• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boruto Characters Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am admittedly tired and dizzy right now, due to that there have been too many tasks to keep track of concurrently today, but the above text still seems too messy to me. What do you mean with IP distinguished from verse for example?

Calling by an IP would be like "Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)"
Calling by a verse would be "Toad (Mario)"

I don't know if "IP" is the best term for this kind of meaning, however.

"Entry in a series" seems much more specific and easier to understand to me.

"Regarding the name of character pages, parenthesis that clarify the entry in the series it has debuted on, rather than just the verse itself in cases when there's simply another character already with the same name (If this is not the case, the page name is to be the character's name with nothing else), should only be applied in cases where:
Otherwise it's confusing and unecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse, and it's to be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, over Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded)).
In addition, if a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parenthesis to differenciate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

Is this good enought? If not, what needs further clarification and so on?

Last edited:
It seems mostly fine to me now. Thanks for helping out.

I am too busy, tired and dizzy right now to apply it properly though, so it may have to wait a while.

"Regarding the titles of character pages, in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names (If this is not the case, the page title should be a character's name and nothing else): A parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title, and it should be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded)).

In addition, if a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parentheses to differentiate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

I tried to clean up your draft text so it would become easier to understand, but it is still too messy/disordered to apply yet. Staff help to clean it up further would be appreciated.

Well, on my part i can't think of a way to improve it further, so I'll wait for others to express their thoughts on it or so.

"Regarding the titles of character pages, in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names (If this is not the case, the page title should be a character's name and nothing else): A parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title, and it should be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded)).

In addition, if a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parentheses to differentiate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

I tried to clean up your draft text so it would become easier to understand, but it is still too messy/disordered to apply yet. Staff help to clean it up further would be appreciated.
I got an idea, let's see...

"The titles of characters pages should be the respective character's name and nothing else, but in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names, a parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title, and it should be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded))."

Then what comes afterwards is made its own rule to keep proper pacing:

"If a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parentheses to differentiate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

I tried to clean up the language flow a bit again:

"The titles of character pages should be the respective character's name and nothing else, but in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names, a parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title, and it should be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded))."

Last edited:
I got another idea to improve the flow of the rule:

"The titles of characters pages should be the respective character's name and nothing else, but in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names, a parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
The following are exceptions to the above so long they don't fall in the before-mentioned criteries already:
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title."

I also added another example to the last one to showcase how it can also be applied to cases where the verses involved are separate as well.

Last edited:
I did another cleanup:

"The titles of character pages should be the respective character's name and nothing else, but in cases when there is one or more characters with identical names, a parenthesis that clarifies the entry in the series that a specific character has debuted in, rather than the title of the verse itself, should only be applied in cases when:
The following are exceptions, as long as they are not covered by the above-mentioned criteria:
  • Name specifications are available to differentiate a character from another with otherwise the same name, such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded), or Kairi Sisigou and Kairi (Street Fighter), rather than Kairi (Fate/Apocrypha) and Kairi (Street Figher).
Otherwise it is confusing and unnecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse title."

What do the rest of you think?

Can you list the staff members who have commented here earlier, so I can send notifications to them please?

I did another cleanup:

The following are exceptions, as long as they are not covered by the above-mentioned criteria:
  • Name specifications are available to differentiate a character from another with otherwise the same name, such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Data-Sora, instead of Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded), or Kairi Sisigou and Kairi (Street Fighter), rather than Kairi (Fate/Apocrypha) and Kairi (Street Figher).

What do the rest of you think?
@DarkDragonMedeus @Qawsedf234 @Soldier_Blue @Ogbunabali @DontTalkDT @Damage3245 @Elizhaa @Wokistan

Your evaluations would be appreciated here.

Thank you.

The problem is that we use dot columns in the editing rules page, and the above rext is very ill-suited for that format.

Thank you.

The problem is that we use dot columns in the editing rules page, and the above rext is very ill-suited for that format.
Well, that's easy to fix, just add double "*" in source mode so that it's a dot column that doesn't overlap with the others out of being even further on the right than normal.

There are naming cases like Luffy's (Monkey D. Luffy (Post-Timeskip) and Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-Timeskip))which may need to be addressed in the future but I am fine with the ruling.
That one is covered in the following clause:
However, the rule could be reworded for cases like this and Kratos to Kratos (Norse Mythology), so perhaps another exception could be made to keep it clear for those cases:

"The character in question has been separated into multiple profiles for organization purposes, but it can't be formally named after a respective entry in a series, and so it's usually clarified over a crucial event instead, such as Monkey D. Luffy (Post-Timeskip) and Monkey D. Luffy (Pre-Timeskip), or Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Pre-Genesis Wave) and Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Post-Super Genesis Wave)"

The case of Kratos is weird in general, and on my part I would rather the pages just being merged, especially considering how the second profile has hardly any content and just makes it even more unecessarily confusing.
But that being said, if the pages are to remain separate for that case, Kratos should be renamed to "Kratos (God of War)", then Kratos (Norse Mythology) is renamed to "Kratos (God of War IV)" or so. I would rather input from members more knowledgeable into GoW, however.

Last edited:
So should the following text be added then?

Last edited:
I think it would be best to reword this part a bit more, for clarification purposes:
So the wording would become...

Okay. I have updated my post. I am too tired and busy to handle updating our editing rules page right now though.

I handled it:

The reading format is not ideally synchronised with the rest of the page, given the several dot list columns though.

I think a thread should be done now to change the pages that are affected by this.
From the top of my head, several Shinza Banshou and BlazBlue pages now should just be clarified by their verse name, rather than the debuted entry.

You can start a regular thread for this in our wiki management forum if you wish.

Thank you. Should I close this thread then?

Sorry for the double post, but on second thought, I think one of the exceptions could be merged with one of the rules, as it serves as more of a clarification than being a proper exception in cases there's no proper entry to rely on for naming purposes:
So it could be instead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back