• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cthulhu mythos Discussion Thread

Continuing from the other thread, Lovecraft was also influenced by Indian Religion, Greek mythology, celtic mythology etc.
Even Monism and Platonism.

Continuing from the other thread, Lovecraft was also influenced by Indian Religion, Greek mythology, celtic mythology etc.
Even Monism and Platonism.
He is INSPIRED BY many concepts lol. But the most important is Islam theology of Unknown (Ta'wil) and whatever Lovecraft monstrosity is as Bahamut.

@Udlmaster won't reply here lol.

Lol sorry, you're right.
Got confused there for a sec.

Anyway, if you know how to make profiles then sure.
I'm not really good at making profiles or revisions, I'm just saying they should have them (especially since other characters from these same stories have profiles like atlach, also we are starved for new cm content

I'm not really good at making profiles or revisions, I'm just saying they should have them (especially since other characters from these same stories have profiles like atlach, also we are starved for new cm content
I see.

If i had the time i could do them, but unfortunately i don't.

So does anyone here have access to Lovecraft's letters? The ones where he described his notions of God and whatnot?

Since the topic of the Gates was recently brought up in the now closed downgrade thread, what do you guys think about this?

Honestly, at this point saying CM isn't at least High 1-A is ridiculous.
Tbh I can see how one can see the Gates as being dimensional ones. Dimensional Gates are mentioned in other places such as Dreams in the Witchouse. But if the First Gate alone can open a High 1-B Extension of the Earth, you could make the case that the other Gates open undimensoned worlds.

Tbh I can see how one can see the Gates as being dimensional ones. Dimensional Gates are mentioned in other places such as Dreams in the Witchouse. But if the First Gate alone can open a High 1-B Extension of the Earth, you could make the case that the other Gates open undimensoned worlds.
The obvious issue is letters aren't canon, like blatantly they just aren't in lovecrafts case

Nah, the gates (as far as i remember) are only mentioned in the silver key, the dunwich horror and through the gates of the silver key. There are some stories that mentions "gates" but they are most likely not referring to the same thing.

Nah, the gates (as far as i remember) are only mentioned in the silver key, the dunwich horror and through the gates of the silver key. There are some stories that mentions "gates" but they are most likely not referring to the same thing.
Yeah in dreams of the witch house the gates are just referring to barriers of the dreamlands (this terminology is used the same way in dreamquest)

Imo this whole thing boils down to how you interpret Hypnos
Imo at best you can argue that the initial vacua they explored were dimensional, but the vacua "beyond all thought and entity" are most likely beyond dimensions entirely. So at worst th Gates and the vacua are separated, one being dimensional the other not dimensional.

Imo this whole thing boils down to how you interpret Hypnos
Imo at best you can argue that the initial vacua they explored were dimensional, but the vacua "beyond all thought and entity" are most likely beyond dimensions entirely. So at worst th Geates and the vacua are separated, one be
The entire area hypnos travels is undimensioned

Space time and matter don't exist there at all (we are straight up told this early as hell in the stories)

The family tree is obviously the biggest example of letters not being used to take stuff seriously, letters are just secondary material to the stories themselves AT BEST but I'd outright not use them unless I'd have to
Well true but I don't see a joke factoring in the WoG I posted. Lovecraft was telling Price about what changes needed to be made to the TtGoftSK draft regarding the Ancient Ones and whatnot

Well, family tree is not canon for a reason. It's clearly meant as a joke. This scan above however, isn't.

Well true but I don't see a joke factoring in the WoG I posted. Lovecraft was telling Price about what changes needed to be made to the TtGoftSK regarding the Ancient Ones and whatnot
Intent doesn't matter at all, my point isn't "the family tree is wrong because it's a joke" my point is it's wrong because it contradicts the actual stories (hell several letters Lovecraft wrote were jokes) however that isn't inherently a issue on its own

The entire area hypnos travels is undimensioned

Space time and matter don't exist there at all (we are straight up told this early as hell in the stories)
While that's true, it's all blatantly from the perspective of a flawed human, and Dreams in the Witchouse uses very similar phrasing to describe the 4 dimensional abysses Gilman travels through

While that's true, it's all blatantly from the perspective of a flawed human, and Dreams in the Witchouse uses very similar phrasing to describe the 4 dimensional abysses Gilman travels through
What, hypnos and the narrator blatantly understood the place they were in and blatantly gained understanding even greater as they crossed the barriers

What, hypnos and the narrator blatantly understood the place they were in and blatantly gained understanding even greater as they crossed the barriers
When the narrator describes his experience in general he says it's really hard to put into words because they do not belong to the waking cosmos of matter, time and space. However, similar phrasing is used for Gilman in DitWH. I can grab the quotes if you want

If we honestly take this argument (which is headcanon to say they don't understand given how they described it is accurate as a whole and hypnos is even able to go to azathoth court which is HARDER to comprehend than the dreamlands or gates (whichever you interpret hypnos place to be)

When the narrator describes his experience in general he says it's really hard to put into words because they do not belong to the waking cosmos of matter, time and space. However, similar phrasing is used for Gilman in DitWH. I can grab the quotes if you want
I'm aware (I've read and own physical copies of lovecrafts work) I'm just saying this doesn't matter, something being hard to put into words doesn't mean you don't understand how it functions, we are also told about boths hypnos and narrators experience not just the narrator's even if you think this is correct

Back