• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

YouTube Profiles Quality Control Discussion (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buttersamuri said:
Oh yea. How dare I make a page on the site where you can Make pages on characters. I'm such a horrible spammer.

It was a page that would be discussed regardless to posting it or not. It literally only has the effect that now we have the page to look at. I posted it so we have something to look and link to. It's not like it cant be deleted. So don't come at me with the "spam an abundance of random". I'm aloud to make pages. This thread shouldn't Suddenly stop people from making YouTube pages. As long as they are ok under the guidelines, they should be fine. If it's brought up by higher ups to stop making them for the time being, that would be different. But all this thread is for us to discuss the pages. It will be discussed if there's issue. That's why I even brought up the page itself on here. So it could be discussed when we get too it. So Relax.
You do realize that we can talk about a character getting a profile without you uploading a half-finished page with poor justifications?

Just link to the blog/sandbox ffs, don't clutter up mainspace with bad pages.

Well, now that it has been brought up, I think we can address Phil. I've said before, Phil does not meet our standards. His skits supplement the topic of his videos and do not stand as stories on their own.

What's more, Phil isn't even multiverse level. Quite the contrary, the links you posted don't prove that he's capable of destroying the whole multiverse at once.

The first link just states that he protects the multiverse. Cool, I could be 9-B and do that too if I hopped around the multiverse and stopped criminals.

The second link states that Phil's power can tear apart the multiverse. That's pretty vague, and without feats is wholly unquantifiable.

Sir Ovens said:
Well, now that it has been brought up, I think we can address Phil. I've said before, Phil does not meet our standards. His skits supplement the topic of his videos and do not stand as stories on their own.

What's more, Phil isn't even multiverse level. Quite the contrary, the links you posted don't prove that he's capable of destroying the whole multiverse at once.

The first link just states that he protects the multiverse. Cool, I could be 9-B and do that too if I hopped around the multiverse and stopped criminals.

The second link states that Phil's power can tear apart the multiverse. That's pretty vague, and without feats is wholly unquantifiable.
His skits do have story to them. They aren't random and different characters each time. It's always the same person, same story, consequences carry to other episodes. And he even references past episodes a lot. And a consistent one. Starting out after he destroys the planet. He meets future version of himself telling him his future goes really bad and he came back in time to train him. Which he refuses due to being lazy. Then meets other versions of himself as they go on. All who come back and has to stop this Phil after he goes power crazy. After dividing the power between him and several other vesions. The shadow comes and stars killing off them while stealing their powers and killing them. Who finally leads him to going to the first original Phil. Stealing his power and banishing him. Until he comes back and defeats The Shadow

There is definitely story there. And quite a bit of it. A lot of setting up, returning characters, consistent characters, and references to other episodes.

With the Multiversal. Tearing apart the Multiverse isn't vague in this instance. A good example is shown here, in this clip at 4:00. Considering "tearing apart" in this instance resulted in the universe destruction. Tearing apart the Multiverse should mean the same thing. Tearing apart did in fact mean destroy. It's also why the shadow even specifically says after everything shatters. All that will remain is him

@Butters From watching some of his videos, it seems like The Science Asylum except about superpowers instead of science.

i.e. Youtube videos discussing a topic, each with a few minutes of joke skits per video which loosely tie together into an ongoing plot.

I can get the code from deleted files if the user requests is, but seriously don't post these rn.

A little late, but isn't a lot of The Slender Mythos technically fanfic as none of them are the owners of the Slenderman copyright? I mean the only one that isn't is Marble Hornets as while the character in the ARG looks like Slenderman, it isn't and MH iirc has it copyrighted. They have their own movie and comic after all. But most of the Slenderman pages are from people who are just using Slenderman. He isn't in the public domain.

Please try to keep the discussion focused on if the YouTube profiles matter-of-fact should be removed according to our current regulations. Unnecessary arguing is not constructive.

I thought we were suppose to comment our opinions on what should stay and what shouldn't. If it will derail the thread I will stop, just thought was what we were supposed to do.

Not familiar with Sassy The Sasquatch or Cecil, but The Ginosaji is pretty consistent in what he does and the content he originates from is pretty official with it possibly getting a movie in the future.

I will unsubscribe from this thread due to time constraints. You can send me a message if you need my help later.

Alright so I'm gonna try this.

