• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Virgo Shaka Tenbu Horin abilities rework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnshakableOne

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
My proposal is at the bottom of all this.

The Tenbu Horin is the Ultimate technique of all Virgo Saints. It combines both Offense and Defense together. The ability may seem straightforward with how it is presenting itself, but it's actually much more complex. Kurumada created this technique using Buddhist concepts in mind.

The Core of Virgo Shakas character is Buddhism. The Author, Kurumada, went through a great deal of research in an attempt to understand some Buddhist concepts to help better shape and conceive Virgo Shaka.

Kurumada: It was during Shaka 's conception that I had the most trouble. As he has attained enlightenment and is the closest man to the gods, I have come to envision him as a man who has acquired something beyond the Seventh Sense, and so, I read sutras. I even read Master Osamu Tezuka's "Buddha" (laughs).

The Animation team in charge of the Anime did a more polished version of Shaka's character. In the same interview; Takao Koyama had this to say in response to Kurumada.

Koyama: I think you've done considerable research. We understand this very well, for example, when you see that you have gone to Mount Osore to look for work bases there. Seeing how you find new ideas every week is also something that our staff are very interested in. When we plan to create an anime on top of a manga, it is first of all necessary to understand in detail how the manga is built. Because having a manga on which to base certainly makes things easier in a certain way, but in return you have to be careful not to spoil the content of the manga.

link to both quotes can be found here
Source:

By Understanding what Kurumada's goal was with the creation/conception of Virgo Shaka. Koyama took that idea and created a "better version" that "better matches" what Kuru was trying to achieve.

Everything about the character is Buddhist in nature. From his upbringing as a Child, to his posture as he stands, meditates, hand movements for his techniques ( Such things are called "Tenpōrin'in." which is used on his character profile on the official website as 転法輪印(てんぽうりんいん), etc. He was even named after a famous Buddhist clan that supposedly gave birth to the first Buddha; the clan of Shyaka which is pronounced as Shaka. I won’t bore you with those details because they're not important. That is simply to show Kurumada fully intended to design him after Buddhist concepts. What we are going to look at here is his technique known as “Tenbu Hōrin.”

Hōrin is the Japanese translation of the sanskrit Buddhist word for धर्मचक्र. This means dharmachakra (pl. dharmachakras). In Japanese this is pronounced as Hōrin. This is a direct reference to Buddha’s “Wheel of Universal Laws.” There will be more on that later. Tenbu is not a very important word. It is a word that originates from Buddhism but it simply just means “Heaven/Celestial” when used in this context for the Virgo’s Saints ultimate attack. So Tenbu Hōrin would end up translating into “Heavens/Celestial Wheel of Laws/Universal Laws.” Either one of those translations would be correct.

Now let us start talking about this Dharmachakra; The Wheel of Universal Laws. The first we will start with is the visual effects of the Tenbu Hōrin. We are given visual details of multiple different drawings of the “Wheel of Life'' (also called Dharma Wheels, but ultimately they are all Dharmachakras or wheels of universal laws.) “The Wheel” is a symbolic representation of the process/cycle of Samsara. The images in the hub of the wheel represent the three poisons of ignorance, attachment and aversion. The second layer represents karma. The third layer represents the six realms of cyclic existence. The fourth layer represents the twelve links of dependent origination. The fierce figure holding the wheel represents impermanence. A Dharma Wheel with four spokes symbolizes the Four Noble Truths. When the wheel has eight spokes, it represents the Eightfold Path and Buddhism. Twelve spokes symbolize the Twelve Links of Dependent Origination. Using the link below you can see “The Wheels.”

Using the link above. We can see various kinds of Dharma Wheels from four spoked wheels to twelve spoked wheels. Some are even Eight spoked Wheels. All of which are important references. As said above, the four spokes make up the Four Noble Truths, and Tenbu Hōrin reveals the truth of the Universe. This is a direct reference to the Four Noble Truths. The Four Noble Truths make up the Law of Dependent Origination which deals with the impermanence of things. The Truth of the Universe that Tenbu Hōrin reveals is Impermanence. What Tenbu Hōrin is; is a world where Impermanence does not take place. This world is a place where Causality is frozen. A realm of perfect peace, and harmony. Hence, why no one can move when ensnared in the Tenbu Hōrin.

