• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boruto Characters Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3X_2.0

VS Battles
Retired
I can't simply belive that I need to create a thread for this, but it comes from here. Boruto characters should get a (Boruto) and not Naruto, like Delta and Ada have. Code has a (Naruto) but Naruto manga ended 7 years ago. Boruto and Naruto are two different mangas and franchises. Boruto has his own manga, novels, movies and anime. They are just the same universe, but two different works.

Thus, Boruto characters with (Naruto) should be renamed to (Boruto) and they should not be reverted, as the thread I linked says.

Disagree. Its really pointless imo because “Boruto” is still apart of the “Naruto” Franchise. It’s its own IP sure but same world, history and characters. Unless other verses are doing this for continuations/spin-offs, I don’t think its necessary because Majority (& I’d argue everybody really imo) of ppl know characters who originated in the Boruto Era and there hasn’t been much confusion about it as far as I know.

I'm neutral I guess with the original characters like the Kara members, but Boruto doesn't have his own movie, it's still a Naruto movie, and Boruto only started like 2 years after the manga ended.

Disagree. Its really pointless imo because “Boruto” is still apart of the “Naruto” Franchise. It’s its own IP sure but same world, history and characters. Unless other verses are doing this for continuations/spin-offs, I don’t think its necessary because Majority (& I’d argue everybody really imo) of ppl know characters who originated in the Boruto Era and there hasn’t been much confusion about it as far as I know.
I support this, BTW.

We only make this kind of distinction if there's more than one character with the exact same name in the verse in question, even if related or not, such as how we do with Sonic, Mega Man, Link and some Breath of Fire pages, or if the verse in question simply has no consistent name for the "cosmology" as a whole beyond the author/company involved as I said in the other thread, like how Nasuverse and 07th Expansion Works are treated.

Therefore, as I'm sure it's all within the same canon here, and there's no distinction issues whatsoever beyond the work it's debuted on, I think all Naruto pages should just have "(Naruto)" as an addition in the page name if there's another character/term in other verses with the exact same name otherwise.
If other verses are doing this, IMO it's a case of "two wrongs don't make a right".

Regardless of the outcome, I'm sure this affects way more than this verse, and I would like if some editing rule over naming conventions for pages is done based on the conclusions obtained here.

Last edited:
I mean, it's still the same verse; this particular part is just called differently. We don't name them "Naruto Shippuden" or whatever.

I would keep it with the Naruto tag.
For example: Everything ToAru is also tagged ToAru. We don't really differentiate whether it is the Index, Railgun, Dark Matter or Accelerator series. Because it's all the same universe with connected scaling and everything.
I mean, Boruto even links to the Naruto verse page, so it really makes sense to make them recognizable as part of that franchise and scaling cluster.

Naruto shippuden is the anime title false comparison.

Comics should also not be used to draw a comparison.

Boruto yes is a part of the Naruto Universe so is Dragon ball super compared to the DB universe. But you don’t see Dragon Ball on all the Super characters.

The Boruto Title should stay or everybody who disagrees is willing to change every DBS profile to Dragon Ball on so on for every profile like that since it is literally the same logic y’all are providing rn.

I see no point in Labeling them Naruto characters when they are Boruto characters just bc they share the same universe.

Naruto shippuden is the anime title false comparison.

Comics should also not be used to draw a comparison.

Boruto yes is a part of the Naruto Universe so is Dragon ball super compared to the DB universe. But you don’t see Dragon Ball on all the Super characters.
Because that series has a tons of canons and so the further clarification is needed to cite from what canon the character in question belongs to (Super, GT, Xenoverse, Heroes, etc.), other cases are just out of there being multiple of them as well (See Goku), or just separation for organization purposes (While merging DB and DBZ Goku could be done without issue in terms of canon, the profile would become quite bloated).

Actually yeah. At the end of the day, they're just Naruto characters, and there aren't multiple canons and whatnot like Dragon Ball. Even characters from anime like Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon, the sequel to Inuyasha, such as these abominations, that have the Inuyasha branding.

Then I see no reason to not have Boruto titles for organization purposes and to differentiate between the two series.

Seems I am outvoted on this topic so I concede it’s wtv

So would somebody be willing to rename the relevant pages and update all of the links to them afterwards?

I agree with DT; the only think that could be changed to (Boruto) are profiles that have (New Era) to basically mentioned specific generation. But even that's not really a necessary change. Boruto is still officially part of the series known as the "NarutoVerse".

^ This.

I'm fine with putting "Boruto" in brackets after the character name if the Naruto and Boruto mangas had two different continuities/canons altogether, like what we do with DC's different continuities (pre and post Crisis, DCAU, DCAU movies, Injustice games, etc) and Star Wars (Legends Canon vs Disney Canon).