Goji, Headless, and all of you. Stop derailing the current pages in question. Blindly skipping between pages means none of this gets done and if it gets down to causing enough issues one feels that all of the pages will just go due to an inability to uphold standards for them. We need to keep this thread kept on track. Randomly mentioning a profile you'd like to defend not only doesn't help because we'll have to discuss the character again, it actively hinders the thread by taking up space between relevant discussion.

I fail to see how I was derailing. I did not randomly mention that profile. I mentioned it because it seemed like all the profiles above it with the exception of sassy were solved. Unless you wanted to keep discussing the same characters? The only reason I skipped Sassy was because I have absolutely no knowledge on that character and I wanted to keep the thread going by selecting the nearest profile I had knowledge on so I could properly evaluate it without errors due to lack of familiarity. Sorry if I caused any derailing by doing that.

They weren't saying the pages should be deleted, they said the pages should simply be taken from the OP due to being qualified as okay. Or in Death Mwauthzyx's case; is not technically a YouTube character, but a movie/video game character.

This thread was supposed to be mainly staff only to avoid derailment...

(Given that I am subscribed to the staff forum, I apparently couldn't avoid notifications from here.)

This entire situation really grinds my gears. I've had enough tolerating this nonsense; it's time to pull this off the site by the roots while it's trying to cling desperately. I'm honestly starting to feel like these profiles are being made for the sole purpose of shitposting or trying to straddle the line of what's acceptable on the wiki and mess with people who want to take the site seriously.

The fact that we're allowing Smosh Food Battle Profiles on the wiki unironically makes me lose faith in the site as a whole.

Without further adieu:

List

The Nostalgia Critic: Should be deleted. His show has elements of other existing verses, and trying to separate them from his show is like trying to allow fanfiction on the site by carefully editing out references to the work the fanfiction is based on. See below for more stuff on how I think allowing these kinds of profiles does to the perception of our site when we have an entire other wiki (JokesBattles and FC/OC) for this shit.

Anthony Padilla (Food Battle only): Food Battle version should be deleted. I don't really care that it "technically has a plot". It's borderline shitposting and is not material for our site. It's straddling the line for the sake of straddling the line, so people can make "who would wins" between youtube personas without 'technically' breaking the rules. It's detrimental to how seriously people take our site (spoiler: not much, even now) and I vehemently oppose it.

Ian Hecox (Food Battle only): See above.

The Nameless One (CalebCity): Good. I mean, for ****'s sake, it's a bunch of skits.

The Guitar Guy: See AVGN.

The Glitch Gremli: See AVGN.

Death Mwauthzyx: See AVGN.

Wilford Warfstache: AKA - "How do we make Markiplier vs. other popular youtubers while skirting around rules and regulations on the site". Delete it.

The Detective (Who Killed Markiplier?): See above. I mean, if we aren't allowing Markiplier the rest of the gang (who happen to be played by Markiplier and his freinds) shouldn't be allowed because 'wuh-oh they have a different name and costume'.

Oishi Kawaii: Not familiar enough to really comment, however if she's from a single isolated skit that has a contained plot I can tolerate it. However: Delete the Smosh verse page and it's connection to her page, link her to her skit/series of skits.

Noodles: See Oishi

The Angry Video Game Nerd: See Nostalgia Critic.

HABIT: Don't have enough info, although the page looks suspicious in general.

Filthy Frank (Francis of the Filth): Oh, come on. Again, I don't care that it "technically has a plot" any more than I care that there's **** verses that "technically have a plot". It sets a bad precedent for the site and turns this into "how we can wank stage/youtube personas while technically abiding by the rules". Fringe pages like this have no right to exist.

Sassy the Sasquatch

The Ginosaji: Barely makes it in my book. Considering it was part of a movie pitch, and the video series has a contained plot that doesn't have any personas like Smosh or Markiplier, it's alright.

Cecil the Sasquatch: I have doubts on using characters from an "Australian Surrealist Comedy" for the purposes of versus debates, but it's better than letting in youtube persona profiles.

Choomahviatha: See above.

Leslie Mackerel: See above.

Clarence: See above.

Mike Nola: See above.

Ellis Warningto: See above.

Brandon Rogers (Character): Stage/youtube persona trying to skirt around the rules. Delete it.

Bryce Tankthrust: See above.

Donna Phitts: See above.

Eldest Elmer: See above.

Sam (Brandon Rogers): See above.

Balgar: Animated youtube series. Seems fine.

Super Spiro: See above.

Boris: Confused on this one. Why is it here when CoC is a game verse?

Green Man (Petscop): Don't know enough on the character.

Marvin (Petscop): Don't know enough on the character.

