• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Any Military nerd here who knows the explosive yield of 40mm grenades?

First_Witch

VS Battles
Retired
Title. There is a game where characters uses a grenade launcher as one of their standard equippment, but there is not much more known other than that it is a grenade launcher and that it looks strikingly like a Milkor MGL that, going by research, uses 40mm grenades as ammunition. I can't find any explosive values for those though, so I appreciate any crump of information. If possible, the values of explosive variants.

Not sure if it helps: My time browsing wikia (Don't think we can name drop other wikis here?) told me that 40mm rounds can penetrate up to 16 inches (400mm) of concrete. The M576 40mm grenade page gave some values too, but I don't know how accurate they are because I didn't understand how the final cite note related to the content.

I mean, looking at some videos, the radius seems to be about ~>2-3 meters, which is kinda consistent since some websites say that the "kill radius" is about 5 meters. Although it's not the same grenade launcher, it uses the same 40mm ammunition. So, you could probably just make a ground-blast calc with a 2-3 meter radius. For the record, 9-A starts at 4 meter radius.

That said, doesn't the game you're playing have any showing of them using the grenade launcher? Any videos or smth? You can probably just calc it if you have a video.

That said, doesn't the game you're playing have any showing of them using the grenade launcher? Any videos or smth? You can probably just calc it if you have a video.
Would have done that if not for the graphic style of the game. Some gameplay for example;

So the idea was simply to take the value of 40mm Grenades and use it to scale shit, because both characters and enemies can survive pointblank grenade hits.

Eh, tbh that's probably your best bet rather than just assumptions by watching youtube vids or smth. Grenade launchers don't have a blast radius written on wikipedia, so you should probably just calc it from the game, even if the graphic style is a bit troublesome. I recall seeing some calcs about games like this.

Don't really remember most of them, but since the game is basically just a 2-D top view game, it's basically like any other 2-D game, since the MC is visible and can be pixel-scaled.

Some calcs that have games similar to this are pretty much all Realm of The Mad God calcs (Not exactly the same genre, but same top view).

I mean, it isn't really that different? Since you can pixel-scale the main character, you can just pixel-scale the diameter of the explosion. Or do you perhaps mean you don't know how to do explosion calcs?

Dont you need the height of the explosion as well?
??? The only case I recall is if the explosion is like a perfect cylinder of fire, and you want to change the volume to a spherical one, but that's like extra specific, and even then, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Just get the diameter if the explosion isn't too wonky. For example, for nukes, we just get the diameter and don't give a damn about the height of the mushroom cloud it makes.

If the explosion is spherical/hemisphere in shape, then you just need the diameter.

Here's our wiki page explaining how to do these.

Tldr; here's the calc formula if the explosion happened on ground: W = R^3*((27136*1.37895+8649)^(1/2)/13568-93/13568)^2

R is the radius of the explosion, ie Diameter/2

W is the yield in Tons of Tnt.

Sorry that I have to ping you back here, but can I calculate the same explosions after several powerups? You can cover like, half the screen with a single grenade after a run.

I don't see why not? Since it's just a powered up version of it, not sure what's exactly the problem here.

Back