• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
When you encounter a monster, you will enter a FIGHT.
While you are in a FIGHT, strike up a friendly conversation.
As Frisk ventures through the Underground, one consistent aspect stands out, the turn-based combat system employed in every monster encounter.
From the initial encounters with the friendly Froggit or the timid Whimsun to the heart-pounding confrontations against Undyne the Undying and even Asriel, the turn-based mechanics remain a fundamental aspect of every monster encounter.
This strongly suggests that monsters inherently possess the power to impose the rules of turn-based combat in any FIGHTs they initiate,
Now, at first glance, one might wonder, "Isn't all of this simply a product of gameplay mechanics?"
It's a fair point, however, as shown below, we have compelling evidence that unravels this argument.

Acknowledged Mechanics

i know i can't beat you. one of your turns... you're just gonna kill me. so, uh, i've decided... it's not gonna BE your turn. ever. i'm just gonna keep having MY turn until you give up.
Basically Sans understands that Frisk's power is overwhelming, and in a regular turn-based encounter, they would inevitably defeat him, so he decides to infinitely extend his turn, making Frisk unable to attack him given it's still not their turn yet.
This statement is pretty important, since it basically confirms that turn-based combat is more than just a gameplay mechanic, but a fundamental aspect of how FIGHTs are conducted and the way it's phrased implies that these rules apply not only to Sans but to all monsters within the Underground.
Additionally, Gerson's inability to be killed can be attributed to the fact that he never enters a FIGHT encounter with Frisk due to Shops making doing so impossible
I've lived too long to be afraid of something like you.
Try it, kiddo!
I know you can't here
Gerson's statement reinforces the notion that the turn-based combat rules are not merely gameplay mechanics but actual laws followed in FIGHTs and implies that he is fully aware of the turn-based combat mechanics and the limitations they impose.
If the rules were mere gameplay mechanics, Gerson's response could have been scripted differently or omitted entirely. Instead, his dialogue reinforces the notion that these rules are a genuine aspect of monster encounters.

Supporting Evidence

Encounters with ruthless and animalistic monsters further validate this notion.
Whether driven by instinct or hired to kill Frisk, these monsters still adhere to the turn-based system, allowing Frisk to complete their turn even when utilizing time-consuming items like Instant Noodles, which takes over 5 minutes to prepare.
This further supports that the turn-based combat rules aren't simply followed simply due to a code of honor monsters have.

Furthermore, Royal Guard 01 and 02 who were told by Undyne to seek out and destroy you in the Neutral/Pacifist Routes, and definitely had more incentive to do so in the Genocide Route after they realize that you killed Undyne and attempt to avenge her, plus even if you kill RG 01, in which RG 02 reacts by making his attacks much more fierce and displays way more fury in his Flavor Text than RG 01, still has to wait over 5 minutes for you to finish the Noodles

Moreover, there's also these lines

The Biggest Counter

The biggest counter-argument against this is that the turn-based combat rules are specific to the Undertale universe and not necessarily a quality of monsters themselves. And as such, if Frisk were to fight another human, the same rules would apply.
However, by examining the unique case of Photoshop Flowey, can provide a compelling rebuttal.

In the Photoshop Flowey battle, we witness a stark departure from the traditional turn-based mechanics that define monster FIGHTs. Unlike every other battle, this fight lacks any turns and is a full-on chaotic thingy, as seen by the boss fight here

This deviation is significant because Photoshop Flowey is the only non-monster character we face in the game.
And despite the fact that Asriel is infinitely stronger than P. Flowey, Asriel adheres to the turn-based rules during his battle.
Even as Asriel destroys the current timeline they are fighting in, he maintains the established turn-based mechanics.

If the turn-based combat were universal rules governing all battles, including those involving humans or non-monsters, we would expect to see consistent application across all confrontations. However, the deviation presented by Photoshop Flowey, as well as the adherence to these rules by even more powerful beings like Asriel, indicates that these mechanics are intricately tied to the nature of monsters

So yeah, here's the page
And the thingy that I put in the last thread:
Could probably be improved, but ehhh
That's it.

And how would that work in a VS?

For example, who would start in a vs? Since it's in turns, one has to start, and who would it be?

And how would the issue of avoidance work? Aside from Sans, I don't remember any monsters dodging. How would this work in a VS?

