• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Precognition and Analytical Prediction 2023 Update Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
This revision is based on the following linked thread: https://vsbattles.com/threads/analytical-prediction-should-have-its-own-page.151618/. It was a useful revision, but I have an idea that I think will make it even better. If you're curious about my full thoughts on this matter of debatable semantics, although what I think about it doesn't impact this revision proposal very much, then read post number 134 from the aforementioned thread. It goes in-depth about what I think of the nature of the definitions of the words, and it might give you some insight and a better understanding of this matter.

To help clarify how the diverse applications of Precognition can be expected to function across fiction, I think that Divination and Analytical Prediction should be separated into two sections within the Precognition page, with each having "Low", "Mid" and "High" levels of the ability explained. This revision aims to make the Precognition page factor in the many different levels of a character's Precognition in a fashion that's more organized than how it currently is, and to elaborate on specific kinds that can be observed.

I made a blog post demonstrating my vision: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:James_Plays_4_Games/Precognition_2023_Update_Sequel. Please review it and tell me if I could update the official Precognition page to it. If you think you can make slight improvements to my proposal, then feel free to make suggestions.

Edit: The revision no longer aims to separate the specific applications of the abilities into different levels, and it instead simply elaborates a bit on what the Summary already states. The purpose of this revision is to add known information to the Precognition page that it didn't already mention, such as that Divination can often overlap with Extrasensory Perception and/or Clairvoyance.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of regular users opening minor staff threads when the staff already have so much stuff pending and I'm stuck trying to clear out the backlog alone, but whatever.
Apparently, there's no rule against regular members posting revision proposals as staff discussion threads. I had asked staff members so I could be sure.

https://vsbattles.com/members/agnaa.7964/#profile-post-59437

https://vsbattles.com/members/antvasima.17/page-2#profile-post-58927

I have been planning this revision carefully, so I think there's no problem here.

Absolutely not. Precognition is not an ability that needs to be split into categories anymore than it is. It wouldn’t take anymore than ten seconds for the person adding or making a profile to just list the scope of its effectiveness.

We already went through this before. Answer's gonna be a resounding no. Leave it as it is. This is one of those cases where types don't help.

Hell, we're contemplating merging Reactive Evolution with Adaptation exactly because of stuff like this.

We already went through this before. Answer's gonna be a resounding no. Leave it as it is. This is one of those cases where types don't help.

Hell, we're contemplating merging Reactive Evolution with Adaptation exactly because of stuff like this.
When has this been done before? Also, to clarify, the distinction between Divination and Analytical Prediction is already accepted, as seen in the current Precognition page. My revision proposal is only to elaborate on the details. The system of three levels within both "Types" can be for informative purposes only, rather than to assert that people must add a subsystem of ranking the ability.

It seems unnecessary; the pages were already merged from past threads, and details on the ability were deemed enough.

Last edited:
Yes, the issue is largely the work that can be solved with a sample description rather than a wiki-wide revision for thousands of page.
I wasn't intending on a wiki-wide revision though... Only the single page that is the Precognition page would need to be changed for my revision to happen smoothly, unless my descriptions of Divination and Analytical Prediction have disagreement.

I wasn't intending on a wiki-wide revision though... Only the single page that is the Precognition page would need to be changed for my revision to happen smoothly, unless my descriptions of Divination and Analytical Prediction have disagreement.
It would end up being a wiki-wide revision of those pages with precog. Since there would be a change to the precog page as a whole, the pages that have it would have to be updated to fit in which is currently over 2,000 pages.

It would end up being a wiki-wide revision of those pages with precog. Since there would be a change to the precog page as a whole, the pages that have it would have to be updated to fit in which is currently over 2,000 pages.
I attempted to write the page's update to be close to what people already know Precognition to be, but if what you wrote is true, then I understand what you mean. Feel free to make suggestions on how I could improve my revision proposal, if you want to.

Well, I do agree about that these changes do not seem to be of sufficiently great benefit to warrant such a massive amount of resulting work to determine and separate into different Precognition types.

After thinking about this matter a bit more, I realized more of why the way that I initially proposed the revision was too much. My plan would be more helpful if it's less ambitious.