The twelve spokes are a direct refence to The Law of Dependent Origination as I have mentioned above. This is best expressed as causality. That is, everything depends upon specific causes and conditions. The corollary to interdependence is impermanence. All things change. Nothing is permanent, all things are impermanent. Everything is in a constant state of movement due to cause and effect. That is the heart of dependent origination: Our experience of reality is dependent on other factors just as everything around us depends on other factors to come into being, and it is all happening in a state of constant movement and change. All things flow into each other in one way or another. Ultimately, dependent origination describes the progression that fuels this endless cycle of Samsara.

My proposal:

The proper ability to classify Tenbu Horin is control over the law of Causality, via the Law of Dependent Origination, which is clearly detailed out for us within the SS-franchise.

Abilities to be removed from Shaka

Spatial Manipulation
and
Paralysis Inducement

He's not spatially locking someone in place and he's not paralyzing them either he putting them in a realm where the Law of Dependent Origination does not take place. a relam where impermanence is frozen so nothing changes.

Ability to be added

Law Manipulation (The twelve spoked wheels within the Tenbu Hōrin represent the Law of Dependent Origination, or the law of causality. The Tenbu Hōrin freezes causality so all change, and impermanence ceases.) [If someone wants to write a better justification I'm open to hear it lol]

Sources used will be in the quote box below

Last edited:
So the spell put Shaka and his opponent outside the causality. Does that mean he's unbound by causality in his spell?

Sounds good to me.

Also, this makes sense for the description Kurumada gives to this technique in Next Dimension.

I agree with this.
Paralysis Inducement
This ability will probably remain on the page, although this ability is not for the Tenbu Horin, and is only a cosmos ability.

Last edited:
I agree as well. At the very least this makes more sense than "spatial manipulation".

This ability will probably remain on the page, although this ability is not for the Tenbu Horin, and is only a cosmos ability.
We'd need to add scans for this if they're not already on the profile.

Seems fine, maybe sprinkle in a few manga scans for reference
Eh there was a lot of scans that were referenced so I compiled them most into entire inmgur albums

Though I am having troubles formulating a better justification for the power.

Where was this done at? I just woke up and my mind is running blank lol
Eliminating the sense of touch can lead to paralysis.
8y8UW3V.jpg

Also the cosmos has paralyzed or prevented weaker opponents from moving.
46j8rXI.jpg

9jaT8rK.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
Kht0m17.jpg

Eliminating the sense of touch can lead to paralysis.
8y8UW3V.jpg

Also the cosmos has paralyzed or prevented weaker opponents from moving.
46j8rXI.jpg

9jaT8rK.jpg

-----------------------------------------------
Kht0m17.jpg
you make a good point, but those are a bit more special and should be its own CRT seems a bit unrelated to this crt.. how about i do a crt for that after this one?

looks like something that could be applied globally do classic gold saints.

Last edited:
you make a good point, but those are a bit more special and should be its own CRT seems a bit unrelated to this crt.. how about i do a crt for that after this one?

looks like something that could be applied globally do classic gold saints.
Yes, this is better for another CRT.

It is better to concentrate on the topic, which from my point of view seems fine.

I agree. This change seems fine since Tenbu Horin was always portrayed as such in it's different entries, even as recently as Saintia Shou with Shaka vs Dysnomia iirc.

2 staff agree 1 seems to be inclined to agree

everyone else does agree too

@Lancelot_de_Cancer also agrees and me and him frequently bunt heads with things related in verse

I think this should be okay to apply then

Spatial Manipulation
and
Paralysis Inducement

He's not spatially locking someone in place and he's not paralyzing them either he putting them in a realm where the Law of Dependent Origination does not take place. a relam where impermanence is frozen so nothing changes.
Isn't this not Tenbu Horin though? It's a different technique right?

This is fine though.

Isn't this not Tenbu Horin though? It's a different technique right?