For example, who would start in a vs? Since it's in turns, one has to start, and who would it be?

And how would the issue of avoidance work? Aside from Sans, I don't remember any monsters dodging. How would this work in a VS?
Almost all monsters get the second turn in the game, the only one who ever really gets the first one is sans, so I assume it would work like that?
Frisk dodges the monsters' attacks during their turn and Asgore did so against young Undyne, turns would really just limit when they can attack

This deviation is significant because Photoshop Flowey is the only non-monster character we face in the game.
Normal flowey, the bombs, the fact Toriel tried having you enter a "fight" with the dummy seemingly unaware it was possessed. You can also be attacked out of battle like in metaton's cooking show or undyne's chases

Normal flowey, the bombs, the fact Toriel tried having you enter a "fight" with the dummy seemingly unaware it was possessed. You can also be attacked out of battle like in metaton's cooking show or undyne's chases
Was going to mention these. Flowey enters a FIGHT with Frisk to attack him. While Metaton and Undyne have shown the ability to harm Frisk without entering FIGHT.

Indicating that they can just attack Frisk and FIGHTs won't necessarily be activated between them. As even with Undyne, a FIGHT bullet hell only happens when Frisk gets hit with her spears.
Make of that what you will.

Normal Flowey doesn't follow any turns. The bombs don't have turns. It's a magic dummy. Mettaton never harms Frisk during his cooking show.
Undyne's chase scenes are the only time Frisk is hurt without entering a fight, It can mean many things, but I don't see how it debunks turns existing in UT

Normal Flowey doesn't follow any turns. The bombs don't have turns. It's a magic dummy. Mettaton never harms Frisk during his cooking show.
Undyne's chase scenes are the only time Frisk is hurt without entering a fight, It can mean many things, but I don't see how it debunks turns existing in UT
Normal flowey definitely does, the bombs don't have turns but you're still on the fight screen
Death_Report_soundtrack.png

Where is it confirmed the dummy itself is magic
The consist factor in these seem to be the human actually and the monsters just exploiting the rules of how humans fight. We see flowey attack pretty much every monster at once in the scene before the Asriel fight and it doesn't seem like he entered turn based combat. Toriel hits two different characters with no evidence of using turn based combat against them. The three characters who exploit these rules include two who fought in the war against humans and sans who knows about resets meaning he might know about this as well

Normal Flowey tries to hit you a few times with his bullets before getting launched by Toriel, Frisk never has a turn to do anything, so I don't see why we'd say that.
The FIGHT screen being monster-exclusive isn't really what's being argued here, the FIGHT and ACT buttons both appear in the Photoshop Flowey fight afterall.
The dummy dusts, that only happens to stuff made of magic.
As for it being a human thing, why would P. Flowey not be affected by it when his stronger variant is?

Normal Flowey tries to hit you a few times with his bullets before getting launched by Toriel, Frisk never has a turn to do anything, so I don't see why we'd say that.
The FIGHT screen being monster-exclusive isn't really what's being argued here, the FIGHT and ACT buttons both appear in the Photoshop Flowey fight afterall.
The dummy dusts, that only happens to stuff made of magic.
As for it being a human thing, why would P. Flowey not be affected by it when his stronger variant is?
The fight screen is for the most part missing in the photoshop flowey it occasionally showing up isn’t the same and supports a connection between the humans and the rpg mechanics given that they cause the act button to appear. If the flowey fight didn’t have rules similar to a monster fight why didn’t the human just leave. The bombs not taking their turns can easily be explained by them being inanimate objects they can’t do anything. And the dummy turning to dust is because it is possessed something Toriel didn’t know. As for why asriel made it turn based he seemingly has a different method of torture in mind that fight compared to the previous time

I dunno about that, is Flowey allowing the FIGHT button to appear? Plus, Flowey makes you ACT during the the last "call for help" thing.
Flowey was teaching Frisk the rules of the Underground, and lad never does so again if we RESET, don't think Frisk would have any incentive to do so.
While that would explain it, it's kinda reaching since we'd have to assume these rules also apply when "fighting" inanimate objects.
It being possessed doesn't mean anything, the possessed thing only takes monster qualities once the ghost fuses with it, which didn't happen with the dummy.
Asriel during the entire fight was trying to overpower Frisk and gain access to the Timeline, and the turn-based mechanics continue even when Asriel is about to give up. Plus, it being so because Asriel wanted it to be so, isn't really implied anywhere.

