• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Winter Schnee vs Jean Pierre Polnareff

They can harm 8-Bs and allof her summons are stronger than Weiss', thats the reasoning.

No, an 8-C cannot harm an 8-B, the gap between baseline 8-C and 8-B is almost 14x. A 5x gap is enough that a weaker fighter cant harm a stronger fighter.

How would afterimages help distract her if she cant see them? and Winter is one of the smarter fighters in the series, specializing in combat and adaptability, if she notices that Polnareff cant hit her from a certain distance she'll know to play the range game.

Normal 8-C Grimm are already able to pose a threat to 8-B RWBY characters, the only reason they don't is because they are either outhaxed or outskilled. So that's not good enough justification.

You're also forgetting that Grimm are like 10x heavier than humans. Even if they lack the attack potency to do lethal or fatal harm, a single swipe is still going to send them flying. This is probably why Qrow was "damaged" by them. He was just bodied.

The afterimages wouldn't distract her, she cannot see them. I only made that argument on the basis that she could see SC, which she cannot. She approaches Polnareff, she feels that she is repeteadly cut over and over before being sent flying backwards. Rinse and repeat.

Polnareff could also you know, see the giant shadow being created by a Grimm if it were summoned on top of him. Chariot afterimage slices it in half and bodies it.

WeeklyBattles said:
They can harm 8-Bs and allof her summons are stronger than Weiss', thats the reasoning.

No, an 8-C cannot harm an 8-B, the gap between baseline 8-C and 8-B is almost 14x. A 5x gap is enough that a weaker fighter cant harm a stronger fighter.

How would afterimages help distract her if she cant see them? and Winter is one of the smarter fighters in the series, specializing in combat and adaptability, if she notices that Polnareff cant hit her from a certain distance she'll know to play the range game.
What if that 8-C can move faster than light?

It depends, if the 8-C was only moving at hypersonic speeds then it would likely not do any more damage, as RWBY characters tank hypersonic speed attacks themselves.

If it was moving at light speeds then it is likely not an 8-C attack, that or PIS and we just treat it like an 8-C attack regardless of speeds. Moving lightspeed with mass is a physical impossibility and should create giant ass explosions, so if fiction ignores it we ignore it as well.

No they really arent, they pose a threat to 8-C RWBY characters, not 8-Bs. A normal grimm has never once been shown to give an 8-B trouble in the show.

He wasnt hit by something 10x heavier than him, she used a bunch of birds to attack him.

She wouldnt be cut due to her aura.

Hence why she'd create a miniature summon and tepelort it into a blind spot, even Weiss while just training to master her summoning is able to do that.

I still don't understand how this is really much of a debate when a character has nearly a 4x AP advantage, and has access to a 5x speed amp.

It's pretty fair so say Pol can just break out of the gravity hold if it has only worked on characters that are at Winter's AP level.

I've seen the Winter vs Qrow fight once more for reference.

First off, the birds she summoned did not seem to hit Qrow at all. They flew around him and proceeded to distract him. The birds do not seem to be as strong as other Grimm either, and do not have a feat for their strength. I have heavy doubts it would be in-character for her to use them to hit Polnareff, let alone them being strong enough to cause heavy damage to someone with 8-B durability.

Second off, I fail to see how a pointed ~50 ton repeated stabbing attack would not cause significant damage and harm to her aura, which is ~18 tons. She never got hit by Qrow in that fight, which leads me to believe that if she did it would be very unfavorable for her, even if she would survive it.

Her summons are 8-B, this is an inarguable fact

Winter's AP isnt 18 tons, shes far above it. Winter = Qrow = Raven >= Vernal >>> Arma Gigas >>> Queen Lancer which was undamaged by an 18 ton attack

Winter traded blows with Qrow dozens of times in that fight, what are you talking about?

Dargoo Faust said:
I still don't understand how this is really much of a debate when a character has nearly a 4x AP advantage, and has access to a 5x speed amp.
It's pretty fair so say Pol can just break out of the gravity hold if it has only worked on characters that are at Winter's AP level.
Polnareff technically isn't 4x as strong as Winter. He is not 64 tons, he is below the cutoff for 8-B+ which is below 50 tons, I believe. Winter is way stronger than 18 tons, leading me to believe they are not that far apart in terms of strength.

