• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Barney & Friends: The Statistics CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
LightinAnt said:
Feats don't mean that we have to blindly follow them and never question their validity, End of DB MoonBusting, 1-A Iceman, 2-A Batma
I´m fine with leaving the High 4-C thing as an outlier, but putting even the food feat as something invalid isn´t.

The only "headcanon" here is the interpretation that Barney's an actually living reality warping abstract. Which is blatantly dishonest. You seem so adamant on using buzzwords like "headcanon" and "author intent" that you don't appear to be considering what either mean.

Headcanon is developing an idea that is not supported in either the text nor the subtext based on a few personal interpretations. Going along with the basic premise of the show which is reinforced and re-stated constantly is not a headcanon. It's just being reasonable.

Author Intent isn't completely unusable as you say it is. It is dismissed when it is clearly and conclusively contradictory, usually in terms of authors stating the power of their characters as higher or lower than what feats show. An author's insight into their own work is completely valid.

@Kep You literally need to take a single look at Barney and the word "imagination"/"imaginary" is slapped across practically every episode of the series.

Barney himself is an imaginary friend. Not sure how you can say "It's my interpretation" based on that.

How are barney's tier 4 fetas outliers when he flat out did them one after the other? Barney also has never fought anyone, so any battle feats are justifiable.

What is actually stated is that the kids' imagination give Barney life. Not that he is only a figment of their imagination and nothing more. It doesn't matter how many times you try to bring up the author's purported intention when the actual showings show Barney as a real being.

And who is saying Barney is an abstract here?

@Kep Anyways, running out of time for today. I'll leave saying thanks for the discussion so far and sorry if I said anything wrong/that sounded bad on my end.

I'll come back to this tomorrow assuming I get the conversation still going. Until then, trusting you all (both sides) with the discussion. o/

Aparently kids can now fly thru the sky and fly hot air ballons with their imagination.

Seriously just watch the movie

Don't we have profiles about fictional in-universe stuff like Buzz Lightyear: Star Command?

Also, Toy Story is a false equivalence. It is outright shown right after that the scene is false and merely Andy imagining it. Barney, in the other hand, literally leaves realistically at the end of the episodes and is never acknowledged to be false, but rather a mysterious character.

LightinAnt said:
Also lmao at the Barney world for apparently having MTFL+ Kids who have Reality Warping powers according to the blog
It's just a meme profile akin to Chuck Norris and Composite Tree. It's not really about accuracy in the end.

From what I'm reading I'm with Kep here about Barney existing to some degree. Though I do think the profile is just an extremly bad idea and still has multiple large issuses.

The only evidence I see about Barney existing as a physical entity beyond just a purple doll the kids have is him apparently appearing in some pictures, which should be seen less as him concretely being there and more the kids seeing him there.

Matthew Schroeder said:
LightinAnt said:
Also lmao at the Barney world for apparently having MTFL+ Kids who have Reality Warping powers according to the blog
It's just a meme profile akin to Chuck Norris and Composite Tree. It's not really about accuracy in the end.
Yeah i see that with the images posted there too

Qawsedf234 said:
From what I'm reading I'm with Kep here about Barney existing to some degree. Though I do think the profile is just an extremly bad idea and still has multiple large issuses.
This.

But seriously I just say stop the profile from being made. If only for the large negative publicity that will inevitability follow its creation.

Completely false equivalence. American Gods actually explains the entire cosmology in detail seriously and shows how it is shaped by belief and collective ideology and delusion. Barney meanwhile is the imaginary friend of a group of children.

@Bob

His Tier 6 feats are extremely questionable and not such. All that is happening is Barney is jumping and the nearby surroundings are shaking. It's not a Tier 6 feat, or even City Block level. It's more like Small Building level.

Qawsedf234 said:
But seriously I just say stop the profile from being made. If only for the large negative publicity that will inevitability follow its creation.
I'm with this, to be perfectly honest.

A lot of the people here on both sides have been so overly-dramatic about this so far (across multiple threads, even) that I really don't see how the profile's creation is going to result in anything positive. We already have enough shitshows to handle without adding to it by making a profile that people are just going to keep bickering and complaining about.

I really don't even care whether the profile is suitable for creation anymore. If it's going to cause this much immaturity (and from what I've seen, I guarantee it won't stop even if Barney does get a profile), then I'd legitimately prefer if we just shot it in the head and moved on with our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back