• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Writing Discussion Thread

Just create a simple space-time lol.
Nah, I just like the idea of certain segments of the mind being real in a higher dimensional realm.

Our dreams and imagination are real but they are in a higher dimensional realm.

But a few amount of people are capable of bringing those dreams to reality, to our dimensions.

With enough dream control, some characters can transcend reality and ascend to higher realms.

That's what I've been thinking off.

Try watching a pacifist run in Fallout. Usually the charisma stat is used often which is what granted the Courier their insane Social Influencing feats

Undertale works too I guess
Nah. A lot of the charisma dialogue for New Vegas and in the other 3D Fallouts are terribly written (and I don't need to explain why), a lot of them tend to feel like buttons you press because you know it'll make you insta-win rather than feeling like your character is actually explaining in-depth why another character is wrong. For nicely written charisma builds in games, I'd suggest something like Arcanum.

But, again, this depends on what kind of charismatic person the lead is. Does she try to start debates with other characters regarding their views? Does she examine their lifestyles and their body movements to gauge out their character and uses it to her advantage? Does she manage to get a crumb of information regarding a character's past and attempts to use it as blackmail? Maybe she's an intimidating character and is good at using scare tactics on even the toughest foes. Maybe she manipulates people as naturally as she breathes? All of the above?

Nah, I just like the idea of certain segments of the mind being real in a higher dimensional realm.

Our dreams and imagination are real but they are in a higher dimensional realm.

But a few amount of people are capable of bringing those dreams to reality, to our dimensions.

With enough dream control, some characters can transcend reality and ascend to higher realms.

That's what I've been thinking off.
This is Megami Tensei or Persona lol.

This is Megami Tensei or Persona lol.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true. The crux of Megami Tensei's cosmology is that the mind is largely synonymous with reality itself, as both are composed of the same material (Magnetite/Magatsuhi), You could make the argument aspects of Cognition exist in higher-dimensions, considering the archetypes in the Kadath Mandala are born from humanity, but there's no concept of transcendence or ascendance through "imagination/dream control". MegaTen's notion of transcendence is more so modeled after Buddhism, Hermetic Qabalah, and the teachings of Carl Jung and Abraham Maslow.

Damn y’all cooking. I’d jump in but, too lazy
Hopefully nobody steals my writing. I'd probably cry.
and probs this too since I’m paranoid that someone’s gonna specifically screw over my life

how many times has the word “outer verse” or “dimension” appeared in this thread

Last edited:
how many times has the word “outer verse” or “dimension” appeared in this thread
You can find out by using the search function of this forum. There's a setting next to the general search bar which reads "this thread".

Put outerverse or dimension in the search bar and you'll get your answer

Ya know, I had an idea. We all know the typical multiverse is either a multiverse with few timelines, but those timelines have a theme. (Timeline 1 is the OG timeline while Timeline 2 is the timeline where the heroes lost) or that multiverse just straight up has infinite timelines and infinite possibilities.

The idea of infinite timelines for infinite possibilities is cool but I kinda like multiverses with a few countable timelines more since it makes those timelines more interesting.

So I thought, that for my stories I should do something that includes both at the same time but in different ways.

Here are my ideas:

There are a finite amount of timelines, they're the main timelines.

In a lower dimension, in a lower level of reality, every possible variation and outcome of the main timelines exist and there are an infinite amount of them, infinite timelines. I don't have a name for those timelines yet. Lower timelines? Unreal timelines? I am open to suggestions but I want a name that makes it clear that those timelines aren't real, compared to the main timelines. That name has to follow the rule of cool too.

There is a way for those timelines from that lower dimension to become real. But at this point, I haven't thought of a good explanation that is interesting that would explain how those timelines can turn into main timelines.

Anyway, thoughts?

