• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wizarding World Discussion Thread

I don't know what the offer is. Can you throw it off?

I want to prove the speed of light of a spell through diffraction, reflection from metal surfaces, and a description of the spell that says it's a light beam/flash of green light. Remember, there is a spell of sunlight (Lumos Solem), so there is also the effect of light diffraction, and it is clearly visible, and it is similar to that effect of Avada Kedavra. So I think it's quite realistic. Moreover, diffraction is also present in other combat spells (Stupefy). And, if you look closely, the spells that are visible and described as light flashes seem to be faster than lightning bolts, for example, which were sent by Grindelwald.

Only way is to scale from near light speed accio and beam/jet of light quotes from the books. And iirc this wiki declined the accio wog.
I looked at how accio's speed was discussed. But there will be a completely different conversation about Avada Kedavra, because it is a spell with a projectile, just as accio or expelliarmus are non-projectile spells. But it seems to me that accio can have the speed of light purely because it can be invoked while being completely at a very far distance from the object, and the speed of the summoned body will be consistently high.

It is also not clear why Voldemort's durability does not indicate that his body is a horcrux after resurrection, which is why he could be given the durability of a multi-city block.

It is also not clear why Voldemort's durability does not indicate that his body is a horcrux after resurrection, which is why he could be given the durability of a multi-city block.
Are you trolling us? I'm completely serious.
Do you know what the definition of a horcrux is? Horcruxes serves as anchors that bind a wizard's main soul to the material plane, allowing their master to continue living even after the body's destruction. Therefore the master's own body, artificial or not, cannot be a horcrux.
"Well, you split your soul, you see," said Slughorn, "and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one's body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged. But of course, existence in such a form . . . "
Plus Dumbledore had clearly stated that Voldemort's new body was not a horcrux, just a regenerated body.
"I am glad to see you appreciate the magnitude of the problem," said Dumbledore calmly. "But firstly, no, Harry, not seven Horcruxes: six. The seventh part of his soul, however maimed, resides inside his regenerated body. That was the part of him that lived a spectral existence for so many years during his exile; without that, he has no self at all. That seventh piece of soul will be the last that anybody wishing to kill Voldemort must attack--the piece that lives in his body. "
And when a horcrux is destroyed, the piece of soul inside it is also destroyed. So Voldemort's being a horcrux would completely contradict the concept of horcruxes and the purpose of horcruxes in general.
“It should be, actually! But my point is that whatever happens to your body, your soul will survive, untouched,” said Hermione. “But it’s the other way round with a Horcrux. The fragment of soul inside it depends on its container, its enchanted body, for survival. It can’t exist without it.”
And the only reason that horcruxes are immune to normal magic is because their creators made powerful protective spells on them. Otherwise they would be no more durable than ordinary trash.
“No,” said Ron, before Harry could answer. “So does it say how to destroy Horcruxes in that book?”
“Yes,” said Hermione, now turning the fragile pages as if examining rotting entrails, “because it warns Dark wizards how strong they have to make the enchantments on them. From all that I’ve read, what Harry did to Riddle’s diary was one of the few really foolproof ways of destroying a Horcrux.”
“What, stabbing it with a basilisk fang?” asked Harry.
“Oh well, lucky we’ve got such a large supply of basilisk fangs, then,” said Ron. “I was wondering what we were going to do with them.”
"İt doesn’t have to be a basilisk fang,” said Hermione patiently. “It has to be something so destructive that the Horcrux can’t repair itself. Basilisk venom only has one antidote, and it’s incredibly rare —”

Last edited:
Are you trolling us? I'm completely serious.
Do you know what the definition of a horcrux is? Horcruxes serves as anchors that bind a wizard's main soul to the material plane, allowing their master to continue living even after the body's destruction. Therefore the master's own body, artificial or not, cannot be a horcrux.

Plus Dumbledore had clearly stated that Voldemort's new body was not a horcrux, just a regenerated body.

And when a horcrux is destroyed, the piece of soul inside it is also destroyed. So Voldemort's being a horcrux would completely contradict the concept of horcruxes and the purpose of horcruxes in general.

And the only reason that horcruxes are immune to normal magic is because their creators made powerful protective spells on them. Otherwise they would be no more durable than ordinary trash.
Maybe I was wrong that he was a horcrux. But for some reason there were such thoughts, I don't even know why. But Tom could theoretically imprison a piece of his soul into his new body after rebirth. That would explain why he died after a duel with Harry, because Avada Kedavra destroys horcruxes.

Maybe I was wrong that he was a horcrux. But for some reason there were such thoughts, I don't even know why. But Tom could theoretically imprison a piece of his soul into his new body after rebirth. That would explain why he died after a duel with Harry, because Avada Kedavra destroys horcruxes.
There's no clear proof avada kedavra can destroy horcruxs. Harry was the only case and he had no enchantment done to make him immune to most magic.

There's no clear proof avada kedavra can destroy horcruxs. Harry was the only case and he had no enchantment done to make him immune to most magic.
Yes, this is a controversial issue. But still, the horcrux was exactly INSIDE Harry and formed, as it were, a spiritual part of his astral shell. If in other horcruxes there was only one small part of the Dark Lord's soul, then inside Potter sat the full soul of Harry and a small part of Tom's soul. I think that Harry's soul itself served as a protection against all sorts of charms, etc., it is also magical. But these are just my assumptions. However, in the movie Deathly Hallows Part 2, Ron tried to kill Nagini with the help of Avada Kedavra, but he failed. Of course, this moment was not in the book, but it is still quite interesting.

Yes, this is a controversial issue. But still, the horcrux was exactly INSIDE Harry and formed, as it were, a spiritual part of his astral shell. If in other horcruxes there was only one small part of the Dark Lord's soul, then inside Potter sat the full soul of Harry and a small part of Tom's soul. I think that Harry's soul itself served as a protection against all sorts of charms, etc., it is also magical. But these are just my assumptions. However, in the movie Deathly Hallows Part 2, Ron tried to kill Nagini with the help of Avada Kedavra, but he failed. Of course, this moment was not in the book, but it is still quite interesting.
There is 0 evidence harrys soul has any protective traits so yes, this one is pure assumption of yours. The green curse ron shot has no proof that it's the killing curse as too many curses that weren't or was said to be just a curse is portrayed as green in the movies. And it narrowly missed her so that already makes it irrelevant even for the movies.

Well, I tried to increase the speed of the Avada Kedavra, it remains to try to increase the reaction speed of wizards to hypersonic with the help of Newt's feat. I also had a desire to deal with the speed of Stupefy, since it looks like a flash of light, but I don't think I'll have enough free time in the near future.

Well, I tried to increase the speed of the Avada Kedavra, it remains to try to increase the reaction speed of wizards to hypersonic with the help of Newt's feat. I also had a desire to deal with the speed of Stupefy, since it looks like a flash of light, but I don't think I'll have enough free time in the near future.
The wizard from book of spells dodging sky to ground lightnings and aurors briefly dodging forks of lightning on a broom that grindelwald conjured should be noted too.

And for the movie profiles. The hufflepuff seeker in poa gets struck by lightning while chasing the golden snitch towards the sky and had no visible injury but was only briefly stunned and fly downwards after. Could this make movie wizards durability higher than wall lvl?

Back