Though they do have pointed weaponry, which exerts that force among such a small surface area, making a pseudo-durability negation to a degree.

WeeklyBattles said:
Her summons are 8-B, this is an inarguable fact

Winter's AP isnt 18 tons, shes far above it. Winter = Qrow = Raven >= Vernal >>> Arma Gigas >>> Queen Lancer which was undamaged by an 18 ton attack

Winter traded blows with Qrow dozens of times in that fight, what are you talking about?

ProfessorLord said:
Though they do have pointed weaponry, which exerts that force among such a small surface area, making a pseudo-durability negation to a degree.
Aura makes all piercing and cutting attacks turn into blunt force, Pol having a pointed weapon means nothing

Due to inconclusive numbers, Winter is largely above 18 tons, while Polnareff is somewhere around 50 tons, but no higher than that. At most, Chariot is only roughly 2x as strong as Winter.

I'd like to see a source on aura making all cutting attacks turn into blunt force, please, because it will determine my final conclusion a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQS1_3QWt1Q

They still feel the pain of the attack hitting them but they dont take lasting damage until their aura goes down. Its the reason why during tournaments and even in casual sparring matches they use real weapons and live ammunition, and why once their aura drops theyre automatically disqualified from a fight. The blades and piercing weapons and bullets get turned to blunt force.

I think that may not be so good in a way, the pain of a metal baseball bat is much more than the pain of a bullet, even if the bullet is much deadlier.

Its actually extremely good as Aura can protect the user from things 4-6x stronger without going down, such as the Atlesian Paladin which was able to take hits from the combined attacks of Team RWBY and only receive scratches and Flynt Coal's Semblance which makes three copies of himself to quadruple his power. High 8-Cs in the verse have also taken hits to their Aura from 8-Bs without it going down.

I'm very inclined to say that with similar strength and durability, with both having pointed weaponry means that whoever is able to strike first with their sword is likely going to snowball into a win.

Semblance spam is not the norm for Winter. In her fight against Qrow she only proceeded to use it after an extended period of simply swordplay, so it's unreasonable to assume she's going to use it to summon supposedly 8-B Grimm behind Polnareff.

It is also not the norm for Polnareff to instantly go for the kill unless he is angry, due to his chivalrous nature though. He toyed around a fuckton with Avdol, even when under DIO's control.

Due to inconclusive specifics, it is probably best to assume that Silver Chariot is only 2x as strong as Winter, because both only have rough estimates based on scaling to others. They are both roughly the same speed, even when using their respective speed amps.

So who is going to get that sweet, sweet first blow?

Polnareff has a stand that is 2x as strong and invisible to Winter. You cannot react to what you can't see, it would take an unprecedented stretch of the imagination to assume that from the sensation of touch alone she would proceed to counter all of Silver Chariot's blows with her aura enfused sword.

But, it is unlikely he will go for any lethal blow in his first few attacks. He would definitely be willing to harm her greatly, but I have my doubts that he will go for the head. Therefore I think Polnareff will get the first combo of attacks, but will stop short of immediately killing such a "pretty lady".

This is likely going to warrant Winter to use her semblance to summon a bunch of birds to attack Polnareff from behind. He has demonstrated the ability to withstand a casual blow and being ragdolled by DIO, so I have my doubts that they will do any significant damage. Regardless, they will be a distraction. This is an opening for Winter to strike him down, that's her only option.

I don't think it is enough of an opening to knock him out and prevent him from using Silver Chariot. Pissed off and enranged from an attack, Silver Chariot proceeds to launch a flurry of blows just before she is able to touch Polnareff, this time not holding back. Winter's aura is very quickly depleted by the barrage of sword slices causing her to jump backwards with the aid of her semblance. Unfortunately, Polnareff can shoot his sword, which travels through the air and plants itself straight into her skull. Even if she dodges it by coincidence, the amount of ricochet he has demonstrated is borderline impossible meaning it is not unlikely for him to expect that and have it still follow her anyway.

With that, I believe that is how their abilities would generally interact with one another. I am standing firm on my vote for Polnareff.

For the record, I believe that Winter would have had a much better chance if she could see Silver Chariot, and probably take the win.