This is fine though.
Well that’s what Tenbu Horins effects are on the wiki, before this crt anyway. People who are hit by it do not have the ability to move at all, so it was given those powers on his profile. But ig their getting replaced

I'm a bit busy fir a few days I'll respond once I have time
I imagine he's referring to that scene in the Temple of Cancer where Shaka seems to trap Saga, Camus and Shura in an illusion combined with a distortion in space (because they are walking through a distortion similar to the one created by Saga with the Another Dimension).
AFQ4uEt.jpg

tIey7er.jpg
This could indicate that Shaka has limited spatial manipulation and is an ability unrelated with Tenbu Horin.

Shaka can probably retain the abilities of spatial manipulation and paralysis induction even if the description of Tenbu Horin changes.

Although this has nothing to do with the purpose of the topic.

Last edited:
I'm a bit busy atm

But this wasy train of thought

But the spatial manipulation is based upon preventing ikki, and the specters from moving from 1 spot bit saga specifically called them an illusion

But also Shaka has the Tenpōrin'in which represents the "Turning of the Wheel of Laws." It acts similarly to Tenbu Horin by freezing the law of causality but without the Pocket Reality creation + BFR + active Sense Removal (think of nerfed Tenbu Horin.) Which shaka used that on Ikki. Once I have time I'll post those scans.

But also Shaka has the Tenpōrin'in which represents the "Turning of the Wheel of Laws." It acts similarly to Tenbu Horin by freezing the law of causality but without the Pocket Reality creation + BFR + active Sense Removal (think of nerfed Tenbu Horin.) Which shaka used that on Ikki. Once I have time I'll post those scans.
The Tenpōrin'in is just a method of concentration that Shaka uses to free his mind from doubts and does not seem to have any effect on the opponent.
yQH73ao.jpg

mMBBL51.jpg

B9jTmTs.jpg
Remember that removing the senses is not a power of Tenbu Horin, it is just an extra attack that Shaka and Shijima use after activating this technique, that's why Shun, Tenma, Shijima, Shaka, Odysseus, Saga, Shaka and Shura did not lose any sense after this technique was activated, even Asmita and Shaka in Next Dimension do not destroy the senses of their opponents (that's why Shun, Tenma, Shaka, Shijima and Odysseus did not lose any sense) and used a different attack like Tenma Kofuku or the Angyo and Ungyo, and in the case of Saga, Shura and Camus only lost the first sense until Shaka starts to destroy the first sense with an attack confirming that it is just an extra attack, even Saga also destroys the senses without activating anything like the Tenbu Horin and Shaka probably could also do the same outside the Tenbu Horin (like he can use the Tenma Kofuku, Om and Angyo without first activating this technique).

Last edited:
i'll finally have time to respond tomorrow since the whole run around with irl stuff is done temporary

I thought spatial locking was with the buddha's palm.

the justification for "spatial locking" comes from the scene where Saga, Camus, and Shura were trying to move through a palace, but they were really moving through an "illusion." Saga also calls it as such. lancelot posted the scans of that scene in this comment. I don't really see anything that indicates a distortion of space, and shaka is known for his widely known for his illusions which also seem to distort perception.

i just see a lack of evidence suggesting its spatial manipulation is all.

Edit: Lancelot believes that the dimension grids we see are similar to AD and as such he believes its implied there is a distortion in space.

The Tenpōrin'in is just a method of concentration that Shaka uses to free his mind from doubts and does not seem to have any effect on the opponent.

I went back and looked at that chapter looks like your right on that one. I thought he used it on ikki as well which is why Ikki stopped moving but i was just misremembering his posture.

2nd Edit: The justificiation for paralysis can probably be changed (not gotten rid of) given the scan lancelot posted which is definetly paralysis inducement with his Aura/Cosmo. which he posted scans for here.

