• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which Precognition users should have Analytical Prediction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eficiente

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Continuation from this thread that also aims to rewrite our Precognition page. I just found the matter on the tittle far more important to point out.

Here's a proposal on the Precognition page: "Precognition is an ability that allows being able to possess foreknowledge of the future. The specifics of the power differs a lot depending on the user and verse, for example:

• The future that a user is aware of may be inevitable or reactable, with characters being able to take actions to avoid it happening.
  • The information that a user is aware of may be exact or interpretable, allowing multiple ways for something to possibly happen.
  • The future a user is aware of may happen in short periods of time or up to any other higher amount of time, of which the user may or may not be aware of.
  • The future that a user is aware of may be recognized in any limited way up to the most possible complex ways, as well even being aware of any amount of other different possibilities. This could also add other powers such as Clairvoyance, Self-Perception Manipulation, Information Analysis and more.
  • A user may always be aware of the future, may have to manually activate their power, or the power may work on its own under any kind of conditions.
As such, and similar to powers like Reality Warping or Causality Manipulation, it is required to always explain the nature of the ability on profiles (by it in the section of Powers & Abilities or Notable Attacks/Techniques) to properly inform others about them, as well as to avoid confusion. A character who doesn't inform complex aspects of the ability (for example, it being passive) will be assumed to lack those, and will be limited to what it has been shown, stated, suggested or would scale to have."

As for Analytical Predictio, here are some examples given in the other thread of characters who have that:

• Joseph Joestar via knowing that you are going to do and say next
  • Taskmaster via knowing your moves and which ones you are going to do next
  • Characters who say something on the lines of "Your chances of survival are [Specific number]%"
  • Iron Ma in Civil War ("This suit knows your next move before you do")
  • OVA Metal Sonic via copying Sonic, thus knowing his next moves ("You may know everything I'm going to do! But that's not going to help you 'cuz I know everything you're going to do! Strange, isn't it?!")
What we need to do is to see if any Precog user has this instead/too. And also what characters should have it as well.

Here's the precognition users category list.

Sixth Sense is ESP, so it more oriented to Precognition.

Anyway, the difference is simple, Analytical Prediction (although I would have prefer the name of Combat Intuition/Perception) is made by purely intuition or previous experience, without using nothing beyond the fifth senses. Precognition seeing directly into the future.

Wouldn't sharingan stuff work as analytical, due to how it senses muscle contractions or whatever (I don't know Naruto and am just going off of what I've heard)

Antoniofer said:
(although I would have prefer the name of Combat Intuition/Perception)
It was going to be "Movement Prediction" before until I pointed out that the applications should go beyond movements or even combat.

As for the 6th sense thing I guess it would depend how the 6th sense functions. If it's some other normal way of perception I'd go the latter since I'd also go the latter for stuff like feeling disruptions in the air that precede attacks to avoid them.

List of characters that have Analytical Prediction off the top of my head:

Sherlock Holmes, both the original and BBC incarnations (BBC incarnation even more so)

Mori Ji (His is contact based and as long as he remains in contact with his opponent, he can predict their next move)

This power is literally just precog, precog isn't just the ability to visually see the future, making a prediction based on what you have seen through info analysis and such is still precog because you are seeing this and knowing of events before they occur, things like Kara no Kyoukai explain this pretty well

Precog=Precognition which is being cognizant of events and actions before they occur

Analytical prediction as it is currently written still achieves this thus making it precog and a redundant page

I'm honestly not sure if this is accurate but I belive Kenichi Shirahama can recieve this ability since his Ryusui Seikuken involves understanding the oppenent and matching your movement with them

Composite Human

Basically:

Precog is an actual superpower that allows you to see into the future.

Prediction is the ability to make educated guesses based off of skill, experience or sheer intellect.

That's wrong though

Precog by definition does not mean seeing the future it just means being aware of events before they occur and this can be accomplished in numerous ways besides looking into the future

Precognition would literally be having knowledge of the future; weather it be a vision, or a voice in their head, ect. Clairvoyance would specifically be visions of the future. But yeah, having a hunch about the future wouldn't quite be precognition but just prediction.

Oh how did I forget him

Clifford DeVoe. The dude literally calculated events to the point where he could predict where and when 12 unrelated people getting on the same bus would end up when he tricked his enemies into opening a portal so that each would meet an accident and gain the exact superpowers he wanted.

He's also far superior to this guy (skip to 0:35)

Precog by definition means that you have foreknowledge of events and emphasizes foreknowledge of a paranormal kind.

The difference between the two is that precog is more akin to something telling you future events while preditiction is you making estimates and guesses yourself based off of avaliable information.

The dictionary definition of precognition is foreknowledge of events so you need to make sure to separate people who are just taking good guesses from people who actually have any foreknowledge of the future when going through and switching the powers

Precog has nothing to do with something telling you future events it's knowing them by any means

"being aware of events that will occur" is just way too broad and given that predicting things is something everyone does in their day to day life in some way giving literally everyone a power isn't needed. Most definitions I can find stress some supernatural element anyways.

Thoughts on the proposed changes for the precog page said in the OP?

Change the wording for precog from "Seeing the future" since that's clairvoyance to "Possessing foreknowledge of future events often through supernatural means" or something like that

Precog is also not looking into the future it's having foreknowledge of future events and can be done by other means than looking directly into the future so the wording should reflect that

Also the dictionary definition of clairvoyance is-"the supposed faculty of perceiving things or events in the future or beyond normal sensory contact" aka seeing the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back