• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Barney & Friends: The Statistics CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think barney himself definitely exists, but am not totally on board with using all the imagination stuff as feats if nothing indicates that they stick.

What stopping the pictures being just part of the children's imagination? Is Barney acknowledged by adults / people that don't believe or know who Barney is?

1. No, the idea is that he's a figment of the children's imagination and "exists" in their imagination as long as they believe he is real. He's an imaginary friend, pure and simple.

2. I am arguing with the factual knowledge of what the show actually is. It isn't a double standard, if anything Barney's receiving massive double standards here for no apparent reason.

Wokistan said:
I think barney himself definitely exists, but am not totally on board with using all the imagination stuff as feats if nothing indicates that they stick.
Yeah, this.

I literally just finished an episode where the children actively acknowledged the fact that the instruments Barney helped make via the materials in his Barney Bag still exist after the the big guy has ****** off into his doll.

1. That is never stated anywhere in the show and actual proof overrides what you believe the show is about. This type of argument is utterly unacceptable and hinges on acting like your interpretation of the author's mind is legitimate in the face of actual facts and evidence.

2. No, you're just arguing your belief of the author's intent .

Kyle Ramos said:
I mean, what i said is still valid.
You cannot fool yourself with your imagination.
Of course you can. Children play games and imagine things, and Barney is not meant to be taken literally. It's just a figurative representation of children playing with an imaginary friend portrayed in a way that's engaging and not dull (for children at least).

Crabwhale said:
I literally just finished an episode where the children actively acknowledged the fact that the instruments Barney helped make via the materials in his Barney Bag still exist after the the big guy has ****** off into his doll.
Seriously? If so, this seals the deal.

I mean

" Barney is a dinosaur from our imagination "

" Barney shows us lots of things
Like how to play pretend "

1. It is literally stated in the opening theme song if that helps, to say nothing of the basic premise of every episode.

2. It's not author intent, it's calld being reasonable.

1. What is shown in the episodes overrides what is sung on vague lyrics. And again, reinforcing "basic premise" a thousand times doesn't make it any less of a vague and inapplicable interpretation.

2. Can you provide quotes that show this to be the case or is it your interpretation? Why bother arguing interpretations when you could just show quotes, seriously?

Kyle Ramos said:
>Using the theme song.
Yes?

Do you have anything to add other than non-points which just amount to mocking the opposition for no apparent reason. Are you forgetting perhaps that you were just unbanned and told to act on your best behavior?

Crabwhale said:
...I mean, I acknowledged that Santa existed for years past Xmas in my childhood along with his gnomes and the presents he made for everyone despite never seeing him because I imagined so and that doesn't make him actual reality.

Also again. Does any of these feats have lasting effects in reality that do persist? Does it have an actual effect on people outside the children or those who have Barney as an acknowledged imaginary friend?

Do the events regarded as feats extend beyond the children imagining things and what their imaginations display?

If not, I still see see no reason to regard this as any more than mere fabrications of children's imagination being taken too literally, myself.

Basically everything? They're not things you should perceive as literal. Doing so is inherently dishonest with the show at large, which acknowledges Barney as an imaginary being and someone who "exists" as long as children believe he does.

The interpretation to gather from that isn't that in the "Barney Verse" every human child has subconscious reality-altering powers that shape the world through beliefe and that Barney is this abstract entity materialized from their thoughts akin to a character from American Gods.

No, the interpretation here is that Barney is the children's imaginary talking purple dinosaur friend and everything is just their imagination.

Kyle Ramos said:
And what would be wrong with that.
We want to have the profiles with the most accurate info posible.
If you truly wanted that, than you would agree that Barney isn't a real being that can be tiered, and would either push for some unknown rating, or no profile whatsoever.

Feats >>> Statements

He´s also 200 millions years old, which makes him older than humanity, meaning that at most he is only "awakened" by the kids´s imagination, not the other way around.

@Kyle The same way any human remembers Santa. Refer to my reply above for the "feats" logic.

@Bobsican I can make an imaginary friend right now and say she existed since the dawn of time, and that doesn't make it real outside my own imagination or those who share it.

Again, one interpretation that is being treated as "obvious" in spite of the lack of actual quotes to back it up, whereas multiple feats show otherwise that invalidate what is pretty much a headcanon with no buts.

If Barney is shown in pictures, is acknowledged as leaving a real mark on the world even after he retreats to his doll...he is real. Arguing arbitrarities and interpretations will never change feats.

Because children remember what they thought up and played with? Have you never had an imaginary friend as a kid? Or played pretend as a kid? I'm not even sure what your point is here.

My point, however, is that one shouldn't treat imaginary events as real "feats", when they're clearly not happening anywhere save the character's imaginations.

If you want an example of this trope on a story for adults, see the Life is Strange Spin-Off, The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit. Which is about a 9 year old who imagines being a superhero. And we play through his imaginary adventures.

Or hell, the opening scene of Toy Story 3, which depicts Andy's imaginary adventure with his toys in a literal way. But that doesn't mean any of that is literally happening, it's just a kid running wild with their imagination and seeing grand adventures when in fact there's just a bunch of plastic toys on the floor.

FateAlbane said:
Also again. Does any of these feats have lasting effects in reality that do persist? Does it have an actual effect on people outside the children or those who have Barney as an acknowledged imaginary friend?
Do the events regarded as feats extend beyond the children imagining things and what their imaginations display?

If not, I still see see no reason to regard this as any more than mere fabrications of children's imagination being taken too literally, myself.
/\

This is not headcanon when the show keeps throwing at the audience that everything is based on imagination and the very feats are regarded as imagination by it as part of being in relation to a character that also is an imaginary friend.

It is actually headcanon. Repeating your interpretation of the show one thousand times over will never change what is actually established. Even more so when we're actually legitimately acting like personal, arbitrary headcanon overrides what is shown.

Sorry for the bluntness, but it doesn't matter how many times you argue the intent of the author. It is unacceptable to argue what you don't know and are assuming at random.

It is not our interpretation, it is an actual fact that comes with watching any episode of the show. Nothing is literally happening and no one seeing it is meant to think of it otherwise. Calling it an arbitrary headcanon is the same thing as calling the backstory of a superhero cartoon character that is stated in the opening of every episode a "headcanon".

Kepekley23 said:
It is actually headcanon. Repeating your interpretation of the show one thousand times over will never change what is actually established. Even more so when we're actually legitimately acting like personal, arbitrary headcanon overrides what is shown.
Like I just said, everything in the show keeps stating it's about imagination. Suddenly disregarding the quotes from the actual show, or the fact that the show itself also says Barney is an imaginary friend, as well as all the context it provides... In favor of taking imaginations of children literally as Reality Warping or feats because you're seeing what their imaginations are all about., is what actually ammounts to headcanon.

It is your interpretation. You keep saying it is a fact and fail to provide quotes. Keep doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back