In a lower dimension, in a lower level of reality, every possible variation and outcome of the main timelines exist and there are an infinite amount of them, infinite timelines. I don't have a name for those timelines yet. Lower timelines? Unreal timelines? I am open to suggestions but I want a name that makes it clear that those timelines aren't real, compared to the main timelines. That name has to follow the rule of cool too.

There is a way for those timelines from that lower dimension to become real. But at this point, I haven't thought of a good explanation that is interesting that would explain how those timelines can turn into main timelines.
So how about like this, you said a lower dimension. What if said lower dimension is the fiction created by the main timeline? Due to how diverse fiction can be and the amount of fanfics and crossovers there are, it allows for an exponential growth of their multiverse.

Meanwhile the main timelines are merely the dull IRL world and comparatively, the multiverse there does not have the chance to grow in a diverse manner due to the lack of interesting elements that allow for radical change.

However if a fictional world is written closely enough that it can exist in the real world without too much contradiction or if the real world develops in such a way that a fictional universe can exist, said world becomes a part of the higher dimension's multiverse.

Anyway, thoughts?
I think it's fine. I have personally grown weary of infinite multiverses and the actualization "every possibility" into a universe, so a limited multiverse is, at least to me, immediately more interesting than what many fictional settings have adopted as of recent. There's unfortunately not much else I can say on the idea, however. I'm of the belief that every facet of a story, including the cosmology, should serve a greater narrative, thematic, tonal, developmental, or philosophical purpose, so there's not much I can offer without context.

I am open to suggestions but I want a name that makes it clear that those timelines aren't real, compared to the main timelines. That name has to follow the rule of cool too.
I immediately thought of Quantum Superpositions as I was reading, oddly enough. I'm not sure if what I have in mind is entirely congruent with what you've proposed, but I think it's at least some food for thought: As possibilities, the "Lower Timelines" are simultaneously "real" and "unreal" until they either do or do not come to fruition, in the same way light can exhibit the properties of both a wave and particle until it is specifically observed. For instance, a possible "Lower Timeline" could be one in which the president of the United States dies "tomorrow" (in relation to the Main Timeline). "Today" the timeline is in a position of being both real and unreal, as there is a possibility the president could die tomorrow, though we do not which outcome will occur. If a possibility is actualized, the associated "Lower Timeline" becomes one with the "Main Timeline". If a possibility is contradicted or does not happen, it is "observed" as being unreal and thus does not exist. These possibilities, which I would refer to as "Schrodinger Timelines", are what compose the "Main Timeline".

I haven't thought of a good explanation that is interesting that would explain how those timelines can turn into main timelines.
In a similar vein to what I proposed earlier, there could exist an entity (character, object, etc) which has the ability to alter the ontological states of timelines. Through this power, one could transform previously-occurring possibilities to unrealities, reverting their impacts and implications on the "Main Timeline". One could also make nonexistent, "expired" possibilities into reality, causing separate timelines in which they did occur to form concurrent the primary reality and potentially threatening the integrity of the "Main Timeline".

I kinda changed my mind on how I want to do the cosmology of my verse. At first I wanted to make it shittoverslaifjebshyperversal because powerscaling sites' tiering systems are cool as **** but now I realize that I should make it understandable for the average reader.

The average reader can understand infinite spatial dimensions and layers of reality pretty easily if they watched at least one video explaining the higher dimensions.

So far my plan for my revamp of my cosmology is this.

1. A fictional multiverse of infinite timelines that contains every possibility and alternative outcome

2. The real timelines, there are a countable amount of them. (Every timeline has infinite spatial dimensions but most of those dimensions are empty and bounded by time. This means that higher dimensional characters can fit inside each timelime and some characters can move across those dimensions which makes up for coolass pseudo teleportation)

3. The Mind/Dream realm (Name subject to change. This realm is were the abstract minds and dreams of everyone lies. I don't know if I should make the dream realm different from the mind realm or if I should put one of those realms above the other. I am leaning to put the dream realm above the mind realm cuz I like dreams a lot. I am willing to take suggestions. Anyway, the mind/dream realm transcends the real timelines. People access this realm through dreams and their mind but most lack control over it. There are a few people who are very cool and they can use their access to the mind/dream realm to control the real timelines. This realm is one level of reality above the real timelines and their infinite spatial dimensions. It's a transdimensional realm)

4. "The realm that's source of every concept" (name's subject to change) altering a concept in here alters that concept on this realm and the lower realms. This realm is one level of reality above the previous one.