I dunno about that, is Flowey allowing the FIGHT button to appear? Plus, Flowey makes you ACT during the the last "call for help" thing.
I don't believe there is anything confirming or denying the first thing. He has control of the human souls that each gave you the act button prior.
Flowey was teaching Frisk the rules of the Underground, and lad never does so again if we RESET, don't think Frisk would have any incentive to do so.
I mean he will do it again if you abort a neutral route saying "Howdy! I'm FLOWEY. FLOWEY the FLOWER! Hee hee hee... Why'd you make me introduce myself? It's rude to act like you don't know who I am. Someone ought to teach you proper manners. I guess little old me will have to do."
While that would explain, it's kinda reaching since we'd have to assume these rules also apply when "fighting" inanimate objects.
I disagree given the encounter/FIGHT screen shows up at all.
It being possessed doesn't mean anything, the possessed thing only takes monster qualities once the ghost fuses with it, which didn't happen with the dummy.
If it didn't fuse Frisk should be unable to harm it based on other information
Asriel during the entire fight was trying to overpower Frisk and gain access to the Timeline, and the turn-based mechanics continue even when Asriel is about to give up. Plus, it being so because Asriel wanted it to be so, isn't really implied anywhere.
Unlike Photoshop Flowey he doesn't go over the top trying to break to rules so perhaps he just didn't both changing it from turn based

I don't believe there is anything confirming or denying the first thing. He has control of the human souls that each gave you the act button prior.
The FIGHT and MERCY button later appear when he lost the SOULs tho
And still, I don't see why Flowey/Toriel would need to explain how the FIGHT system works if Frisk is the one who's causing it, plus, monsters seem a bit too familiar with it for it to be a human quality
I mean he will do it again if you abort a neutral route saying "Howdy! I'm FLOWEY. FLOWEY the FLOWER! Hee hee hee... Why'd you make me introduce myself? It's rude to act like you don't know who I am. Someone ought to teach you proper manners. I guess little old me will have to do."
I guess there he was teaching "proper manners"? Him trying the same trick again wouldn't make sense from a story perspective anyway
I disagree given the encounter/FIGHT screen shows up at all.
Well, you know what they say, if something doesn't make sense, blame it on magic.
Magic bombs
If it didn't fuse Frisk should be unable to harm it based on other information
You can destroy the Mew Mew doll without Mad Mew Mew fusing with it, plus, Mad Dummy's dialogue before the fight basically confirms that the ghost lived
Unlike Photoshop Flowey he doesn't go over the top trying to break to rules so perhaps he just didn't both changing it from turn based
I don't see why he wouldn't when his goal was to kill Frisk enough times for them to give up

The FIGHT and MERCY button later appear when he lost the SOULs tho
that doesn't prove he is creating them
And still, I don't see why Flowey/Toriel would need to explain how the FIGHT system works if Frisk is the one who's causing it, plus, monsters seem a bit too familiar with it for it to be a human quality
I mean it's not necessity because of either
I guess there he was teaching "proper manners"? Him trying the same trick again wouldn't make sense from a story perspective anyway
still does explain why Frisk doesn't just leave
Well, you know what they say, if something doesn't make sense, blame it on magic.
Magic bombs
Or it could be a mechanic of the verse
You can destroy the Mew Mew doll without Mad Mew Mew fusing with it, plus, Mad Dummy's dialogue before the fight basically confirms that the ghost lived
Interesting maybe it is magic
I don't see why he wouldn't when his goal was to kill Frisk enough times for them to give up
I mean last time he tried it didn't work plus he held back most of the fight

Another thing is when we are escaping undyne even if she hits us we get into the fight system showing that they really do need the turn based stuff.

that doesn't prove he is creating them
Well, Frisk didn't create them during the first Flowey encounter, plus lad was unfamiliar with the SOUL thing, which kinda has the SOUL at the core of its mechanics
I mean last time he tried it didn't work plus he held back most of the fight
Last time he lost due to toying with Frisk, and he keeps the turns consistent even in his "Get away from me" phase

If anything, the turn-based mumbo jumbo is most likely due to magic, which is why it activates even with inanimate objects in the Underground, which are also made of magic, like the monsters

