on the topic.
This is discussed many times in sheikh Al-Qadir Jaelani's (The Islamic king of saints) Kitab, don't search VEIL as English, search Al-Hijab in Islam theology. And many of his students also have Kitab discussed this, one of the greatest scholar of Islam Al-Ghazali in Ihya Ulumuddin precisely tell what Al-Hijab is.

And I genuinely don't buy it.

In fact, being a Muslim, you are going to be more likely to read Muslim Theology into Lovecraft's work.

I'm leaning more on what would be common vernacular.
Lol, he using many Islamic terminology.
This isn't even just my opinion, this is the opinion of academics on the topic who've reviewed Lovecraft's work.

Constantly referring back to you being a Muslim is absolutely nothing to do with this, this is literally just trying to pull rank.

I can likewise, as a Buddhist, read a lot of Buddhist themes into Lovecraft's work, because Humans are pattern seeking animals, but you're reading depression into the blue curtains when they're just blue curtains.
Who said that Lovecraft only inspired by Islam alone?

This feels rather tangential. Can it actually be proven within the work itself that this Veil is an actual cosmological level of existence?

حِجَابُهُ النُّورُ لَوْ كَشَفَهُ لَأَحْرَقَتْ سُبُحَاتُ وَجْهِهِ مَا انْتَهَى إِلَيْهِ بَصَرُهُ مِنْ خَلْقِهِ
"The barrier (Veil) of Allah is indeed Light. If Allah uncovers this veil, then the Light of Allah's face will burn every creature that His sight reaches."
Syarh An-Nawawi ‘ala Muslim 3/14
([8]) H.R. Muslim no. 179

And i still do agree with you. The Veil can have multiple different interpretations from the two quotes but the safest is what you said.
Indeed, that's what I'm getting at.

This is discussed many times in sheikh Al-Qadir Jaelani's (The Islamic king of saints) Kitab, don't search VEIL as English, search Al-Hijab in Islam theology. And many of his students also have Kitab discussed this, one of the greatest scholar of Islam Al-Ghazali in Ihya Ulumuddin precisely tell what Al-Hijab is.
I searched both terms, Al-Hijab and Nurullah/Noorullah/Norullah/Nourullah.

I only found the post you posted afterwards as the only citation, I couldn't find much theological discussion on the Light of God like other Theological traditions do.

Interestingly, This is what i found.
Haeckelian monism doesn't really have anything to do with Islamic theology, in fact, it's kinda anti-spiritualism.

Haeckelian monism posits that all of nature, including both living and non-living things, can be explained by a single substance and a single set of physical laws. According to Haeckel, this substance is protoplasm, a complex mixture of organic compounds that makes up the living matter of cells. He believed that protoplasm was the only substance that exhibited the characteristics of life, and that it formed the basis of all living organisms.

As for the rest of the page, I can't find anything which indicates much.

Haeckelian monism doesn't really have anything to do with Islamic theology, in fact, it's kinda anti-spiritualism.

Haeckelian monism posits that all of nature, including both living and non-living things, can be explained by a single substance and a single set of physical laws. According to Haeckel, this substance is protoplasm, a complex mixture of organic compounds that makes up the living matter of cells. He believed that protoplasm was the only substance that exhibited the characteristics of life, and that it formed the basis of all living organisms.

Read the left page lol, not the marked ones.

I only found the post you posted afterwards as the only citation, I couldn't find much theological discussion on the Light of God like other Theological traditions do.
Because not many of English-speaking Muslims embarked on the path of tasawuf lol. Many of them in arabs or Indonesia, or even 1001 night story. No I'm not joking.

Indeed, that's what I'm getting at.

I searched both terms, Al-Hijab and Nurullah/Noorullah/Norullah/Nourullah.

No, look at the other page. I said ignore that. It mentions the veil. Haeckelian monism is referencing Yog Sothoth from through the gates of the silver key so it dosen't have anything to do with this.

On a different note, why is the Ultimate Gate a different level compared to the Ultimate Void? Shouldn't they be the same level? It's like saying that the incalculably denser barrier between the endless vacua and the Court of Azathoth are different levels of the cosmology.

