• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not fight you, I will kiss you on the forehead and call you nice things.
monkey-orangutan.gif

I want you to get into your car, drive to the tallest building that you can find, find a way to get to the roof of that building, stand at the edge of the roof, and then take a swan dive to your untimely meeting with the hot concrete beneath.
Chill out fella, it was just an unfunny joke. Thought I should have make it clearly that I was attempting to do a joke.

That was also a "joke". Probably.
Eh. Fair enough. I may have said the same for worse or for less.

A bit unrelated, but is there a powerscaling site that doesn't use reality equalization and uses it at the same time? As in, they have a key that explains where the character would scale with reality equalization and another key that explains where the character would realistically scale crossverse.

Because all the sites I've seen either use reality equalization or don't use it.

That's only true for western cartoons. The best way to learn about japanese stuff is to just read the manga.
I was joking. Of course reading the source material is always better than reading fanmade stuff.
Also western cartoons are not attractive at all. The art style is too cartoonish. I don't see how anyone could get attracted to most western cartoons unless they're realistic.
0 likes
0 positive replies
About 3-4 negative replies to this comment
Gigachad
unknown.png
That's what we call a ratio on Twitter. I have a tendency to suffer from a lot of ratios. Even when I say something objectively correct like "I hope that dude that shot that innocent single mother gets caught and pays for his disgusting sins" and a friend will reply to be saying something like "I agree" and still get more likes than me smh.
Even comments in my videos ratio the likes in my vids smhhhh.

In defense of Deidalius' recent take despite its common connotative meaning the word has for most western fans have it doesn't inherently mean ****. Dōjinshi literally just means self published manga. There is no inherent **** correlation despite what many thing. Alot of dōjinshis are completly sfw and serve only as a pashion poject by fans. Though this line of reasoning it can be argued that Deidalius' statement could be interpreted as "the best way to learn more about a series is though reading fan works" which isn't really too bad a take. Fan works can be quite a useful source for understanding the basic of characters and the general perspective of the series and characters by the fans. It can allow for an insight into the thought process of a community which can be quite useful especially if the community has long dead.
Also some series, such as Tenchi, have canon dōjinshis. Just because it's self published doesn't mean it's less part of the franchise than anything else.
And yes before says it I know Deidalius was specifically talking about hentia, I just playing devil's advocate here.

In defense of Deidalius' recent take despite its common connotative meaning the word has for most western fans have it doesn't inherently mean ****. Dōjinshi literally just means self published manga. There is no inherent **** correlation despite what many thing. Alot of dōjinshis are completly sfw and serve only as a pashion poject by fans. Though this line of reasoning it can be argued that Deidalius' statement could be interpreted as "the best way to learn more about a series is though reading fan works" which isn't really too bad a take. Fan works can be quite a useful source for understanding the basic of characters and the general perspective of the series and characters by the fans. It can allow for an insight into the thought process of a community which can be quite useful especially if the community has long dead.
Also some series, such as Tenchi, have canon dōjinshis. Just because it's self published doesn't mean it's less part of the franchise than anything else.
And yes before says it I know Deidalius was specifically talking about hentia, I just playing devil's advocate here.
Even playing devils advocate for that statement (I know of the actual definition of Doujins as well) its still a dumb take lol. The best way to learn about a series is to read the goddamn series, not read fanfiction.

Respectfully, I'd have to disagree. Most of the time, the best way to learn more about a series is by watching the series itself rather than the fanworks. It can be understandable if you prefer to consume the fanworks of a series rather than the main canon work because believe me, sometimes fans write stories that are more interesting than what the original author could come up with. (I won't give any examples because they might be opinions that are too controversial for this world.)

That and doujinshi (Or well, fanworks in general) flanderize characters a lot of the time. Encouraging people to consume fanworks rather than consuming canonical material leads to having a fanbase that does not understand their own franchise or their own characters.

I, for example, was guilty of consuming the fanworks of a series more than the canonical material of Touhou. That led me to misunderstand the characters and their stories. An example would be that I read a fanfic where Okuu was kind as hell, a really wholesome gal, lovely, very lovely. But then I finally played one of the games where she appeared and she ******* nuked me without saying anything beforehand. She just saw me invade the reactor and she just started nuking me. How rude. That made me realize "Wait, have the fanworks been lying to me? Is Okuu a character that's more hostile than kind?" Of course, ever since I started playing the canonical games and reading the canonical manga I started to understand the characters more and I noticed several differences between their fanon and canon portrayals.

As much as I love KKHTA, I must admit it caused irreparable damage to Koishi's image. For a while, people believed Koishi was a creepy crazy cool-ass edgy serial killer because some Touhou fans watched KKHTA more than they played Koishi's games.

The Touhou fandom for example struggles a lot with fans misinterpreting their characters and lore because a lot of them (Probably the majority) prefer to consume fanmade content of their series rather than play the canon games.

The same happened with Dragon Ball fans. A lot of the misunderstanding of their own series and characters come from the fact that they watched Dragon Ball Abridged rather than watch the original series.

Fanworks are not a replacement and will never be a replacement for the canonical material of a franchise. If you watch fanworks, you should always keep in mind they might portray characters different from canon and that you should not judge that franchise with the things you learned about it through its fanmade media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back