Well, Frisk didn't create them during the first Flowey encounter, plus lad was unfamiliar with the SOUL thing, which kinda has the SOUL at the core of its mechanics
if the monsters are creating them then why does asgore need to destroy the button, you get a broken one back at the end of the fight to, flowey is certainly confused why you show him mercy
Last time he lost due to toying with Frisk, and he keeps the turns consistent even in his "Get away from me" phase

If anything, the turn-based mumbo jumbo is most likely due to magic, which is why it activates even with inanimate objects in the Underground, which are also made of magic, like the monsters
the same magic that made flowey aka the source of the one counter you had to it not being magic. It's not implied he created the save button for example

I guess, they kinda appear even in-cases where the latter disappears tho
yeah it is weird they are at the very least aware of the mechanics and can exploit them other examples include the "Bullet board" (No official name) like when lemonbread turns it into a mouth or Flowey shrinking it so you can't move before the final fight. The thing where they throw away yellow text and can later replace it

I'm glad that law manipulation is finally being acknowledged as something that monsters can do, but the original post makes some oversights.

Flowey in base flower form has defied the battle system too.
I don't see how Photoshop Flowey isn't a monster. He has six human souls, but that's in addition to Flowey, which is the same as his Asriel form, except with all the monsters in the Underground being included in the latter. Both forms still have Flowey, a monster, as the foundation. Photoshop Flowey defying the battle system just means that he has a different tactic in that form compared to his Asriel form. As we know, during the first phase of Asriel's battle, he was only using a fraction of his real power, and when Asriel transformed into his final form, Frisk was paralyzed, so there was no need for Asriel to defy the battle system. Photoshop Flowey probably wasn't only using a fraction of his power, which is why he was attacking nonstop. Furthermore, Mettaton has both taken part in the battle system while fighting Frisk and unconventionally fought Frisk without initiating a battle in the first place. Mettaton is made of metal and magic, and I'm pretty sure inside the robot is a ghost like Napstablook, so we should consider Mettaton as a monster. This signifies that, no, a character being a monster isn't correlated to the battle system. The exact qualifications aren't very clear. For all we know, it could be a Frisk thing, especially since the battle system applies to Frisk when they need to avoid laser security systems, which are inanimate.

The evidence in favor of law manipulation explains how some monsters are able to defy the established cosmic law system, that being the Undertale battle system, not that that system itself is part of the law manipulation of the monsters that automatically applies itself to reality. Sans being able to never let Frisk have their turn and Gerson being a shopkeeper nullifying the battle initiation are evidence of the two being able to defy the cosmic law system, but if the battle system were part of their ability in the first place, then this wouldn't be needed. Sans and Gerson know that the battle system works against them, so they avoided abiding by it. If the battle system were part of the law manipulation of monsters, then first enemy that appears once Toriel leaves Frisk alone in the Ruins would be able to attack forever and never let Frisk continue, or at least the first monster who's clever enough to try an underhanded method would do this. Enemies who are desperate and/or violent would break the rules to defeat Frisk in an underhanded way. If any monster could manipulate the battle system and have the entire system be part of their law manipulation, then bloodlusted characters waiting for Frisk to prepare instant noodles for minutes would only put them at a disadvantage and would contradict the monster being bloodlusted, since they'd be fully capable of not waiting for Frisk to finish preparing the food, and even be capable of attacking without taking turns. There would be no reason why Sans couldn't simply dunk on Frisk with an unavoidable attack as his first attack, and successfully fulfill his goal of forcing the player to give up by breaking the rules of the battle system.

Clearly there is an established system that different characters are able to defy to certain extents. Some monsters can't even defy it at all. Text in combat against Whimsun suggests that the monster is being forced to attack the player against their will, without any other character appearing to make sure that Whimsun does this. The Check description is that the monster is too scared to fight, and Whimsun says dialogue like "I'm sorry..." and "I have no choice..." before having attacks circle around Frisk's soul without trying to touch it. This means, despite it being out of character for Whimsun to fight, that monster must abide by the battle system anyway, meanwhile a character like Napstablook can skip attacking for a turn purely because he's dull.

