• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Barney & Friends: The Statistics CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm... that note actually sounds like something worth to give a try, it won´t harm anyone if I just add that to the blog that´s still in beta.

While I don't think either interpretation can be deemed "fact", I do believe that Barney isn't actually real considering the context and a profile for him may not be the best idea.

Context?

There has been a countless amount of stuff that take Barney as an actual character like how he actually appears in photos, anyone can interact with him and matter not being intangible whatsoever normally.

I'm fine with Crab gathering evidence in his spare time and building a new profile himself in the future, if he wants. I trust his judgment, and considering he really does seem dedicated to bringing the character to the wiki the right way, I really would hate to take that away from him.

But right now, at this very moment, I'd rather we just put this whole thing down before it lays eggs. I don't like what it's done to the mentality of everyone involved, and from what I can tell, it's just going to get worse the longer we drag it out.

I don't think anything will change tbh, i don't see why VSB needs a Barney profile it will just spark more controversy and animosity especially when he is used against popular characters in VS battles

LightinAnt said:
I don't think anything will change tbh, i don't see why VSB needs a Barney profile it will just spark more controversy and animosity especially when he is used against popular characters in VS battles
You know, we can just ban him from Vs. threads in a comparable fashion to what we did to SCP-682

How exactly?

Honestly you really just shouldn't. That sort of thing isn't exactly something you want people to become aware of, and there's not really some secret towards subtly influencing people you can just be told.

Just let vsbw barney go, it's clearly causing more problems than its worth. Play around with it all you want on jbw, but the time is not right for him to be here.

Bobsican said:
How exactly?
There's no rulebook for it, but you could try getting things accepted that are between what's currently accepted and Barney.

E.g. If this wiki didn't allow characters that weren't from fighting focused series, you may want to start by pushing for characters from series partially based around fighting, or characters that don't fight in those series but still have interesting abilities, or characters from something popular and talked about that isn't a fighting-based series.

The only reason 682 is banned is because he has a planned overhaul.

Barney as a character would need an asterisk saying "may or may not exist". The last character that I know had that was a Starbound character that lost his profile for the exact reason of "he may not exist".

It feels so unfair I can´t just give up, I worked very hard and added a lot of love and effort to see the profile shine, only to be wrecked by users complaining that despise Barney being allowed, he shouldn´t be just because of an apparent bad feeling by looking at him in the wiki.

Even if he was a haxless 10-C at this point, the things would stay the same, so please provide an actual explanation for the whole "controversy" the character gets, as I seriously can´t understand it once it got this far.

Having put a lot of work into something doesn't make it suitable for the site. The verse that Undoubtedly First came from had a lot of work put into it but it was still decided as not suitable. All the composite profiles had a lot of work into them too.

These past 2/3 threads, and a significant chunk of the RVT.. It's not just a "bad feeling towards him being on the site", it's the fact that 0 progress has been made with establishing baselines that need to be solidified before we can even really determine what we do and do not consider a feat, and that it's already caused an unreasonable amount of wiki drama.

You are right in that it isn't really fair to you, but that's just how it is sometimes. It appears that right now, the wiki is just unable to handle barney, and as such its better that he stays on the sister sites.

@Bob The context for it is over the entire duration of the discussion.

While I hope I haven't done so, I won't exclude even myself from the possibility of having made a slip in my behaviour or a turn for the worse in attitude. Just by re-reading the discussion you can see how south this is going in various fronts. And it keeps escalating.

It's definitely not turning pretty in any manner whatsoever. It's far too controversial for the community to be worth keeping it at the cost of constant internal struggle over the cans and can'ts surrounding it.

Assaltwaffle said:
The only reason 682 is banned is because he has a planned overhaul.
Barney as a character would need an asterisk saying "may or may not exist". The last character that I know had that was a Starbound character that lost his profile for the exact reason of "he may not exist".
The 682 thing was just an example to show that such thing could work.

As for the second, this is still around

You can work with Crab on private for establishing a better profile, though. It's not like it will be tossed in the trash.

When will I know it can be the time to actually bring back Barney at this point?

We can probably try again when Crab is done assessing everything in the series. Considering the fact that he himself doesn't see that being the case for another few months, things will have probably simmered down since then.

That's the earliest I'm willing to see this discussion come back, in any form.

Also bob, when you eventually bring it back if you want it to be accepted you're really gonna have to tone it down on the more out there stuff. It sucks, but sometimes you do have to lowball your own stuff to get it on. Wiki politics is omnipresent, despite what some may say, and it's often easier to get a file on and upgrade it later than get it shot down for seeming really silly at first. I myself am working around this with a group of people rn, and while I'd rather not be, that's just how the wiki is.

You need to be established before pushing for high end stuff. That's the most important thing to take away from this. Take it from the guy who had a profile stuck in revision hell for half a year for a somewhat similar reason.

There's no rule for it or objective measurement you can make. No-one can give you a timeframe. No-one could have told you exactly when we'd no longer need the "No Marvel vs DC threads" rule. All you can do is keep an eye on public opinion and how people feel about the profile being made.

This is just a thing you'll have to figure out for yourself, and get a feel for the temperament of the community. There is no numerical value, and navigating around stuff like this can be tough, but i'm sure you can figure it out with a little help. Definitely consult with Crab about this sort of thing, if he wants to continue.

Can you please give me more elaborated tips of this sort in my wall? This sounds like something very useful for this case, thanks.

No, I can't give you more elaborate tips, because this is just something you have to figure out how it works. There's not really a step guide to social navigation, and playing wiki politics is no different. I like to think I'm pretty good at it, but I don't really think i'd be able to convey how to do stuff like that to another user who doesn't already kinda know.

This thread seems like it could be closed, at this point.

But not me smh badmins at it again being biased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back