On a different note, why is the Ultimate Gate a different level compared to the Ultimate Void? Shouldn't they be the same level? It's like saying that the incalculably denser barrier between the endless vacua and the Court of Azathoth are different levels of the cosmology.
No? Why would they be on the same level?
The Ultimate void is the realm of the archetypes which hold all of existence at their will.

Azathoth's court and incalculably denser vacua are transended of each other.
The vacua is still part of the Dreamlands but Ultimate Chaos is outside of dreams as a whole.

No? Why would they be on the same level?
The Ultimate void is the realm of the archetypes which hold all of existence at their will.

Azathoth's court and incalculably denser vacua are transended of each other.
The vacua is still part of the Dreamlands but Ultimate Chaos is outside of dreams as a whole.
Breaking through the barrier that seperates the vacua and the Ultimate Chaos shouldn't mean that the barrier and the outside realm the endless vacua are different realms of existence. In fact, Hypnos' current profile says that he eventually became High 1-A because he broke the barrier, meaning he has the power to breach into the Ultimate Chaos, but is inferior to Outer Gods.

Breaking through the barrier that seperates the vacua and the Ultimate Chaos shouldn't mean that the barrier and the outside realm the endless vacua are different realms of existence. In fact, Hypnos' current profile says that he eventually became High 1-A because he broke the barrier, meaning he has the power to breach into the Ultimate Chaos, but is inferior to Outer Gods.
He went outside of the Dream's reach and the other gods just looked at him and he died. As i said, that's because The Ultimate Chaos is Outside of Dreams altogether. Hypnos is literally the god of sleep, he can't even go beyond the dreams even if he would want to.

He went outside of the Dream's reach and the other gods just looked at him and he died. As i said, that's because The Ultimate Chaos is Outside of Dreams altogether. Hypnos is literally the god of sleep, he can't even go beyond the dreams even if he would want to.
I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm questioning why you have the Ultimate Gate at a different cosmological level to the Ultimate Void, when you make no such separation between the final barrier of the vacua hierarchy and the Ultimate Chaos.

I feel like we're talking past each other. I'm questioning why you have the Ultimate Gate at a different cosmological level to the Ultimate Void, when you make no such separation between the final barrier of the vacua hierarchy and the Ultimate Chaos.
Because at the time i thought it won't be a big deal and just thought people will understand from where i'm coming from. Which was a mistake.
The physical Universe = low 2-C to High 1-B

The Dreamlands = High 1-A

Ultimate Chaos = High 1-A

Infinite Gates = 0

Ultimate Gate = 0

Ultimate Void = 0

Supreme Archetype = 0

Because at the time i thought it won't be a big deal and just thought people will understand from where i'm coming from. Which was a mistake.
It is a big deal lol, it pushes the Ultimate Chaos higher into High 1-A if you tier the incalculable barrier as a construct that is superior to the vacua but inferior to the Court of Azathoth.

It is a big deal lol, it pushes the Ultimate Chaos higher into High 1-A if you tier the incalculable barrier as a construct that is superior to the vacua but inferior to the Court of Azathoth.
Yeah i just tiered Dreamlands as High 1-A overall. But here's more accurate scale:

Limitless vacua = 1-A+

Incalculably denser vacua = High 1-A

Outer extension = High 1-A

Infinite Gates = 0

Ultimate Gate = 0

Ultimate Void = 0

Supreme Archetype = 0

For outer extension, it could be below Azathoth's Throne or above it, it's really hard to say. Even the first Gate can be tiered as below Azathoth but not sure yet.

Yeah i just tiered Dreamlands as High 1-A overall. But here's more accurate scale:

Limitless vacua = 1-A+

Incalculably denser vacua = High 1-A

Outer extension = High 1-A

Infinite Gates = 0

Ultimate Gate = 0

Ultimate Void = 0

Supreme Archetype = 0

For outer extension, it could be below Azathoth's Throne or above it, it's really hard to say. Even the first Gate can be tiered as below Azathoth but not sure yet.
Yeah the relationship between the Gates and Azathoth and the vacua has been the most divisive issue in CM scaling.