Do you notice how it's always the important monsters who defy the battle system? I mean that it's always the monsters who don't have duplicates of themself, like boss monsters. Not even all of them get to do it, like the royal guards in Hotland. So, this means, some monsters have the ability to defy a cosmic law system that's already in place.

I don't see how Photoshop Flowey isn't a monster. He has six human souls, but that's in addition to Flowey, which is the same as his Asriel form, except with all the monsters in the Underground being included in the latter. Both forms still have Flowey, a monster, as the foundation.
Flowey isnt a monster, its only a flower with determination

Flowey isnt a monster, its only a flower with determination
Right, I forgot about that, but still, he was originally Asriel, who is the same species as Toriel and Asgore, who are monsters. Asriel died and got recovered as Flowey the flower, so in essence, the character seems to still be a monster. Rewording my point with this in mind surely brings the same conclusion, doesn't it?

Right, I forgot about that, but still, he was originally Asriel, who is the same species as Toriel and Asgore, who are monsters. Asriel died and got recovered as Flowey the flower, so in essence, the character seems to still be a monster. Rewording my point with this in mind surely brings the same conclusion, doesn't it?
Nah I feel like this is how it worked

6 Human souls + Flowey (No soul) = Human

Omega flowey would technically be a human

6 Human Souls + 9000 Monster Souls + Flowey = Monster

Asriel would be a hybrid but a monster

Flowey has Asriel's essence, but aside from that, lad is completely not a monster, if he was one, he wouldn't have been able to absorb monster SOULs
But the rest of the argument still kinda holds up, I'd say

Nah I feel like this is how it worked

6 Human souls + Flowey (No soul) = Human

Omega flowey would technically be a human

6 Human Souls + 9000 Monster Souls + Flowey = Monster

Asriel would be a hybrid but a monster
Flowey has Asriel's essence, but aside from that, lad is completely not a monster, if he was one, he wouldn't have been able to absorb monster SOULs
Thanks, that makes sense.

I mean, he is outright said to not be a monster.

"We'll need a vessel to wield the monster SOULs when the time comes. After all, a monster cannot absorb the SOULs of other monsters. Just as a human cannot absorb a human SOUL... So then...What about something that's neither human nor monster?" Entry number 7

"I wonder... what happens when something without a SOUL gains the will to live?" Entry number 8

Dumb question. Would this mean that Sans would be able to do his "special attack", i.e, essentially doing nothing to extend his turn "infinitely" and preventing either him or his opponent in doing any actions (until incon is triggered or smth), in a verse match? If so, once again, Sans gets another "upgrade" to his name.

Dumb question. Would this mean that Sans would be able to do his "special attack", i.e, essentially doing nothing to extend his turn "infinitely" and preventing either him or his opponent in doing any actions (until incon is triggered or smth), in a verse match? If so, once again, Sans gets another "upgrade" to his name.
He can already do that, he has law manip in his profile after all

Yes. Also now he will always start the battles first and also can use the menu buttons AND can actually dunk people now. He is gonna be BUSTED

Honestly I am disagreeing here.

This is pretty much just verse mechanics rather than an actual P&A, as unlike Sans the monsters can't use this by themselves.

Plus as other people said characters have shown to just ignore turns, Toriel definitely didn't wait her turn to attack Flowey/Asgore.

This does not mean he is human thoughm given he still can absorb both human and monsters, when species explicitly can't absorb a soul of the same species.

Plus this whole thing is straight up so damn fishy because:
  • Undyne did not follow turns during the chase
  • Toriel attacked when it was technically Flowey/Asgore's turn
  • Mettaton can damage Frisk without necessairly attacking them (I heavily doubt the quiz was a FIGHTing, same with bombs)
  • Chara attacked Asgore when it was technically his turn
Meaning that while it's a setting in the verse, characters can "go out of it" in multiple means, and it's giving to basically the whole verse except some a broken hax from a thing that's... not even their power.

It's like saying that every Dragon Ball character has Acausality 1 because of the time travels not truly affecting them, or everyone in Spider-Verse Low 2-C Enviromental Destruction from messing with the canon events, when you really can't apply this kind of thing outside of the verse.

Last edited:
This does not mean he is human thoughm given he still can absorb both human and monsters, when species explicitly can't absorb a soul of the same species.
6 human souls + 1 weird soulless being is technically a human, even if its not this proves that omega flowey isnt a monster

Back