5. "La Descreación" this realm always existed and is were creation lies (Creation is all the previous realms) it transcends creation and sees it as fiction.

6. "Realm of the authors" this is were the avatar of the author exists (there is only one author, me, but I promise y'all that in the future I will be making a shit ton of stories with a group of people). It sees everything lower as fictional.

7. "Fake real life" this is the highest layer of reality. It's an imitation of the modern real life made in order to deceive the characters of my story into believing it's real life. A prison through deception. Everything below it is fictional

I am thinking of making a document explaining my ideas further and drawing a map of the cosmology.

I'm also thinking of making a realm that has an infinite amount of every material that exists, it was used to create everything. But idk were to put that realm in the cosmology. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and thoughts.

Yeah.

I include Carl Jung's works into my writing because I find them fascinating, and I do personally believe in things like genetic memory (which itself ties back into the collective unconscious), not because it's outerversal or whatever. If you just slap big ideas onto a story without any driving reason or belief behind it, it can and will come off as power scaling bait.

I expect you, as a writer and a storyteller, to actually utilize concepts to further develop the themes, messages, and concepts of your narrative. Including philosophy and theology is absolutely fine if you're putting them to use, but throwing random ideology together without a specific purpose is just haphazard.
The real thing that I delve into this is humanity attempt to ascend or even just being spiritually higher.

By practicing Kabbalah, they seek the light of ein sof ohr, to unite with the infinite divine light itself.

By seeking Dao, one pursue it by learning to understand all thing in creation. Because all that created come from Dao.

And many more if we including another mysticism and philosophy.

The real thing that I delve into this is humanity attempt to ascend or even just being spiritually higher.

By practicing Kabbalah, they seek the light of ein sof ohr, to unite with the infinite divine light itself.

By seeking Dao, one pursue it by learning to understand all thing in creation. Because all that created come from Dao.

And many more if we including another mysticism and philosophy.
If you have plans to meaningfully incorporate those ideas into your story, that's good. Just be deliberate, is all I have to say.

I don't think it's a good idea to cram several philosophical ideologies into one story, because it becomes haphazard and difficult for a reader to understand at that point.
I think it's possible, though it's hard to realistically and holistically portray multiple schools of thought in a story without risking its brevity and pacing. Ultimately, only invoking them when they can enrich what you have to say is key. Every aspect of a story should be driven by purpose and thoughtfulness.

I think it's possible, though it's hard to realistically and holistically portray multiple schools of thought in a story without risking its brevity and pacing. Ultimately, only invoking them when they can enrich what you have to say is key. Every aspect of a story should be driven by purpose and thoughtfulness.
I never said it was impossible, only that it may not be the most practical idea if you're trying to write a quality work. Since, as you said, portraying such philosophy in a story can be difficult.

I never said it was impossible, only that it may not be the most practical idea if you're trying to write a quality work. Since, as you said, portraying such philosophy in a story can be difficult.
SMT is an example bruh, the story is not good even if the lore and the world building is.

That fanfic was painfully generic. Like your average isekai harem shonen ecchi anime nowadays.
Did Rakih really made that fanfic? I thought it was another dude

I have...very heavy contentions with that, but I think there are many Megami Tensei that do blend multiple philosophical and religious concepts to further reinforce and expound upon their own rhetoric. The Persona 2 and Digital Devil Saga duologies are good examples.
DDS does have a decent one.

Back