• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which Precognition users should have Analytical Prediction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You go to edit mode and check out the little scroll box to the right. Within it all of the categories for the page are listed. If you click on one of them, a trash can icon will appear. If you click that, the category will disappear. Then you click the edit/save button.

@Damage basically predicting someone's movements through your thoughts rather than reflexes if that makes any sense.

Bump. About my proposal to change the precog page that is in the OP, I insist on it. The page still needs to be modified and my proposal had some acceptation, which is not enough.

Antvasima said:
Just to briefly summarise what we need to do here:
Just a reminder for those who may have forgotten.

This may have already been covered but what is wrong with just making analysis and future sight separate types of precognition? They're just different methods of knowing the future, e.g. Pre Cognitio, it makes more sense to me for them to be sorted into types than given two different pages

One is a supernatural power and the other is based on skill. We also already have separate pages for them.

True, but both are centred around the idea of knowing what is going to happen in the future, which is the very definition of "pre" (before) "cognition" (knowing). Knowing things before they happen. Whether it's done via supernatural means or by analysis doesn't change the core idea of the power. We don't have a "causality cutting" page separate to normal causality manipulation for Sasaki Kojiro's Tsubame Gaeshi or Okita Souji's Lightless Three Stage Thrust simply because it's affecting causality via their sheer skill and not a supernatural power of theirs.

Then we can merge the pages and delete the new one. Better to do it now when it's only just been made and we're still trying to work out who to add it to than to do it later and have our work doubled.

Well, I personally prefer to keep the pages distinctive from each other, but that is me.

Let's not keep pages too distinct though. We don't want to end up with a P&A category that looks like the powerlistings wiki where every slightly different form of a power gets a new page of its own.

I just don't see the need for a second page when the existing precognition page can just be changed a bit to accomodate the idea of people analysing and predicting rather than just outright seeing the future.

I think keeping the page distinct and separate is best too.

If we wanted to go for pure efficiency of pages we could just keep the Elemental Manipulation page and delete all of the sub-types of pages.

Elemental manipulation is quite a different story. Fire, water, lightning, earth, ice, etc can all have very different effects and interactions.

Predicting a person's actions vs just seeing the future really only has one notable difference, which is that someone hard to predict would still get precog'd by someone who can just see what they are going to do, while someone who just can't be seen in the future could still get precog'd by someone who just analyses and predicts what their next action would be.

Considering how varied powers can actually be, that one difference is really not significant enough to warrant separate pages at all.

I'd say that if you don't want there to be distinct pages, fine. I get that but I'd say that we need to at least come up with some way to categorize different kinds of precog.

Because, there is a difference between people who make educated guess via observational info vs. someone who can see a couple seconds into the future vs. someone who can see entire divergeant timelines.

Well, I still think that these two abilities are different enough to warrant separate pages, but it obviously depends on what other staff members think.

Monarch Laciel said:
I'm all for distinguishing between the two, but that can be done simply by listing some different types of precognition on the precognition page. It doesn't need an entirely separate page on its own.
^Literally what I've been trying to suggest the entire time.

Just make multiple types of precognition since it's an ability that can manifest in many ways.

So the suggestion is that Analytical Prediction should be part of Precognition due to its supernatural status, is that it?

Seems okay, I guess.

Anyone would think that the Analytical part suggest that that no power outside intellectual capabilities take part of the power, and any supernatural, instintive or perceptive method do not counts.

I'm fine going either way with the page. Though I think this wasn't exactly necessary, we have plenty of unnecessary and pedantic Powers and Abilities pages as it is. That being said, the Precognition page already stated that individual pages should describe the mechanics of the precog.

Promestein said:
I'm fine going either way with the page. Though I think this wasn't exactly necessary, we have plenty of unnecessary and pedantic Powers and Abilities pages as it is. That being said, the Precognition page already stated that individual pages should describe the mechanics of the precog.
Well there was still the issue of analysis and calculations to predict future moves, but Matt clarified to be a form of low-level precog with his reasoning being that such an act is supernatural in and out of itself in most fiction, so right now I'm with Monarch on this.

Alrighty, once the Precog page is edited, I'll start editing out the pages that have Analytical Prediction.

Well, let's wait to see what people think first, and then somebody experienced would have to edit the Precognition page.

I think that the pages for characters who display Analytical Prediction should still list that, but it could link to the Precognition page, so long as there is an explanation of how it is distinct from other types of precog.

Damage3245 said:
I think that the pages for characters who display Analytical Prediction should still list that, but it could link to the Precognition page, so long as there is an explanation of how it is distinct from other types of precog.
Seems good and saves us a lot of effort.

Also, adding in the explanation of Analytical Prediction into the Precog page was kinda part of the plan all along, while still remaining distinct from full-blown precog.

We're just reversing it all, then?

The Precognition page already acknowledged that there may be multiple ways that characters use it, such as through calculations and following fine body motions. Any further specification isn't really necessary, honestly. This is why the page said to specify how it works on any given character's page.

Promestein said:
We're just reversing it all, then?
The Precognition page already acknowledged that there may be multiple ways that characters use it, such as through calculations and following fine body motions. Any further specification isn't really necessary, honestly. This is why the page said to specify how it works on any given character's page.
I guess so...

That was my conclusion to it on previous thread yet others said that Prediction does not equal Precognition. That was the main reason Precognition page was going to get revised. Now, everyone wants to link Analytical with Precognition page as a sub category. Just like Mind Control is with Mind Manipulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back