Yeah the relationship between the Gates and Azathoth and the vacua has been the most divisive issue in CM scaling.
The main reason i say this is because azathoth was stated to be outside all angled space, but the Outer extension was then said to be undimensoned. So i am not sure if outer extension is the first undimensoned realm or is Lovecraft just being redundant which wouldn't be the first time. Like when he said the Ultimate Void is outside all universes and shit, yeah now shit it is.

But this quote below stated blacknesses are weaker than umr at tawil, which is probably a reference to the voids or even azathoth's Throne which are also referred to as the "sentient blackness".

"And while there are those,” the mad Arab had written, “who have dared to seek glimpses beyond the Veil, and to accept HIM as a Guide, they would have been more prudent had they avoided commerce with HIM; for it is written in the Book of Thoth how terrific is the price of a single glimpse. Nor may those who pass ever return, for in the Vastnesses transcending our world are Shapes of darkness that seize and bind. The Affair that shambleth about in the night, the Evil that defieth the Elder Sign, the Herd that stand watch at the secret portal each tomb is known to have, and that thrive on that which groweth out of the tenants within—all these Blacknesses are lesser than HE Who guardeth the Gateway; HE Who will guide the rash one beyond all the worlds into the Abyss of unnamable Devourers. For HE is’UMR AT-TAWIL, the Most Ancient One, which the scribe rendereth as THE PROLONGED OF LIFE.”

"Thick though the rushing nightmare that clutched his senses, Randolph Carter could turn and move. He could move, and if he chose he could leap off the evil shantak that bore him hurtlingly doomward at the orders of Nyarlathotep. He could leap off and dare those depths of night that yawned interminably down, those depths of fear whose terrors yet could not exceed the nameless doom that lurked waiting at chaos’ core. He could turn and move and leap—he could—he would—he would—Off that vast hippocephalic abomination leaped the doomed and desperate dreamer, and down through endless voids of sentient blackness he fell. Aeons reeled, universes died and were born again, stars became nebulae and nebulae became stars, and still Randolph Carter fell through those endless voids of sentient blackness."

The main reason i say this is because azathoth was stated to be outside all angled space, but the Outer extension was then said to be undimensoned. So i am not sure if outer extension is the first undimensoned realm or is Lovecraft just being redundant which wouldn't be the first time. Like when he said the Ultimate Void is outside all universes and shit, yeah now shit it is.

But this quote below stated blacknesses are weaker than umr at tawil, which is probably a reference to the voids or even azathoth's Throne which are also referred to as the "sentient blackness".

"And while there are those,” the mad Arab had written, “who have dared to seek glimpses beyond the Veil, and to accept HIM as a Guide, they would have been more prudent had they avoided commerce with HIM; for it is written in the Book of Thoth how terrific is the price of a single glimpse. Nor may those who pass ever return, for in the Vastnesses transcending our world are Shapes of darkness that seize and bind. The Affair that shambleth about in the night, the Evil that defieth the Elder Sign, the Herd that stand watch at the secret portal each tomb is known to have, and that thrive on that which groweth out of the tenants within—all these Blacknesses are lesser than HE Who guardeth the Gateway; HE Who will guide the rash one beyond all the worlds into the Abyss of unnamable Devourers. For HE is’UMR AT-TAWIL, the Most Ancient One, which the scribe rendereth as THE PROLONGED OF LIFE.”

"Thick though the rushing nightmare that clutched his senses, Randolph Carter could turn and move. He could move, and if he chose he could leap off the evil shantak that bore him hurtlingly doomward at the orders of Nyarlathotep. He could leap off and dare those depths of night that yawned interminably down, those depths of fear whose terrors yet could not exceed the nameless doom that lurked waiting at chaos’ core. He could turn and move and leap—he could—he would—he would—Off that vast hippocephalic abomination leaped the doomed and desperate dreamer, and down through endless voids of sentient blackness he fell. Aeons reeled, universes died and were born again, stars became nebulae and nebulae became stars, and still Randolph Carter fell through those endless voids of sentient blackness."
Seems pretty damning. Now the Necronomicon, and by extension Alhazred have gotten things wrong, namely the malice of the eldritch beings of the Mythos, but I don't think this is one of those cases.
Now this could legitimately be a case of Lovecraft not caring for consistency, as he himself admitted that the Yog-Sothothery as he called it was not serious literature.