However, as it stands, Naruto and Boruto are one and the same canon. Putting (Naruto) and (Boruto) in the names might create confusion as to continuities/canon among those not familiar with the franchise.

And, as Final Order points out, I haven't seen any other confusion whatsoever regarding this.

It’s all apart of the greater franchise that is named Naruto, while it wouldn’t be anything negative to give them all this change. It’s a ton of unnecessary work for people, and just a waste of time in general.

It’s all still the “Narutoverse.”

It seems like we have reached a conclusion here then.

Is some staff member here willing to rename the affected pages? The links to them from other pages also need to be updated.

What why am I pinged here idk naruto/boruto at all

I think that it is about a wiki-affecting general standard.

I thought that we would write a general rule for cases like this.

I thought that we would write a general rule for cases like this.
It would be a good idea, yes, as I'm sure this unwritten standard will be "silently" breaked eventually otherwise.
It would be an editing rule, BTW, and could go like...

"Regarding the name of character pages, parenthesis that clarify the IP it has debuted on, rather than just the verse itself in cases when there's simply another character already with the same name (Otherwise the page name is to be the character's name with nothing else), should only be applied in cases where:
Otherwise it's confusing and unecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse, and it's to be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in other before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, over Sora (Kingdom Hearts) and Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded)). In addition, if a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parenthesis to differenciate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

If this gets accepted, I think some BlazBlue and Shinza Banshou pages may require a rename as well on some pages, Danny Phantom should also be renamed to "Danny Phantom (Character)" while we are on that.
I'll also suggest insering this Editing Rule right below the one over naming conventions based on the most predominant demographic or so (aka, the one that mentions that it's "Monkey D. Luffy", not "Luffy D. Monkey".

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I would like to notify that I greatly edited my post a bit after doing so as I came up with some wording on the rule.

It would be a good idea, yes, as I'm sure this unwritten standard will be "silently" breaked eventually otherwise.
It would be an editing rule, BTW, and could go like...

"Regarding the name of character pages, parenthesis that clarify the IP it has debuted on, rather than just the verse itself in cases when there's simply another character already with the same name (Otherwise the page name is to be the character's name with nothing else), should only be applied in cases where:
  • It's required to separate a Canon from another for clarification purposes, such as Son Goku (Dragon Ball GT) and Son Goku (Dragon Ball Super)
  • A timeline period across the same character that has been divided across multiple profiles for organization purposes, for example, Son Goku (Dragon Ball) and Son Goku (Dragon Ball Z)
  • There are other characters with the same name in the same verse (Even if simply related), as is with Link, however, in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if avaiable, and don't fall in other criterias already.
  • The verse in question as a whole not having a proper name beyond the author/company involved for them, like with Nasuverse and 07th Expansion Series
Otherwise it's confusing and unecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse."

If this gets accepted, I think some BlazBlue and Shinza Banshou pages may require a rename as well on some pages.
@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @Elizhaa @Mr._Bambu @DarkDragonMedeus @Damage3245

What do you think about this?

Sorry for editing it once more, but I thought that making the rule even more solid and making some other details clearer would benefit the community in the long run.

Sorry for editing it once more, but I thought that making the rule even more solid and making some other details clearer would benefit the community in the long run.
My apologies, but the language structure is currently too incoherent to clearly convey what you mean.

As such, you will have to make it easier to understand, after which I can try to give it another polishing.

Let's see...

"Regarding the name of character pages, parenthesis that clarify the IP it has debuted on, rather than just the verse itself in cases when there's simply another character already with the same name (If this is not the case, the page name is to be the character's name with nothing else), should only be applied in cases where:
Otherwise it's confusing and unecessary to deviate from only mentioning the respective verse, and it's to be noted that in-verse name specifications for each case may be given more priority, if available, and don't fall in the before-mentioned criterias already (Such as Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Data-Sora, over Sora (Kingdom Hearts) to Sora (Kingdom Hearts Coded)).
In addition, if a character's name is the same as the one of its verse, parenthesis to differenciate the two are necessary, for example, Pulseman (Character) and Pulseman (Verse)."

Would this be better? If not, hope you can reword it to express the idea better than it currently does.

I'll also quote something I mentioned before so it isn't forgotten:

If this gets accepted, I think some BlazBlue and Shinza Banshou pages may require a rename as well on some pages, Danny Phantom should also be renamed to "Danny Phantom (Character)" while we are on that.
I'll also suggest insering this Editing Rule right below the one over naming conventions based on the most predominant demographic or so (aka, the one that mentions that it's "Monkey D. Luffy", not "Luffy D. Monkey".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back