Yea Shaka also used the Buddha Palm when Ikki tried to run Quadrillions of kilometers away from him but in the end was still within Shaka's Buddha palm restriction.

td79jcp.jpg

P6MlASy.jpg

AJYY0DV.jpg

Edit: Does it look good? no mistakes?
It looks good, although it should also be added that Shaka can use any of his other attacks within Tenbu Horin, since affecting the senses is just an extra attack, something that was clearly seen in Next Dimension or Sho, where Shaka and Shijima do not remove any senses from the opponent and simply use any of their other attacks such as Ungyo, Angyo, Tenma Kofuku and a cosmos attack.

Some examples of these are:

When Shijima attacks Odysseus.
s3vnav6.jpg

mrhRv7I.jpg

sTCumUn.jpg

4a2LqM5.jpg

Shaka uses the Tenbu Horin to stop the movement of the Neo Repulse (a comet with the power of three gods) and the attack of "Ares" (Lemur with the power of a god), and then uses all his cosmos to attack with Tenma Kofuku amplified with Om to try to destroy his target.
G2Dn1n8.jpg

P20 & P21
Ares/Lemur: Repulse stopped...
Ares/Lemur: Then...

PU6IeRH.jpg

P22
Mu: ............... Uh....
Mu: Alde.... Baran....?
Mu: I fainted?
Mu: And the meteorite??
Debas: ... It's alright
Debas: Look who's back
Mu: ...........!!

P23
Shaka: Sorry for being late, Mu
Shaka: You wew overburdened for a while

PiQNucm.jpg

P24 & P25
Shaka: You handled it very well
Shaka: But leave it to me now
Mu: ...... Pff
Mu: I knew
Mu: You would come
Debas: MU...?
Mu: Aldebaran, can you hold me?
Mu: I'll help Shaka with my psychokinesis
Aldebaran: ARE YOU SURE!?
Mu: Yes
Mu: I can't let him handle this alone
Mu: Because all life in the Earth is at stake
Ares/Lemur: .... Huhuhu
Ares/Lemur: You came, Shaka
Ares/Lemur: Look
Ares/Lemur: The one called "the closest to the gods"...
Ares/Lemur: Is nothing compared to me now!!

RhqVdHz.jpeg

P26
Saga...
Ares/Lemur: ...Who's
Ares/Lemur: Calling me?
Mu: Saga...
Mu: We were brothers-in-arms wearing Gold Clothes
Shaka: Your half-body
Shaka: With no place to go back to...

P27
Shaka: We will bestow you your rest!!

xuD4COf.jpg

Also, when Shaka realizes that destroying the senses is useless against Dysnomia, because it is a very weak attack, he starts to use other more powerful attacks in his second fight against her.
Qt70IWH.jpg

P12
Dysnomia: Your face doesn't change
Dysnomia: But I know you're thinking about it

P13
Dysnomia?: Such a shame
Dysnomia?: We can see everything from here, but we can't interfere in anything
Dysnomia: If we could...
Dysnomia: We would be gods, right? Hehe...
Shaka: ........ Yes
Shaka: So I'll have to defeat you and get away
Dysnomia: ..... Huh?

WIPNyiN.jpg

P14 & P15
Dysnomia: !!
Dysnomia: PERSONAL FIELD
Dysnomia: ... It didn't work...
Dysnomia: Are you already adapted to this dimesion... in such a short time?

In the fight against Shijima, the two never use sense destruction and prefer to attack with a much more powerful move like Ungyo and Angyo.
KsSFDZj.jpeg

HN8kGkZ.jpeg

0Z2Lxdn.jpeg

XkGeFH1.jpeg

zBVFFgV.jpeg

-----------------------------

LZjiMyC.jpeg

Hqu3UO1.jpeg

------------------------------------

kQ33I38.jpeg

4NGVL7u.jpeg

The destruction of the senses is only a attack that Shaka uses against weak opponents or to pressure the opponent (as he did with Saga, Shura and Camus because he wanted them to use the Athena Exclamation), but against the most powerful opponents and when he seeks to defeat them with a single move he uses any other of his attacks. Even Shijima, who does not underestimate his opponents, never seeks to destroy the opponent's senses (that's why Shun, Tenma, Shaka and Odysseus did not lose any sense when this technique was activated against them) and always uses a more powerful attack like Ungyo or Tenma Kofuku.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back