I would really want someone really knowledgeable about the verse and is a staff to comment here. Like Ultima, dude just dosen't respond. Lol

Now this could legitimately be a case of Lovecraft not caring for consistency, as he himself admitted that the Yog-Sothothery as he called it was not serious literature.

Talking about inconsistency, if dimensions in Through the Gate of Silver Key was described to have sort of qualitative difference, then in The Dreams in Witch House, anyone from lower-dimensional continuum can go to and live fine in a vastly higher-dimensional spacetime continuum, and there is "converse" (opposite/reverse) in there, and hailing from higher-dimensional continuum does not give you any advantage and going to lower-dimensional realm is still like the native of a planet going to an alien planet.

Such a step, he said, would require only two stages; first, a passage out of the three-dimensional sphere we know, and second, a passage back to the three-dimensional sphere at another point, perhaps one of infinite remoteness. That this could be accomplished without loss of life was in many cases conceivable. Any being from any part of three-dimensional space could probably survive in the fourth dimension; and its survival of the second stage would depend upon what alien part of three-dimensional space it might select for its re-entry. Denizens of some planets might be able to live on certain others—even planets belonging to other galaxies, or to similar-dimensional phases of other space-time continua—though of course there must be vast numbers of mutually uninhabitable even though mathematically juxtaposed bodies or zones of space.

It was also possible that the inhabitants of a given dimensional realm could survive entry to many unknown and incomprehensible realms of additional or indefinitely multiplied dimensions—be they within or outside the given space-time continuum—and that the converse would be likewise true. This was a matter for speculation, though one could be fairly certain that the type of mutation involved in a passage from any given dimensional plane to the next higher plane would not be destructive of biological integrity as we understand it. Gilman could not be very clear about his reasons for this last assumption, but his haziness here was more than overbalanced by his clearness on other complex points. Professor Upham especially liked his demonstration of the kinship of higher mathematics to certain phases of magical lore transmitted down the ages from an ineffable antiquity—human or pre-human—whose knowledge of the cosmos and its laws was greater than ours.

Talking about inconsistency, if dimensions in Through the Gate of Silver Key was described to have sort of qualitative difference, then in The Dreams in Witch House, anyone from lower-dimensional continuum can go to and live fine in a vastly higher-dimensional spacetime continuum, and there is "converse" (opposite/reverse) in there, and hailing from higher-dimensional continuum does not give you any advantage and going to lower-dimensional realm is still like the native of a planet going to an alien planet.
From what I understand, being able to survive in a higher dimension doesn't debunk them qualifying for higher tiers, seeing as they still encompass the entirety of the lower dimensions below them. Ultima has addressed this in this thread https://vsbattles.com/threads/cthulhu-mythos-downgrade.120051/page-2
You could also ask other experts such as DontTalk, either will give you a more comprehensive answer than I can

Last edited:
It is not what I mean about the quote from Witch House, but the part about beings from higher-dimensional spacetime continuum going to lower-dimensional spacetime continuum is no different from someone going from home planet to an alien planet, there are conditions to be met for even higher-dimensional being to survive entry, let alone to live in lower-dimensional spacetime continuum.

It is not what I mean about the quote from Witch House, but the part about beings from higher-dimensional spacetime continuum going to lower-dimensional spacetime continuum is no different from someone going from home planet to an alien planet, there are conditions to be met for even higher-dimensional being to survive entry to lower-dimensional spacetime continuum.
Yes it is different. Beings and technology in Lovecraft's stories are consistently stated they can travel to higher dimensions. This dosen't disprove anything.

It is not what I mean about the quote from Witch House, but the part about beings from higher-dimensional spacetime continuum going to lower-dimensional spacetime continuum is no different from someone going from home planet to an alien planet, there are conditions to be met for even higher-dimensional being to survive entry, let alone to live in lower-dimensional spacetime continuum.
In and of itself, this doesn't debunk or support anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back