WeeklyBattles said:
Its actually extremely good as Aura can protect the user from things 4-6x stronger without going down, such as the Atlesian Paladin which was able to take hits from the combined attacks of Team RWBY and only receive scratches and Flynt Coal's Semblance which makes three copies of himself to quadruple his power. High 8-Cs in the verse have also taken hits to their Aura from 8-Bs without it going down.
I am inclined to say that is plot induced stupidity in terms of the actual amount of aura they have, not an actual function of aura, as I expect such a thing to have already been reflected in their durability. Maybe something like City Block level+ with aura.

Polnareff having a pointed weapon doesnt matter due to Winter's aura.

It doesnt really matter where Polnareff has silver Chariot strike as her aura will prevent it from doing any serious damage

She also has restraining glyphs as an option that Pol wont be able to break out of

>Unfortunately, Polnareff can shoot his sword, which travels through the air and plants itself straight into her skull.

Again, wont happen due to aura

ProfessorLord said:
I am inclined to say that is plot induced stupidity in terms of the actual amount of aura they have, not an actual function of aura, as I expect such a thing to have already been reflected in their durability. Maybe something like City Block level+ with aura.
I will gladly add that. People being able to take hits fromthings above their level due to their aura is far,far too consistent to be PIS

WeeklyBattles said:
Polnareff having a pointed weapon doesnt matter due to Winter's aura.
It doesnt really matter where Polnareff has silver Chariot strike as her aura will prevent it from doing any serious damage

She also has restraining glyphs as an option that Pol wont be able to break out of

>Unfortunately, Polnareff can shoot his sword, which travels through the air and plants itself straight into her skull.

Again, wont happen due to aura
Yes, but as seen in the tournament, just a few blows from relatively equal 8-C fighters is enough to deplete their aura immensely. Polnareff is 2x as strong as Winter. He is going to deplete it in a barrage of sword strikes that she cannot see, which I have established.

She never resorted to restraining Qrow, unreasonable to assume she would do it to Polnareff if he is just standing there, taunting her.

Her aura would have been depleted by the time she tries to retreat, hence why she is retreating. If she does retreat, Polnareff can launch his sword and now kill her, due to her weakened aura.

Also, maybe make a CRT to add the City Block level+ thing? I'm not knowledgable enough since I stopped after volume 4 IRC. If you are the only one suggesting this, I do not know if it is true.

she cant eveen affect Chariot since only stands can hurt other stands and the intagibility can help with that aura of hers so Pol gets my vote then.

Yeah we've already established in another thread that hamon, which is similar enough to aura has demonstrated the ability to affect both tangible and intangible stands.

I am fine with verse equilization that aura can hurt stands. It still doesn't help her see them though, so kind of pointless to bring up.

Hamon affecting stands?dint Joseph tried that but dint work?

If thats how verse equalization works then its okay,Polnareff will have to bypass that aura with raw strength then.

You and I are unable to tell how much her aura went down. It's like a health bar in a video game. It definitely did go down, just probably not enough to shatter it.

Yes, thats exactly what aura is, a health bar. Technically more like the overshields from Halo actually but you get the point, close enough. Thats exactly how aura functions, as a forcefield with a health bar.

Because people significantly weaker than her have taken barrages from people on her level and not had their aura go down.

Polnareff isn't on her level though, he's reasonably above it.

Tyrian was toying around with RNGR until Qrow showed up. If they actually took serious "barrages of attacks" from him post-timeskip RWBY needs a serious CTR.

Assuming she wouldn't take significant damage from someone with 2x AP and a piercing weapon is just NLF.

ProfessorLord said:
That's the problem, Polnareff is not on her level. He is twice as strong as her at least.
Plus the fact that he can amp his speed eveen more and attack her from multiple places.

Yeah,my vote is for Pol

@Dargoo Youre right, the difference between Winter and the weaker characters is actually 6x, not just 2x like the gap between Winter and Pol.

Ive already explained why having a piercing weapon doesnt in any way matter due to the way aura functions

Saying that Pol can get through a barirer that can block attacks from someone 6x stronger than you just because he has a piercing weapon is NLF, especially when the barrier specifically makes it so piercing weapons dont pierce

Back