Firey (Battle for Dream Island): Seems like an animated youtube series. It's fine for the same reasons Buggs Bunny is fine.

Announcer (BFDI): See above.

Four (Battle for BFDI): See above.

Markiplier Manor (Who Killed Markiplier?): Youtube persona trying to skirt around the rules. Delete.

Tobuscus: I mean, for ****'s sake. It's not even trying to skirt around the rules here, delete.

Smosh (Verse): Shouldn't be a verse, especially if the Food Wars profiles are (hopefully) deleted. We can un-delete it if it hosts enough skits as a profile in the vein of Disney and Dreamworks, but it doesn't really have enough profiles to be here.

CalebCity (Verse): Collection of comedy skits with no plot that occasionally references other skits. Delete.

Cinemassacre (Verse): See AVGN. Delete.

Brandon Rogers (Verse): See the character's namesake. Delete.

Balgar (Verse): Seems fine.

Petscop: Don't know enough on the verse.

Animator vs. Animatio: Verse seems fine. Love the series personally.

Jeff the Killer Saga: Honestly (most) Creepypasta profiles should be on FC/OC for the same reason off-brand SCP profiles are.

ASDF (Verse): Yeah no. See CalebCity, the ASDF videos don't have a 'plot', they're a bunch of skits that sometimes references previous skits. Delete it and all the pages spammed onto it.

I Like Trains Kid (ASDF), Mine Turtle, Stegosaurus (ASDF), Mr. Muffi, Do The Flop Guy (ASDF): AKA, more reasons I'm losing faith in this site. Please, delete these.

Darkiplier: See other Markiplier rule-skirting shenanigans.

Mephistopheles (Welcome to Hell): Seems okay. Have issues with some of the particulars of the profile but that can be handled in a CRT.

Antvasima said:
This thread was supposed to be mainly staff only to avoid derailment...

(Given that I am subscribed to the staff forum, I apparently couldn't avoid notifications from here.)
Staff haven't been the ones to make many of these profiles, so I've asked the people who did make them to contribute as the thread went.

Dargoo forgot that our argument over AVGN on discord isn't publicly viewable

CrimsonStarFallen said:
"The Angry Video Game Nerd: See AVGN."
The issues between him and Nostalgia Critic are so similar I honestly didn't care enough to tell the difference.

On another note, fixed.

On another note, i got more stuff on Habit. He's shouldn't even be in here, since his thing isn't exclusive to youtube. And if he is, then Slenderman (EverymanHYBRID) should be too.

Also, the pages where made by Prom, and i think Ultima is also a supporter, so if you want to fact check, you can ask them.

The issues between him and Nostalgia Critic are so similar I honestly didn't care enough to tell the difference.

On another note, fixed.

I refer you to the note on their pages

@Dargoo Okay, I can see your point, but I do think you're overreacting. And honestly, both Sera and Everlasting said that if there's one thing the wiki needs; is that we need to be more open-minded with the introduction of new verses and not discriminate against them for either being niche or being free to watch/play.

Anyway, I saw no reason for AVGN profile deletions other than See AVGN on both Cinemassacre and AVGN character. We already mentioned that Death Mwauthzyx is not even a YouTube character but a movie character; who also later appears in a video game. We already established elaborate reasonings of having a continuity in that verse among other things. You can argue that some of the feats are inconsistent, but that alone shouldn't warrant a deletion given that Marvel and DC exist. And the majority of the staff at the very least accepted that the video game versions are definitely fine as many fan made RPG Maker games are allowed here. There's also the fact that Cinemassacre has just as much to count as a Publisher as Roosterteeth. It doesn't actually count as "YouTube Persona" but rather than Cinemassacre is a big website where it actually originated before he uploaded his videos on YouTube. EddWorld profiles have been allowed for similar reasons.

Don't have much else to say for some of the other ones; I have some agreements and disagreements here and there for some of the other stuff, but I disagree with the motivation behind wanting to delete them. You can't just demain profile or verse deletions just because "People want to shit post", because honestly, even a whole bunch of popular verses have shitposters.

Hl3 or bust said:
Just as an fyi, the Filthy Frank page is for a book that Joji made, not the youtube series
I honestly don't care.

The page shouldn't exist for the same reason we wouldn't allow a PewDiePie profile from one of his many, many liscenced and unliscended games.

I honestly don't care.

The page shouldn't exist for the same reason we wouldn't allow a PewDiePie profile from one of his many, many liscenced and unliscended games.

Which are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back