I significantly simplified the change that I was proposing. 2,307 bytes were removed from the blog post. In the first place, my goal was just to add known information to the Precognition page that it didn't already mention, such as that Divination can often overlap with Extrasensory Perception and/or Clairvoyance. Isn't it agreeable for this kind of information to be on the official page?

in response to the updated one

Regarding divination
Some characters are incapable of truly changing the future, and sometimes visions of distant futures are only seen through prophetic dreams, some sort of strict divine intervention granting the user this ability, or a different situational trigger.
This seems to be more of the case of how things function within a verse so I do not think this should apply as a form of limitations.
There are more nuances and semantics to it but I do not think this should be a limitation as it is usually only the case due to how a verse functions in regards to fate and destiny.

if we assume in general that the future is not set in stone but existing. we can't assume The Future to be set in stone when seen in such abilities unless shown otherwise (An example would be only being able to see or Divine things that cannot be changed) which is not that they are incapable of changing but rather due to the nature of it if that is the case

I agree that some form of Precognition is pretty much a high level of Cosmic awareness (Being completely aware of what transpires from the past towards the end of time) without the need to divine It

The intent to give more specifications there looks great. I believe its worth looking at again

After thinking about this matter a bit more, I realized more of why the way that I initially proposed the revision was too much. My plan would be more helpful if it's less ambitious.

I significantly simplified the change that I was proposing. 2,307 bytes were removed from the blog post. In the first place, my goal was just to add known information to the Precognition page that it didn't already mention, such as that Divination can often overlap with Extrasensory Perception and/or Clairvoyance. Isn't it agreeable for this kind of information to be on the official page?
@DarkDragonMedeus @Promestein @AKM sama @DontTalkDT @Elizhaa @Damage3245 @Mr._Bambu @Agnaa @Abstractions
@Qawsedf234 @Armorchompy @ElajRuengies

To help clarify how the diverse applications of Precognition can be expected to function across fiction, I think that Divination and Analytical Prediction should be separated into two sections within the Precognition page, with each having "Low", "Mid" and "High" levels of the ability explained. This revision aims to make the Precognition page factor in the many different levels of a character's Precognition in a fashion that's more organized than how it currently is, and to elaborate on specific kinds that can be observed.
No. Why? What is the ******* point? Are we just so against explaining abilities that every power needs to explain every possible application? Just read the character's page. We rejected the split before and this split is even more pointless and convoluted.

The simpler rewrite feels fine

in response to the updated one

Regarding divination

This seems to be more of the case of how things function within a verse so I do not think this should apply as a form of limitations.
There are more nuances and semantics to it but I do not think this should be a limitation as it is usually only the case due to how a verse functions in regards to fate and destiny.

if we assume in general that the future is not set in stone but existing. we can't assume The Future to be set in stone when seen in such abilities unless shown otherwise (An example would be only being able to see or Divine things that cannot be changed) which is not that they are incapable of changing but rather due to the nature of it if that is the case

I agree that some form of Precognition is pretty much a high level of Cosmic awareness (Being completely aware of what transpires from the past towards the end of time) without the need to divine It

The intent to give more specifications there looks great. I believe its worth looking at again
You're referring to information that's already on the official Precognition page. It's possible that you're correct, but I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss its validity, since the focus is supposed to be on what would get added if the revision proposal gets accepted.
No. Why? What is the ******* point? Are we just so against explaining abilities that every power needs to explain every possible application? Just read the character's page. We rejected the split before and this split is even more pointless and convoluted.

I'm no longer proposing that there be level separations. To make this clear, I edited the original post. 👍

You're referring to information that's already on the official Precognition page. It's possible that you're correct, but I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss its validity, since the focus is supposed to be on what would get added if the revision proposal gets accepted.

I'm no longer proposing that there be level separations. To make this clear, I edited the original post. 👍
I'm fine with this too.
@Antvasima @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Andytrenom @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Just_a_Random_Butler @Agnaa Is this revision to the Precognition page acceptable?

I would say to remove Chisato Nishikigi from the analytical prediction section for users - she's a terrible example. Better replaced by something like "Characters from Dragon Ball" or "Batman" because those are far superior examples of users of the ability that more people immediately recognize, and the list seems to surprisingly lack martial artist prediction users.

I don't even think Chisato is deserving of the ability on her own profile. She is literally just an aim-dodger.

I personally also think that this seems good to apply.

@AKM sama @DontTalkDT @DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Sir_Ovens @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Maverick_Zero_X @Crabwhale @Agnaa @Just_a_Random_Butler @DarkGrath

What do you think about this?

Did you check through the post I linked to and the wiki draft page changes that it linked to in turn?

I believe I still disagree with this for reasons stated above.
Are those reasons the ones from before I rewrote my proposal in accordance with the feedback that it initially received? If so, then it would be good to clarify why you still reject the revision, since no one except for you has disagreed with the rewritten proposal.

Nvm then looks fine. I was just browsing through notifications and some consisted of old threads being necroed. Plus I'm a little bit sick atm which also makes it hard to think straight.

But the new draft looks fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back